Modified BIOS to get all cores working

Kabyl

1,884 posts in this topic

Thanks Order2Chaos. I did try that. What happens is that the system boots up, the floppy drive light comes on, there's some initial floppy reading which stops after a couple of seconds after which the drive light stays on but there's no seeking/reading activity from the floppy. Then after 10 seconds or so, the same initial floppy seeks happen again and then the system starts a slow-3-Beep/silence cycle. The monitor stays off no matter what.

If the same thing happens if I use Windows + b or all 4 directional arrows, which are other key combinations used to force the BIOS to load a ROM image from floppy.

Since there is floppy activity, and since I can turn the computer on and off using the power switch, I suspect that what I'm supplying the BIOS on the floppy isn't what it's looking for. I've tried taking a look at the BootBlock to find what it could be looking for, but I can't seem to de-compile it the same way as the DSDT. From what I've been reading, HP is quite secretive about recovering busted BIOSes (good $ in that, I guess). There's an SPI header on this mobo with a Jumper marked "BIOS RECOVER" but from what I've been reading I'd need a special programmer to do anything with that.

Thanks for the help :)

I had exactly the same problem with my Acer AM5620 motherboard (AMI Bios and motherboard seems to be an ECS G33 M2 OEM). Done myself the Bios modification, had to fix the "one byte difference" problem, flash using AMI tool (I think the "Erase Boot Block" option is "on" by default) and reboot ... the mother board starts beeping : long beep then few small beeps....

Try recovery mode with a floppy, copy onto the floppy the original bios I had with the appropriate name (before flashing, I used the AMI tool to download the original Bios copy... just in case...) and after a few seconds of disk activity, beeps again. I reboot and now the CPU starts and stop within few seconds. No more beeps. Motherboard seems to be dead.

After I realized that the flash chip on my mother board was a 2Mbit one and that I modified and dowloaded the 1Mbit version that came from the Acer support site. So I unsoldered the flash, hook it to a microcontroller kit I have, wrote a small program and flash it again with the original 2Mbit bios from Acer.... resolder .. reboot and ... same CPU on and off pattern for seconds without any beeps.

I bought a Gibabyte mother board and new case and rebuilt my config. I will continue to investigate what went wrong later and try to recover my Acer motherboard.

Kabyl .. youd better take the f3jc one from that site cause it killed my laptop. Its already getting fixed so I'll probably be OK but just to make sure others dont get... harmed :unsure: .

Thanks for your attempts!

Are you referring to this one: http://rs207.rapidshare.com/files/10469169...JcAS306_mod.zip ?

I'm having issues getting past boot [and into the installer] due to kernel panic on ACPI_SMC_Platformplugin, would a modified bios help?

cheers -_-

edit: nevermind, by installing bios 304 i got around this problem

Well, I guess the title says it all, after spending a lot of time reading Documentations, Specifications, Forums.. and hunting for testers :P , I finally got tehmachacker (thank you) to test a modified BIOS, and as expected, it worked.

This is the issue that intends this mod to fix:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=78235

Basically, what I'm doing is modifying and fixing errors in the DSDT; removing aliases for the "processor" devices, because the ACPIPlatform kext doesn't like them and treat them as other CPUs.. (it's written for Macs, and Apple doesn't use that in their Firmware's ACPI Tables, actually I don't see why we need them, well..)

I for example change this:

Scope (_PR)
		   {
			   Processor (P001, 0x01, 0x00000810, 0x06) {}
			   Alias (P001, CPU1)
		   }

into:

Scope (_PR)
		   {
		   }

Sometimes I have to fix more stuff.. you should know that when you try to compile your DSDT.

So if you want to get a fixed BIOS, you can PM me post your request here, included with:

• a direct link to the BIOS file,
  • your PC specs (CPU, Chipset and Graphics Card),
  • and a description of the issues.

Don't PM me with requests, post them in this thread.

You will find some of the modified BIOSes here.

Keep in mind that I take no responsibility for a bad flash or if anything goes wrong..

NOTE: About Dell laptops, I'm still trying to find the cause of the issues, so if anyone has any suggestions, you're welcome :( .

Hi, I have a HP 7800MT with Intel QardCore 9450 , Q33 chipset, and I can only boot all the three releases of leopard to hit the error ACPI_SMC_ctrlloop error with 16550 com prot found. Here is the link for the BIOS which I could not set the Sata disk to AHCI ( only IDE/Raid) , is it possible to mod the bios so I can install Leopard on it? ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp38501-39000/sp38811.exe ?

Thx

Hi Kabyl,

Would possible to modify the Eeepc 1000H BIOS? so it will be working.

Here is the site:

http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=eng

Eee Family

Eee PC

Eee PC 1000H/XP

Thanks in advance.

I tried to edit my 1b module using MMTools, Iasl and Winhex, but it seems only one DSDT string and when I Iasl -d mydsdt.aml, it say no table.

Kabyl, how did you mod the eeepc90111001bios? Could you it for the eeepc1000H?

Thanks again, I hope you will login in again in this forum.

Hi,

Can you please do something with regards to the following Motherboard?

It's the motherboard of a HP Pavilion Media Center TV m8180.nl HP mentions the motherboard as an IPIBL-LA. Which is actually an Asus Berkely Motherboard.

You can find the bios file here. It's an executable to install a new bios version using windows.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwar...093&lang=en

Proc Intel Quadcore Q6600

8GB DDR800 mhz RAM

GPU XFX Geforce 8800GT

Thanks for your help.

Well, I guess the title says it all, after spending a lot of time reading Documentations, Specifications, Forums.. and hunting for testers :P , I finally got tehmachacker (thank you) to test a modified BIOS, and as expected, it worked.

This is the issue that intends this mod to fix:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=78235

Basically, what I'm doing is modifying and fixing errors in the DSDT; removing aliases for the "processor" devices, because the ACPIPlatform kext doesn't like them and treat them as other CPUs.. (it's written for Macs, and Apple doesn't use that in their Firmware's ACPI Tables, actually I don't see why we need them, well..)

I for example change this:

Scope (_PR)
			{
				Alias (P001, CPU1)
			}

into:

Scope (_PR)
			{
			}

Sometimes I have to fix more stuff.. you should know that when you try to compile your DSDT.

So if you want to get a fixed BIOS, you can PM me post your request here, included with:

• a direct link to the BIOS file,
  • your PC specs (CPU, Chipset and Graphics Card),
  • and a description of the issues.

Don't PM me with requests, post them in this thread.

You will find some of the modified BIOSes here.

Keep in mind that I take no responsibility for a bad flash or if anything goes wrong..

NOTE: About Dell laptops, I'm still trying to find the cause of the issues, so if anyone has any suggestions, you're welcome ;) .

Hi there,

I'm trying to mod the BIOS of my laptop, a HP nc6320, because only works with one of the two cores and I have to put cpus=1 in the boot.

So when I saw this post I thought I had the same problem.

Well, I have installed a Linux in my laptop to dump and disassemble the dsdt with acpidump and iasl, the thing is that I haven't found anything like the example above, you can check the attach file.

I don't know how to solve the cores problem if it's not of the dsdt, any suggests??

I attach my dsdt.

Thank you so much.

dsdt.rar

Kabyl:

http://rapidshare.com/files/105762425/G1Sn202AS_mod.zip.html (WORKING)

You created this BIOS and it works perfect (friggin' awesome). Once people start to calm down with their Core fix requests from you, do you think you could edit this BIOS again so that the fan speed takes into account the GPU temperatures as well. The fan speed on ASUS notebooks is controlled by the CPU temps., so people with the G1 and G2 and other gaming notebooks are pretty much out of luck when we need to OC our GPU's and keep them cool.

Please let me know if this type of fix would be possible without removing the CPU temp. correlation, so that if either the GPU or CPU get above a certain threshold, then the fan is adjusted accordingly.

I know there will be a lot of happy users for this fix, and when it comes to editing BIOS'es: There just isn't anyone that knows anything about it, especially me. I was going to see if there was anyone else that might help, but then I remembered I would lose my OS X (vanilla kernel!) multiboot, if I didn't have this specific BIOS adjusted. So if you could accomplish this, you would be a lifesaver.

Thanks,

Mike

So Limini, 1. Sorry about your current problem, hopefully you will be able to get it restored, w/o buying a board, the one I picked out if I screw up mine is Intel® Desktop Board DG33TL, it looks compatible with the HP size, and looks very mac friendly.

until then, I am either gonna get my bios edited here, or try to do it myself [then buy the replacement when I #$#$ it up]

2. What did you use toe extract your bios from the exe that HP supplies them? I read about something called universal extractor, and got a copy, but I am trying to compile as much info + resources before I actually sit down an try this. Off topic, anyone know why when I try to save this topic as a html, or a printed item, it only runs until the middle of april?!

anyway, more info as it comes, and if any kinder soul out there wants to try my bios, its here:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwar...0550&dlc=en

the board is:

ASUS IPIBL-LA / Berkeley-GL8E

and the link for the current sucky HP bios:

and the problem details,

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=98145#

anyway, still reading up on this

Kenny

Bump! I have an HP m9000t with the ASUS IPIBL-LA / Berkeley-GL8E mobo w/ the 5.13 bios as well. Any help would be appreciated!

Hi how are you , i was just wondering if you could mod a bios for me, i have an acer travelmate 6592g. if possible i would like you to take a look adn see if its possible to mod the bios as follows- but please rad below and let me know.

hi i have an acer 6592g, i flashed the bios to the latest, becuase of fan and heat issues, but after the update , the keyboard and mouse aren't working properly, i downgraded to the original bios, but problem is the same.

i have been poking around the bios files, and i have noticed that after a certain version number- the bios has support to flash SST25VF080B, now i also noticed in later bios releases there is an update called KBBIOS and its updated to version ver .50. and also the EC bios with the same version number.

Now i suspect that the information i want to flash, so that the keyboard and trackpad return to their original state, is contained in that part SST25VF080B, which earlier version of the bios dont support for flashing, and later verision have the KBBIOS update already on it.

here is a section for the log for bios version 1.52- version after 1.32 have the ability to flash SST25VF080B.

Device name : W25X80 (001300EF)

Version label: ALPHA

Block info : 16X64K

Looking for Text descriptor...

Device name : MX25l800 (001300C2)

Device name : SST25VF080B (008E00BF)

Block info : 32X32K

Looking for the platform descriptor ...

Looking for the keyboard table ...

Looking for the IBM table...

Looking for the nic descriptor ...

where as versions before 1.32 do not have support for flashing part SST25VF080B

Looking for the part table structure...

Part table contains 2 device(s)...

Looking for part descriptor...

Looking for part descriptor...

Looking for the text descriptor table structure...

Device name : W25X80 (001300EF)

Device name : MX25l800 (001300C2)

Looking for the platform descriptor ...

Looking for the keyboard table ...

Looking for the IBM table...

Looking for the nic descriptor

so i guess the easiest way is to get a bios version between 1.32 and 1.32.02- all have support for SST25VF080B (008E00BF) but critically dont have the KBBIOS. So if any one with an acer travelmat 6592g and have the bios 1.32, 1.32.01 or 1.32.02 please let me know

And the other option, is can i edit the bios version after 1.32 to remove the KBBIOS update or can i downgrade the KBBIOS. I beleive this is all part of the EC BIOS - so if its possible to downgrade the EC bios section that would be great. Now if you are able to even mod version 1.52 by changing the ECBios or KBBBIOS to a lower version, i beleive i will get the keyboard and trackpad functionality back.

http://rapidshare.com/files/134344486/v1.52.zip.html (bios v1.52)

http://rapidshare.com/files/134345765/bios.rar.html (all other bios version)

thanks

thanks in advance, i hope this all made sense.

Maybe somebody can help me!!

I am new with hackintosh and I have a TOSHIBA laptop working with Leo4All v3, but with only 1 core working...

The only way to get my 2 cores working is with a modified bios???

Thanks for any help!

I can see that you're inundated with requests for modded bios' but I would also like one corrected.

*HP nc8430 (see attached CPUz file for specs)

*the bios can be found here: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechS...Item=ob-57210-1

*same issue as everyone else... unable to boot unless the cpus=1 command is used.

Thank you so much!

Just wanted to give this another bump. Thanx for all your hard work!

Hey Kabyl, can you give a try for me ?:( I had an Acer Aspire 5620Z-4636 with Intel Pentium Dual Core T2330 1.6 Ghz. With Intel 960 Chipset and Intel GMA X3100 Integrated graphics. I run on one core. That's possible with your bin to flash my bios and take it back to two core and fix those {censored} ACPI errors when I install it... Appreciated your answer and keep on working hehe!

Well someone modified bios for my board allready, but it still doesnt work.

Cant get past "waiting for root device".

Cause of the fact this OS distribution doesnt support my ICH10r chipset thus failing to recognize the very same DVD drive it was booted from (LMAO). :)

I have 2 SATA drives and 1 EIDE drive. I want to install to this IDE like I have in the past on my AMD platform.

I thought buying Intel is gonna be easier than AMD. I guess I was mistaken.

My board: P5Q PRO.

Well someone modified bios for my board allready, but it still doesnt work.

Cant get past "waiting for root device".

Cause of the fact this OS distribution doesnt support my ICH10r chipset thus failing to recognize the very same DVD drive it was booted from (LMAO). :)

I have 2 SATA drives and 1 EIDE drive. I want to install to this IDE like I have in the past on my AMD platform.

I thought buying Intel is gonna be easier than AMD. I guess I was mistaken.

My board: P5Q PRO.

I believe the "waiting for root device" message has nothing to do with your BIOS: it just means that your OS X install can't find the "root device" and as you've noticed has to do with your chipset. If you have a SATA DVD try plugging it into SATA 0 or SATA 1 on your motherboard and try the install from there. If that doesn't work try using "IDE" instead of "AHCI" in the BIOS.

I'm starting to find this entire thread a bit ludicrous as many people funnel all their problems down to the BIOS. The fundamental problem with this solution is that everyone who subscribes to it are locking themselves down to the hacked BIOS and if anything of value gets revised for their motherboard they con't upgrade unless the BIOS is modified again.

It seems to me that a real solution to the problems mentioned in the original post would be better handled at a low level layer like netkas' EFI, leaving the BIOS out of the solution.

Could you mod my bios?

Motherboard: ASUS M2N32SLI Deluxe

CPU: Phenom 9500+

Shows 1 core in System Profiler, but it does show 4 cores in Activity Monitor.

It just doesn't seem to be as quick as my P4 setup I used to have with Leopard.

Anyways here is the link to my bios:

http://rapidshare.com/files/134659307/MYBIOS.BIN.html

It needs to be that bios, its actually Asus Bios 2001 for my motherboard but with some SLIC information :D

I appreciate any and all help with this.

Well I know it cant be the bios fault. Im only seeing people who managed to install Leo on their machines with same motherboard etc. the only difference was they were using SATA or USB DVD drive while I use EIDE.

Is there any distro out there that supports Marvell controller? So I can use my DVD. Or do I reall have to go out and buy a SATA one?

If I buy SATA DVD and I still dont manage to setup Leo I will be pissed as hell. :*/