Possible Dev DVD Being Leaked Soon

139 posts in this topic

Dummy files are generally large files comprised mostly of repeating text, just to occupy space. This is why they compress well. The only reason to use them is to start writing real data to a cd later in the burning process to ensure everything is written correctly and can be read by nearly all dvd drives. Since you see filenames in a hex editor, I guess it's probably just a bunch of large files that phenix zipped up and changed the extension on. Try opening it in winrar or something

Post edited due to implied violation of the DMCA.

Posting that in anyway implies a violation of the DCMA will not be permitted in this forum.

See Forum Rules for more information.

As far as I know, in every CD, no matter what OS is in it, the boot part is divided in two: a sequence of bytes that are common to almost any OS and tell the BIOS that the CD is bootable and what image to look at and the image itself that contains all the instructions to keep booting and to start the os installer.

For what I have seen, the problem seems to be in the second part of the boot process: the part where the bios start reading the image with the instructions of how to load the OS installer.

Now. Mac OS X is based on Darwin, right? and there is already a Darwin bootable CD (or DVD). Then, it shouldn't be that hard to replace or "link" somehow the Mac OS X boot section with the Open Darwin boot section. I came with this idea after looking at how Linux and BSD install themselves. It works, basically, in 3 steps:

1.- The first part (the common byte sequence) tells the bios that the DVD is bootable

2.- The bios looks for an installer image and start to read it.

3.- The image loads only the most essential drivers and only then launches the installer software, wich is separate from the previous two.

There is no need to touch the first steps, since the DVD boots. The third part it should be easy to fix, because the installer is a software itself and it's subordinated to the environment that the second part creates (the installer image).

If we could only try to modify the Darwin install part, the rest should be easy....theoretically.

Im sorry to be a little vague, but I don't have the image on my computer right now. I'm editing a DVD (yeah...a concert i downloaded from somewhere... :roll: ) and that takes up A LOT of hard drive space. I'll download the installer image as soon as I can.

Cheers.

I tried it on my compaq backup my opteron worksation m/b went bad, it booted but gave me a few possible reasons why it didn't complete this backup is just a cheap unit to get online with. It said m/b, video card vram, or ram size then discontinued boot it looks authentic almost like a linux type install.

Installation Procedure by

GrayFox from http://www.thenakedgeek.com/article.php?st...050623165844956

and fusion94 from http://fusion94.org/archives/2005/07/_mac_...os_x_for_i.html

Guide to installing the mac os leak on any x86 machine.

A few things you must know before doing this

-Your cpu must support sse2

-Very few video cards are supported

-Its aparently very buggy

-I haven't goten further then installing darwin yet (torrents still downloading)

--------Installing Darwin-------

-Get darwin X86

-Burn it to a cd

-Manualy partition the drive

-Darwin will get an error

-Reboot

-Select ufs for partition type

-When it prompts you if you want to do a clean instalation type in yes

-Wait for it to finish installing

-Make a root password

--------Updating Darwin-------

-Download this file: http://www.rejgond.com/Darwin-8.0.1to8.1.0.tar.gz

-In darwin do the following:

cd to the directory holding the file

gunzip Darwin-8.0.1to8.1.0.tar.gz

tar -xvf Darwin-8.0.1to8.1.0.tar

cd Darwin-8.0.1to8.1.0

run the script 'script'

-reboot

--------Installing Osx-------

-Find the torrent (There is 4 fakes ones out there and only 1 real one)

-Burn it to a dvd

mkdir /dvd/

mount_cd9660 /dev/disk1 /dvd/

-You should have a 3.7gb file named mactelbase.tar on your dvd

CODEtar xpf /dvd/mactelbase.tar -C /

sync&sync[/url]

You guys do know that the guide you are using is for the mactelbase.tar and not the developer dvd right? And that it is incomplete compared to the developer dvd that is floating around? And also that it is old news?

What I am interested in is seeing someone install it on a Mac, back it up, and then somehow restore the contents to a PC. However I don't know if that is possible. I think you would have to use the "dd" command to get a complete backup of the drive, then set install darwin, then dd the contents into the darwin install. If anyone is experienced using "dd," do you know if this is possible?

You guys do know that the guide you are using is for the mactelbase.tar and not the developer dvd right?  And that it is incomplete compared to the developer dvd that is floating around?  And also that it is old news?

What I am interested in is seeing someone install it on a Mac, back it up, and then somehow restore the contents to a PC.  However I don't know if that is possible.  I think you would have to use the "dd" command to get a complete backup of the drive, then set install darwin, then dd the contents into the darwin install.  If anyone is experienced using "dd,"  do you know if this is possible?

DD does bit by bit transfer, you'd be better off using tar.

heres some mac style ghost equivelants the disk copy for mac says it makes images i havent studied up on the others

carbon copy cloner http://www.bombich.com/software/ccc.html

clone x http://www.tri-edre.com/english/cloner.html

disk copy for macintosh http://8help.osu.edu/33607.html

*edit*

read disk copy for macintosh boy does mac have a lot of evolving to do i agree it is advanced in looks (graphics, gui) and some other ways more than windows but norton can copy the active harddrive (in windows slowly) and fast from a floppy and even save the image to the same drive :P

The os x disk restore would work, could copy all of the files over to an external drive. Then comes the task of bringing them to a partition or drive on a pc. How would this step be done?

Also do you install darwin 8.x.x first or what?

The only problem is that the drive would have to be formatted in HFS for it to work in another system.

There is a program called partition magic which can format partitions, including HFS from windows. The only problem is how would you put the files on that partition. Install Darwin on it first? I have no clue.

Even though the hfs and joliet files are the same it does not mean they install the same way. Most of the Bin files on the retail PPC disc are half the size of the ones the Phenix disc but just because those files have instructions for both x86 and ppc installation it does not mean they are universal. depending on the installation some files may be used while others not. Some of the files on the PPC retail 10.4.1 don't even have any information where as on the phenix they do. So these files must not be needed for PPC and the x86 install probably uses some the PPC install doesn't. You can see side by side screenies here : http://osx86.classicbeta.com/forum/viewtop...&highlight=#919

I hope I am wrong but I don't think a PPC install is compatible on a x86 machine.