Atheros Network Drivers

TheMaxx32000

381 posts in this topic

I have a Acer Aspire 5920 which I have installed iDeneb 10.5.8 on. My Wireless card is a Atheros 5008 card. OSX recogize it but when i try to connetc to a wireless network it wont connect... :S what can I do for it to work???

Update: I found out that it connects to WEP networks but NOT WPA/WPA2. How do I fix this?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

I'm running Snow Leopard 10.6.7 on my Alienware M11X R1. Is there any reason you can think of why my AR8132 is detected, connected, given an IP/subnet/gateway/DNS, but still unable to get out to the Internet, ping other machines on my LAN, ping its own gateway, or be pinged by other machines?

I'm running the atherosl1cethernet.kext. I haven't touched anything else (e.g. IO80211family). My DW1510 wireless card works great, it's just the AR8132 NIC that doesn't.

I created another thread here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=257734

Thanks for any insight you can give!

• 2 weeks later...

I am running a Snow Leopard 10.6.5 with the Gigabyte GA-H55M-USB3 working perfectly! and i have a SMC wifi card, the model is SMCWPCI-G2 and i think it has a Atheros AR2417 chip.

Someone knows how the get this card working??? its the only thing that i cant get it to work...

thanks in advance!

• 2 months later...
How about Atheros AR5007? The workaround with Kismac is really getting annoying :) it works but not all the time. Just in case anyone is looking the Linksys WUSB600N works fantastic!!! PM me I have the drivers would be happy to get them to you

Does WUSB600N work natively with Snow Leopard or does it require a utility? And, if so, what version of Snow Leopard are you using it with?

Installed a Atheros AR5009 in 10.6.3 and it is working fine after I put in ip manually. Only problem is airport is not detecting that it is connected it still has the ! mark. Anyone know what I can do ?

Edit: nevermind airport is working now

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi i have an accer extensa 5635g with atheros lan card (AR8131) and i cant get the lan to work, i tryed so many kexts from so many places and none worked i always get this message at boot (see attachment)

can someone help me?

thanks in advance.

• 4 weeks later...

hey i recently installed 10.6 snoleo on my HP AMD Athlon with an Atheros WLAN card, when I look for the wireless devices my wlan card doesnt show up, it just shows the eth1 or whatever. and not even my ethernet works. where can I download the wireless driver(s) which are mentioned in this post? please help..

• 1 month later...

Does it count as thread necro if it's a sticky? :P

I've got a D-Link DWL-G520 rev.B3, which I think uses the AR5213 chipset. My machine's running 10.6.8 and 10.7.2, neither of which seem to support the card. The last version I remember using which natively supported it (right out of the box, which surprised me) was 10.6.0, and I had managed to finagle that support into 10.6.7 over time. I held off updating to 10.6.8 for a long time, but eventually I did, lured by the promise of wireless iPad syncing. Well, of course, my Snow Leopard install is now without any supported networking hardware, just like Lion.

I made various edits to Info.plists, and downloaded one of the kexts from kexts.com which was purported to work, but now it's to the point where 10.6.8 won't even finish booting. Not a huge deal, I figure — I've got a Lion install humming along, so I'll just use it from now on.

Right now, I'm getting my wi-fi connection by way of an old Mac mini hooked up over Firewire to my Hackintosh here. The downside of that is that the Firewire connection is the only network device that shows up in System Preferences anymore, meaning that I can't authorize my iTunes account, use any apps I bought from the Mac App Store, or sync wirelessly with my iPad.

What I know so far is that Chameleon does seem to notice the card and (what I assume is) my mobo's built-in ethernet controller in some capacity when it's booting OS X, judging from the following lines from bdmesg's output:

LAN Controller [10ec:8136] :: PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1c,0x1)/Pci(0x0,0x0)
Setting up lan keys
LAN Controller [168c:0013] :: PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1e,0x0)/Pci(0x4,0x0)
Setting up lan keys

Also, the EthernetBuiltIn option is enabled in my org.chameleon.Boot.plist. I can provide said plist, bdmesg's full output, or whatever other information is needed. Help a poor guy out? :blush:

Try this driver for your wired ethernet:

http://lnx2mac.blogs...osx-driver.html

This is important even if you're not going to use it, many apps (both Apple and 3rd party) and even some games require the presence of built-in ethernet for authentication and registration purposes. Some software will refuse to install without it. Wired ethernet doesn't have to be active in Network preferences for this to work properly but it must be seen as "EN0", built-in, and have a driver loaded for it.

I think your Atheros wireless can be made to work by adding its device ID to AirportAtheros.kext inside IO80211Family.kext. Google "AirportAtheros.kext 168c:0013" (no quotes) for directions.

Get the wired ethernet going first, it's one of the cornerstones of a compatible Hackintosh.

Here's an IORegistryExplorer screenshot so you can see what it's supposed to look like (Asus P5Q-E, Marvell Yukon 88E8056).

88E8056.png

Haha, you just got done helping my sorry ass with the other thing, and here you are. You're awesome. :D

I installed the ethernet kext you linked to (a kext with its own installer package?! My god, the luxury!), but it didn't seem to have any effect. Taking another look at the information provided with the kext, it seems to add support for RTL8111x and RTL8168x chips, while my board apparently uses an RTL8101E. I'll look around for that soon.

Edit: This kext did the trick.

I then ran the search you recommended, and one of the results was another thread on this forum. I tried what was described there, removing the <string>pci168c,13</string> from the plist in AirportAtheros.kext and adding it to the corresponding plist in AirportAtheros21.kext. (Embarrassingly, I'd tried adding the string to the latter, but hadn't tried also removing it from the former.)

Bottom line: wi-fi is now working flawlessly, and I've already had a Mac App Store app (Moom) start up on login without raising a fuss. Still no ethernet, but everything seems to be running fine so far anyway. Thanks yet again!

• Like 1

Great but there's a problem with solving it that way - replacing the whole IONetworkingFamily.kext means that you're likely to lose wired ethernet next time Apple updates that kernel extension. That goes for the AirportAtheros kexts as well.

Inside IONetworkingFamily.kext is a plugins folder. One of the kexts in that folder is the driver for your wired Realtek ethernet. Find out if you can use this modified Realtek "plugin" kext with an unmodified IONetworkingFamily.kext from the same version of Lion that you are running now. Hopefully you kept a backup.

To prevent an OS update from reverting our modifications, we can (not in all cases though) make our own "Legacy Kext" or "plist-only kext". Besides preventing loss of functionality, this method is preferred because it allows you to use the latest drivers.

Quote from Hagar:

"Plist-only" or "Legacy" kexts consist of an empty kext with just the Info.plist inside. The object of this is to add to or override the values in the main kext that is being loaded by the system. typically this will add device IDs or similar values to allow the kext to load with hardware other than that which it was intended for, but crucially *without* modifying the original kext itself, so that functionality will not be lost in the event of an update.

If your modifications (as is the case with the Atheros edits) consist solely of adding or replacing device IDs, this method will work for you.

There are guides on how to make your own legacy kexts both here and on the ProjectOSX forums.

As a study object, you could find and download "AppleYukon2Legacy.kext" and compare it to the original AppleYukon2.kext. It works by replacing the name and device IDs for the Marvell Yukon 88E8053 with those of the 88E8056, and upping a version number so that it loads first, overriding the original. /EDIT - I knew it..here's the topic I had a vague memory of:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=157881

If you're lucky, someone has already made an Atheros21 legacy kext and uploaded it somewhere.

About the wired ethernet, you will have to find out what modification has been made to the IONetworkingFamily.kext you have downloaded - if there's a modified Realtek driver inside its plugins folder or if it's just a plist edit to a driver that already ships with OS X. Compare the modified one with a clean one.

Some "plugins" can exist outside of their "family" kext in /System/Library/Extensions. But, if you place it there, and the one inside IONetworkingFamily.kext gets updated by Apple, the new one will load because it has a higher version number. You can get around this issue by setting a ridiculously high version number like 9.9.9 in the info.plist of your modified kext.

Good luck and sorry I can't be more specific - the bits I didn't explain are out there if you look for them.

• Like 1

I'm trying to connect USB TP-Link wn822n v2 which based on chip Atheros AR9287 to Lion, but have no progress.

What should i change in AirportAtheros40.kext to make this thing work?

I tried to change the string << pci168c / 2e>> to <<usb168c /2d>> or <<pci168c / 2d>> It doesn't work.

Help me, pls.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi! Got an too much new wi-fi dongle TP-Link WN821N V.3 (Atheros AR7015) which very different than two previous v.1, v.2. Can't find any information about this chipset anywhere for MacOSX. Simple editing Plist and adding PID\VID in stock kext doing nothing. Any solution?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi again! My wi-fi has been working fine ever since my last post, but I've been procrastinating on making that legacy kext until now. I want to install Xcode in order to get Dashcode on my system, but evidently I would need to be running 10.7.3, not 10.7.2. I want to make sure I'm doing everything right before I update, if possible, to avoid having to fix broken stuff after.

So far, as instructed, I've made a copy of AirPortAtheros21.kext in a folder on my desktop, and edited Info.plist so that it now reads:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>CFBundleDevelopmentRegion</key>
<string>English</string>
<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
<string>legacy.driver.AirPort.Atheros21</string>
<key>CFBundleInfoDictionaryVersion</key>
<string>6.0</string>
<key>CFBundleName</key>
<string>Legacy AirPort Atheros Fix for D-Link DWL-G520 rev.B3</string>
<key>CFBundlePackageType</key>
<string>KEXT</string>
<key>CFBundleShortVersionString</key>
<string>9.9.9</string> <!-- Changed from 4.2.0 -->
<key>CFBundleSignature</key>
<string>????</string>
<key>CFBundleVersion</key>
<string>9999.9.99</string> <!-- Changed from 420.8.10 -->
<key>IOKitPersonalities</key>
<dict>
 <key>Atheros Wireless LAN PCI</key>
 <dict>
  <key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
  <string>legacy.driver.AirPort.Atheros21</string>
  <key>IOClass</key>
  <string>AirPort_AthrFusion21</string>
  <key>IOMatchCategory</key>
  <string>IODefaultMatchCategory</string>
  <key>IONameMatch</key>
  <array>
<string>pci168c,13</string>
  </array>
  <key>IOProviderClass</key>
  <string>IOPCIDevice</string>
 </dict>
</dict>
<key>OSBundleLibraries</key>
<dict>
 <key>com.apple.iokit.IO80211Family</key>
 <string>300.0</string>
 <key>com.apple.iokit.IONetworkingFamily</key>
 <string>1.8</string>
 <key>com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily</key>
 <string>2.0</string>
 <key>com.apple.kpi.bsd</key>
 <string>10.0.0b1</string>
 <key>com.apple.kpi.iokit</key>
 <key>com.apple.kpi.libkern</key>
 <key>com.apple.kpi.mach</key>
 <key>com.apple.kpi.unsupported</key>
</dict>
</dict>
</plist>

I've marked with comments what the original version numbers were. So, uh...is that everything I need to do to the plist?

Does the OSBundleLibraries section have any impact on it (i.e. do I need to change any version numbers there, or even remove that section altogether)?

I presume I'll have to update the corresponding version numbers in version.plist; is that correct?

Is it safe to delete the MacOS folder, since the executable is no longer being called in Info.plist? What about _CodeSignature, CodeDirectory, CodeRequirements, etc.?

Thanks again for any help you're able and willing to provide!

The legacy kext aka "plist only kext" only has info.plist inside, nothing else. That's why it's called a plist only kext! (see quote from Hagar in my other post)

It looks like it will work - restore your unmodified kexts, place your legacy kext in System/Library/Extensions and see if it does!

Thanks! I'll probably have time to do this tomorrow after work, so we'll see what happens then!

Edit: I backed up my primary Lion partition and installed the legacy kext to /Extra/Extensions on the backup partition, then booted from the backup and updated to 10.7.3 via Software Update. I'm editing this post from the backup on 10.7.3 right now, and it's as if nothing changed. Whatever change was made to the ethernet driver was apparently not affected by the update, because I didn't have to run its installer again. Guess I'll run through the same procedure on the main partition.

• 10 months later...

I just built a desktop based on GA-Z77X-UP5-TH motherboard running Mountain Lion.

Bought an AR5B95 mini-pcie card and a PCI-e 1x adapter.

Modified the IO80211Family.kext->Plugins->AirPortAtheros40.kext->Info.plist to add pci168c,2b to the IONameMatch list.

All works fine and have wireless access.

But this is ugly to have to modify stock kexts as so far I have not had to modify any kext.

So, I put the original kext back.

I searched but did not find a legacy/plist-kext/injector for Aethros cards for Mountain Lion.

The one I found did not work with Mountain Lion.

But...I have modified it to work with Mountain Lion.

It's a simple info.plist into which you add or modify the dev/ven ID's.

Add this kext to /System/Library/Extension using your favorite kext tool.

Now there are no modded kext in /S/L/E :star_sunglasses:

If there an OS update that updates AirPortAtheros40.kext->Info.plist, then it does not matter as this injector will make sure that the correct device id is injected into the new kext.

I may have reinvented the wheel but solved my problem.

Note I cannot take credit for the injector...just the mod to make it work with ML :)

Attached the injector.

AtherosWiFiInjector.kext.zip

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

any Driver For this Adapter Athereos AR9227 for Mountain Lion 10.8.2?

Yeah, I got mine working with this one:

IO80211Family.kext.zip

I don't know if it is native kext or some of the internet (I did several experiments) but I just add pci168c,2d in the AirPortAtheros40.kext and voila, it works.

//But! There are still some problems, my Wi-Fi stucks after 10 Minutes and I must re-activate my Wi-Fi Card in the Network Settings to get it work again. Some solutions maybe?

• 1 month later...