Radeon 3850/3870 thread

netkas

212 posts in this topic

Wow...as i'm reading all of this, all i see is back and forth of the ATI 3870's....which is what i have....I still don't know how to install the ktext or even GET them for the 3870...i'm planning on updating to 10.5.2 tonight...we'll see if that works, but if not, i don't know how to get the ktext for the 3870, or how to install it...can someone maybe email me a step by step instruction on how to do it? email: eastmatrix1393@aol.com I'm new to hackintosh but a wiz at windows...lol...exact oposite of what i need right now....Thanks a ton guys, i'm learning a bunch as i read and go along, I've needed apple for Garage Band for a long time!!

~Brent

you need the leopard graphics update + natit from netkas blog use kext helper to install the natit and use pacifist to install the graphics update if your on 10.5.1 if your on 10.5.2 just install it normal and before reboot install the natit :D

ok many thanks :D I will try folow your guide :)

ok many thanks :) I will try folow your guide ;)

be carefull! thet guide gave me a black screen ;)

@lastExile: could you please be so kind and tell us what exactly do you mean by "installing the graphics update with pacifist?" Have I done something wrong by right-clicking the update package and selecting "install on default location"?

thanks for you help

xbench and glview benchmark !?

my xbench on 2600xt is slower than gma950,...

...currently have screen blackout's with camino , vlc,...

netkas mentioned, to us glview,

once I get home I post mine,

lets post some benchmarks

http://www.realtech-vr.com/glview/download.html

http://www.xbench.com/

Big thanks to lastExile for help.

Im using the 10.5.1 Kalyway install, updated to the 10.5.2 Kalyway all in one patch, installed the Leopard Graphics update and then the updated 38xx series fix. QE and CI hardware accelerated and no white menus!

I'll post some screens once ive finished doing stuff on the PC side of things!

my 3850 didn't work. :unsure:

what i've done:

- remove any custom kext, reinstall standard os 10.5.2 kext. repair permissions, delete kext cache, reboot, reapply 10.5.2 video patch, before reboot apply hd38xx "white menu fix" (ATIRadeonX200GLDriver.bundle) using "kext helper b7", reboot single user, copy new natit, repair it permission (chmod & chown), reboot and .. blacj screen.

Any idea?? :D

Regards

my 3850 didn't work. :censored2:

what i've done:

- remove any custom kext, reinstall standard os 10.5.2 kext. repair permissions, delete kext cache, reboot, reapply 10.5.2 video patch, before reboot apply hd38xx "white menu fix" (ATIRadeonX200GLDriver.bundle) using "kext helper b7", reboot single user, copy new natit, repair it permission (chmod & chown), reboot and .. blacj screen.

Any idea?? :blink:

Regards

You could be failing somewhere else. Boot using "-v" for verbose mode to see where it is failing. Do you use dsmos.kext?

Attach your system.log - it's in /var/log/system.log (don't paste it - it'll be huge)

do a "ls -tl" of your /System/Library/Extensions directory and make sure that all permissions are root:wheel (when you chown'd you did a chown -R root:wheel * on that directory, right?)

Try NOT using the white menu fix for now - replace with the stock 10.5.2 bundle.

Try using the other DVI port, try using the Analog VGA adaptor. Hmm... what 10.5 are you using? ToH, Brazil, or Kali? I'm using Kali.

-Dan

Are the powerplay heat issues with the HD3870s solved?

I really want to use Leopard again, without my card burning down...

3870 uses now with the new natit vanilla framebuffers so powerplay should be on

Tested temperatures on HD3850 with new natit.

Applied a external digital thermometer on the copper dissipator

(Sapphire hd3850 has an active cooler fan)

52º-55º (125 - 131 ºF) on idle (1280x1024, truecolor on DVI)

Stressed GPU with openMark and cinebench openGl tests:

Raised quite fast to 69º-70º (156 - 158 ºF) and then stabilized

after 15 minutes of testing I was getting 68º, stable.

But...testing method could have a +/- 10º of tolerance and thermometer isn´t calibrated.

Quite hot, but the interesting point was discovering that temperature stabilized.

Will do some more testing after work.

-edited-

º fahrenheit added

It's definately working on my 3850 - I'm very VERY happy right now. I got my Accelero S1 last night, and dropped about 25oF in idle (110 -> 86!), and 60oF on load! (165 -> 106). I've found that the opening screen for World of Warcraft actually puts the most load on the GPU (more than gameplay even), and it's stable, so I'm convinced.

My machine has only 4 low-speed 12cm fans in it (psu, CPU, Exhaust, and gpu/hd) - very quiet, but not much airflow at all.

If you can get an Accelero to fit in your case (or even find one!), get one!

-Dan

how can i get this new natit vanilla framebuffers??

If you have not replaced anything, then you already have them.

Natit is a traffic cop - it looks at your video card, and directs it to the right driver. Natit itself doesn't do anything more than that from the user's point of view (someone correct me if I'm wrong!)

So, what he really meant was, "If you install Natit.kext, it will use the vanilla framebuffers that are in the drivers (Lamna, etc..)"

-Dan

i suggest to do: (i did this on iATKOS 10.5.1)

1. install kalaway 10.5.2 combo update (do not reboot)

2. install kalaway kernel update

3. REBOOT

4. try to start. if it fails, start with your leopard DVD and repair permissions on your Leopard harddisk with disk utility

5. start again (it should work now) and install the grafics update for 10.5.2 (don't reboot)

6. install newest natit kext with kexthelper and reboot

7. if it fails to boot, do the permission-rapair-thing again :D

... this worked perfect for my radeon 3870

i install only the netkas.kext with kext helper.. i have to do enything else?

I did this as well, and it is not working. What else do I have to do other than use kext helper? I'm using 10.5.2.

Well, made some more temperature tests and got some more insight.

1. HD3850/70 are hot cards. Not as hot as 1950 but getting close.

My sapphire 3850, 256 MB, at standard speed is working @ 43º in IDLE and reached 90º with full GPU load.

2. The stock heat dissipators and fan aren't efficient enough to keep the card cool. If a peak of 90º is tolerated

during short periods of time, a stable 90º ill fry your card (the GPU core is made to reach 120º before melting, but stable

90º will shorten the life of the PCB, capacitors and other fragile components)

3. The new NATIT works very well but AFAIK no graphic processor speed regulation is done: the card is working in osx86 @ full speed

(correct me if I'm wrong) so high temperatures are to be expected. ATI provides an automatic throttle in win to keep temps away from critical peaks, but this is not enabled in mac os x.

The solution is a better cooler. Stock coolers aren't very good and a SW workaround for the 100% GPU speed is probably not behind the door.

It's definately working on my 3850 - I'm very VERY happy right now. I got my Accelero S1 last night, and dropped about 25oF in idle (110 -> 86!), and 60oF on load! (165 -> 106).

As plympton suggests the best cooler for the HD 3850 seems to be the Accelero S1 from Arctic Cooling.

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=541277

or

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=543964

Works well in passive mode (without fan) and can be coupled to a cheap 12cm fan. (I'm trying to find one but in this country things "seems" to be easy).

The onluy problem is the size (as usual). The s1+fan takes 2 pci slots in height and is larger than the card.

When I get it to work, I will tell you some story more.

3. The new NATIT works very well but AFAIK no graphic processor speed regulation is done: the card is working in osx86 @ full speed

(correct me if I'm wrong) so high temperatures are to be expected. ATI provides an automatic throttle in win to keep temps away from critical peaks, but this is not enabled in mac os x.

Umm so who's right?

mmmm.....

My observation relies stricktly on the temperatures I've measured on the card.

Advice from some software-aware user would be very helpful now...

edit-

found a link to the discussion

http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,159.0.html

It seems that extra cooling is necessary.

Not sure where you got that idea, but it's working great for me, powerplay and all. There is DEFINATELY some power scaling going on - at the desktop it's 1 temp, and loading a 3-D app like WoW, and the temp goes way up. Same with power consumption using a Kill-a-Watt

From that thread:

"It's actually cool to the touch at idle now, which it wasn't before. I don't feel like I *NEED* the Accelero, but it's ordered, so what the heck."

This is 10.5.2, newest Natit and White Menu fixes, and Apple's Graphics Update (necessary).

-Dan

Ok so, with graphics update and Natit, I'm getting the blue screen with cursor of death. So I reinstalled, installed the latest 9.2 fixed shutdown kernel, mac.nubs AppleSMBIOS.kext, and an older driver from IRC (had to add my dev id in). Everything was working fine, today I boot and I have the cursor of death with normal and -x boots. How are you guys getting around this?

i read thet also in windows the temperature is higth, it could be a bios of the VGA (3870) problem.

ther are some bios (original and modded) thet monitoring the GPU temperature and increase the fan speed when the temperature is too higth.

in bios 073 the fun is slower but the temperature culd arrive at 85°C

in bios 071 the fun is faster and the temperature culd arrive at 60°C but have more noise