Radeon 3850/3870 thread

netkas

212 posts in this topic

Have an asus EAH3850 PCI-E and installing the drivers gives me a black screen after boot. using DVI2VGA converter.

http://tinyurl.com/6n4zxh

Leo4allV3 10.5.4

Hardware :

Asus M2V-MX SE

AMD 5000 X2

- FSB: 2000 MT/s

- chipset: VIAR K8M890 / VIA VT8237A "not working"

- 2 x Dual Channel DDR2 667/ 533, max. 2 GB,

- PCIe x16, 2x PCI

- Asus EAH3850/G/HTDI/256M "not working"

- Realtek ALC883 6 csatornás "working"

- LAN: 10/100 Mbps "working"

- PS/2, 4 x USB, RJ45, audio I/O,

- 2 x ATA 133/100, 2 x S-ATA, 2 x S-ATA 3Gb/s, 2 x USB,

-RAM :- 2 GB DDR@ 800 MHz

• 4 weeks later...

Well its not working for my Club3D HD 3850 512MB OC Edition... I am getting "The Disco Screen of Death" (lol) So could somebody give me a fast tutorial? Cuz i just pressed install and rebooted... I really hate it because i bought this videocard because i thought it would work with dvi and my old HD 2400 pro didn't...

Thanx & Greetz, Stiruam

Edit: ill try http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=94090 asap

Hey,

Just wanted to add some info to the mix and also say THANK YOU to everyone who works on this stuff.

MSI Radeon 3850 256MB on a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3P Rev 2.0 (firmware f11)

Kalyway 10.5.2 install dvd (had to change SATA RAID/AHCI Mode to Disabled and Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode to AHCI to boot off the dvd in my ATA dvd drive, after that it hasn't mattered)

After vanilla install, no graphics options selected, I ran the leopard graphics update, then the white menus fix from the dvd via pacifist. Filename "white_menus_fixe_HD3850_3870x2_whitemenusfixe38503870x2.pkg"

All resolution options available, CI, QE, rotation report available and I can definitely feel the QE working.

woot!

OWC are selling the ATI Radeon HD 3870 Mac® & PC edition

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/ATI%20Technologies/100435928/

Would this be something that will work in a hack? Its 220 dollars like 160 euro's not bad if it would work natively.

I got a ati X1900 XTX that runs great in tiger but {censored} in leo im thinking of upgrading.

Hello,

I´m totally new to this hackintosh thing, but two days ago my shuttle sg31g2 arrived... Because of the not so well supported integrated intel gma 3100 I bought a Sapphire Radeon HD 3850 512 MB. It took me a whole day to install several times in different orders Kalyway 10.5.2, Graphic updates, natit.kexts, white-menu-fixes and all that stuff without success. I got kernel panics (actually I think that were kernel panics, my PowerBook G4 never had a kernel panic within 5 years).

Finally I read about this BIOS thing... So I switched to Windows XP and had a look at the ATI Catalyst Control Center. It said that the date of the BIOS is from 11th June 2008. So I thought, that maybe an older BIOS could do the job. I flashed the BIOS with an older version and now I´m happy: Leopard boots, all resolutions work, quartz and core are fine.

Today I wanted to give the new BIOS version another try and flashed the BIOS again with the original version. Leopard did not want to boot anymore. Now I´m back with the old BIOS and everything is fine again. But I would like to know, if there is more information about the different BIOS versions and what would be the best and where to get it?

Hello,

Finally I read about this BIOS thing... So I switched to Windows XP and had a look at the ATI Catalyst Control Center. It said that the date of the BIOS is from 11th June 2008. So I thought, that maybe an older BIOS could do the job. I flashed the BIOS with an older version and now I´m happy: Leopard boots, all resolutions work, quartz and core are fine.

Today I wanted to give the new BIOS version another try and flashed the BIOS again with the original version. Leopard did not want to boot anymore. Now I´m back with the old BIOS and everything is fine again. But I would like to know, if there is more information about the different BIOS versions and what would be the best and where to get it?

The bios thing means that you didnt flash an foreing bios , use YOUR bios and change dev-id of it to 3870.

You can do that with RBE. I will try that today. (Setting my MSI 3850 to 3870)

http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/Utilities/RBE/

I added an screenshot on VMWARE Fusion showing that.

BUT: You an NOT use RBE to extract BIOS within Fusion and NOT use Winflash to flash it back. Both must be done in Win native.

I would change not any other thing in first test.

Bild_26.jpg

Hey mitch_de,

thank you for the rbe hint! I used atiflash 3.6 (had to make a dos start disk and thanked God I had a floppy drive  :D ). This rbe seems to be so easy to use.

I heard that changing the dev-id has an influence on how the card works under Windows. Is that true?

Actually I like the fan speed of this old BIOS version. Sometimes the fan does not move at all and when it moves, it does not spin with three millions rpms :P .

I just played a little bit RBE, changed some settings, flashed them to the bios, but without success. I think, I´ll stay with this funny old BIOS that works...

I started flashing it at 3870 - that works but , as said by others the Win usage is the first problem:

Even if you get installed ( i got hat), also GPU-Infos shows "rigth" Vendor/Dev_ID but after restart the Controlcenter compains after restart that no ATI card is installed. So card is at leadt not usable with Win.

I didnt check if it works in OS X, because i thinkl for the most users WIN 3D is a MUST have.

I also went back to orig. BIOS. At least RBE works perfect for a bit Overclocking.

I run Overclocking test in the ATI-CCC (Win) gives a max- of 720/940 ,i use now 690 / 920 MHZ insted of 669/830 on my MSI 3850 512 MB !

That´s wierd. I also tried 3870 (left anything else unchanged) for my sapphire 3850. Windows worked, but Leopard did not.

How do you get it (3850>3870) worked in Win ?

I tried for hours to get ATI 8.7 Drivers + Controlcenter in Win XP working.

Drivers installed but ATI Message Window : No ATI CARD.

Or did you use OMEGA? Drivers or installed Vista ?

Thanks

The best way would be to get the reason WHY whitemenue bug comes up using orig.(newest) ATI2000XXXX.KEXT.

I must use 1.5.24 (1.5.28 from 10.5.3 is newest) to get the whitemenues off.

Sure we can use it with that older version, but this can get also worst (next 10.5.5 update).

Has anyone an complete package using 1.5.28 kexts got to work ?

Or using efi stings for the 3850 with orig. new drivers ?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Hy @ all.

I´ve got a hd3850 card with the following dev.:1002-9505 for video

and dev.:1002:aa18 for hd audio support over dvi or hdmi.

Now my problem i´ve tried different kexts from the forum to fix the white menu failure but its still there.

Second problem is, that there is no Sound over both dvi or hdmi interfaces, ist there a solution to fix this problem???

need help, please answer!!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I've done a fresh install of kalyway 10.5.2 without any video drivers. I've got a gigabyte HD3870 512MB deviceId 9501 and on normal boot all I get is the scrambled disco screen after the gray apple logo. It can boot with in safe mode -x but I only get standard vesa modes ad 60Hz.

The installer for 3870 made by lastExile doesn't help much, in fact it makes it worse because after it installed successfully and reboot it hangs on the gray logo screen with the message to restart. not even the safe mode works anymore as it hangs at the same point.

I've noticed that others also have this problem so is there a known workaround ?

thanks

EDIT: got it working with triakis after lots of failed attempts with all versions of natit that I could find.

• 4 weeks later...

SOLVED!

After changeing Motherboard to an AMD one (790x), everthing runs fine.

not really colourful, rather grey and black. (only some colour dots)

and rather square segments thant dots.

like seen here:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...090&st=113#

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...4090&st=69#

btw: my passive card should be cool enough because of fans in case ..

im running a amd on a nforce 4/5 mobo, dual dvi

[EDIT]

this garbled screen occours on install, e.g. from zephs 10.5.2r2. it seems that it is some kind of

display of the runnig system, as one can see the mouse move/ menues pop up in this little fragments.

So: wtf is this? memory not accessed properly on the card? wrong frequency?

with -x i get to boot, though, without any gfx support.

after instaling lastexiles 3870hd package, i get a blackscreen with reboot after the gray loading

screen. this time not even -x helps.

• 2 months later...
Hi everyone,

I've done a fresh install of kalyway 10.5.2 without any video drivers. I've got a gigabyte HD3870 512MB deviceId 9501 and on normal boot all I get is the scrambled disco screen after the gray apple logo. It can boot with in safe mode -x but I only get standard vesa modes ad 60Hz.

The installer for 3870 made by lastExile doesn't help much, in fact it makes it worse because after it installed successfully and reboot it hangs on the gray logo screen with the message to restart. not even the safe mode works anymore as it hangs at the same point.

I've noticed that others also have this problem so is there a known workaround ?

thanks

EDIT: got it working with triakis after lots of failed attempts with all versions of natit that I could find.

hmm I have the same exact card and have been trying to get it to work as well! Can you go into a little more detail? Is triakis an alternative to the natit? And where can I find this triakis?

I'm working on my GA-EP45-UD3 Mobo under 10.5.6 an try to get my Sapphire HD3870 Ultimate (pass.) to work but until now with no luck :-(

ATI,RadeonHD3800:

Chipsatz-Modell: ATI,RadeonHD3800

Typ: Monitor

Bus: PCIe

PCIe-Lane-Breite: x16

VRAM (gesamt): 512 MB

Hersteller: ATI (0x1002)

Geräte-ID: 0x9501

Versions-ID: 0x0000

ROM-Version: 113-B2250F-207

EFI-Treiberversion: 01.00.207

Monitore:

SyncMaster:

Auflösung: 1680 x 1050 @ 60 Hz

Farbtiefe: 32-Bit Farbe

Core Image: Software

Hauptmonitor: Ja

Synchronisierung: Aus

Eingeschaltet: Ja

Quartz Extreme: Nicht unterstützt

Rotation: Unterstützt

Monitoranschluss:

display: family specific matching fails

ethernet: family specific matching fails

Alkor: Starting.

choosed model ATI Radeon 3800 Series

Alkor: Setting @0,compatible=ATY,Triakis

Alkor: Setting @1,name=ATY,Triakis

Alkor: Setting @0,display-connect-flags=0x00000400

Alkor: Setting ATY,Rom#=113-B2250F-207

Alkor: Setting @0,name=ATY,Triakis

Alkor: Setting @1,EDID=<data not shown>

Alkor: Setting @1,compatible=ATY,Triakis

Alkor: Setting ATY,memsize=0x20000000

Alkor: Setting @1,device_type=display

Alkor: Setting model=ATI,RadeonHD3800

Alkor: Setting @0,device_type=display

Alkor: Setting @0,EDID=<data not shown>

Alkor: Setting @1,display-connect-flags=0x00000400

Alkor: Setting ATY,EFIVersion=01.00.207

Alkor: Setting ATY,EFIVersionBios=113-B22501-X22B

Alkor: Setting ATY_EFIEnabledMode=0x00000002

Alkor: Setting device_type=ATY,TriakisParent

Alkor: Setting VRAM,totalsize=0x20000000

Alkor: Setting AAPL,aux-power-connected=0x00000001

Alkor: Setting name=ATY,TriakisParent

ethernet: match category IODefaultMatchCategory exists

** Device in slot: SLOT--1 **

please help ^^<

Search here for thread ATI 3800 EFISTUDIO_EXTENDED - for most (with OS X >= 10.5.5) it is a good

solution using efi gfx string (link to Megadolon FB, not Lamna or Triakis)

Q:

Anyone tried newest Snow Leo Build with ATI 38XX ?

My 10.5.6 works perfect with 3850 (using EFISTUDIO_EXTENDED, ATI38XX MEGADOLON selection),

but problems starts again using 10.6.0. Lots of changes (new .kexts not where in 10.5,...)

The ATY_MEGADOLON.KEXT is normaly installed within the ATIRNDRV.KEXT , like ATY_LAMNA.KEXT is within ATINDRV.KEXT(since OS X 10.5.4 update).

You can control that be finder show content on that ATIxxxx.kext -

You dont need to install anything using EFISTUDIO_EXTENDED.

The written efi gfx string (simple select the ATI38XX MEGADOLON 512 MB) links to megadlon framebuffer.

The ATY_Megadolon.kext must only exist (in that ATIRNDRV.KEXT), thats all.

How it should look (the content) i attached

Bild_250.jpg

Ok so i used EFI Studio Extended with the megaladon gfx striing thing( im not really too sure what that is or what im talking about) AND IT WORKED! I can change my resoultion and what not! Thank you so much sir i would like to make love to you for your help but the best i could do for now would be cyber because we only contact over the internet and i dont really know you. Thanks for your help and thanks to everyones hard work on making all this stuff possible the only problem i run into is it says my card is not quartz extreme supported. any idea if the Sapphire HD 3870 actually isnt supported or if this is something i can fix?

• 2 months later...
Hi everyone,

thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys, I installed iDeneb v1.4 successfully on my Pc that has a Powercolor HD3870 (I think it's a limited edition 'cause it has a huge copper fan and there was also a powercolor football in the box) but when I try to boot I alwas get a weird screen after the grey loading screen with the apple. I tried vaious drivers during installation but it's always the same. My old GeForce 6600 works perfectly fine but I want to use my Radeon card :blink::gun::( . Does anyone know a solution for this problem. I heard something about this RBE tool, is it possible to solve the porblem with it? Pleeeeaaaaase help me I'm totally desperate!

Ps. Sorry if my English isn't that good but I'm form Germany

EDIT: By the way the HD3870 works fine on windows xp.

post-414805-1240419173_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...
Hey guys, I installed iDeneb v1.4 successfully on my Pc that has a Powercolor HD3870 (I think it's a limited edition 'cause it has a huge copper fan and there was also a powercolor football in the box) but when I try to boot I alwas get a weird screen after the grey loading screen with the apple. I tried vaious drivers during installation but it's always the same. My old GeForce 6600 works perfectly fine but I want to use my Radeon card ;):):( . Does anyone know a solution for this problem. I heard something about this RBE tool, is it possible to solve the porblem with it? Pleeeeaaaaase help me I'm totally desperate!

Ps. Sorry if my English isn't that good but I'm form Germany

EDIT: By the way the HD3870 works fine on windows xp.

The same issue for me on PowerColor. I think it is a conflict between 10.6 or higher and HD3800 series. If somebody know how to solve that problem, pls help us!!!

Thks,

Cuecao.