Radeon 3850/3870 thread

netkas

212 posts in this topic

Guest Snowski

Does that mean it doesnt work for Tiger too?

Cause I see you guys talking about compability with Leopard all the time. Hey Tiger isn't dead yet! :D

Hi netkas,

I have Leopard installed with EFI (I had it working with a 8800GTS), I have now moved to 2x 3870 in crossfire (crossfire would be disabled I am guessing in Leopard)

so I can do some testing for you if you like, (I am a Unix admin if that helps).

Cheers,

Scaven

Guest Snowski

Guys, can you just tell me if the card will boot osx86. I know CI/QE will be disabled but that doesnt mean we can still use the OS fgor audio or office no?

I would like to know how not having CI/QE affects the OS. My local store said the cards will be in tomorow but I have to be quick with my order so I have to be quick.

Thc in advance

It might seem obvious, but if there's no framebuffer driver, there's no framebuffer driver and nothing we can do. The X2000 drivers need a framebuffer to provide acceleration at all, so I'm afraid it looks like RV670 is a no-go at this stage, and will remain so unless Apple updates the framebuffer drivers in OS X and includes a new ATY,Franklin or other FB kext which will work with RV670.

It's really only by luck that we have the ATY,Franklin kext from 9a527 to make the 2900XT work.

By the way, anybody want a slightly used 2900 XT? :unsure::P

Guest Snowski

Allright bro, thx for the heads up. I'll scratch the card from my list then.

The 2900XT sounds very tempting but I'll still pass (bit high on power consumption etc..)

It seems though that the 2900XT and 8800GTX are the best you can get for OSX86 atm. I'm sure your card will be sold quickly for a good price.

The 3800's will work in about 2 months you just gotta wait osx86 exist on persistants in the first place.

P.S. HEARD RUMORS AT THE APPLE STORE the new mac pro is going to have a 3870 in it BUT WHO KNOWS

The new macbook pro goes with 8800GT Mobile....

So I think that 8800GT much real in next generation of Macs.

Maybe Mac buyer will get an option between Nvidia & AMD (ATI) Solution.

But q is how long we must wait for this drivers?

Now I'm going to buy a new videocard, but don't know which card ?

Maybe 8800GTS 320Mb will be much better for OSX86... to get it work.

But for this money I can buy 8800GT wich is more powerfull that GTS version...

or HD38x0 series?

Anyone have ideas on this way ?

I'll buy the 3850, and hope that it will be working one day with osx. I think the 3850 is one of the best/cheapest graphic cards atm. I want QE/CI and at least 1280x1024 ._. However, I'm hoping the best and except the worst ? XDD (yeah, my english is wonderful, isn't it?)

• 2 weeks later...

Master Netkas..

Any progres in the working framebuffer ?

Sorry.. my 3870 is waiting for Leopard.

Pdt:

The vesa driver ( 1024*768) work whit thes 3870?

and.. Netkas thanks for your help !!!!

Thanks

I am running a ATI 3850 on Leopard 10.5.1 x86. I only have 1024x768 as a choice for mode. I would be happy to be a tester.I have the following configuration:ABIT IP35 Pro (ICH9) MBIntel Core 2 Duo E6550ATI Radeon HD 38502 Gb DDR2 64001 - 500 Gb Maxtor SATA1 - 300 Gb Maxtor SATA1 - 120 Gb WD IDE1 - LG DVD SATA1 - LG DVD IDE1 - Acer 22" WD LCD DisplayRegards,TonyI am running a ATI 3850 on Leopard 10.5.1 x86. I only have 1024x768 as a choice for mode. I would be happy to be a tester.I have the following configuration:ABIT IP35 Pro (ICH9) MBIntel Core 2 Duo E6550ATI Radeon HD 38502 Gb DDR2 64001 - 500 Gb Maxtor SATA1 - 300 Gb Maxtor SATA1 - 120 Gb WD IDE1 - LG DVD SATA1 - LG DVD IDE1 - Acer 22" WD LCD DisplayRegards,Tony

I have a 3850 and I am getting white menus with no translucent menu bar...

Same here, although QE/CI and res change all seem to work fine now on my Visiontek 3850 (0×9505). When I click to make the blank menu disappear, text shows briefly but not long enough to be useful. I can remember what the options are in most of the programs I use, so its not really a big deal. Using Kalyway 10.5.1 with EFI on E2140, 2gb ram, 945g chipset.

At least we are miles closer than before...there was a suggestion to modify the Device ID in the bios of the HD3850. If anyone has any tools that are known to work this is rather easy. I tried it last night with RaBit...however it can't calculate the correct checksums, hence it work work.