Ethernet Driver for Marvell 88E1116

MikeInNs

223 posts in this topic

i prefer not to turn a core off due to sluggish performance lol but it does run quite well and has only paniced on me twice now....

Uhm, if you have sluggish performance with 1 core you have other issues.  I am running on one and the machine is still blazing fast.  Check your Activity Monitor (/Applications/Utilities/Activity Monitor) and see if your % System cpu use goes rather high when using your hard drive or otherwise.  When mine was stuttering with 1 core, this was the problem.  It does it with both cores as well, its just you have one free to do stuff while the other gets wasted.

Anyways, worth a check.

As the original forcedeth driver and this driver are using the same framework, the kernel panics seem to be framework-related, because im getting kernel panics with the original forcedeth driver in leopard too when i try to download larger files.

As the original forcedeth driver and this driver are using the same framework, the kernel panics seem to be framework-related, because im getting kernel panics with the original forcedeth driver in leopard too when i try to download larger files.

Thanks, that is use full information, I didn't know it was happening in the forcedeth driver as well. This means that the framework is to blame. Not very good news though. I knew the framework was not exactly according to Apple's standard so to say but I was under the impression it was fairly stable.

I did some test's yesterday in Tiger transferring 24gb (computer 2 computer), downloading with azareus and watching an web cam at the same time with no problems. (so far I didn't have a freeze or kernel panic yet..)

I will do my best and see what I can find. if anyone can give me some more information would really help!

Mike.

yesterday i did experience two "freezes" i use to do a lot of tasks alltogether, i had various firefox downloads, i was using a torrents file downloader tvwatch or something like that, transmission for download the torrents that tvwatch downloaded and when i opened vlc to play a video file, it kind of freezed... istat didnt show a great cpu use, my mouse was running fine, its an usb wireless mouse attached to ps/2 port and my keyboard its a wired ps/2, mouse cursor was working without problems but apps didnt response, i clicked on spaces to change desktop and after 5 minutes there were the four selection desktops but still freeze, at the end i did shutdown my computer pressing power button for 4 seconds, on the next restart it did show a lot of errors on startup i didnt know what they were pointing to, ill try to write down next time.

sorry if its not very helpful...

i have an striker motherboard with one lan port disabled on bios.

great job mate, here is asus p5n32e-sli 680i chipset...

it was the last thing but the most important on my computer that was not working and now it works... great efforts!!!!

driver loads saying my card is not known to work as expected from forcedeth, after 30 secs delayed boot as u suggested, it worked fine, i did download couple of files big ones and didnt see any issue maybe bcoz i have a little fast net speed (16mbits) but so downloading couple of 100 mb files took only 1.5 mins and didnt have any issues yet... no freezing at the moment... hopefull wont have in the future,

i m testing this on 10.4.8 at the moment...

i will test it on 10.4.10 and 10.4.11 later today to see any difference...

Thats what MeDevil said about the forcedeth-related kernel panics:

Yes, i've noticed this issue too. However, this happens only in leopard. Imho, the driver should be:

1) updated with the latest linux forcedeth changes.

2) rewrited by using the nve freebsd code as a base (note: this isn't "porting" the driver, but write a new one!)

Option 1 seems to be the "faster" one, while Option 2 should bring a more stable version when coded corretly -_-

Ok, after looking at the source code a bit more I think what is happening is that we have a 'multithreading' problem.

Why?

- Working on 1 core works.

- Several applications usings the NIC can cause problems (1 app. in general works).

- Leo deals differently with multi-threading then tiger. (Tiger working fine)

- Source code is not 'multithreading safe'.

Currently the driver supports multi-threading, although in a very wacky way, so what is happening is that two applications are writing to the output queue at the same time, normally a locking mechanism is in place which will prevent this, but in our case it is allowed and resulting in freezes and kernel panics etc.

The plan is to bring the driver back to 'single threaded' mode and hopefully get this issue resolved.

What I am looking for are some volunteers who are experiencing problems, and have of course have Leo. installed who are willing to test the driver. If you are, send me a PM with your e-mail address, I don't want to post the driver here yet because it is all very experimental. I will make the changes later on tonight and when I am done, e-mail them out.

Thanks!

Mike.

Ok, thanks guys! I have enough people by now who are willing to put there hackintosh on the line and test the driver. The changes are done so hopefully this will do the trick. Anyone who signed up will receive the driver shortly.

Once again, Thanks! really appreciated!

Mike

hi mike,

i posted a comment saying it doesnt freeze, it freezes after some extensive usage... in fact the whole thing freezes at once..

great work though, i hope bugs can be fixed soon...

got exactly the same problem on my machine, i'm running the same mobo as mysticus, only with core2duo. extensive usage just freezes the whole system. for example i ran software update and after about 60mb of downloaded updates, the system just locked up and i had to restart.

cu and thanks for the efforts on this driver!

Ok, just a quick heads up, i am aware of the system freezing under heavy usage.

Currently I am testing a new driver with the help of some people from this forum (Thanks :D

So as soon as we have got it stable enough for release I will post the updated driver.

Update:

Tiger:

Tested with driver in #1 post under tiger, had to add device id:0x0269 in info.plist. Works like a charm!

Leo:

Did same thing under Leo, it froze my system if doing same dling from same site. Got email with test driver will test it tonight and report it back here.

Thanks for great jobs! Mike.

Mike, just let you know. The second test driver under leo is working great so far, if too many threads jammed the traffic, it will stop sending or receiving not freeze the system like your described in the mail. Cool!

PS, just found out, if I turn to xp and turn back to leo, network won't work, have to shutdown power for a while and turn back on to get NIC working.

Just to quell the crowd before everyone starts asking for the "test driver".

I can not say the same about my own system. I've had two kernel panics running the new driver all under network load. One seemingly at random (because I was simply browsing the net) and another shortly after initiating a network file transfer with my MacBook.

Let's keep news of the status of the drivers to e-mails so that Mike isn't swarmed with people asking for a driver that's probably going to freeze their system just as often as it'll work correctly. =)

Just to quell the crowd before everyone starts asking for the "test driver".

I can not say the same about my own system. I've had two kernel panics running the new driver all under network load. One seemingly at random (because I was simply browsing the net) and another shortly after initiating a network file transfer with my MacBook.

Let's keep news of the status of the drivers to e-mails so that Mike isn't swarmed with people asking for a driver that's probably going to freeze their system just as often as it'll work correctly. =)

Sorry, OB, you are right. This is still under testing. All others please be patient, and give mike some free time for further development and troubleshooting.