New Mac Pros Announced on Jan 8 2008

Numberzz

131 posts in this topic

Hopefully by the next generation/revision they'll be priced like a Dell or HP (i.e. a good deal :)). Still, in terms of price to performance this is a huge step over the last Mac Pro.

Also, this time they have taken into account, at least partially, the different exchange rate between Dollar and Euro.

Look at this configuration (Apple Ireland):

Price: Eur 2,077.68

VAT: Eur 436.31

Subtotal: Eur 2,513.99

Free Shipping

Specifications

* One 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon

* 2GB (2x1GB)

* NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 512MB GDDR3

* 500GB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/s

* Two 16x SuperDrives

* AirPort Extreme Card (Wi-Fi)

* Apple USB Modem

* Apple Mighty Mouse

* Apple Keyboard & Mac OS

* Five USB ports

* Two FireWire 400 ports

* Two FireWire 800 ports

Here's the specs I would use:

One 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon (quad-core)

2GB (2 x 1GB)

320GB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/s

NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 512MB (Two dual-link DVI)

Two 16x SuperDrives

Apple wireless Mighty Mouse

Apple Wireless Keyboard (English) + Mac OS X

$2649

i didnt shred my bank card fast enough, my bank accounts are being emptied as soon as i cash a cheque in (and wait till macworld to see if i dont want something else). getting the base config with either 4x 2600's or an 8800gt, might even shell out more and get a raid card while ditching the 4x 2600xt

What I don't get is... say you have one of these new MacPro's with an 8800GT in it, and you (for whatever reason) need to reinstall Leopard from 10.5... How does it work without the 10.5.2 drivers?

They had to anticipate it. The drivers are probably already there.

What I don't get is... say you have one of these new MacPro's with an 8800GT in it, and you (for whatever reason) need to reinstall Leopard from 10.5... How does it work without the 10.5.2 drivers?

You use the Restore Disk that came with it, it should have a special 10.5.1 with G92 kexts OR it already has 10.5.2 final.

That's what you did with Santa Rosa MBP on 10.4.10.

great input to the thread colonel

Come on Kiko, you know Colonels posts are what most members sign in each day for...

EDIT: I miss his huge hilarious pictures that took over half my screen and forever to load :P

Don't give up on the Hackintosh!!! It's the only way you'll have any chance of upgrading your system!! I am a Mac Pro owner (I purchased one the day it was released) after using a hackintosh for about 6 months and have just found out that Apple is not going to support the new 8800 GT in the "Old" generation of Mac Pro. Mac Pro 8800 GT ThreadI can't properly express how pissed off I am. I converted from the PC & bought the Mac Pro exclusively for the fact that I would have the ability to upgrade the system with new GPUs / CPUs etc. (just like a PC). But since Apple doesn't seem to give a d*mn about providing their "Pro" owners with hardware upgrades, I'm done. I'm selling the Mac Pro and encouraging everyone I know to stay away from Apple and their retarded business practices.

I was a PC user for 15 years before switching to Apple. It only took apple a little more than a year to make me angry enough to go back. Even if Apple decides to pull its collective head out, I am no longer willing to tolerate their abuse. Here's another thread in case your interested: Apple Support Discussions

The first thing I always do is check transintl.com for Apple RAM. It seems a mere 16GB is only 759$.

Nice one, Apple.

I like the HD2600XT for a standard video card, if that means we can use it for our Hackintoshes. It's got great overclocking potential as it is slowed down intently and it's cheap as hell for having HDMI.

Giving up on hackintosh? Hackintosh is old and lame now, its like a whore who has slept with so many people she just aint got no appeal anymore. Why keep hackintosh that is plagued with issues when you have the money to do the right thing and buy a mac, which mind the stupid quote "just works" no need to {censored} with darwin bootloaders or kexts. And for a machine like the Mac Pro all you need to upgrade is the ram and maybe drop in a quadro vdieo card considering these machines are not meant to be playing doom 3 or cod 4, they are professional workstations for pople who need the power a xeon provides

Giving up on hackintosh? Hackintosh is old and lame now, its like a whore who has slept with so many people she just aint got no appeal anymore. Why keep hackintosh that is plagued with issues when you have the money to do the right thing and buy a mac, which mind the stupid quote "just works" no need to {censored} with darwin bootloaders or kexts. And for a machine like the Mac Pro all you need to upgrade is the ram and maybe drop in a quadro vdieo card considering these machines are not meant to be playing doom 3 or cod 4, they are professional workstations for pople who need the power a xeon provides

For those of us who can afford to use the Mac Pro as a an everyday use machine, and enjoy playing games in Windows (under bootcamp), the lack of an upgrade path for the GPU is unacceptable. This situation also applies to the "professional" users as well. I won't go into it here, simply because I don't want to spend the time, but follow some of the links in my previous post for some enlightenment on this topic. Anyway, Had I realized when I purchased my "upgradeable" Mac Pro that Apple would not bother to provide me or any Mac Pro owners with a better GPU option (the 400.00 ATI x1900 is {censored}), there's no way I would have bought the system, or switched over at all. Thinking: "Hey, it's Intel hardware, I should be able to pop a new GPU in anytime I choose, no problem." I suppose it's my fault for assuming that Apple would provide drivers and/or an upgrade path that didn't involve having to purchase an entirely new system just to obtain a new GPU... If I wanted that kind of situation, I would have purchased an iMac.

Running a hackintosh, even though I agree that it's a pain in the ass, is the only real way to ensure your not pigeonholed into Apple hardware.

i can afford to use a mac pro for everyday use, but im just sick of hackintosh, my hardware doesn have to be the latest and greatest to play the games i want, if i want to play some uber game, id pop a new video card into my pc, i always keep a separate machine for tinkering and playing games, having a mac pro only would not be ideal if you like games. But meh, each to his own