• Please log in to reply
1484 replies to this topic

shoarthing

shoarthing

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 842 posts
. . hmm: sound is trivial if you have an existing Tiger install, within which you could run "ALC882 AppleHDA v0.4b.mpkg" [which doesn't work in Leo] - you obv just copy over your working AppleHDA.kext & repair perms & so on.

Shows (as it did before) Line in, Mic in; Line out, Headphones, Digital out

Only thing not working in this ToH install (sniff/sob/wail) is dratted Time Machine: I am using a 1TB external, via eSATA or, if I must, USB.

koaxial

koaxial

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
OMG! time machine seems to be working! i tested it by deleting an old & unused folder (over 2gb in size) on my desktop then when i launched time machine to restore the deleted folder, my desktop changes into a warping space. on the center of it are 7 desktop finder windows overlapping each other. on the first finder window one on top, i noticed the old & unused folder i deleted earlier is gone. but when i click the last finder window behind it to see what it contains, the deleted folder is still there. right there i could almost figured out what to do next. well, i simply click or select the deleted folder and hit the huge restore button below. amazing! it feels like it really warping through time with the effects and all! awesome! you should try this yourselves. after the restore is finished i can now see the deleted folder sitting on my desktop again. wow! :yoji:

yes. i'm using BrazilMac's patched DVD installed on top of fresh install of JAS 10.4.8 SS2 SS3 intel amd. ;)

shoarthing

shoarthing

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 842 posts

OMG! time machine seems to be working! i tested it by deleting an old & unused folder (over 2gb in size) on my desktop then when i launched time machine to restore the deleted folder, my desktop changes into a warping space. on the center of it are 7 desktop finder windows overlapping each other. on the first finder window one on top, i noticed the old & unused folder i deleted earlier is gone. but when i click the last finder window behind it to see what it contains, the deleted folder is still there. right there i could almost figured out what to do next. well, i simply click or select the deleted folder and hit the huge restore button below. amazing! it feels like it really warping through time with the effects and all! awesome! you should try this yourselves. after the restore is finished i can now see the deleted folder sitting on my desktop again. wow! :yoji:

yes. i'm using BrazilMac's patched DVD installed on top of fresh install of JAS 10.4.8 SS2 SS3 intel amd. ;)

. . nice to hear it works for you :D

candykane

candykane

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 540 posts
just use the targua 1.16 patcher and de linux codec it works like a charm in leopard. im thinking of going back to tiger do to many programs are not working stable on my dell 6400. Hope i have no problems under tiger.

giandal

giandal

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

just use the targua 1.16 patcher and de linux codec it works like a charm in leopard. im thinking of going back to tiger do to many programs are not working stable on my dell 6400. Hope i have no problems under tiger.

Tried it... nothing. Actually, as I expected, it breaks time machine. Back to ToH's patches and I'll wait for a new patcher from taruga.

shoarthing

shoarthing

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Tried it... nothing. Actually, as I expected, it breaks time machine. Back to ToH's patches and I'll wait for a new patcher from taruga.

(my emphasis) . . .? Trying the Taruga patcher was the sole change you made prior to losing Time Machine function?

. . & did you have Time Machine working to a partition on your Leo HDD, or to another HDD?

giandal

giandal

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

(my emphasis) . . .? Trying the Taruga patcher was the sole change you made prior to losing Time Machine function?

. . & did you have Time Machine working to a partition on your Leo HDD, or to another HDD?

Time machine is on a different HDD. I had made some other changes, though.
I went back to the version I had before various mods. Applied Taruga's patcher again and finally now I have both sound working and time machine.
So I don't really know what crashed time machine, but I don't want to go back and try to reproduce it.

Now the only things that are not at their proper place are the time machine icon on the HDD (for some reason it disappeared, but as I said backups are there) and the mic in, which is working only from the back port in my mobo and not from the front one too.
But I guess I can live with this!

shoarthing

shoarthing

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 842 posts
giandal - Hi - thanks for the info: I cannot seem to find anyone using ToH RC2 who has working Time Machine to a secondary/external HDD, tho' oddly ToH kexts are required to make TM work in Brazilmac installs . . v odd.

Reptar

Reptar

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
I've spent the past week playing with and upgrading my P5W-DH. Today I had success in getting all of my hardware working (almost). My biggest problem was I could not shutdown. Restart was fine, but no shutdown.

My upgrade process used BrasilMac patches( Oct 31 release). Thank you BrasilMac. Just TERRIFIC!.

Before installing 10.5 I formated using Jas 10.4.8 ppf1 naming the volume "Leopard", installed 10.4.8 , rebooted to 10.4.8 and created a dummy 10.4.8 account named "setup".

Next I installed 10.5 over top of 10.4.8 on the volume "Leopard", then I ran the BrasilMac post patch. I have 2 HDD, so I was able to run this from 10.4.10 on my other HDD. Per BrasilMac's instructions, I had to edit the first couple of lines in the script to set the right paths.

I then booted into 10.5 and my account "setup" was there. I created a root account using terminal sudo passwd root.

I moved my ALCinject.kext and AppleHDA.kext from 10.4.10 to 10.5. Chown and chmod for these kext. Repaired permissions and all was well. I have a 7600GT and using BrasilMac Oct 31, the Natit installed with postpatch gave me QE/CI. All was well.

I then used migration assistant and moved all my users, files & folders, etc to Leopard. after completion this is where i now had the problem of no shutdown. Before the migration everything was fine as far as shutdown. Obviously, a library file from 10.4.10 was migrated and was not compatible.

I couldn't track down the specific issue, but after several complete reinstalls, I decided to just rerun the BrasilMac postpatch after the migration. Miracle! It fixed the shutdown problem. Now everything was working:) But I was getting a lot of disk activity and stalls (spinning beach ball).

I use AHCI with my SATA drives, and had ALE, or whatever its called, in the bios enabled as part of AHCI. Turning this off in the bios fixed the stalls and no more spinning beachballs.

I have Vista installed on another partition and I can access it from the bootloader, so basically everything is working as well as it was in 10.4.10, which was rock solid for me, at least so far. Only exception is wireless, which seems to drop the connection within about 5 secs. Not a biggie for me as I have Gigabit hard wired lan which I use, but for those of you dependent on Wi-Fi, this could be a show stopper. I've seen others are having similar problems with this WiFi chip and Leo.

Just as an observation 10.5 is blazing fast. I haven't run any benchmarks yet, but things just fly open ( docs, folders, and apps). This is a very impressive upgrade.

EDIT: Well I found the root cause of my inability to shutdown. It's Taruga AppleHDA. I was using Taruga 0.4b from my 10.4.10 install. If AppleAzailia is used instead, I have no problem with shutdown. This is why rerunning BrasilMac post patch fixed the shutdown problem as it reinstalls AppleAzailia.( No miracle afterall) I also tried using Taruga .2 and 1.16. No dice. So for now I have to live AppleAzailia which only gives audio output and no input. I have an iMic which still works with 10.5 so I can use it for input. If anyone has any ideas, I all ears.

olivier-h

olivier-h

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
For me it works all fine, just no ide dvd after install, someone an idea how to fix that ??

shoarthing

shoarthing

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 842 posts

For me it works all fine, just no ide dvd after install, someone an idea how to fix that ??

. . attached to which IDE port?

giandal

giandal

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Another issue: I realized only today (since I tried it today for the first time) that the network sharing is not working.
Whenever I try to access some other computer via smb, afs or anything else the finder crashes.

I guess I still need to replace some kext.... umffff....

Solutions are always appreciated!

SquidCombo

SquidCombo

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
shoarthing, which kexts did you copy from tiger to make digital output shows up?

Reptar, so you enabled AHCI in the bios?

Does anyone have working natit dual mon for Nvidia 6600 GT? The one that BrazilMAC included is acting weird on my other monitor. Every first boot, it seems like the card was overclock and it causes my screen to blink. But after I turn off and turn the monitor on again, the problem disappears.

shoarthing

shoarthing

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 842 posts

shoarthing, which kexts did you copy from tiger to make digital output shows up?

Reptar, so you enabled AHCI in the bios?

Does anyone have working natit dual mon for Nvidia 6600 GT? The one that BrazilMAC included is acting weird on my other monitor. Every first boot, it seems like the card was overclock and it causes my screen to blink. But after I turn off and turn the monitor on again, the problem disappears.

. . AppleHDA.kext from 10.4.10 [having run the 883 04b mpkg in Tiger].

SquidCombo

SquidCombo

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
Hmm, that's weird, I just copied the AppleHDA.kext from tiger but it doesn't work. (I ran the 04b mpkg a while ago on my Tiger). Is there any other files I need to delete or copied?

Or is it possible to run the mpkg on tiger and point to Leopard for install?

BrazilMAC

BrazilMAC

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
Hi All,

I just ran into a problem and was wondering if others are experimenting it:

I have a DVD Drive plugged into the IDE port. There are certain times where if a dvd is in the drive and you try to eject it, it wont do it. From that point on, the hard disk LED wont stop blinking, you will have to manually restart and if you check your system.log, you will see a "IOATAController Device blocking bus". This message will be there to no end, and the hard disk activity wont stop until you restart. See a shot of the log below.

Please note that Leopard works fine, you can browse, open apps no problem,but sometimes apps will freeze if you try for example, to use to browse to a folder on the HD from the application. It is just annoying the hell out of me

Attached Files

SquidCombo

SquidCombo

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
brazil, by eject you mean ejecting through osx or through the button on the drive?

IIRC ejecting through osx is the only way. I'm at work but i'll try it when i got home.

I just remembered, I didn't remove the kext cache after installing HDA. Gonna try it later.

Reptar

Reptar

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
SquidCombo,

Yes I am using AHCI. I also tried IDE Standard and Enhanced, but no effect on my shutdown problem. As long as AppleHDA is loaded for audio, I cannot shutdown. If I use AppleAzaila, I have no issues with shutdown.
________

BTW, any other P5W DH owners having the same problem with AppleHDA or is it just me. The reason I ask is that if it is just me, then something else is wrong with my config and I need to keep looking beyond the obvious.

If you are using AHCI, you might want to check that ALPE is not enabled in the bios. That was an issue I had with stalls and freezes. Turning it off, made all the difference for me.

SquidCombo

SquidCombo

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
Hmm, I have AppleHDA and I'm using IDE enhanced and I don't have shutdown problem. What's your bios version? Would AHCI gives significant performance improvement?

Reptar

Reptar

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
my Bios is 1901. AHCI gives somewhat better performance on benchmarks. In the real world I'm not sure. I'd be willing to turn it off and use IDE if it fixed my shutdown problems, but in my trials it didn't.

What are enhanced settings Pata or Sata or Pata+sata?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy