hp Pavilion dv6000 series AMD

..TheOne..

359 posts in this topic

I've seen some folks have problems with that distro for the 6000 series. The best results so far have been from iDeneb v1, Leo4All v2, v3, and v4.1.

Personally I'd recommend iDeneb or Leo4All v4.1 as they seem to have the best "drivers" for the hardware...and it's already set up as 10.5.4.

Maybe you could give one of them a shot. :D

ok thanks for the info. i have both Leo4All 4.1 and iDeneb downloading right now. hopefuly one of them will work. i couldnt get Leo4All v2 or v3 to work. the only thing that would even boot was Kalyway, but it was so slow i just gave up on it.

grrrr. so I used the ps/2 fix found http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=117359 and now my system wont boot.. CURSE YOU!! I Dont want to have to plug in a usb keyboard everytime I boot up my laptop

stupidly, i tried the same thing. now it gets stuck at "using 9830 buffer headers and 4096 cluster IO buffer headers"

if only some nice OSX dev would come along and design a version of Leopard specifically for HP/Compaq laptops. HP/Compaq's are the most bought laptops, yet they're the only ones with almost no support for them and have the most problems.

btw, Leo4All 4.1 installs fine on my system, though i couldnt for the life of me get the keyboard and trackpad working on my laptop. i plugged in both USB mouse and USB keyboard, as well as a USB > PS/2 adapter, none of them made any difference. i could use the external mouse and keyboard, but it never made the internals work like you said it did for you. the display/wifi patches worked though

Hi there,Thank you annunaki :D for your eleborate thread on IDeneb for your dv6110us.

It really helped me get started on getting this M-thing to work on my HP Pavilion DV9205us. My laptop has specs very similar to the dv6110us and so I started with the iDeneb 10.5.4. The dvd booted with the boot-password and the usb-keyboard tweak. Strange but it works on these HP's.

As I wanted to end up with a dualboot with WinXP I first used Acronis Disk director to make a backup image on an ext usb drive. This worked out great as at first to get my HD recognised for OSX-installation I needed to format the entire drive. It wouldnot erase only the MACOSX partition I rigged up in windows!

Although iDeneb booted, could apple-format my HDD and finished the install I could not get it to boot again afterwards. This was really frustrating!!!! :D

I noticed annunaki moving on to STAGEXNU and decided to give leo4allv4.1 a try. This one also booted (using boot-pwd & keyb-hack) and while at it made a 3-partitioned HD (WINXP, SHARED, MACOSX) and installed with the same options as described by annunaki a few posts down. With this one I managed to reboot after install, but only in safemode (darwinbootflag -x). As mentioned also by annunaki reboot stalls for about 8 minutes on the line:

InterfaceNamer: timed out waiting for IOkit to quiesce.

Patience is rewarded though!

After reboot I followed a's instructions on patching for GO6150 and wireless and after 2nd reboot I got 1440x900 resolution and wifi working like a charm. Sound is a NOT working however (my dv9205us has Conexant High Definition audio). No audio device is found and I have no clue what to do. I tried the several audio-patches but could not get it to work.

I currently have bios F3D where I see others mostly with F25 and several people with other HP systems are downgrading their bioses to old versions to get their sound working. I do not know how to get old bioses for my laptop so I havnt looked into this for now.

So for now I got leo4allv4.1 running in safe mode, can play around in MacOSX and I can make the following observations:

- with Acronis OS selector I can dual boot with WinXP (reloaded the backup image on WinXP partition, see above)

- only recognises the usb-keyboard

- On XBENCH i got a score of 59 and one of 49 on a second run.

- Both the power adapter and the topside of my laptop next to the trackpad seem to run hotter than with WinXP

- HP built in usb 2.0 webcam is working as on first startup OSX switched it on offered to take my mug shot for login!

At least I got the feeling I'm inside this thing, next step will be to get audio working. Anybody got any suggestions?

Thanks again everybody for all the help I found here on InsanelyMac!

Boriss

My Specs:

hp Pavilion dv9205us

• Processor: AMD Turion 64 X2 TL-50 (dual core)
  • Processor Speed: 1.6 GHz
  • RAM: 2 GB
  • System Chipset: nForce Go 430
  • nVidia NForce MCP51 SATA Hard Disk / DVD.
  • BIOS Version: F.3D
  • Video: nVidia GeForce Go 6150 128MB vram - updated in BIOS (17 inch Display)
  • USB 2.0
  • Wi-fi: Broadcom B/G WiFi 43xx
  • Wired ethernet - unknown
  • Sound: Conexant High Definition Audio (not working)
  • HP built in usb2 webcam (working!)
  • Ricoh 5on1 media card reader (have not tried)
  • 120GB FujiSiemens hard drive

Boriss, my laptop also has Conexant HD Audio, and I used the Azaliaaudio kexts included in the Leo4All disc to get my sound working. I am also running the latest bios. In my opinion it is not worth downgrading the BIOS since our laptops have overheating issues and the sound should work regardless.

You're welcome :)

What happens when you boot only with -v? Does the system hang at a particular point? What's the last message you see output?

I will try and see what happens. Does Darwin save the verbose in a logfile somewhere?

You're welcome :D

What happens when you boot only with -v? Does the system hang at a particular point? What's the last message you see output?

Changed to -v only and now boots ok. Still no sound though :(

Another keyboard issue: after some boots with usb-keyb the laptop keyboard works and then on another boot it does not :D

Still I get to like OSX more and more :P

On XBENCH my system scored around 50. I followed one thread for kernel flags suggesting to use FSB=800 to use 800mhz system bus instead of standard 200mhz. However in XBENCH I could not see any improvements ...

I also have issues with YOUTUBE, quicktime and other video apps. Supposedly this also has to do with my audio not being recognised. Anybody seen this before?

You're welcome :D

Another keyboard issue: after some boots with usb-keyb the laptop keyboard works and then on another boot it does not :wacko:

Still I get to like OSX more and more :P

On XBENCH my system scored around 50. I followed one thread for kernel flags suggesting to use FSB=800 to use 800mhz system bus instead of standard 200mhz. However in XBENCH I could not see any improvements ...

I also have issues with YOUTUBE, quicktime and other video apps. Supposedly this also has to do with my audio not being recognised. Anybody seen this before?

short question: how long do your laptops need to boot? it takes ages for me right now, got everything installed, but have a very high cpu load on kernel_task, activity monitor also shows 1 ot the 2 cores always runs at 100%., dv9000, 1.6Ghz AMD Turion X2, Nforce 430.

Excellent!

Another keyboard issue: after some boots with usb-keyb the laptop keyboard works and then on another boot it does not :thumbsup_anim:

This happens with my system as well. Strange as it may sound, here is what I do on each boot. USB mouse and kb are plugged in and I watch the boot process. I press the laptop space bar and the touchpad disable/enable button about 30 seconds into boot. If they work, the boot process will be just fine. If they don't work by the time the system gets to the IOKit message, I have to reboot. Sometimes I have to reboot about 4 or 5 times. Sometimes it boots right away. Weird.

I have not seen anyone get anything better than 50 on these systems due to lack of QE/CI

Try this for sound...

AzaliaAudio.pkg.zip

Sorry folks, I pointed to the wrong file for a while. It was for a wireless adapter. The link is now correct.

---

-aKy- and boriss...

You may also want to try and boot with these options to see if it helps a bit more...

-v idlehalt=0 cpus=2

Good luck and congrats on getting your lappy to work!

OK, what i've noticed: every time the keyboard and trackpad (which are both PS2 as we all know) are detected by the os, everything runs smooth and stable. but if they are not detected, system needs ages to boot and 1 core always runs at 100%, which isn't the case when i can use laptop keyboard and trackpad. So i think we just need to find a solution to make keyboard and trackpad working 100% and without having to plug an usb one on every boot. maybe experimenting with some different ApplePS2Controller.kext . I'll try that later today, will post results here.

Excellent!

This happens with my system as well. Strange as it may sound, here is what I do on each boot. USB mouse and kb are plugged in and I watch the boot process. I press the laptop space bar and the touchpad disable/enable button about 30 seconds into boot. If they work, the boot process will be just fine. If they don't work by the time the system gets to the IOKit message, I have to reboot. Sometimes I have to reboot about 4 or 5 times. Sometimes it boots right away. Weird.

I have not seen anyone get anything better than 50 on these systems due to lack of QE/CI

Try this for sound...

AzaliaAudio.kext.zip

---

-aKy- and boriss...

You may also want to try and boot with these options to see if it helps a bit more...

-v idlehalt=0 cpus=2

Good luck and congrats on getting your lappy to work!

Is there only one AppleAzalia package? I already tried the Azalia kext in leo4allv4.1 and later also another Azalia package (AppleAzaliaAudioADI1981.pkg) I found elsewhere on Insanelymac where it was also mentioned to delete applehda.kext and any old appleazalia.kext present. Both with no result. On the wiki.taruga list for HP someone says he's waiting for HDAPatcher 2.00b to get his Conexant recognised. Anybody have a status on this?

It also occured to me there are several kext-files in the extensions folder related to audio such as appleonboardaudio.kext etc. Does anybody know if any of these play a role in the Conexant soundcard issues?

Just to keep peddling on I ordered one of these usb 3d audio devices on amazon (just $2.74 :P ) to see whether another sound card will solve the video problems in YOUTUBE etc.

On my system I also noticed one cpu is constantly running 100% in activity monitor. Do kernelflags idlehalt=0, cpus=2 have any effect on this on your systems?

Does Darwin save a logfile somewhere when -v flag is used? The speed at which boot-messages run by always leaves me confused on what happened exactly at startup.

:P great going guys

I could really use some help with the video driver. Like you (I believe) I have a geforce go 6150 in my DV 9000 (dv9205us). I can install the nvidia kexts to the extensions folder.

But as soon as I move or delete the IONDRVSupport.kext, I hang on reboot, I can't get into safe mode. I can only get into single user mode. I end up formatting and rebuilding.

If I just install the kext files and leave the IONDRVSupport.kext alone, then it boots fine, but no resolution change options.

Problem #2: The Pavilion doesn't want to boot at all if I have a usb mouse plugged in. It seems to mistake the mouse for a USB drive because it reports base drive not found (or something like that)

Any ideas?

Update: Here are some additional notes.

Using Kalyway 10.5.2 to install.

high cpu load of one processor only happens when keyboard and trackpad are not recognized (kernel_task at 100% load). when they are working, everything is fine for me. should be the same on your laptop. luckily i've got no probs with the video, as the laptop has a fully supported Geforce 7600Go.

Hey everyone, I'm new to the osx86 deal. I did a search in the forums for a hp dv6000 (which is my laptop). Can anyone begin to help or point me into the direction of getting Leopard dual bootable on my system. I'll do my best to give as much info as I can. I have ubuntu dual booted but since I can't get it to work with my wifi I'm looking for an alternate OS.

I could really use some help with the video driver. Like you (I believe) I have a geforce go 6150 in my DV 9000 (dv9205us). I can install the nvidia kexts to the extensions folder.

But as soon as I move or delete the IONDRVSupport.kext, I hang on reboot, I can't get into safe mode. I can only get into single user mode. I end up formatting and rebuilding.

If I just install the kext files and leave the IONDRVSupport.kext alone, then it boots fine, but no resolution change options.

Problem #2: The Pavilion doesn't want to boot at all if I have a usb mouse plugged in. It seems to mistake the mouse for a USB drive because it reports base drive not found (or something like that)

Any ideas?

I would really recommend iDeneb or Leo4All v4.1. Too many people have trouble with Kalyway. iDeneb and Leo4All have most of the latest "drivers" / kexts.

high cpu load of one processor only happens when keyboard and trackpad are not recognized (kernel_task at 100% load). when they are working, everything is fine for me. should be the same on your laptop. luckily i've got no probs with the video, as the laptop has a fully supported Geforce 7600Go.

Same here.

I wish there was a startup script we could edit to ensure the ps/2 device drivers are loaded at the proper time. I think there used to be an rc.d or something in earlier versions.

+----------------+

:)

Lastly, sorry all...

I had uploaded the wrong file for sound earlier. It was for the Dlink DWL-G510 Atheros card that I'm using on the desktop.

Here's the AzaliaAudio package that should work for most HD Audio. If you get sound after installing this, but it is very choppy, you should boot with the flags "idlehalt=0 cpus=2". Sound will be proper after that.

AzaliaAudio.pkg.zip

so I finally gave up on trying to run OSX on my HP laptop. After about 6 different distributions and about 27 installs.. I got it working 1 time perfectly (minus the keyboard and mouse issue). Needless to say I found a ps/2 fix and tried that..But of course it crashed my system and I couldn't get it to reboot. After trying to reinstall another 6 times, I finally just gave up..

Would have loved to have done it, but it didn't work out as planned.

Best of luck to the rest of you, and keep up the great work on the distributions and these insanelymac forums.

Any ideas?

On my dv9205us I tried a stack of install-DVD's and only leo4allv4.1 with the STAGEXNU kernel got me a working install using annunaki's install notes. leo4allv4.1 is easy to get as a torrent.

i do not have any problems with usb mouse. For keyboard issues see several posts above

I would really recommend iDeneb or Leo4All v4.1. Too many people have trouble with Kalyway. iDeneb and Leo4All have most of the latest "drivers" / kexts.

Same here.

I wish there was a startup script we could edit to ensure the ps/2 device drivers are loaded at the proper time. I think there used to be an rc.d or something in earlier versions.

+----------------+

:poster_oops:

Lastly, sorry all...

I had uploaded the wrong file for sound earlier. It was for the Dlink DWL-G510 Atheros card that I'm using on the desktop.

Here's the AzaliaAudio package that should work for most HD Audio. If you get sound after installing this, but it is very choppy, you should boot with the flags "idlehalt=0 cpus=2". Sound will be proper after that.

AzaliaAudio.pkg.zip

thanx for the azalia repost. i blindly installed the Atheros pkg :wacko: and totally messed up my wifi. Took me a reinstall of leo to get back on track. Will give your Azalia pkg a try.

so I finally gave up on trying to run OSX on my HP laptop. After about 6 different distributions and about 27 installs.. I got it working 1 time perfectly (minus the keyboard and mouse issue). Needless to say I found a ps/2 fix and tried that..But of course it crashed my system and I couldn't get it to reboot. After trying to reinstall another 6 times, I finally just gave up..

Would have loved to have done it, but it didn't work out as planned.

Best of luck to the rest of you, and keep up the great work on the distributions and these insanelymac forums.

Did you try leo4allv4.1?

AzaliaAudio.pkg.zip

No luck for me with this AzaliaAudio.pkg :(

Is there more than one Azalia pakage? I tried several now with no sound yet .

edit: I can hear it!

System profiles still gives me: No built in audio, but when i tried playing youtube it made noise and did not stall after 3 secs! Beats me.. :P , Thanks again Annunaki, gues your AzaliaAudio did the trick after all. Itunes now also plays.

I'm taking this Mac step by step :D

On my dv9205us I tried a stack of install-DVD's and only leo4allv4.1 with the STAGEXNU kernel got me a working install using annunaki's install notes. leo4allv4.1 is easy to get as a torrent.

i do not have any problems with usb mouse. For keyboard issues see several posts above

thanx for the azalia repost. i blindly installed the Atheros pkg :( and totally messed up my wifi. Took me a reinstall of leo to get back on track. Will give your Azalia pkg a try.

Did you try leo4allv4.1?

yeah about 8 times

Ok, I'll see if I can find Leo4All today. I figured since everything else was working so well, it might be easier to just pop in video...how wrong I was about that one :D

I got some issues with video playback. I got Flip4mac and Perian 1.1 installed and can watch 720p movies in Quicktime. When I try any video in VLC however, VLC crashes. Videoplayback in Firefox is ok but flickers sometimes. Anybody can relate to this with regard to our Pavilions?

For PS2 I really would like to try this

dp="/Volumes/(name-of-OSX-partition)" <--- use quotes, no parentheses

nano "$dp/usr/bin/nano $dp/etc/rc.local"

# Near the end before the "exit" line add the following lines:

kp="/System/Library/Extensions/ApplePS2Controller.kext/Contents/PlugIns"

kextunload "$kp/ApplePS2Keyboard.kext"

kextload "$kp/ApplePS2Keyboard.kext"

but the rc.local file doesn't seem to exist on my computer?!