AppleIntelPIIXATA kext fully working for all ICHx Mobo (All Sata Channels working)

• Please log in to reply
417 replies to this topic

macgirl

macgirl

Stargate's Pharaoh

• Retired
  • 7,615 posts
  • Interests:Techie gadgets

I thought you guys with 4GB had kernel panics even with the unpatched AppleIntelPIIXATA (2 ports only) and on AHCI... ???

That'd be funny adding 2 ports to the kext fixed that bug :P

Is not "adding 2 ports" that solve the problem, it is get rid of the AppleVIAATA.kext that solves it.

Some tried to use the AppleVIAATA on Nforce SATA ports and ended with corrupted disks.

Headrush69

Headrush69

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts

It's really annoying to go into the BIOS everytime you boot to Leo and when you logout you have to go back again to enable AHCI when you boot to Vista or Ubuntu :rolleyes:

You could add the AHCI drivers to windows.

There are many links to doing this and the proper registry entries that must be modified.
Just google it, even MS has an article about it.

audio01

audio01

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Hi,

Hmm... I still don't understand why people thinks that AHCI mode is "faster" than IDE. All the desktop benchmarks (synthetic and real life) show all the opposite.

AHCI enables NCQ that supposedly should rise performance, but in desktop machines seems that it's more counterproductive than a benefit.

This debate is already much covered around the web. Check Storagereview.com, Techreport.com, Anandtech.com, Tomshardware.com, etc.

Cheers!

cyclonefr

cyclonefr

InsanelyMacaholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,751 posts

Is not "adding 2 ports" that solve the problem, it is get rid of the AppleVIAATA.kext that solves it.

Some tried to use the AppleVIAATA on Nforce SATA ports and ended with corrupted disks.

Yeah I thought people were having them even with other kexts, I understand now.

socal swimmer

socal swimmer

socal swimmer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts
  • Interests:swim, learning, computers
ok i booted into single use to delete AppleVIAATA.kext, and replace the IOATAFamily. When i started up (without doing a full reboot), my IDE hard drives appeared. However, i then did a full reboot and now they are not recognized.

GA P35-DS3P, ICH9-R.

Does the modified AppleIntelPIIXATA kext support IDE hard drives, or is it not meant to?

if not, is there a more stable way to support IDE HDDs?

-DuNe-

-DuNe-

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

this kext doesn t work on a gigabyte ga965p-dq6

tried every sata ports & every bios settings i can t boot with it

it kills my install :) , let s hope time machine can save me

Are you sure to have set correctly the permissions(chown, chmod) and deleted the Extensions.mkext ?
Or at least installed it with KextHelper if you use the Kalyway distro ?

cyber_tods

cyber_tods

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

You could add the AHCI drivers to windows.

There are many links to doing this and the proper registry entries that must be modified.
Just google it, even MS has an article about it.

Yup, I already am running windows XP in AHCI mode with hacked drivers and is working fine. Ubuntu is running in AHCI mode as well. Leopard, on the other hand, works on AHCI mode except it only sees 2 SATA devices (port 0-1) .. ports 2-3 doesn't work (GA-P35-DS3L) and i have 4 sata devices.

I have to go to the BIOS everytime just to change AHCI to IDE so that "Leopard" can show 4 sata devices. When i'm done with Leopard and decided to go to Windows XP, I then restart, go to the BIOS (again) change back IDE to AHCI so I can successfully boot to XP. Then when I'm done in XP and let say, i forgot to do something in Leopard, reboot from XP, go back to BIOS, blablalba...

Regarding faster in AHCI mode debate, yes, there are no difference at ALL. They are identical. However, I need to use hot swap of sata devices in XP. This only works when AHCI is enabled (afaik). Also, all my 3 OSes boots way way faster when AHCI is enabled. In my case, its weird that my Leopard is slower in IDE mode .. I really don't know why ... like opening applications .. running multiple apps at a time .. alot of freeze times .. but the funny this is when I run benchies in this same PC for both AHCI and IDE .. its the same!
*BTW, I was using the old VIAATA*

I think the newer hacked drivers that Dune made, fixed my slow Leopard in IDE mode. I don't experience my Leopard slowing down anymore after applying the new kext.

Thanks to Dune!

Anyway, I was just hoping that all my 4 SATA ports will work in AHCI mode. I guess I still have to wait for that magical kext.

Thanks again!

-DuNe-

-DuNe-

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

ok i booted into single use to delete AppleVIAATA.kext, and replace the IOATAFamily. When i started up (without doing a full reboot), my IDE hard drives appeared. However, i then did a full reboot and now they are not recognized.

GA P35-DS3P, ICH9-R.

Does the modified AppleIntelPIIXATA kext support IDE hard drives, or is it not meant to?

if not, is there a more stable way to support IDE HDDs?

It seems , you simply forgot to delete the Extensions.mkext...

Steve Thamel

Steve Thamel

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
When I installed the IOATAFamily.kext, cleared caches, and did a boot -v, I got an error missing AppleGenericAta.kext. I added it to Dune's plugins. While it works via AppleGenericAta, I am trying to get the secondary SATA port "seen". This is a Lenovo ThinkCentre M52, so no AHCI option. There is a "automatic" and a "native". Both BIOS settings yield the same results. Thanks.

socal swimmer

socal swimmer

socal swimmer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts
  • Interests:swim, learning, computers

It seems , you simply forgot to delete the Extensions.mkext...

hmph

i'll have to go back and check. when i'm at my hack.

thank you!

KirbySaysHi

KirbySaysHi

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Just to confirm:

I own a ga-p35-ds3r rev 2.1. I used this kext and it worked wonderfully! Now I don't have to change from AHCI mode to IDE when booting into windows! Cool! (In the bios I have AHCI disabled).

But, if you've deleted/removed your JMicron.kext, you will no longer have any functionality out of your JMicron controller (the two purple ports and IDE port). I tried using the original JMicron kext, and I STILL got a kernel panic while moving large amounts of data. Although I must say, this driver is awesome! My computer definitely feels a little snappier, and the panic happened later than usual, which I take as being a sign of the stability of this new driver. AWESOME and thank you!

audio01

audio01

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Hi again,

Just to confirm:

But, if you've deleted/removed your JMicron.kext, you will no longer have any functionality out of your JMicron controller (the two purple ports and IDE port). I tried using the original JMicron kext, and I STILL got a kernel panic while moving large amounts of data.

That's because JMicron text's are buggy, as the VIA one. Thay just SHOULDN'T be used if you want to use more than 3 GB RAM. The bug is something competely different than the bug that the AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext had (that couldn't detect more than a bus device). They are not related. Sorry.

Please !!! patched AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext kext for Tiger, Please!!! :P

tomazzzi

tomazzzi

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Are you sure to have set correctly the permissions(chown, chmod) and deleted the Extensions.mkext ?
Or at least installed it with KextHelper if you use the Kalyway distro ?

yes & i also tried it on a clean Kalyway install just after the 10.5.2 update + kernel

i can t boot anymore ( tried every sata ports & bios combinations )

Dragonshadow

Dragonshadow

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
Noob here, how do I remove the appleviaata or whatever it is? I JUST got macos installed and then updated to 10.5.2

Thanks ^^

-DuNe-

-DuNe-

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts
NEW VERSION V1.1:

-Updated Plist entries (PIIX)
-Updated controller detection code in a cleaner way.

Need some ICH8 feedback from users. thx !

tomazzzi

tomazzzi

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 420 posts
rev 1,1 working with my ga965p-dq6 ;)

i deleted jmicron.kext & appleviaata.kext

Confirmed working without kernel panic ( 6gb ram )!!!!

thanks DuNe !!! Comme toujours tu fais peter :)

No way to get the jmicron ide working without panic i guess ?

macgirl

macgirl

Stargate's Pharaoh

• Retired
  • 7,615 posts
  • Interests:Techie gadgets

Hi,

Hmm... I still don't understand why people thinks that AHCI mode is "faster" than IDE. All the desktop benchmarks (synthetic and real life) show all the opposite.

AHCI enables NCQ that supposedly should rise performance, but in desktop machines seems that it's more counterproductive than a benefit.

This debate is already much covered around the web. Check Storagereview.com, Techreport.com, Anandtech.com, Tomshardware.com, etc.

Cheers!

For me, on my Dell Lappy, AHCI has sligthly better benchmark results than ATA (is how it says in BIOS settings).

Boot times with AHCI=35~40, ATA=45+ seconds.

I know you said "desktop machines".

critic81

critic81

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts
So before I go ahead and do this I just want to get a couple things straight. I have a p35-ds3l running with a PATA hard drive with AHCI off. I do have 1 SATA drive that holds vista. I do have the problem with kernel panics with memory over 3.5gb. If i delete the VIAATA and the jmicron and install this, should I be all set to go? Or should I keep the jmicron since i'm running on a PATA drive? Sorry for the questions but Leopard have since become my primary OS and i don't want to screw it up. If this fix will fix the memory kernel panics tha would be great.

philminatz

philminatz

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
Yeah, I'd like to know too. I actually installed the first version, removed appleVIAATA.kext and jmicronata.kext and I got kernel panic at boot. Basically, it couldn't function without the jmicronata.kext if I had the jmicron controller active. And it couldn't function without appleVIAATA.kext at all. I suppose I could have made a mistake somewhere, but I doubt it as I tried twice.

-DuNe-

-DuNe-

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Yeah, I'd like to know too. I actually installed the first version, removed appleVIAATA.kext and jmicronata.kext and I got kernel panic at boot. Basically, it couldn't function without the jmicronata.kext if I had the jmicron controller active. And it couldn't function without appleVIAATA.kext at all. I suppose I could have made a mistake somewhere, but I doubt it as I tried twice.

what is your mobo?
If you remove the JmicronATA you won't be able to boot if your disk is Pata and so connected to the Jmicron IDE.
This kext is for the sata handled by the IChx controller. And yes remove AppleVIaAta. this last one is obsolete.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy