From Win32 to Cocoa: a Windows user's conversion to Mac OS X

17 posts in this topic

http://arstechnica.com/articles/culture/wh...-from-apple.ars

Windows is dying, Windows applications suck, and Microsoft is too blinkered to fix any of it—that's the argument. The truth is that Windows is hampered by 25-year old design decisions. These decisions mean that it's clunky to use and absolutely horrible to write applications for. The applications that people do write are almost universally terrible. They're ugly, they're inconsistent, they're disorganized; there's no finesse, no care lavished on them. Microsoft—surely the company with the greatest interest in making Windows and Windows applications exude quality—is, in fact, one of the worst perpetrators.

I totally agree with the article. It's just that developing Windows applications is annoying and devs don't care even though they put in considerable amounts of work in their creations. He's right, developing Mac apps is more easy and fun. :D

• 2 weeks later...

I liked the article, thought it represented an even side.

@Forceman Apple does it like that so people CANT write sloppy, crappy apps, that will crash the system. How many times have you had a cocoa app bring down the system? My total is ZERO. (I have had two system halting Carbon app crashes). Apple did a great job with Cocoa.

Exactly, rob356, while many applications for Windows will happily crash your system beyond recovery.

Another thing this type of control does is keep the app interface consistent. Makes it a lot easier to just jump in and start using a new app. With Windows (or Linux for that matter) you never know where they are gonna put things or what the shortcut keys are gonna be. Linux has gotten lots better in this respect, but Windows is a freakin' train wreak.

hmm.. but what about those games that only windows can play?

Well, that's what an optimized install of Windows setup for gaming is for. Boot into that to play, boot back into OS X when it's time to get work done in a timely fashion. Plus, since you're just using it for gaming you can dispense with all the cruft you need to use Windows on a daily basis.

I totally agree with the article. It's just that developing Windows applications is annoying and devs don't care even though they put in considerable amounts of work in their creations. He's right, developing Mac apps is more easy and fun. -_-

Maybe yes, but closed to only Apple machines.

Maybe a better approach for developing is Sun with Java, Netbeans IDE and other pieces of freeware that can run is different platforms.

As a web developer, mostly of what I program, goes to Linux servers which are different platform of my workstation. Java openness is great for different platform runtimes.

And what about Mono? Open .Net is a interesting choice that runs also on Mac.

Regards,

Lorenzo

Sorry for my english, spanish is my native language.

What about them? Yes there are more games for Windows, just like there are more apps. What is your point?

the point is for some people, there will always be some dependency for windows.