Complete Updates for Newbies and All -- Currently 10.5.5 Combo (Only Intel CPUs)

2,152 posts in this topic

Just wanted to share my experience.

Went from Kalyway 10.5.2 Install - to 10.5.3 using Kaly Combo Update

Then 10.5.5 Using Mysticus C's update patches.

Alls working well so far, except for About This Mac.

My 2.53Ghz Core 2 Duo, is being detected as 4Ghz ! :thumbsup_anim:

post-9173-1233372831_thumb.jpg

woah thx for the really fast reply thx man!

can u do somethng about the 2nd link though that ones not working rit enow it says:

ERROR

This file is neither allocated to a Premium Account, or a Collector's Account, and can therefore only be downloaded 10 times.

This limit is reached.

To download this file, the uploader either needs to transfer this file into his/her Collector's Account, or upload the file again. The file can later be moved to a Collector's Account. The uploader just needs to click the delete link of the file to get further information.

thx again

woah thx for the really fast reply thx man!

can u do somethng about the 2nd link though that ones not working rit enow it says:

ERROR

This file is neither allocated to a Premium Account, or a Collector's Account, and can therefore only be downloaded 10 times.

This limit is reached.

To download this file, the uploader either needs to transfer this file into his/her Collector's Account, or upload the file again. The file can later be moved to a Collector's Account. The uploader just needs to click the delete link of the file to get further information.

See post #1 here or here...... :(

thx again

First and foremost let me offer my sincere thanks to Mysticus. Your files and guide are the best and most useful I've found in my quest to upgrade from Kalyway 10.5.2 to the current 10.5.6. Well done, sir!

Wanted also to report my success with the project, and to let anyone interested know that it can be done relatively easily using Mysticus's 1.20 Combo Update patch files. That's not to say that the whole process is uneventful however as there were a few caveats.... at least for me.

In my case I had to go through the whole process twice. The first time round I chose NVinject 512 for my video, and had video issues to resolve. I also found I had no firewire, lan, or PS2 keyboard at first. The second time round I left all the video options blank, and switched my Logitech keyboard to a USB port. I choice to restore my lan from my 10.5.2 setup, and it worked, but I still had no firewire. I used EFIStudio to get my video setup properly.

More research led me to links on this site where I learned that the whole firewire problem is quite a common complaint. It turns out that using the 10.5.5 AppleHPET.kext instead of the 10.5.6 AppleHPET.kext resolved the firewire problem for me. I guess others have chosen to delete that kext altogether. I also found that I had to change the sound output setting to line out. It defaults to ear phones for some reason.

All in all it took me an afternoon, but everything seems good now other than the occasional hang when I shut down. As I said earlier, thanks to Mysticus first and foremost, and also to all those countless others who make this site so useful.

On to iLife '09!

Good luck with your projects!

Wing123

im lookin for the 2nd rapishare link .....

What is so special about that link......the links I gave contain the files.....?

hi there,

im on 10.5.4, to be precise leo4allv3 10.5.2, update combo 10.5.3 via kalyway packages & normal 10.5.4 apple update using netkas method. i manage to install this 10.5.5 with your method & before restart i already reinstall all my extensions using osxtools. the prob now, my CI/ QE & sound alc888 seems not working. my NIC fine but i need "-v -f -x" to get into my desktop.

if i were to leave it booting normally, it would stuck at the light blue screen. is there anything i could do to overcome my problem. ive try twice & the result still the same.

could any one shades the light here?

thanks alot..

Hi Mysticus.

How ya doing mate? I read that your were traveling on business.

I passed by to say that I´m missing your Update Packages. They used to work so fine for my rig that I´m still on Leopard 10.5.5 just waiting for your realese to update to 10.5.6. I hope you can delivery the package ASAP.

C ya and nice work.

[]´s

breakingbad.

I found this in another tread I will try in my 2nd install and report back:

"I had no trouble updating from kalyway 10.5.1 to 10.5.6 using the combo update and the netkas method, worked great for me doing the following steps:

back up your extensions/data

Install pc-efi 9 very reliable boot loader from http://######.com/index.php?option=...0&Itemid=48 open tools folder install bootloader.pkg. Ignore the dsdt stuff.

1. open directory utility enable root user from menu. set password.

2. open terminal type sudo su. enter password

3. in terminal typed without quotes. Enter.

"while sleep 1 ; do rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext ; done"

4.mount 10.5.6 combo, install while monitoring for appleintelcpupowermanagement.kext in extensions folder. Should appear and get deleted super fast. do not restart!

5. right click /System/InstallAtStartup folder. Get info. at bottom click lock and enter password. change permissions for everyone to read/write. Repeat step for folder /System/InstallAtStartup/scripts and for file /System/InstallAtStartup/scripts/1

6. Open 1 file in text edit. Find there Dont Steal Mac OS X.kext and replace with this dsmos.kext. save file.

7. if u have nvidia card move to trash all ati* and appleintelgma* kexts to trash.

8. Install voodoo kernel 9.5 with their setup package. http://code.google.com/p/xnu-dev/ only if u know you cannot use vanilla kernels on your hardware.

9. restart!

This worked great for me and i have tested it several times."

I installed on my dell xps m1530 using kaly 10.5.2 then I did the combo update to 10.5.3

But I could not get the 10.5.5 working. I used Mysticus's patch files and the official apple 10.5.5 combo and it installs fine but when I reboot and do "update -v" it starts dsm then continues and it gets stuck at one like saying it could not start some kernel service?? What must I do to update to 10.5.5 then to 10.5.6?

It is a an intel Core 2 T5850 @ 2.16Ghz, ICH8M Ultra ATA storage controller, SATA/ACHI Controller, ICH8 Family USB2, Dell 1505 wireless n, Geforce 8400M 128MB.

After installing the 10.5.5 update properly as Mysticus describes on the first page, It boots up then reboots as it is suppose to but after that it hangs at the apple screen forever. Maybe I missed some kexts that I needed to backup and replace after installing the update? Which ones, as I have searched these forums all over.

I followed the instructions and installed the updates from 10.5.2 to 10.5.5 but now I'm stuck. After I restarted I get a mouse pointer on the top left, the apple icon in the middle, and the loading spinner in the middle that just stop. And it just sits there... any idea how I can troubleshoot it? It's a Lenovo x61s and I was running 10.5.2 fine before.

Hi everyone and great job Mysticus C...

I'm about to update my kalyway 5.2 but I'm not sure if I have the right patches.

I downloaded a patch zip that was 60 some MB and then another one that was only

25 some MB.

Does anyone have a clue witch one is better?

Thanks!

p.s. Mysticus C, if you are taking donations you should but a link in your signature!

You are doing a great job here!!!!

Hey Mysticus C I installed Leopard 10.5.5 Combo update using your method and it worked, the sound, internet, graphics, everything was working. But 3 days later and now my sound is out, yet wifi still works. I've tried re-installing the AppleAC97Audio.kext with Kexthelper, but when I re-boot still nothing. I am using the backup kexts that are installed and still nothing. Can you please help me, I'm working on my iPhone app and I need sound to test it.

I'm running a Dell Dimesion 3000 with:

1GB RAM 2x 512MB RAM

Gateway Standard Speakers (though that doesn't really matter)

Intel Celeron Processor 2.6 GHhz

1 CD-R Drive (I use DVD Drive from other computer)

80 GB Harddrive

hey guys, sorry been away for a while, was busy with NC10 stuff earlier, and travelled around, and got back but for the last 2 weeks i ve been sick, barely done anything... apart from reading...

I am quite better today, but still seeing doctor tomorrow, and hopefully by the end of weekend, I will hopefully I will post 10.5.6 Combo Update patches for smooth updating... As usual mainly for intel cpus...