AppleIntelPIIXATA kext fully working for all ICHx Mobo (All Sata Channels working)

-DuNe-

418 posts in this topic

Seriously, the 1.1 has not lost stabilitlity.the code has not too much changed, i changed just a condition.(and it seems ICH8 works better with)

The way the controller is handled has not changed.

Hi

i have reisntall the 1.1 and now work very fine, idon't know why yesterday have problem.........

i think was install not correctly.

Thanks

bye

See my sig. I'm trying to avoid the 4GM RAM kernel panic & was hoping by removing AppleVia.kext & AppleVIAATA.kext & installing DuNe's IOATAFamily.kext that this would help me getting KPs above 3GB RAM usage. I used kexthelper after removing the 2 AppleVIA's & cleared cache.

I now need to use AHCI to boot the system since if I set IDE for my HDD's in BIOS, OS X won't boot - seems like I can't win.

Please help.

See my sig. I'm trying to avoid the 4GM RAM kernel panic & was hoping by removing AppleVia.kext & AppleVIAATA.kext & installing DuNe's IOATAFamily.kext that this would help me getting KPs above 3GB RAM usage. I used kexthelper after removing the 2 AppleVIA's & cleared cache.

I now need to use AHCI to boot the system since if I set IDE for my HDD's in BIOS, OS X won't boot - seems like I can't win.

Please help.

You have to remove only AppleVIAATA.kext, not AppleVia.kext.

Please help.

Like erbasvizzera said to you : dont uninstall AppleVia.kext !!!!Only AppleViaATA.

If you still have problem with 4gb that certainly because you use JMicronATA.kext for Ide HDD.

This one cause kernel panic like AppleVIAATA !

Thanks everyone - I put back AppleVia.kext, removed JMicronATA.kext - will try to restart in IDE mode.

UPDATE:

didn't work - had to re-enable AHCI.Actually, I don't mind AHCI except for 2 minor problems : the orange HDD icons & if I accidently click on the Eject arrownext to my 2 storage HDD's, the finder ejects them thinking they're removeable drives so I have to reboot to get them back.Is there a way to solve BOTH of these problems?If I could get the 2 above problems solved, At least this way I wouldn't have to worry about the 4MB RAM limit.

Someone mentioned that extensions.kext has to be removed also and the cache must be cleaned... But i don't know how to! Extensions.kext keeps coming back! Tips are welcome! Thanx.

I have the p5k-vm and the dune patch seems to work (THANX!!!) but only in IDE mode... under AHCI only 2 sata ports work and the drive is all orange like vlad1966 mentioned. Xbench scores differences between IDE and AHCI are minimal.

Someone mentioned that extensions.kext has to be removed also and the cache must be cleaned... But i don't know how to! Extensions.kext keeps coming back! Tips are welcome! Thanx.

I have the p5k-vm and the dune patch seems to work (THANX!!!) but only in IDE mode... under AHCI only 2 sata ports work and the drive is all orange like vlad1966 mentioned. Xbench scores differences between IDE and AHCI are minimal.

This kext is only for IDE mode. AHCI is handled by AppleAHCIPort.kext not AppleIntelPIIXAtA.kext.

So your results are normal.

DuNe,

I don't mind AHCI except for 2 minor problems : the orange HDD icons & if I accidently click on the Eject arrownext to my 2 storage HDD's, the finder ejects them thinking they're removeable drives so I have to reboot to get them back.Is there a way to solve BOTH of these problems?If I could get the 2 above problems solved, At least this way I wouldn't have to worry about the 4MB RAM limit.

Can you help?

Please, don't hijack this thread. This is about IDE mode only in Intel southbridges (ICHx), nothing to do with AHCI or removable devices.

What this new fixed AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext kext does is to allow correct detection of more than one bus device that's working in IDE mode. Nothing more, nothing less.

I guess this is very well explained thru all this thread. Sorry but I guess it's best for all of us to keep focused... or it will become a mess like the nVidia's ones, with people asking and asking again and again the same things and getting way offtopic.

Please re-read the whole post, and you'll find all the answers!

Thanks!

DuNe,

I don't mind AHCI except for 2 minor problems : the orange HDD icons & if I accidently click on the Eject arrownext to my 2 storage HDD's, the finder ejects them thinking they're removeable drives so I have to reboot to get them back.Is there a way to solve BOTH of these problems?If I could get the 2 above problems solved, At least this way I wouldn't have to worry about the 4MB RAM limit.

Can you help?

I do not understand why this kext dont work for u as some users here with IP35 have it working perfectly.

which IDE modes are avalaible in your bios ?

AHCI

RAID

IDE

Thanks DuNe!

I do not understand why this kext dont work for u as some users here with IP35 have it working perfectly.

which IDE modes are avalaible in your bios ?

AHCI

RAID

IDE

These are the options availble for both my SATA (ICH9) and JMicron Controller.

If I enable IDE on both, boot drive is not found on boot-up. So If I'm to use AHCI, I need to find a

way for the system to not seemy 2 storage drives as removeable.

AHCI

RAID

IDE

These are the options availble for both my SATA (ICH9) and JMicron Controller.

If I enable IDE on both, boot drive is not found on boot-up. So If I'm to use AHCI, I need to find a

way for the system to not seemy 2 storage drives as removeable.

I still do not understand why it works for other IP35 users and not for u...

Do you have a windows on your PC , and could you give me the Product ID of your sata when you are in IDE mode ?

Hi again,

Now, please, would it work in Tiger as is?

Or at least the patched AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext plugin embedded in Tiger's IOATAFamily.kext?

Or should we wait for the fix for the original Tiger's kext?

As already someone pointed, the new IOATAFamily.kext doesn't work on Tiger. Neither embedding the fixed AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext into Tiger's own IOATAFamily.kext "Plugins" folder (replacing the original non-fully-working AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext).

Please, any news about this fix adapted for Tiger? Is there any way I could help to make it a reality?

Thank you very much!

Hi,

I can confirm that the original unpatched AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext works correctly with >3 GB. I think that the patch only fixes the detection of more than one separate bus device.

The problem is with the AppleVIAATA.kext and also JmicronATA.kext. To me the bug (or just bad programming) is that those two kext aren't PAE compatible (this is just my guessing). What that means? They can't work with more than around 3 GB RAM. Otherwise they Kernel Panic!

Cheers!

audio01, So you think JMicronATA.kext is also not PAE compatible? That would explain why I get kernel panics when I pop in a DVD, which is connected to the JMicronPATA driver. Is there anyway the IntelPIIXATA driver can be used to drive the JMicron controller?

Hi,

audio01, So you think JMicronATA.kext is also not PAE compatible? That would explain why I get kernel panics when I pop in a DVD, which is connected to the JMicronPATA driver. Is there anyway the IntelPIIXATA driver can be used to drive the JMicron controller?

Yes, I can confirm that both AppleVIAATA.kext and JMicronATA.kext are badly programmed or just buggy.

Lamentably there's no software workaround (that I know). Your only option is to change your DVD drive to a newer SATA device or buy some ATA-to-SATA adapter (surely buying a newer DVD drive would be more sensible) and connect everything to the Intel southbridge SATA controller.

Cheers!

Just a dumb question:

a friend of mine just orderd an Gigabyte Ps3R MoBo.

Should i install the new driver or is this board fully supported by Kalyway driver (Enhanced IDE not AHCI)?

you mean ds3r ? if it is this one, it is fully supported in ahci mode by kalyway. but if he wants use it in sata ide mode, yes better thing is to install this kext.

i hope this kext liberates me from the

device blocking bus errors, that i get after sleep.

NO it doesnt. Still IOATAController device blocking bus error

did you disable disk sleep in your preferences ?

if not, it is the source of your problems.