Asus P5W DH Deluxe thread for 10.5.x Leo - 10.9.x Mavericks

G5rocks

1,494 posts in this topic

Another issue: I realized only today (since I tried it today for the first time) that the network sharing is not working.

Whenever I try to access some other computer via smb, afs or anything else the finder crashes.

I guess I still need to replace some kext.... umffff....

Solutions are always appreciated!

shoarthing, which kexts did you copy from tiger to make digital output shows up?

Reptar, so you enabled AHCI in the bios?

Does anyone have working natit dual mon for Nvidia 6600 GT? The one that BrazilMAC included is acting weird on my other monitor. Every first boot, it seems like the card was overclock and it causes my screen to blink. But after I turn off and turn the monitor on again, the problem disappears.

shoarthing, which kexts did you copy from tiger to make digital output shows up?

Reptar, so you enabled AHCI in the bios?

Does anyone have working natit dual mon for Nvidia 6600 GT? The one that BrazilMAC included is acting weird on my other monitor. Every first boot, it seems like the card was overclock and it causes my screen to blink. But after I turn off and turn the monitor on again, the problem disappears.

. . AppleHDA.kext from 10.4.10 [having run the 883 04b mpkg in Tiger].

Hi All,

I just ran into a problem and was wondering if others are experimenting it:

I have a DVD Drive plugged into the IDE port. There are certain times where if a dvd is in the drive and you try to eject it, it wont do it. From that point on, the hard disk LED wont stop blinking, you will have to manually restart and if you check your system.log, you will see a "IOATAController Device blocking bus". This message will be there to no end, and the hard disk activity wont stop until you restart. See a shot of the log below.

Please note that Leopard works fine, you can browse, open apps no problem,but sometimes apps will freeze if you try for example, to use to browse to a folder on the HD from the application. It is just annoying the hell out of me

post-105159-1194286623_thumb.png

post-105159-1194286623_thumb.png

brazil, by eject you mean ejecting through osx or through the button on the drive?

IIRC ejecting through osx is the only way. I'm at work but i'll try it when i got home.

I just remembered, I didn't remove the kext cache after installing HDA. Gonna try it later.

SquidCombo,

Yes I am using AHCI. I also tried IDE Standard and Enhanced, but no effect on my shutdown problem. As long as AppleHDA is loaded for audio, I cannot shutdown. If I use AppleAzaila, I have no issues with shutdown.

________

BTW, any other P5W DH owners having the same problem with AppleHDA or is it just me. The reason I ask is that if it is just me, then something else is wrong with my config and I need to keep looking beyond the obvious.

BrasilMac

If you are using AHCI, you might want to check that ALPE is not enabled in the bios. That was an issue I had with stalls and freezes. Turning it off, made all the difference for me.

my Bios is 1901. AHCI gives somewhat better performance on benchmarks. In the real world I'm not sure. I'd be willing to turn it off and use IDE if it fixed my shutdown problems, but in my trials it didn't.

What are enhanced settings Pata or Sata or Pata+sata?

I've tried the natit version that worked on my tiger and I still having that monitor blinking problem. I think the reason for the blinking is the running hertz that natit/my graphic card outputted. It's possibly higher and it causes my monitor to blink. Does anyone know any settings for the boot?

I only use Enhanced Settings for SATA only and my bios is the same as yours. I switched to AHCI now and it's running just fine. Reptar, can you post me your audio kexts?

SquidCombo,

I was able to "fix" my shutdown problem when using AppleHDA. seems the wi-fi card was preventing shutdown. I think this card is seen as USB. at any rate if I deactivate the wi-fi card in Network Pref Pane, and have AppleHDA load,I get shutdown with no problem now. wi-fi was not really used anyway since I'm on GigaE wired lan.

Are you using wi-fi? do I need to keep digging to find the root cause?

I have ALPE disabled, and I still get the problem when ejecting the DVD from within OSX.

To reproduce the problem:

I do a couple of ejects. then run Final Cut (or Logic, dreamweaver) and try to eject. Then it wont do, disk activity will start and the system logs is filled with the ATA device message and from now on, only a manual restart will do. System still works, but HD LED light will be light up indicating activity

. . see this splendid resource for new P5WDH/Leo audio & networking kexts.

Please leave the author a thankyou if they work for you.

(edit) . . these kexts much improve the sound-qualityon this P5WDH over my previous copied-over AppleHDA from 10.4.10; sadly Time Machine still doesn't work for me, & with the same 'the backup volume could not be found' error. Using ToH w/ default kernel.

SquidCombo

Thanks for the info. I'm pretty sure there is some sort of conflict between the Realtek 8187 wifi drivers and AppleHDA that was causing my shutdown issues. Anyway I'll just disable wifi.

As for iChat and Calculator, I have no issues running them. Both work fine for me.

I updated my AppleHDa.kext and IONetworkingFamily.kext using shoarthing's referenced link. all works, but I see neither an improvement in performance or a detriment. I'll let them run, but I'm not sure what problem they were intended to fix. I had no issue with Time Machine before or after installing these new kexts. BTW, Apple claims your Time Machine storage drive has to be formatted using GUID and won't work reliablly otherwise. This may be part of the reason people are seeing issues.

Hahahahaha, so stupid, I looked at console and turns out I was trying to run ichat and calculator app from my tiger partition. Stupid spotlight, the top hit was the files on tiger instead of leopard. Problem solved. I'll try the audio and Brazil's CD problem in a bit.

Edit: I tried McKill's audio kext and still only regular output shows up, no digital, no mic, etc. I guess it's the bios settings then. Did you guys front audio panel as AC97 or HD Audio?

Brazil, I don't seem to have that problem. My DVD Drive is on Secondary IDE and I can do eject without any errors.

. . see this splendid resource for new P5WDH/Leo audio & networking kexts.

Please leave the author a thankyou if they work for you.

(edit) . . these kexts much improve the sound-qualityon this P5WDH over my previous copied-over AppleHDA from 10.4.10; sadly Time Machine still doesn't work for me, & with the same 'the backup volume could not be found' error. Using ToH w/ default kernel.

hi, shoarthing,

taruga's HDA patcher 1.16 is really working fine on my system. works like it was in tiger (internal speakers, headphones, line out, digital out, internal mic & line in). i don't think it's the one causing time machine not to work. i think the default IONetworkingFamily.kext is the one that needs to be fixed. when i followed your link above (http://mckill.ca/), it just confirms my thoughts. i remember that prior to having successfully done a backup & restore by using time machine, i actually did install and run maya 2008. fyi, in order to get maya to run, you have to fix your existing IONetworkingFamily.kext, only when you are on a hackintosh. i think 'real mac' users don't have this problem. btw, i've fixed my IONetworkingFamily.kext by following this thread: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=25133. i did the manual install of the 'IONetwrkFmlyDRMFix' app file that can also be found on that forum, including the instruction.

yesterday, i re-installed Leo and time machine did work until i did that thing above... but this time without installing maya. :)

time machine actually works on any partition map schemes (mbr or guid), internal or external hard drives. i successfully tried it on an external firewire hard drive (WD mybook pro edition II) and on internal sata, 2nd partition.

i'm now dual-booting between leo & tiger on a single internal sata hard drive split into 2 partitions. installed tiger first on 2nd partition then leo on 1st partition. works perfectly as i expected!

i must say that i'm done with this one. i now have a fairly working hackintosh system! :)

Update:

time machine also backups the tiger volume along with the leo volume. does it mean we can use time machine to do a restore of a tiger volume? it's getting pretty exciting now!

Another issue: I realized only today (since I tried it today for the first time) that the network sharing is not working.

Whenever I try to access some other computer via smb, afs or anything else the finder crashes.

I guess I still need to replace some kext.... umffff....

Solutions are always appreciated!

giandal,

did you mean finder quits, when you try to access other computer (like windows system) through smb?

well, i've been using smb to connect to a shared windows folders over the LAN and works without a problem. one thing i noticed, though...Leo no longer creating an alias or shortcut on my desktop for the shared resources on other system, not like it was in tiger. you can find it now on the left side of the finder window just under your volumes, instead.

did you happen to check this?

giandal,

did you mean finder quits, when you try to access other computer (like windows system) through smb?

well, i've been using smb to connect to a shared windows folders over the LAN and works without a problem. one thing i noticed, though...Leo no longer creating an alias or shortcut on my desktop for the shared resources on other system, not like it was in tiger. you can find it now on the left side of the finder window just under your volumes, instead.

did you happen to check this?

I really meant that the spinning beach ball appears and I have to force quit it.

Nothing under the volumes appeared...

I really meant that the spinning beach ball appears and I have to force quit it.

Nothing under the volumes appeared...

it also happened to me even in tiger until i manually entered a dedicated IP address

for each other computers on my network that i want to connect with.

it works for me this way and it seems that leo sees those computers even without having to try to smb them.

The issue with the DVD drive eject and ATA blcking device message has been solved. It seems odd, but replacing AppleHDA solved the problem. My system was actually using AppleAzalia.kext Removing that and replacing the AppleHDA solved the issue.

Really odd...

Hi to all, and thanks for this wonderful and interesting thread!

I have installed ToH RC2 Leo release without problems and fixed sound with Taruga's ALC882 kext. Everything is working fine including Time machine with the exception of RTL8187 WiFi. I have installed the drivers from Realtek and I am able to detect several routers (including mine-USR9108). However, I have not been able to connect to the router even after trying the different security options (or without security). Can anyone explain me how to make it work (I have tried also the IONetworkingFamily.kext from "mckill.ca").

I have a minor additional problem. I have an Ellipse 1500 UPS connected via USB to the computer; it is recognized by Leopard but there is no "reading" of the percentage of battery charge. I am quite sure that after a fresh install of Leo it was working, but it is not working any longer. Any ideas (it works flawlessly in Windows Vista, so it is not a hardware malfunction).

Thanks a lot in advance.

Sietepicos