AD1984 used in Thinkpad X61 and L61 computers

jacob019

202 posts in this topic

@priitv8

well done, thank you sooo much. i got it working with your applehda.kext + appleazalia.kext + efi string provided by you.

x61 tablet svga panel late 2008

Thanks for the exciting news! But I have a rather stupid question, how does one apply the efi string? Should I put inside the boot.plist? Or just move that efi-string.plist file to some proper place. I've tried to use osx86 utils but didn't know how to do it.

I would be really grateful if I can get this sound working!

BTW: when one plug in the headphone, does it mute the internal speaker? I have had problem with that on another computer. Hope it doesn't appear on this one .

You take the EFIStudio.app, select HDEF from device list and click "Add Device" button. New window opens with both XML and binary representation of the EFI string, you'll update the PCI ID-s and Layout ID in the XML part (binary is updated automatically) and when done, hit the "write to com.apple.Boot.plist" button. That's about it!

You might want to save your conf in a separate file for backup. There are 2 buttons for this, but only the Save Hex really saves my new EFI string. YMMV.

And yes, the internal speaker is muted, when you plug the headpones in.

I've been trying to get audio working on my T61 for a few days now. The weird thing is, I had it working fine, then poof. I installed Kalyway 10.5.2 last week, had audio working after following the directions in http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=130425. Then I updated to 10.5.3, then .4, then .5, audio worked through it all, then .6 screwed everything up (something with video), so I had to reinstall. 10.5.2 worked, then updated to 10.5.4. Audio working. Made disk image.

Then I was trying to get my external display working, and I had to to force the system off using the power button a few times, then my audio stopped working, tried reinstalling using a bunch of different methods, sometimes it would work, but then as soon as I restarted or powered down, I lost audio. So i restored from the image, and i still didn't have audio. I tried the method posted by priitv8, and again, it worked til I rebooted. I can't find anything in the logs regarding audio. Where to now? I guess I could downgrade to .2, but I am trying to get to .6...

@priitv8

well done, thank you sooo much. i got it working with your applehda.kext + appleazalia.kext + efi string provided by you.

x61 tablet svga panel late 2008

Thx priitv8, it also work in my x61... Great JOB

• 2 weeks later...
Hello and welcome to everyone. This is my first post in this forum. It has been an immense source of knowledge for getting the iPC 10.5.6 up and working on my Lenovo ThinkPad T61 Widescreen.

As for many, the AD1984 HD Audio Codec has been a real PITA to get working.

Currently I am that far, that I have Internal speakers, Headphone-, SPDIF-out and Mic In working.

What I have failed to get working is the internal mic.

I am using the iPC 10.5.6 installation, EFI and AppleHDA.kext with modded plists inside.

The breakthrough came after reading chapter 4 of Intel book titled "High Definition Audio for the Digital Home Proven Techniques for Getting It Right the First Time". Upon little searching you'll find an electronic copy in the web.

That chapter copies most of the HDA spec document but in a more readable form. Also it was the only one to explain the importance and conventions of the pin configuration parameters "Default Association" and "Sequence".

The pin config defaults from Vista are 100% from this book. And that is the problem under Leopard, as it does not seem to like pin configs where multiple pins share the same Def. Association number.

Therefore I modded the pin config defaults in AppleHDAController.kext's Info.plist and created a Layout and Pathmap in AppleHDAPlatformDriver.kext's Info.plist

Although the internal mic on T61 should be analog (not digital) and connected to port C (pin 0x15), the path setup (0x09 <- 0x0D <- 0x15) is 100% analogous to external mic, neither do I get level slider for it, nor comes any sound through. I'd be delighted to get more details about the physical setup of this mic on T61.

To get the AD1984 ID correctly showed up in System Profiler and IO Registry, the EFI needs to be set up as follows:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1b,0x0)</key>
<dict>
	<key>PinConfigurations</key>
	<string></string>
	<key>built-in</key>
	<string>0x00</string>
	<key>layout-id</key>
	<string>0x0000000a</string>
	<key>revision-id</key>
	<string>0x00000001</string>
	<key>subsystem-id</key>
	<string>0x00001984</string>
	<key>subsystem-vendor-id</key>
	<string>0x000011d4</string>
	<key>vendor-id</key>
	<string>0x00008086</string>
</dict>
</dict>
</plist>

Pay attention to rather bizarre and misleading use of keys "subsystem-id", "subsystem-vendor-id" and "vendor-id".

And here's the AppleHDA, feel free to try it out!

how do I edit EFI?where it located on systems?

Thank you Priitv8!!! Also thanks to grandflash for the simplified instructions! Audio out (speakers and headphone jack) working great on a Lenovo R61 with ХхХ_10.5.6_FinalV2 distro

The plagiarised installation instructions from previous posts and some of my own:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To start, remove all of the following kexts from the /System/Library/Extentions folder:

AppleHDA.kext

AppleAzaliaAudio.kext

AppleAC97.kext

AzaliaTurboTP1984.kext

Some of these kexts may not be present if you have never attempted to use audio before. After you remove these kexts, delete Extentions.mkext in /System/Library. Then, restart the PC

Download the archiv.zip file from grandflash's post

Use OSX86Tools (Find it with Google) to install the AppleAzaliaAudio.kext and reboot

Use OSX86Tools to install AppleHDA.kext and reboot

Use OSX86Tools to import the efi-string.plist like so:

"Import HEX / PLIST", "Import File", Select the efi-string.plist, Apply the changes and reboot.

Thanks!! It works fine now, but... it can't be mute.

I got the error message from dmesg

Sound assertion "0 == fMikeyDriver" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-162.1.37/AppleHDA/AppleHDADriver.cpp" at line 1063 goto handler

Sound assertion "0 != readVolumeSettingFromCache ( pathSet, hdaSpatialChannnelID, &cachedVolumeMuteSetting )" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-162.1.37/AppleHDA/AppleHDAEngine.cpp" at line 1778 goto Exit

Sound assertion "0 != createVolumeControlForActivePathSet ( hdaSpatialChannnelID, direction )" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-162.1.37/AppleHDA/AppleHDAEngine.cpp" at line 1948 goto Exit

Sound assertion "0 != createVolumeAndMuteControlsForActivePathSet ( kPathDirectionInput )" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-162.1.37/AppleHDA/AppleHDAEngine.cpp" at line 6502 goto Exit

Anyone else has this problem?

Sound assertion "0 == fMikeyDriver" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-162.1.37/AppleHDA/AppleHDADriver.cpp" at line 1063 goto handler

Sound assertion "0 != readVolumeSettingFromCache ( pathSet, hdaSpatialChannnelID, &cachedVolumeMuteSetting )" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-162.1.37/AppleHDA/AppleHDAEngine.cpp" at line 1778 goto Exit

Sound assertion "0 != createVolumeControlForActivePathSet ( hdaSpatialChannnelID, direction )" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-162.1.37/AppleHDA/AppleHDAEngine.cpp" at line 1948 goto Exit

Sound assertion "0 != createVolumeAndMuteControlsForActivePathSet ( kPathDirectionInput )" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-162.1.37/AppleHDA/AppleHDAEngine.cpp" at line 6502 goto Exit

Yes, I have the same errors on Console but haven't found a way to get rid of them. Also no one-click mute for me.

• 4 weeks later...
Thank you Priitv8!!! Also thanks to grandflash for the simplified instructions! Audio out (speakers and headphone jack) working great on a Lenovo R61 with ХхХ_10.5.6_FinalV2 distro

The plagiarised installation instructions from previous posts and some of my own:

To start, remove all of the following kexts from the /System/Library/Extentions folder:

AppleHDA.kext

AppleAzaliaAudio.kext

AppleAC97.kext

AzaliaTurboTP1984.kext

Some of these kexts may not be present if you have never attempted to use audio before. After you remove these kexts, delete Extentions.mkext in /System/Library. Then, restart the PC

Use OSX86Tools (Find it with Google) to install the AppleAzaliaAudio.kext and reboot

"Import HEX / PLIST", "Import File", Select the efi-string.plist, Apply the changes and reboot.

bunch thanks, it works for me...my R61 7732 works just perfect!

I appreciate all of your efforts to make all things possible..

The AppleAzaliaAudio.kext is not needed. Only have to use the AppleHDA.kext.

And my friend try to modify it for Extra/Extension.mkext.

The AD1984Fix.kext works well at the same version of the ORIGINAL AppleHDA.kext, but the external mic didn't work at latest version. Has anyone can fix this data?

AD1984Fix.kext.zip

Installed OS X on my x61 (iDeneb 1.4, external usb HDD) four days ago.

This is the first time I've ever worked or seen os x. (previously had a four-year long experiance with Linux, than again 3 year up to now of WIN)

Have done everything according to the instructions. I can see the on-screen display when pressing the volume keys, but still no sound.

AppleAzaliaAudio.kext is loaded. I have found theat AppleHDA.kext (it shows as AppleHDAcontroller) is not always loaded when i reboot, but even if it loads, there is still no sound.

I can import the EFI-string as OSx86tool gives some errors in applescript.

I tried to copy the above provided efi-string form efi-string.plist to the com.apple.Boot.plist, but i think I made this wrong. I think this should not be so simple. By the way I have Chameleon bootloader 2.0RC1

Installed OS X on my x61 (iDeneb 1.4, external usb HDD) four days ago.

This is the first time I've ever worked or seen os x. (previously had a four-year long experiance with Linux, than again 3 year up to now of WIN)

Have done everything according to the instructions. I can see the on-screen display when pressing the volume keys, but still no sound.

AppleAzaliaAudio.kext is loaded. I have found theat AppleHDA.kext (it shows as AppleHDAcontroller) is not always loaded when i reboot, but even if it loads, there is still no sound.

I can import the EFI-string as OSx86tool gives some errors in applescript.

I tried to copy the above provided efi-string form efi-string.plist to the com.apple.Boot.plist, but i think I made this wrong. I think this should not be so simple. By the way I have Chameleon bootloader 2.0RC1

move the osX86tools.app into the applications folder, ideneb installs it in a subfolder, wich will give you errors.

in osx86tools app go to "add efi string / boot flag" -> "import hex/plist" -> "import file" (efi-string.plist) -> iport string to boot editor -> apply changes to com.apple.boot.plist

if you use chameleon 2 rc1 bootloader you could edit /Extra/com.apple.boot.plist and put the device property string like in the original /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

. i did this for audio, don`t know if this step is necessary.

Hello and welcome to everyone. This is my first post in this forum. It has been an immense source of knowledge for getting the iPC 10.5.6 up and working on my Lenovo ThinkPad T61 Widescreen.

Currently I am that far, that I have Internal speakers, Headphone-, SPDIF-out and Mic In working.

I am using the iPC 10.5.6 installation, EFI and AppleHDA.kext with modded plists inside.

The breakthrough came after reading chapter 4 of Intel book titled "High Definition Audio for the Digital Home Proven Techniques for Getting It Right the First Time". Upon little searching you'll find an electronic copy in the web.

That chapter copies most of the HDA spec document but in a more readable form. Also it was the only one to explain the importance and conventions of the pin configuration parameters "Default Association" and "Sequence".

The pin config defaults from Vista are 100% from this book. And that is the problem under Leopard, as it does not seem to like pin configs where multiple pins share the same Def. Association number.

Therefore I modded the pin config defaults in AppleHDAController.kext's Info.plist and created a Layout and Pathmap in AppleHDAPlatformDriver.kext's Info.plist

Although the internal mic on T61 should be analog (not digital) and connected to port C (pin 0x15), the path setup (0x09 <- 0x0D <- 0x15) is 100% analogous to external mic, neither do I get level slider for it, nor comes any sound through. I'd be delighted to get more details about the physical setup of this mic on T61.

To get the AD1984 ID correctly showed up in System Profiler and IO Registry, the EFI needs to be set up as follows:

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<dict>
	<string></string>
	<key>built-in</key>
	<string>0x00</string>
	<key>layout-id</key>
	<key>revision-id</key>
	<key>subsystem-id</key>
	<key>vendor-id</key>
</dict>
</dict>
</plist>

Pay attention to rather bizarre and misleading use of keys "subsystem-id", "subsystem-vendor-id" and "vendor-id".

I followed your method, yes, it works!

BUT:

the volume of audio input from mic is too weak. I can't use mic to record voice! any idea??

hi, i'm running into some problems and hope someone can help.

X61 Tablet, iPC 10.5.6

using grandflash's file collection in Archive.zip, I deleted all the old kexts, restarted, installed the new kexts, after another restart, they are loaded and in system preferences audio output shows up.

as soon as I import the plist xml using EFI Studio

- it adds the HEX under device-properties keys on the last line

2f0100000100000001000000230100000700000002010c00d041030a0000000001010600001b7fff

4001c0000007200650076006900730069006f006e002d00690064000000080000000100000028000

00500069006e0043006f006e00660069006700750072006100740069006f006e0073000000040000

018000000760065006e0064006f0072002d0069006400000008000000868000002c0000007300750

6200730079007300740065006d002d00760065006e0064006f0072002d0069006400000008000000

41100001e000000730075006200730079007300740065006d002d006900640000000800000084190

00180000006c00610079006f00750074002d00690064000000080000000a00000016000000620075

069006c0074002d0069006e0000000500000000

- after restart no sound device is recognized

- after restart AppleAzaliaAudio.kext is no longer loaded

- after restart Desktop background is strangely no longer loaded

clicking on volume up/down brings up the speaker icon, but greyed out, no sound to modify.

do I have to modify anything on the XML before importing?

any help? Thanks!!

<plist version="1.0">
  <dict>
   <dict>
	   <string></string>
	   <key>built-in</key>
	   <string>0x00</string>
	   <key>layout-id</key>
	   <key>revision-id</key>
	   <key>subsystem-id</key>
	   <key>vendor-id</key>
   </dict>
  </dict>
  </plist>

Installed VoodooHDA kext on my x61. Both speakers and line out work perfectly. Microphone does not work and I did not tested line-in. The only problem I had was the distorted noise after sleep, but the trick with unloading/loading the kext by means of SleepWatcher helps.

• 5 weeks later...

It was working through the speakers for a few boots (using the approach here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=130425 ) - which essentially means I was using boneyfish's AzaliaTurboTP1984.kext.

Then all of the sudden, a few boots later, there is no volume control, and no devices in preferences::sound::output devices. I read somewhere that the modem on the T61 shares the same bus or interrupt as the sound card, and wonder if that could be interfering. I'm not using the modem, but perhaps the driver is loading in a random sequence?

Anyone know the trick to making it work consistently?

To get my sound back, I tried these steps:

Removed the following from /System/Library/Extentions folder:

AppleHDA.kext

AppleAzaliaAudio.kext

AppleAC97.kext

AzaliaTurboTP1984.kext

Deleted Extentions.mkext in /System/Library

Used Kext Helper to install AD1984Fix.kext.

Still no sound.

I'm not clear on where to change the Info.plist in priitv8's post. I installed osx86tools, but there was no "import" option folks are talking about. The closest I could find was a "Add EFI Strings/Boot Flag" function. I tried pasting the plist junk from priitv8's post where it says "Enter EFI string here". Apparently that did not work, because when I reboot and go to the system profiler, the Audio device is still simply "intel high definition audio: dev id: 0x17aa20ac", with other parameters detected.

I also tried installing EFI Studio. No import option there either. Do I need to run the EFI installation? That seems like a serious change to the system, and I don't want to try it without some reassurance that it won't break the machine.

[edit] I also tried the suggestion above: "move the osX86tools.app into the applications folder, ideneb installs it in a subfolder, wich will give you errors.

in osx86tools app go to "add efi string / boot flag" -> "import hex/plist" -> "import file" (efi-string.plist) -> iport string to boot editor -> apply changes to com.apple.boot.plist"

and still no sound detection.

It's really aggravating that sound was working, and then out of the blue stopped working.

• 1 month later...

AppleHDA.kext

AppleAzaliaAudio.kext

AppleAC97.kext

AzaliaTurboTP1984.kext

Hello, i have lenovo R61i, and it doen't work.

I removed upper kext and instaled AppleAzaliaAudio.kext and AppleHDA.kext and to end efi-string.plist.

No sound, keys of volume doent'n work. When i look at OSx86 at Vendor ID i see that my sound card is : 0403.

I change efi-string.plist and i have sound at spekers, that in speaker jack is mute. :(.

My model R61i is 7650, anybody has all sound on this computer?

• 2 months later...

<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<dict>
	<string></string>
	<key>built-in</key>
	<string>0x00</string>
	<key>layout-id</key>
	<key>revision-id</key>
	<key>subsystem-id</key>
	<key>vendor-id</key>
</dict>
</dict>
</plist>

Hi there priitv8

long time no read ..

In this thread

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...7574&st=520

we're trying everything to get our Lenov X61's working fully under SnowLeopard (x32 and x64).

My question is:

As you already provided a Pin-modded AppleHDA for 10.5.1 could you do such thing also for SnowLeopard 10.6.2 x64 ?

Did you get any further ? Or could you provide more details on the modding ?

for example:

Do I need this tool

http://www.kexts.com/view/12-hdaenabler_(32--64-bit).html

to inject the pin-modded AppleHDA ?

THX so much!

• 1 month later...