Radeon 3850/3870 thread

netkas

212 posts in this topic

This may sound dumb but how to get it to work is:

Install Kalyway 10.5.1 and then install the stuff from the HD3870.zip? How? Double click the HD3870.pkg or something?

I have a X38 mobo with a Sapphire HD3870 btw :)

EDIT: I think ive answered myself, double clicking. But then what? Do I have to change device id's or something? Or am I wrong altogether?

I've got a 3870 that i'm gonna try with these. thing is netkas (and some others) have said you just install the pkgs and youre set.

the .txt in the triakis however, says to put my devID ("0x9501" according to sys profiler and a few forum searches) in the .plist of a kext (don't remember its exact name now - too lazy to check again). which of these options should i go for (adding devID or not) and where in the .plist would i put it?

sorry if it's basic, but you gotta ask to learn ;)

I've got a 3870 that i'm gonna try with these. thing is netkas (and some others) have said you just install the pkgs and youre set.

the .txt in the triakis however, says to put my devID ("0x9501" according to sys profiler and a few forum searches) in the .plist of a kext (don't remember its exact name now - too lazy to check again). which of these options should i go for (adding devID or not) and where in the .plist would i put it?

sorry if it's basic, but you gotta ask to learn ;)

I didn't change a single bit. Just installed and everything is working fine except menus :/

hd3870 overheating !

thanks for letting me know, that it's running full tilt,

what is not good !

can somebody post, the section of the power managment, what got striped out ?

and is there an opensource code for the ATI card, ??

maybe cross reference it ?

I was really hopeful to reduce the power problem last night - I got a copy of the ROM editor here: http://www.aledander.de/vb/ati_bios_editor/atibiosedit.zip

more here: http://www.aledander.de/vb/ati_bios_editor/atibiosedit.zip

I changed my boot, 2d, and 3d core and memory clocks to 300/400 MHz respectively. Rebooted into XP, and confirmed that it was clocked down that low and recognized. I even down-volted it to .974 volts (this could be part of the problem described below.). In order to do that, I had to switch to German locale (because of the , and . decimal place shift - it would corrupt the ROM otherwise).

Anyway, worked in XP, but when booted into Mac OS 10.4.11, it got hot as hell. I booted into 10.5, hot as hell. I didn't load the 3870 driver / Trikas patch yet, but I don't think it will help. I'm pretty sure there's more to PowerPlay than just going from lowest to highest clockspeeds.

EDIT: I loaded the 10.5 drivers this morning, and it's still getting hot in Leopard. It might be COOLER than it was at full clockspeed (there's no GPU sensors for Hackintosh yet, right?), but it definately ain't as cool as in XP. The heatsink is touchable in XP, almost cold (!) running on the Desktop, and in 10.5, it's most assuredly hot - hot enough to not be fun after about 10 seconds touching the bare-aluminum edge. I've even got a 12cm fan blowing on it low-speed.

It MIGHT be cooler than it was, but it definately isn't PowerPlay-esque. Please, Apple, release those 38xx/36xx/34xx iMacs soon! ;-)

-GPP

Nikos,

The files mostly need to go into /System/Library/Extensions, and you can use Pacifist to install them, but you need a Tiger system to install them first. You can't just extract them on a Windows system and put them in the right directories, unfortunately.

-Dan

i managed to boot finally simply by selecting the SSE2 option.Since i have the core 2 duo E6600 2,4ghz,whats with this option anyway???

By installing the files from netksas.org gave me many small black and white sguares on reboot.So is a non go for my HD3870!

I did a few installs, and i installed the "twriaks" pkgdriver and added the first time my device id w/o the vendors id inside the strings....only 0x9505.

I could change reso at 1280x1024 no problem. Of course no qe and the other feature. Its bad bc, no fullscreen videosupport.

After a few more install, i added again the id, but this time with the vendors id 0x95051002. But with that icant bypass the bluescreen. So i other words, do i need to enter the vendorid to,for qe maybe?, or is 0x9505 the needed value ?¿

merci

Hi,

this evening i've tried the last version of drivers, all ok but white menu issue.

Cards (2x HD3850 connect3d, 512MB) are recognized, monitor also (syncmaster 1680x1050).

Any news on "white menu" problem?

Regards.

P.s. my system is Leo 10.5.1 (efi 8, stock kernel) on Asus maximus formula (x38+ich9r), 4gb ddr2, intel E6850.

I was really hopeful to reduce the power problem last night - I got a copy of the ROM editor here: http://www.aledander.de/vb/ati_bios_editor/atibiosedit.zip

more here: http://www.aledander.de/vb/ati_bios_editor/atibiosedit.zip

I changed my boot, 2d, and 3d core and memory clocks to 300/400 MHz respectively. Rebooted into XP, and confirmed that it was clocked down that low and recognized. I even down-volted it to .974 volts (this could be part of the problem described below.). In order to do that, I had to switch to German locale (because of the , and . decimal place shift - it would corrupt the ROM otherwise).

Anyway, worked in XP, but when booted into Mac OS 10.4.11, it got hot as hell. I booted into 10.5, hot as hell. I didn't load the 3870 driver / Trikas patch yet, but I don't think it will help. I'm pretty sure there's more to PowerPlay than just going from lowest to highest clockspeeds.

EDIT: I loaded the 10.5 drivers this morning, and it's still getting hot in Leopard. It might be COOLER than it was at full clockspeed (there's no GPU sensors for Hackintosh yet, right?), but it definately ain't as cool as in XP. The heatsink is touchable in XP, almost cold (!) running on the Desktop, and in 10.5, it's most assuredly hot - hot enough to not be fun after about 10 seconds touching the bare-aluminum edge. I've even got a 12cm fan blowing on it low-speed.

It MIGHT be cooler than it was, but it definately isn't PowerPlay-esque. Please, Apple, release those 38xx/36xx/34xx iMacs soon! ;-)

-GPP

I know how you feel, I'm stuck with Vista for now because of the same problem

Kinda scared for the people running the 3870s under OSX 24/7

Do you think the fan settings could also be possibly screwed up? Because I know the card got extremely hot but the fan never made any noise increase...

I know how you feel, I'm stuck with Vista for now because of the same problem

Kinda scared for the people running the 3870s under OSX 24/7

Do you think the fan settings could also be possibly screwed up? Because I know the card got extremely hot but the fan never made any noise increase...

I think this was a design decision by ATI to reduce noise - let the part get as hot as thermals will allow. Although in our case, I think maybe it's getting a bit TOO hot. I think I was getting disk corruption in Leopard because if it. Not 100% sure, as I think that Disk Utility could have been at fault, but taking the card out seems to have solved the problem.

-Dan

KILL-A-WATT HD3870 power consumption,...

can somebody, measure the watts for the HD3870 / HD3850

in leopard, and in windows with powermizer, in IDLE while browsing ??

why: they run to hot,...

8800gt uses 40+ watt more in idle (windoze) = $60 per year electric bill,...

fanless , low idle power the goal, 96% , 4% gaming (family computer)

and do the 10.5.2 + graphics update ?

don't understand why the hd3850 is more trouble, since it's the same core RV670, just lower clocked,..

news: HD3650 , suppose the replace the 2600xt

?? is this card in the new graphics update ?

thanks

Yeah, I'm wanting to know this too-- does 10.5.2 plus the "Graphics Update" do anything to make the 3850 work with OSX86? I'm building a new machine and want to know if I can buy a 3850, or if I'll have to fork out the bucks to get an nvidia card (probably 8800GT).

H i all,

I just updated to 10.5.2 and ran the graphic update. it works perfectely (as it was before).

now I'd like to try adding a GFX string to PC EFI. Anyone got a string for a 3870 (possibly a Saphirre)?

i've got no luck finding one. Else i'll try to make me own.

cheers.