Radeon 3850/3870 thread

netkas

212 posts in this topic

Just tried a 3870 today as my 3650 would not work. Got the blue screen with 10.5.2 and the graphics update. Got a white screen with just 10.5.2.. *sigh* Perhaps one of the Nvidia cards would be a better choice at this point?

Just tried a 3870 today as my 3650 would not work. Got the blue screen with 10.5.2 and the graphics update. Got a white screen with just 10.5.2.. *sigh* Perhaps one of the Nvidia cards would be a better choice at this point?

Try this

1. install kalaway 10.5.2 combo update (do not reboot)

2. install kalaway kernel update

3. Repair permission and reboot

4. Start (you have a crask)

5. start again (it should work now) and install the grafics update for 10.5.2 (don't reboot)

6. install newest natit kext with kexthelper

7. repair permission and reboot :censored2:

I've always rebooted after the graphics update, so I will try that. Would the different 9.2 kernels or the AppleSMIBIOS files play any part in whether this works?

EDIT: I just noticed that you only mentioned the Natit.kext. Does that mean the install package is no longer needed if you have the Graphics Update installed?

EDI2: Ok, so how do I install the Graphics Update without rebooting. You have to say you want to reboot before it will install it and everything gets closed before the installation.

EDI2: Ok, so how do I install the Graphics Update without rebooting. You have to say you want to reboot before it will install it and everything gets closed before the installation.

Use the standalone installer from Apple.com (link).

Let me know if you can get past the blue screen, because I still can't =(.

Use the standalone installer from Apple.com (link).

Let me know if you can get past the blue screen, because I still can't =(.

Thanks! I was wondering if that was the case since you cannot install without a reboot using Software Update. Trying to get an Nvidia 8600 GT working right now. Somebody else with a 3870 suggested the old Natit.kext file as that is the only thing that would work for them. Gonna try that after working on the 8600 some more.

Strange thing. I did the following:

Install 10.5.1, reboot.

Update to 10.5.2, install latest kernel of Netkas and a different AppleSMBIOS.kext, install old Trikas package, add dev id to ATIRadeonX2000.kext, reboot.

I get a blue screen, and no cursor.

I reboot into Safe Mode and I get all resolutions, etc but of course no QE/CI.

Ugh! So close, yet not there. Note this was not with the Graphics Update.

Ok, so I did the Graphics Update, reapplied the Triakis package and rebooted.Got the blue screen. Said f*** yet again. ;) Went and put laundry in the wash, came back 5-10min later and the screen was up with QE/CI supported!!!!

u HAVE to isntall graphics update.
So it ended up being. I must have reinstalled Leopard 50 or more times this week. Now I'm wondering if I can use the newer Natit.kext or if should even both since it is working. Your work is great!

{censored}, do u even able to read ?

u ned to isntall ONLY natit.kext

Yes I read. I don't understand your need to get nasty. Perhaps you should read my posts. You would then see that I have tried multiple ways and never got the screen up until now. I tried just the Natit.kext method and was not successful. I tried this latest method on the recommendation of somebody else who also could not get their 3870 up. I'm now doing a fresh install on another drive so I can retest the Natit.kext method and see if it was a waiting issue. So I once again thank you for your driver work, but you can keep your other comments to yourself.

Hi guys, I've been out of the community for a while, but it looks like my new gaming machine is pretty compatible. My only concern is that I'm running two 3870x2's. Do these methods for 3870's also work with 3870x2's? I'd love to be running Leopard on my main computer when I'm not gaming (VisualHUB doens't exactly 'scream' on my new 20" iMac).

Thanks

Any sleep problems with 3850/3870? If not, which brands are you guys using?

sleep working fine here with gigabyte 3870 512 ddr3.

couldn't make it work with the latest natit - freezes my machine when entering gui.

i doubt i did anything wrong - did things in this order:

partitioned disk as GPT (one partition), installed kalyway 10.5.1 + efi v8, repaired permissions, upgraded to 10.5.2 (netkas' method), added latest 9.2.0 kernel, rebooted, installed graphics update, and added natit before rebooting, but no go.

so i used triakis pkg and got qe/ci.

oh, almost forgot - sleep works fine only in s1 mode for me. s3 (suspend to ram) not working.

edit:

@netkas: i saw your post in hd2600 thread where you said not to use triakis anymore and that it is for 3870x2 cards only. is there a reason why not to use it? what can i do to make my 3870 work with latest natit? What are the benefits of natit vs triakis?

I am also having some problems with my 3850 but after talking to some guys in irc they explained to me why not to use triakis. I quote "It cooks eggs". Apparently the cards run at 100% when there is no load. Unfortunately for both of us it was the only way to get my 3850 recognized. Anyways, hopefully that answers your question.

I have a PowerColor HD3850

I installed kaly 10.5.1, then updated to 10.5.2.

I then tried the kernel update (but it I got a kernel panic, so I switched back to the original)

Next i installed the graphics update, then natit and white menu update (in safe mode (-x))

Now when it boots i get some weird artifacts while the GUI is loading, it sits there for ages but it eventually loads up and I can run my monitor at 1680x1050 with QE etc.

Is that normal, and also is it safe to run it like this, I heard it cooks your GPU even when idle.

Eddy11c did a great job by putting a couple of drivers online, this is the first one which works perfectly for me. The link's to the drivers can be found on this topic

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry671880

It's just a simple "setup, next, next and reboot" install and it works perfect with my dual head setup (1280x1024+1920x1200)

EnJoY!