AppleIntelPIIXATA kext fully working for all ICHx Mobo (All Sata Channels working)

-DuNe-

418 posts in this topic

Just to confirm:

I own a ga-p35-ds3r rev 2.1. I used this kext and it worked wonderfully! Now I don't have to change from AHCI mode to IDE when booting into windows! Cool! (In the bios I have AHCI disabled).

But, if you've deleted/removed your JMicron.kext, you will no longer have any functionality out of your JMicron controller (the two purple ports and IDE port). I tried using the original JMicron kext, and I STILL got a kernel panic while moving large amounts of data. Although I must say, this driver is awesome! My computer definitely feels a little snappier, and the panic happened later than usual, which I take as being a sign of the stability of this new driver. AWESOME and thank you!

Hi again,

Just to confirm:

But, if you've deleted/removed your JMicron.kext, you will no longer have any functionality out of your JMicron controller (the two purple ports and IDE port). I tried using the original JMicron kext, and I STILL got a kernel panic while moving large amounts of data.

That's because JMicron text's are buggy, as the VIA one. Thay just SHOULDN'T be used if you want to use more than 3 GB RAM. The bug is something competely different than the bug that the AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext had (that couldn't detect more than a bus device). They are not related. Sorry.

Please !!! patched AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext kext for Tiger, Please!!! :P

Are you sure to have set correctly the permissions(chown, chmod) and deleted the Extensions.mkext ?

Or at least installed it with KextHelper if you use the Kalyway distro ?

yes & i also tried it on a clean Kalyway install just after the 10.5.2 update + kernel

i can t boot anymore ( tried every sata ports & bios combinations )

rev 1,1 working with my ga965p-dq6 ;)

i deleted jmicron.kext & appleviaata.kext

Confirmed working without kernel panic ( 6gb ram )!!!!

thanks DuNe !!! Comme toujours tu fais peter :)

No way to get the jmicron ide working without panic i guess ?

Hi,

Hmm... I still don't understand why people thinks that AHCI mode is "faster" than IDE. All the desktop benchmarks (synthetic and real life) show all the opposite.

AHCI enables NCQ that supposedly should rise performance, but in desktop machines seems that it's more counterproductive than a benefit.

This debate is already much covered around the web. Check Storagereview.com, Techreport.com, Anandtech.com, Tomshardware.com, etc.

Cheers!

For me, on my Dell Lappy, AHCI has sligthly better benchmark results than ATA (is how it says in BIOS settings).

Boot times with AHCI=35~40, ATA=45+ seconds.

I know you said "desktop machines".

So before I go ahead and do this I just want to get a couple things straight. I have a p35-ds3l running with a PATA hard drive with AHCI off. I do have 1 SATA drive that holds vista. I do have the problem with kernel panics with memory over 3.5gb. If i delete the VIAATA and the jmicron and install this, should I be all set to go? Or should I keep the jmicron since i'm running on a PATA drive? Sorry for the questions but Leopard have since become my primary OS and i don't want to screw it up. If this fix will fix the memory kernel panics tha would be great.

Yeah, I'd like to know too. I actually installed the first version, removed appleVIAATA.kext and jmicronata.kext and I got kernel panic at boot. Basically, it couldn't function without the jmicronata.kext if I had the jmicron controller active. And it couldn't function without appleVIAATA.kext at all. I suppose I could have made a mistake somewhere, but I doubt it as I tried twice.

Yeah, I'd like to know too. I actually installed the first version, removed appleVIAATA.kext and jmicronata.kext and I got kernel panic at boot. Basically, it couldn't function without the jmicronata.kext if I had the jmicron controller active. And it couldn't function without appleVIAATA.kext at all. I suppose I could have made a mistake somewhere, but I doubt it as I tried twice.

what is your mobo?

If you remove the JmicronATA you won't be able to boot if your disk is Pata and so connected to the Jmicron IDE.

This kext is for the sata handled by the IChx controller. And yes remove AppleVIaAta. this last one is obsolete.

what is your mobo?

If you remove the JmicronATA you won't be able to boot if your disk is Pata and so connected to the Jmicron IDE.

This kext is for the sata handled by the IChx controller. And yes remove AppleVIaAta. this last one is obsolete.

see my sig for mobo, etc. My main drive is on the ichx controller. The system simply won't boot if I remove appleViaAta. I'll give this another go, hopefully it will allow me to use my 8gb. so far the only thing that prevents the random kernel panics under load is maxmem=2048.

see my sig for mobo, etc. My main drive is on the ichx controller. The system simply won't boot if I remove appleViaAta. I'll give this another go, hopefully it will allow me to use my 8gb. so far the only thing that prevents the random kernel panics under load is maxmem=2048.

Do you install correctly the kext ? i mean : doing the permissions , remove AppleVIAAta, and after that delete the Extensions.mkext.

With Kalyway you can also use kexthelper to install the kext

This kext should work with your mobo as it seem to be an ICH9 based one.

Hi, i have ASUS G945 Board (SATA+PATA) , EFI V8.0 patched Intel Kernel 9.2

ID´s: 0x27df,8086 for CH7 PATA, 0x27c0, 8086 for CH7 SATA

(My UDMA-6 (SATA-II) is shown in IORegistryexplorer as UDMA 0x5 ?!

PROBLEM: Kernel Panic if boot from SATA with APPLEEFIRUNTIME.KEXT installed ?!

I can use my new SATA HD well , but not when i boot from it (kernel panic in appleefiruntime.kext).

If i REMOVE the appleefiruntime.kext i can boot from it without Kernel PANIC !!!

For what is that kext used ?

I had removed AppleViaATA, but didnt helped, (need to remove the appleefiruntime.kext)

What can that be:

Problem with AHCI.kext, SMSBIOS.KEXT, KERNEL ?

Booting from PATA is OK, even appleefiruntime.kext is not removed ?!

Thanks

Thanks for the work!

I have try the v1.1 but is lowest between the1.0.

when I move windows in desktop are crappy.

i hope help you in your work

bye

what do you mean ?

moving windows are slowest ? lol

the version 1.1 is not the cause since the only thing that changed in the code betwen this one and the V1.0 is just how the controller is detected.

So it can not have effect on windows....

what do you mean ?

moving windows are slowest ? lol

the version 1.1 is not the cause since the only thing that changed in the code betwen this one and the V1.0 is just how the controller is detected.

So it can not have effect on windows....

Sorry for my english ;)

you have right but, why 1.0 work perfect in reactivity and stabilty, and 1.1 have lost stability?

is probably depending of my pc, i think......

however my first problem in the past days is kernl panic with 4GB ram, and with your kext the problem is solved.

Bye

Hi again,

For me, on my Dell Lappy, AHCI has sligthly better benchmark results than ATA (is how it says in BIOS settings).

Boot times with AHCI=35~40, ATA=45+ seconds.

I know you said "desktop machines".

Well, yes, but I was refering to "desktop" like usage. (i.e. single-user usage, not multi-user server enviroment).

The boot time isn't a real test for true disk performance. Maybe your configuration is slower detecting the devices when using the IDE mode (mine is all the opposite).

Actually using or not the AHCI is practically the same. There isn't too much difference anyway.

If you prefer the AHCI mode, it's ok. This fixed kext that -DuNe- is giving us is preferable for ICH8/ICH9 (not R version) motherboards that can't detect all the devices with the original kext.

Cheers!

Sorry for my english :(

you have right but, why 1.0 work perfect in reactivity and stabilty, and 1.1 have lost stability?

is probably depending of my pc, i think......

however my first problem in the past days is kernl panic with 4GB ram, and with your kext the problem is solved.

Bye

Seriously, the 1.1 has not lost stabilitlity.the code has not too much changed, i changed just a condition.(and it seems ICH8 works better with)

The way the controller is handled has not changed.

I tried this, all my drives still work in IDE mode, but with AHCI turned on I still only see 2 of them. This is on a Gigabyte DS3L motherboard. It seems only the first controller is seen as my time machine drive is on the 2nd controller and dissapears with AHCI on. I deleted the AppleVIAATA.kext and replaced my IOATAFamily.kext with the one you linked. Repaired permissions and rebuilt the mkext. If you have any ideas let me know.

I tried this, all my drives still work in IDE mode, but with AHCI turned on I still only see 2 of them. This is on a Gigabyte DS3L motherboard. It seems only the first controller is seen as my time machine drive is on the 2nd controller and dissapears with AHCI on. I deleted the AppleVIAATA.kext and replaced my IOATAFamily.kext with the one you linked. Repaired permissions and rebuilt the mkext. If you have any ideas let me know.

THis kext fixes the bug with AppleIntelPIIXATA. AppleINtelPIIXATA handle sata in IDE mode and not intended for AHCI.

AHCI is handled by AppleAHCIPort.kext. I would like to brings you 4 ports in AHCI with your ICH9 , but problems is that this driver is not "Open source" so...

Hi again,

Well, yes, but I was refering to "desktop" like usage. (i.e. single-user usage, not multi-user server enviroment).

The boot time isn't a real test for true disk performance. Maybe your configuration is slower detecting the devices when using the IDE mode (mine is all the opposite).

Actually using or not the AHCI is practically the same. There isn't too much difference anyway.

If you prefer the AHCI mode, it's ok. This fixed kext that -DuNe- is giving us is preferable for ICH8/ICH9 (not R version) motherboards that can't detect all the devices with the original kext.

Cheers!

My chipset is ICH8M and it does not use this kext, and if it could use it there is no advantange because the mobile version does not have 4 ports, as -DuNe- already clarified.

Maybe is faster because it uses another set of kexts (IOAHCIfamily).

But I'm planning to set a new box with the GA-P35-DS3L board, so I am really excited about this.