Install Guide For Dell Latitude D630 and D830

roneil4

957 posts in this topic

Noahbody99 just posted a kext, and it works fine! I followed his procedure he posted for creating the kext to the T, but it didn't work for me in the end. Somebody must of missed something, and it could have been me.

So, confirmed. Now two people with working BCM5755M on D860/630!

Kext here:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act...st&id=34636

P.S. Roneil4, Try Chun-nan's Battery kext. Gives time perfect, a lot more information in system profiler, and doesn't require any updated powermanagement.bundle. And, for graphics, I don't think you need all the pre-graphics update kexts, just the framebuffer. Errandwolfe mentioned it, and I found it to be true when I got X3000 working.

Hi,

Excellent work on D830. It seems you have made QE and CI work (full hardware acceleration) on Nvidia NVS 140M. Any chances that it will work on NVS 160M? The reason being that I wanted to get Dell Latitude E6500 which has Centrino 2 CPU with DDR-3 memory and backlit keyboard.

Appreciate your input.

Thanks.

Hi,

Excellent work on D830. It seems you have made QE and CI work (full hardware acceleration) on Nvidia NVS 140M. Any chances that it will work on NVS 160M? The reason being that I wanted to get Dell Latitude E6500 which has Centrino 2 CPU with DDR-3 memory and backlit keyboard.

Appreciate your input.

Thanks.

You should probably wait until someone gets this laptop and tries it. I'm guessing that the chipset will be unsupported for a while, because apple hasn't adopted the new chipset w/ any of their laptops. And w/ the gfx card, there is no way of knowing whether or not it will work until someone tries it.

I still can't get it to boot at ALL. No matter what. I tried disabling the acceleration and booting -F, -v, -x. No luck, always a kernel panic.

Try a different install disk.

i had the same issue with D630 remove NVinject and NVinjectGO, just use Nvkush.

Hi, there is no NVinject and NVinjectGO in my D630, I think D630 graphic card is intel GMAX3100, not NVida.

Noahbody99 just posted a kext, and it works fine! I followed his procedure he posted for creating the kext to the T, but it didn't work for me in the end. Somebody must of missed something, and it could have been me.

Kext here:

Well, I confirm it works on my D630, after a long looking for BCM5755 ethernet, it finally works !!!

Just a quick question has anyone been able to get the iDeneb 10.5.5 version working yet??

I am using iDeneb 1.5.5 on DeLL Latitude D630.

what is not working:

wireless.

restart and shutdown.

I still can't get it to boot at ALL. No matter what. I tried disabling the acceleration and booting -F, -v, -x. No luck, always a kernel panic.

try with: -v -F platform=X86PC cpu=1 (-legacy also may help)

10.5.5 works!!! D630 X3100

used FB file from this 3d: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=909801

removed AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext, used natit from the pack.

Installation:

iatkos 2.0i

removed X3100 kext

used  Mysticus C* update pack, with ichXX fix

moved X3100 kext in a temp dir

enabled sleepdisplay.app

changed FB e Natit in the temp dir

installed all with kexthelper

reboot!

go!

ethernet kext works with 10.5.5

bye

theSLug

Kext here:

I just want to add that this worked for me as well. I used kext helper, and installed it with no modifications. Yay! I have ethernet! And a mac address as well.

Hi there,

I use a Dell D630 and everything works flawless, even ethernet with the kext mentioned above.

The only thing I would love to fix is touching on the trackpad. The trackpad works but it is not possible to touch instead of using the mouse button. Does anybody of you have this working? I dont't care about two finger scrolling or something like this. I'm only really used to touch instead of clicking on the buttons.

Help is appreciated.

Bye.

Btw, right now I'm trying the beta kernel from the vodoo guys and it works perfect. Sleep and resume works in conjunction with speedstep. Speedstep right now only works with 1200mhz as the lowest setting even though the cpu could go to 800mhz but I think this is a minor issue an will be fixed soon. So we all should slowly migrate to this new kernel because then we are done and really everything works.

achtung, as far as I know (and from experience), it's difficult to get the trackpad working like a real trackpad. I've tried the automatic dell installer mentioned somewhere in this post, and while yes, it gave me two finger scrolling and touch to tap type stuff, it was the most glitchy thing I've ever used. As in, I could not predict at all what it would do, and it was just a real pain than a help. That being said, I've heard it takes a lot of configuration and tweaking, which I did not have the patience for (I was using the settings recommended by another D630 user).

In other news: i reported above that my ethernet works, and it surely still does. However, it's really messed with my sleep. Previously, the machine had about a 50% chance of sleeping, and 50% chance of pretending to sleep and then waking immediately. Now, those same percentages apply, but instead of sleeping immediately or waking immediately (not from sleep, but from trying to sleep), my computer now sits, with the screen off and power light on, for about 30 seconds before it decides it's actually going to sleep or not. I can only assume this is because of the ethernet kext since it's the last system modification I made.

actung, what vodoo kernel do you speak of?

A few pages ago, i had posted some of the following problems.

- Time Machine

- FCP

- dual core support

- Sound

- Power Management

Some of the problems had existed right since the time i installed iAtkos 2.0i.

others like sound and dual core support cropped up after i updated to 10.5.5.

After about a week i have managed to get these sorted out.

- dual core and power management : Thanks to Roneil and others on the post...followed the links. got the new kernel and IntelEnhancedSpeedStep.kext . Dual core working. Speed Step enabled.

- Sleep, restart and shutdown working once dual core support was realized. BAtter meter working with dellpackage installer

- Sound. Had to manually patch AppleHDA.kext. Tuk a gud 3 days to get it right. Now sound is working with both internal speakers and external output. mute not working. mic not working still.

- FCP and Time Machine:

These two were acting strange. FCP used to get stuck with the splash screen. TM used to give an error saying." Volume could not be found"

While sieving through the net for information i found that both FCP and TM use the ethernet mac address of en0 to generate some id's for the program thread. So basically your ethernet or wifi card whichever is en0 should have a valid mac address and not 00's.

Now i was using the external USB LAN card from Apple which was working on en5.

my broadcom isn't working and i really don't even want to get it working. So i realized i had no en0 with a mac address

thats when i found a iwi3945.kext which dosen't actually work totally. it just enables ur wifi card. it can search wifi networks. and can associate with unsecured networks. Once i got the kext installed it popped up as en0 in my network preferences. And Voila! time machine started working and FCP ran too...

I hope this helps people with a similar problem.

Adios

wire_surfer

Hi

I've got a Latitude D830 with iaktos v4i on it.

I ve got an issue with sleep : it works for about 1 second, i ve got the message in console :

"USB caused wake event (EHCI)"

Does someone get the same issue ? Unless that, my Hackintosh is fully fonctionnal.

Hi

I've got a Latitude D830 with iaktos v4i on it.

I ve got an issue with sleep : it works for about 1 second, i ve got the message in console :

"USB caused wake event (EHCI)"

Does someone get the same issue ? Unless that, my Hackintosh is fully fonctionnal.

If you have something plugged into one of your usb ports, unplug it. Then you should be able to sleep. If not, try reinstalling the sleep fix files in the first post. If it doesn't work then, you may need to reinstall os x. Oh also u need to be using the vanilla kernel.

@kirbysayshi, I'm talking about this kernel development:

http://code.google.com/p/xnu-dev/

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=127896

Works great so far for me.

And yes the ethernet kext also prevents my laptop from sleep (didn't tested sleep after installing the kext). It's not that big of a problem for me. I mostly use wlan and when I need to copy big files or streaming I just load the kext as needed and remove it afterwards.

@paulo-131, I have the same issues once in a while. I noticed that booting with a mass storage (IOUSBMassStorageClass.kext) wakes up my sleep. When I boot without attached storage device it works for me (even with usb mouse and keyboard). After you booted it's not a problem to attach a storage device but as mentioned by roneil4 you have to detach it before sleeping.

@paulo-131, I have the same issues once in a while. I noticed that booting with a mass storage (IOUSBMassStorageClass.kext) wakes up my sleep. When I boot without attached storage device it works for me (even with usb mouse and keyboard). After you booted it's not a problem to attach a storage device but as mentioned by roneil4 you have to detach it before sleeping.

Even when i start with nothing unplugged, it doesn't work.

I've tried EHCISleepEnabler from SuperHai, but it also doesn't work. Do you think it can deal with BIOS options or BIOS version (i have A13)

Paulo

I've tried EHCISleepEnabler from SuperHai, but it also doesn't work. Do you think it can deal with BIOS options or BIOS version (i have A13)

Paulo

Mmmh, I actually don't know if it has anything to do with the bios version/settings. All I can tell you is that I currently run my D630 with A09 as bios version. I actually never update my bios if there is no apperent reason. You can easily downgrade your bios firmware with the smbios tools unter linux.

powerconsumptionrl1.th.pngthpix.gif

A general question. I attached a screenshot of powertop running under linux which shows the power consumption and the estimated time left with the current charge.

When I switch over to leopard the power management shows only about 2+ hours left. Is there a way to monitor the power consumption under leopard?

Because I forced the cpu under leopard ( sysctl) to run with 800mhz and in linux (as you can see) the cpu also is most of the time running with 800mhz. Display brightness was both times set to the lowest possible. I also have wlan enabled on both environments. So I don't see why the battery times differ that much. Or is the displayed information just wrong within leopard?

So I just would like to know the power consumption under leopard. If the consumption is higher than under linux its obvious why the times differ.

Did anyone else tried to figure that out?

Bye.

My D630 works just fine with 10.5.4. Not updated to 10.5.5 yet. NIC is not working but no need as Airport works fine.

just a question regarding languages.

My install is from iAktos and my system operates in english. I've the Leopard Install DVD but I don't know how to install the french language as the DVD installer asks me to reboot on DVD (which is not working...of course)

Any Ideas ?

Thanks.

Hello,

I have been having trouble with Kalyway, and iDeneb on my Dell Latitude d830. In the past, I was able to install Kalyway (I forget the versions) on this laptop. Now, however, when I put the disc in the drive and try with verbose mode, it hangs on the line after IOAPCI, or something like that. It eventually says something along the lines can't find root, or something.

I have tried disabling everything under Performance in the BIOS, and I have tried booting with all of these options: -v -F platform=X86PC cpu=1 and -legacy.

Interestingly enough, when I put one OSX disc in the drive, it gives me a different root drive. One of them is hd(2,0) and the other is hd(2,1). I have an SATA hard drive and an IDE (I believe) disc drive. I believe the root should be hd(1,0), or possibly even hd(0,0), depending on which comes first in its numbering, the hard drive or disc drive. What option should I use to force it to use one of these?

Hi all,

Having problems getting the X1300 GPU to work properly on my D630.

I managed to get iAtkos 2 to install fine, and followed the kext removal how-to from the original post.

(I've tried not using the built in X1300 drivers, and also tried using them, same results).

I didn't manage to get an install to update to 10.5.3 like the how-to says, (kept on crashing) and then when I tried to run the Sleep app and then install the X1300 kexts using kext helper, (without updating anything, just the iAtkos 2.0 version) I get odd results:

What happens is:

If I leave it to boot normally, with no external monitor attached, it shows the OSX dekstop for a couple of seconds (solid colour) and then it disappears. It's all loading (hdd LED flashing away), but the screen won't show me what it's doing.

If I attach an external monitor, and at the Darwin bootloader, I pause the installation with F8, and then I switch the Dell to external monitor (whereby the lappy screen goes black and the external monitor shows Darwin) it continues to boot OSX but at the point where it would normally disappear (on the laptop screen), it turns off the external monitor, and loads my OSX desktop perfectly on the laptop screen. (With correct resolution, 1200x800 or whatever, correctly.)

How weird! I can't seem to get it working unless I have an external monitor connected. And even then it's buggy and I have to halt the loading process to do this; very annoying.

Can anyone help? Are there any other kexts for the X1300 card that work better than the ones in the original post?

Sorry if this seems a little basic, am learning first, but just can't figure this out.

Many thanks,

Diz.

Paulo

I am using bios vA12, so that may be the problem. I didn't update because I don't have a windows installation anymore.

Mmmh, I actually don't know if it has anything to do with the bios version/settings. All I can tell you is that I currently run my D630 with A09 as bios version. I actually never update my bios if there is no apperent reason. You can easily downgrade your bios firmware with the smbios tools unter linux.

powerconsumptionrl1.th.pngthpix.gif

A general question. I attached a screenshot of powertop running under linux which shows the power consumption and the estimated time left with the current charge.

When I switch over to leopard the power management shows only about 2+ hours left. Is there a way to monitor the power consumption under leopard?

Because I forced the cpu under leopard ( sysctl) to run with 800mhz and in linux (as you can see) the cpu also is most of the time running with 800mhz. Display brightness was both times set to the lowest possible. I also have wlan enabled on both environments. So I don't see why the battery times differ that much. Or is the displayed information just wrong within leopard?

So I just would like to know the power consumption under leopard. If the consumption is higher than under linux its obvious why the times differ.

Did anyone else tried to figure that out?

Bye.

Leopard is just a very power hungry OS when used on a hackintosh. I normally get about 3 hours out of a 6 cell battery. I have noticed though that time estimates in leopard can be somewhat inaccurate, so I normally just look at the percentage left. The percentage is directly read from the bios, using ACPI, so that is always accurate in os x. Time is calculated by the OS, so it isn't as accurate when using hacked files and stuff like that.

My D630 works just fine with 10.5.4. Not updated to 10.5.5 yet. NIC is not working but no need as Airport works fine.

just a question regarding languages.

My install is from iAktos and my system operates in english. I've the Leopard Install DVD but I don't know how to install the french language as the DVD installer asks me to reboot on DVD (which is not working...of course)

Any Ideas ?

Thanks.

I believe you can install extra languages from a vanilla leopard install disc, but I am not sure about how to do this. Try PMing a member of the forums here who is from france/speaks french.

Hello,

I have been having trouble with Kalyway, and iDeneb on my Dell Latitude d830. In the past, I was able to install Kalyway (I forget the versions) on this laptop. Now, however, when I put the disc in the drive and try with verbose mode, it hangs on the line after IOAPCI, or something like that. It eventually says something along the lines can't find root, or something.

I have tried disabling everything under Performance in the BIOS, and I have tried booting with all of these options: -v -F platform=X86PC cpu=1 and -legacy.

Interestingly enough, when I put one OSX disc in the drive, it gives me a different root drive. One of them is hd(2,0) and the other is hd(2,1). I have an SATA hard drive and an IDE (I believe) disc drive. I believe the root should be hd(1,0), or possibly even hd(0,0), depending on which comes first in its numbering, the hard drive or disc drive. What option should I use to force it to use one of these?

Some of the newer versions of discs do not work correctly. With kalyway, try using vanilla as a boot flag (vanilla is a kernel name, so type "vanilla", not "-vanilla").

Hi all,

Having problems getting the X1300 GPU to work properly on my D630.

I managed to get iAtkos 2 to install fine, and followed the kext removal how-to from the original post.

(I've tried not using the built in X1300 drivers, and also tried using them, same results).

I didn't manage to get an install to update to 10.5.3 like the how-to says, (kept on crashing) and then when I tried to run the Sleep app and then install the X1300 kexts using kext helper, (without updating anything, just the iAtkos 2.0 version) I get odd results:

What happens is:

If I leave it to boot normally, with no external monitor attached, it shows the OSX dekstop for a couple of seconds (solid colour) and then it disappears. It's all loading (hdd LED flashing away), but the screen won't show me what it's doing.

If I attach an external monitor, and at the Darwin bootloader, I pause the installation with F8, and then I switch the Dell to external monitor (whereby the lappy screen goes black and the external monitor shows Darwin) it continues to boot OSX but at the point where it would normally disappear (on the laptop screen), it turns off the external monitor, and loads my OSX desktop perfectly on the laptop screen. (With correct resolution, 1200x800 or whatever, correctly.)

How weird! I can't seem to get it working unless I have an external monitor connected. And even then it's buggy and I have to halt the loading process to do this; very annoying.

Can anyone help? Are there any other kexts for the X1300 card that work better than the ones in the original post?

Sorry if this seems a little basic, am learning first, but just can't figure this out.

Many thanks,

Diz.

I don't know how up to date those files are, I haven't changed them for a while. Try looking a couple pages back for some posts with other kexts.

Thanks! Wow, this new kernel is awesome. I removed the networking kext, since I'm basically in the same boat: I use wlan most often and only have to go to ethernet very rarely.

Now, this laptop sleeps no matter what! So this is awesome.

roneil4, perhaps you should add this to the main guide up top? and the networking too?

EDIT!!!!!

It seems that I was presumptuous in my assessment that sleep works all the time with the new kernel. Apparently, it just decided to sleep more often... but also gave me kernel panics when I tried to run vmware fusion 2.0. So, for now, the vodoo kernel seems to be mostly that, until some more work is done (note: I am not criticizing the kernel, just mentioning that yes, it is still in beta).

I am using iDeneb 1.5.5 on DeLL Latitude D630.

what is not working:

wireless.

restart and shutdown.

Hey, just curious what settings you used when installing? I can't get mine to detect my dvd rom drive after install.

Hey, just curious what settings you used when installing? I can't get mine to detect my dvd rom drive after install.

??

and even ????

on D630 DVD drive is ATA, and being recognized without any drivers needed (suppose it's built in kernel). Use System Profiler and look at ATA devices, it should be there.