New Intel Macs: iMac, MacBook Pro

Swad

149 posts in this topic

I see serious undercuts in the MacBook Pro:

- No PCcard, just something called expresscard

- No firewire 800, just 400

- Just 2 USB 2.0? WTF?

- No double layer, only 4x superdrive? WTF??

- Way too expensive.

My current Asus A6Va has almost the same specs as the top of line Macbook, except for the Centrino duo: Intel Dothan 1.83, 100GB HD, 1GB DDR2, ATI x700, 4 usbs, 15.4'' display, gigabit ethernet and even the very same webcam built in.

And guess what? 1400$. Better get osx86 going here...

I wonder how long it wil take untill we see anti-tpm-patched versions of 10.4.4 in the wild...

Anyway, MacIntel looks bloody great. Webstore seems to be overloading here in Belgium :sorcerer: I'm still hoping Autodesk will produce their Autocad and 3Ds max for OS X. I'm an industrial designer and those application are the only thing that's keeping me stuck to windows... But now with X86... I see hope :D

Soon enough...

BTW, we opened up "The Marketplace" recently on this forum for you to buy and sell hardware, software, services, etc.

So just in case any of you are already determining how many times you'll need to give plasma to pay for a new "MacBook"... The Marketplace was set up for you to sell your old Mac stuff :sorcerer: to the other 17,500 members on this forum!

service announcement>

I see serious undercuts in the MacBook Pro:

- No PCcard, just something called expresscard

- No firewire 800, just 400

- Just 2 USB 2.0? WTF?

- No double layer, only 4x superdrive? WTF??

- Way too expensive.

My current Asus A6Va has almost the same specs as the top of line Macbook, except for the Centrino duo: Intel Dothan 1.83, 100GB HD, 1GB DDR2, ATI x700, 4 usbs, 15.4'' display, gigabit ethernet and even the very same webcam built in.

And guess what? 1400$. Better get osx86 going here...

ExpressCard is the next generation PC Card.

according to Wikipedia

"which is claimed to be faster and less complex than CardBus. The name “Newcard” was at one stage potentially to be used for this. The host device supports both PCI Express and USB 2.0 connectivity through the ExpressCard slot, and each card uses whichever the designer feels most appropriate to the task. The cards are hot-pluggable."

FireWire 800...Apple is slowly moving toward USB instead of FireWire. Most evident in how they got rid of FireWire connectivity in the iPod.

2 USB 2.0...that is a bit disappointing....but with many things moving toward wireless (BlueTooth and Airport Express), it's understandable to a certain extent.

SuperDrive...once again, disappointing. Maybe will get an upgrade eventually as more models come out

expensive...it's a Mac, what do you expect?

your system isn't exactly identical to the Macbook's specs. Core Duo processors are 25% faster than Pentium M's, and you have ATI x700, which is lower than what Apple's offering. With Apple's premium pricing added on, it's really not that surprising how expensive it is.

as far as the one mouse button...just get an external mouse if it bothers you.

Edited by INFNITE

With Apple's premium pricing added on, it's really not that surprising how expensive it is.

Them of course, Apple screws us with their one year warranty.

EDIT: Err.. maybe not so much on laptops, it is looking like the industry standard is one year (displays are usually three years though). But even still, AppleCare looks to be much more expensive than what other manufacturer's charge for a full three year warranty.

Edited by bofors

PS CYMAN, I may be misunderstanding you but- supposedly the OSX will only run on hardware wih Intels TPM chip, hence selling OSX for just any old computer isnt a possibilty since it wont run (unless MAxxuss has some input).

I am aware of this fact, anyway I find surprising that Apple already makes this move, since from now on, everybody can get his copy of Mac OS X for Intel and when time has come, make it run on his standard, non Apple PC.

If you ask me, I say it's just a matter of time!

Please compare this to the new Lenovo T60 or the updated Asus z71a if you wan't to compare more similar machines. Although I've not seen pricing yet.

One button mouse annoys me some, but I'm used to them.

EDIT: To spec out the high-end T60 (which has a crappy video card, but is otherwise 'similar 'http://www-131.ibm.com/webapp/wcs/stores/s...goryId=2072541)), the price ends up like $500 less, but it has a horrible video card, is uglier, and has a slower and smaller HD.

Edited by cyrana

ExpressCard is the next generation PC Card.

according to Wikipedia

"which is claimed to be faster and less complex than CardBus. The name “Newcard” was at one stage potentially to be used for this. The host device supports both PCI Express and USB 2.0 connectivity through the ExpressCard slot, and each card uses whichever the designer feels most appropriate to the task. The cards are hot-pluggable."

FireWire 800...Apple is slowly moving toward USB instead of FireWire. Most evident in how they got rid of FireWire connectivity in the iPod.

2 USB 2.0...that is a bit disappointing....but with many things moving toward wireless (BlueTooth and Airport Express), it's understandable to a certain extent.

SuperDrive...once again, disappointing. Maybe will get an upgrade eventually as more models come out

expensive...it's a Mac, what do you expect?

your system isn't exactly identical to the Macbook's specs. Core Duo processors are 25% faster than Pentium M's, and you have ATI x700, which is lower than what Apple's offering. With Apple's premium pricing added on, it's really not that surprising how expensive it is.

as far as the one mouse button...just get an external mouse if it bothers you.

Paying a 1000$ premium for a duo is just insane. And yes, x1600 is better than x700 but not that far off. As for the xpresscard, it's just useless right now and should have been introduced when there are some actual xpresscard pccards available in the market. I think it's quite a bittersweet keynote as far as Apple hardware goes...

The high-end thinkpads are also over 2500 Euros...

For this price I can purchase an Alienware. I have few PC's, if I spend 2500 € for everyone I have nothing left to eat ;)

I hope that Apple will release soon some notebooks with a moderate price (about 1000-1200€) else I don't think that much M$ users will migrate to OSX86 (except the cracked version).

I know you can get an Alienware... Just stating that Apple is in the same group as stuff by IBM or Dell or HP, so that is the group that prices have to be compared to. No one can expect them to start pricing themselves like Acer (even if we'd want them to).

I've not clicked buy yet, so I'm not biased either. hehe

I see it as the Macbook is an intel version of the powerbook right? and the powerbook are a fair amount of $$ so just wait for an intel ibook. That will be around the same price. I dont think its a good idea to charge more for an intel imac than a ppc one though, i know its so people buy the ppc so they can get rid of stock etc... but well, i just think its silly.

i really wanted a intel ibook today. . . . ive got a g5 imac and love it, but cant use it on the train and ppc ibooks are to underpowered for what i need and powerbooks are to much ££££ ;)

Does anybody know if somebody has tried installing windows as a dual boot on the new dual-core imac? Some beta tester or whoever? That's my criterea for dishing out the cash for this pricey computer. If it runs windows too then I'll do it, otherwise I'll wait until a machine (or software combination) exists that can do both. There are some things I currently still need windows for (as a software developer) so i won't spend that cash until the machine can do both. After all, I'm running both at home right now... just as a sort of trial experience... on my pc...

I dont think its a good idea to charge more for an intel imac than a ppc one though, i know its so people buy the ppc so they can get rid of stock etc... but well, i just think its silly.

the intel imac is selling at the same price as the ppc. i find it absurd that somebody would buy the ppc version for the same price though...

Does anybody know if somebody has tried installing windows as a dual boot on the new dual-core imac? Some beta tester or whoever? That's my criterea for dishing out the cash for this pricey computer. If it runs windows too then I'll do it, otherwise I'll wait until a machine (or software combination) exists that can do both. There are some things I currently still need windows for (as a software developer) so i won't spend that cash until the machine can do both. After all, I'm running both at home right now... just as a sort of trial experience... on my pc...

well it will use standard pc parts , a standard x86 cpu a standard video card i don't see any reason why windows wouldn't run on it . It's a standard x86 laptop with an apple logo