AppleIntelPIIXATA kext fully working for all ICHx Mobo (All Sata Channels working)

-DuNe-

418 posts in this topic

WOW!!! Excellent!!! Great progress this kext has made!

Kuddos to -DuNe- and anyone involved in this fix!

Still didn't test it, but I guess it should work ok. No more > 3GB RAM kernel panics because of the buggy AppleVIAATA.kext!

Now, please, would it work in Tiger as is?

Or at least the patched AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext plugin embedded in Tiger's IOATAFamily.kext?

Or should we wait for the fix for the original Tiger's kext?

Thank you very much!!!

confirmed working on gigabyte p35-DS3l

Although ACHI is disabled, there seems to be no loss in data transfer speed.

I took 5gb worth of data and transfered it from my OS drive to my storage drive quickly and error free.

I have 3 SATA drives, 2 are hard drive and 1 is dvd-rw.

THANK you SO MUCH!!

Now, please, would it work in Tiger as is?

No, I already tried it.

Or at least the patched AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext plugin embedded in Tiger's IOATAFamily.kext?

I don't think that will work either, but I haven't tried it.

Hard drives are generally faster at single user workloads with NCQ disabled. I believe NCQ is disabled in IDE mode and enabled with AHCI. So, turning off AHCI and using this kext might give you a slight performance increase--unless you are running a server.

will this work on a gigabyte GA965P-dq6 (ich8) ?

will this avoid me to get kernel panic when using more than 3gig of memory ?

thanks !!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, it should work without panic with more than 3gig :(

Hey Dune, this looks like significant driver. I have a P5W DH Deluxe m/b with the ICH7-R controller, the AppleSMBIOS.kext that came with 10.5.2 (I think detected the controller properly) but as soon as I loaded the SMBIOS.kext to get rid of the "Hackintosh" from the boot rom, it threw the ICH7-R to show as "Generic AHCI driver version 1.0", I'd like to get the correct driver on the system.

Will try this driver tonight, see if that helps. But you mention that the BIOS settings need to be at IDE and not AHCI. Anyhow I'll give this a shot.

Thanks for you excellent work!

Hey all,Here you can find the newest AppleIntelPIIXATA kext driver for Intel ICHx chipsets.(ICH0 to 8 and 9)All your sata ports should now work correctly. No more need of the old AppleVIAATA kext.This has been tested and is know to work on the Asus P5K, P5K-E and Asus P5K Premium.It should work with all mobos ICH based : 965 DS3, P5B, P5K-SE, P5K-VM, P5K pro etc etc.Drive(s) are UDMA enabled, and fully working without i/o errors.AppleVIAATA should be removed or at least IChx ID inside of it to avoid conflicts.This fix works as well in IDE Enhanced Mode or in IDE Compatible Mode.Give me feedback for any issues.The two ICH9 sata controllers in action :ichxataca1.jpgHere the link of the 10.5.2 IOATAFamily kext with the new AppleIntelPIIXATA embedded in its plugin folder:http://www.mediafire.com/?7z4kgxyhjf1
So does this fix the 4GB kernel panic that we saw in the VIAATA driver?
So does this fix the 4GB kernel panic that we saw in the VIAATA driver?
WOW AMAZING.NO MORE KERNEL PANICS WITH 4G OF MEMORY!!!Let's make this a sticky.

Hi,

I can confirm that the original unpatched AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext works correctly with >3 GB. I think that the patch only fixes the detection of more than one separate bus device.

The problem is with the AppleVIAATA.kext and also JmicronATA.kext. To me the bug (or just bad programming) is that those two kext aren't PAE compatible (this is just my guessing). What that means? They can't work with more than around 3 GB RAM. Otherwise they Kernel Panic!

Cheers!

Great work Dune!! Thanks!

Is there a way to make all 4 ports working when AHCI is enabled?

I have a P35-DS3L and after installing the new kext, it works but only in IDE mode.

SHould I try to delete JMicron kext?

I have Ubuntu/Vista also installed and they both work better when AHCI is on. I have 4 SATA devices and only 2 is detected when AHCI is enabled in Leopard. I have no choice to enabled IDE mode everytime I boot to Leo just to see the other 2 SATA devices :(

It's really annoying to go into the BIOS everytime you boot to Leo and when you logout you have to go back again to enable AHCI when you boot to Vista or Ubuntu :(

THanks!

I thought you guys with 4GB had kernel panics even with the unpatched AppleIntelPIIXATA (2 ports only) and on AHCI... ???

That'd be funny adding 2 ports to the kext fixed that bug :P

Is not "adding 2 ports" that solve the problem, it is get rid of the AppleVIAATA.kext that solves it.

Some tried to use the AppleVIAATA on Nforce SATA ports and ended with corrupted disks.

It's really annoying to go into the BIOS everytime you boot to Leo and when you logout you have to go back again to enable AHCI when you boot to Vista or Ubuntu :rolleyes:

You could add the AHCI drivers to windows.

There are many links to doing this and the proper registry entries that must be modified.

Just google it, even MS has an article about it.

Hi,

Hmm... I still don't understand why people thinks that AHCI mode is "faster" than IDE. All the desktop benchmarks (synthetic and real life) show all the opposite.

AHCI enables NCQ that supposedly should rise performance, but in desktop machines seems that it's more counterproductive than a benefit.

This debate is already much covered around the web. Check Storagereview.com, Techreport.com, Anandtech.com, Tomshardware.com, etc.

Cheers!

Is not "adding 2 ports" that solve the problem, it is get rid of the AppleVIAATA.kext that solves it.

Some tried to use the AppleVIAATA on Nforce SATA ports and ended with corrupted disks.

Yeah I thought people were having them even with other kexts, I understand now.

ok i booted into single use to delete AppleVIAATA.kext, and replace the IOATAFamily. When i started up (without doing a full reboot), my IDE hard drives appeared. However, i then did a full reboot and now they are not recognized.

GA P35-DS3P, ICH9-R.

Does the modified AppleIntelPIIXATA kext support IDE hard drives, or is it not meant to?

if not, is there a more stable way to support IDE HDDs?

this kext doesn t work on a gigabyte ga965p-dq6

tried every sata ports & every bios settings i can t boot with it

it kills my install :) , let s hope time machine can save me

Are you sure to have set correctly the permissions(chown, chmod) and deleted the Extensions.mkext ?

Or at least installed it with KextHelper if you use the Kalyway distro ?

You could add the AHCI drivers to windows.

There are many links to doing this and the proper registry entries that must be modified.

Just google it, even MS has an article about it.

Yup, I already am running windows XP in AHCI mode with hacked drivers and is working fine. Ubuntu is running in AHCI mode as well. Leopard, on the other hand, works on AHCI mode except it only sees 2 SATA devices (port 0-1) .. ports 2-3 doesn't work (GA-P35-DS3L) and i have 4 sata devices.

I have to go to the BIOS everytime just to change AHCI to IDE so that "Leopard" can show 4 sata devices. When i'm done with Leopard and decided to go to Windows XP, I then restart, go to the BIOS (again) change back IDE to AHCI so I can successfully boot to XP. Then when I'm done in XP and let say, i forgot to do something in Leopard, reboot from XP, go back to BIOS, blablalba...

Regarding faster in AHCI mode debate, yes, there are no difference at ALL. They are identical. However, I need to use hot swap of sata devices in XP. This only works when AHCI is enabled (afaik). Also, all my 3 OSes boots way way faster when AHCI is enabled. In my case, its weird that my Leopard is slower in IDE mode .. I really don't know why ... like opening applications .. running multiple apps at a time .. alot of freeze times .. but the funny this is when I run benchies in this same PC for both AHCI and IDE .. its the same!

*BTW, I was using the old VIAATA*

I think the newer hacked drivers that Dune made, fixed my slow Leopard in IDE mode. I don't experience my Leopard slowing down anymore after applying the new kext.

Thanks to Dune!

Anyway, I was just hoping that all my 4 SATA ports will work in AHCI mode. I guess I still have to wait for that magical kext.

Thanks again!

ok i booted into single use to delete AppleVIAATA.kext, and replace the IOATAFamily. When i started up (without doing a full reboot), my IDE hard drives appeared. However, i then did a full reboot and now they are not recognized.

GA P35-DS3P, ICH9-R.

Does the modified AppleIntelPIIXATA kext support IDE hard drives, or is it not meant to?

if not, is there a more stable way to support IDE HDDs?

It seems , you simply forgot to delete the Extensions.mkext...

When I installed the IOATAFamily.kext, cleared caches, and did a boot -v, I got an error missing AppleGenericAta.kext. I added it to Dune's plugins. While it works via AppleGenericAta, I am trying to get the secondary SATA port "seen". This is a Lenovo ThinkCentre M52, so no AHCI option. There is a "automatic" and a "native". Both BIOS settings yield the same results. Thanks.