Possible Dev DVD Being Leaked Soon

139 posts in this topic

*SPAM*

oh btw (Note that this post does not violate anything, I'm not distributing it, not am I asking for it, I'm merely discussing it) theres no need to get scared... :?

After trying several types of installation i found a very strange thing.

As i suppose to have the correct Devkit-DVD (md5 checked) i wonder why there are so few kext's in /System/Library/Extensions. The most important thing is that there is no AppleTPMACPI.kext, but you will find Rosetta in /usr/libexec/oah.

As the Installer needs ATSServer, and as ATSServer is only in PPC-Binary, it should need Rosetta to run. How is Rosetta started off the DVD if there is no TPM-Extension?

Correct me if i'm totally wrong, but this shows me that there is another way to start Rosetta TPM-less ???

just curious...i've installed the dev dvd w/ my iBook onto an external drive. file checks basically list everything as being intel & ppc coded. even on a PPC install rosetta is there. would it be of any benefit to rip a copy of the drive for the x86 efforts?

After trying several types of installation i found a very strange thing.

As i suppose to have the correct Devkit-DVD (md5 checked) i wonder why there are so few kext's in /System/Library/Extensions. The most important thing is that there is no AppleTPMACPI.kext, but you will find Rosetta in /usr/libexec/oah.

As the Installer needs ATSServer, and as ATSServer is only in PPC-Binary, it should need Rosetta to run. How is Rosetta started off the DVD if there is no TPM-Extension?

Correct me if i'm totally wrong, but this shows me that there is another way to start Rosetta TPM-less ???

just curious...i've installed the dev dvd w/ my iBook onto an external drive. file checks basically list everything as being intel & ppc coded. even on a PPC install rosetta is there. would it be of any benefit to rip a copy of the drive for the x86 efforts?

yes, please do that. tell us more about your progress here: http://www.concretesurf.co.nz/osx86/index.php

Also if you install the Dev Kit you got the 5.x version of iPhoto, Retail Tiger have 4.x version.

Breaking News

August 6, 2005- Some individuals have made great strides in constructing a version of OS X that works on regular PC hardware, bypassing the TPM that is required. Check out this video (http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=osx86) or this advanced screenshot (http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/2810/it27rv.jpg)! Although the GUI is up and running, reports state that it remains slow and highly unstable. More news as it happens...

Anyone know if there is a guide on how to do this?

if so please post a link

Thanks to all those who have contributed to making OSX86 run! I have no idea what you guys did, how you did it or how much work was involved. A lot, I'm sure.

I have Deadmoo's VMware image running on my dual Opteron. I can offer no real insight to how this works because I don't know enough about BSD or applying patches etc.

Untitled-2copy.gif

A few observations and questions:

I notice in the Activity Monitor that among the Intel processes the ATServer process is listed as PowerPC (which is expected I guess), but then after a short while the ATServer process disappears. Is its disappearance a function of the patches or does that happen when run natively on the Developer machines as well?

The responsiveness of the GUI is quite choppy, with the mouse not very smooth and applications can take a long time to start up. The spinning beachball gets a real workout. In fact, PearPC with 512MB on the same machine (a dual Opteron) launches apps considerably quicker. Is this a function of running through VMware or a limitation imposed by the patches? Would running OSX86 "natively" on my dual Opteron see a marked improvement?

And lastly, is there on the web a step-by-step procedure for installing OSx86 without VMware, that is geared for people like me who know very little about operating a BSD-like OS, the command line instructions or how to go about applying the patches etc? I appreciate this is all new stuff, but my working VMware install (thanks deadmoo) has wetted my appetite! I'd love to see how this thing runs on the dual Opteron but the instructions I have seen so far are far to cryptic for me.

P.S. What is the password for deadmoo's VMware Image? I'd like to try installing some apps.

Thanks!