[How to] Asus P5K-VM guide

delish

1,244 posts in this topic

There are ALREADY some DSDT files customized for Q6600 posted in the thread (that also has been tested).... please 'sir'.

Respected Sir BlackCH. Uhm, No make it Lord. Coz your expertise is leagues ahead of my inexperience in System development. Honestly.

I really am trying hard to NOT be like those who increase their post count for "rep". I've been a member since 2005. Never I've done that.

And stuff I'm doing now, I didn't have time nor the experience.

Now I'm getting requests from others, and am glad I'm in some way returning the favors I received from the likes of u, DB1, Bfarm, AnV, and several others.

No, I really mean it. Hence, I've replying to people from my PM now. As in since yesterday.

Sincerely.

Yet, I don't redirect people away from me to posts earlier in this thread which have files that are finely refined and tuned by U and DB1.

I don't know what to say, to make you believe me. :(

Regards,

Freaky Chokra :D:poster_oops::P

Hi Guys (& Girls?)

Just a quick note to thank everyone in this forum. I had been putting off the jump from a pretty heavily modified (but Stable) 10.5.6 install to sweet 10.6 vanilla goodness.

The boot CD with the included installer was the absolute godsend - everything went exactly as described - I got the info needed from windows & patched my DSDT file (except the speedstep stuff - that made my brain hurt so I just copied the required settings from one of the customised 6600 DSDT files floating around in the thread ). Updated to 10.6.3 & run the sound fix script

My hacky has been up & running for 96hrs straight now - Surfing the net, downloading torrents Ripping & Converting blu-ray disks - Has not skipped a single beat :-)

My only issue is that I connect my 8600GT to an Acer X263w 26" Wide LCD screen that only has VGA & HDMI inputs - If I use my DVI-HDMI cable to connect it I can not get a picture (It used to work in 10.5.6 - but with customised KEXTS installed) I have tested it the a 19" DVI monitor & It Works fine. I have fiddled around & have got it working through VGA But If I change resolutions I lose the picture & I have to plug in a DVI/VGA Adapter to the DVI output & then Unplug it & I Get my picture back - A small price to pay I think.

A quick question, I am using the version of Chameleon that came on the boot CD with Graphics enabler=yes. How can I tell what version of Chameleon I am using & Do you think there are any advantages to keeping it updated to the latest one?

Again - Thanks a million times over to everyone in the thread for all the posted information.

Happy Hackintoshing

Matt

A quick question, I am using the version of Chameleon that came on the boot CD with Graphics enabler=yes. How can I tell what version of Chameleon I am using & Do you think there are any advantages to keeping it updated to the latest one?

You could try the lastest pre-release by rekursor but I doubt it will fix the problem:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1417242

(replacing the /boot file should be enough)

Theres a couple more things to try:

-One, you can try to override the default chameleon NVCap value (set Graphics enabler=yes)

add:

<key>NVCAP_XXXX</key>
<string>0400000000000b00040000000000000700000000</string>

to your boot.plist (XXXX should be the dev id of your graphic card). You need to update Chameleon to get this feature enable. This specific value I posted is known to work in the 9500GT (VGA-DVI-HDMI) originally posted here. More info about NVCAP values:

http://nvinject.free.fr/forums/viewtopic.php?t=214

-Two, Install NVEnabler.kext (you need to set Graphics enabler=no)

http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=370

There are ALREADY some DSDT files customized for Q6600 posted in the thread (that also has been tested).

This two for example:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1394989

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1426014

Hey Black, from my previous post (1033) I had stated that I was using an unaltered version acquired from this link here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...2111&st=873

I have since tried the most recent link you've provided (post 981), and temps still are at 53 degrees. Unsure what I'm doing incorrectly. Please advise when the opportunity presents itself.

Kind regards.

Hey Black, from my previous post (1033) I had stated that I was using an unaltered version acquired from this link here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...2111&st=873

I have since tried the most recent link you've provided (post 981), and temps still are at 53 degrees. Unsure what I'm doing incorrectly. Please advise when the opportunity presents itself.

Kind regards.

Check you are using the right TJMAX value in the fakefmc.kext plist (inside Extra/Extensions folder).

For 65nm desktop processors should be 90

<key>tjmax</key>
<integer>90</integer>

Run kext utility once you modify the kext and reboot

Just a few comments from my side:

• I had posted a variety of Q6600 DSDT's going up to version 3.4, and all of them work. They were all Q6600 adaptations of DB1's and BlackCH's work. I am presently on version 3.3 and have been for months.
  • Speed stepping works, and works without flaw.
  • Temperatures of 58°C (idling) to 77°C (full load) are NORMAL. Version 3.4 DSDT had slightly higher idling temperatures, but makes little difference in the end.
  • Shutdown, sleep, wake all work, and without flaw, for many months now, as BlackCH indicated in his message.
  • Wake from USB works, and without flaw. BlueTooth wake has not worked for many, myself included.
  • Vanilla 10.6.3 (with the exception of one single audio kext, modified as documented by BlackCH) works flawlessly with kexts provided in this forum.

Folks, please stop creating unnecessary traffic on this site for problems addressed way back, with solutions clearly spelled out. First read carefully, and implement. If there are specific issues that were not covered before, we as a community will try to help and resolve.

FreakyChopra, please stop flooding the site with erroneous information.

@ BlackCH - Thankyou - I will look into the NVCap Settings & See how I go. I thought that putting in NVEnabler might fix the problem but I was hoping to keep it as vanilla as Poss. I have been happily using it now at the desired resolution for nearly a week with the VGA - so I should maybe not play with it unless I kill it :-).

Is anyone else using a 2TB Drive on these motherboards? I have just installed a WDC WD2002FYPS in my system (special new drive for new 10.6.3). From a cold boot the motherboard does not detect the drive - It comes up with "please insert boot media" ETC message - then I Ctrl-alt-del & it boots in fine.

Hi Bikinifarm.

Erroneous? Did you mean this thread or this post, when you said -> "please stop flooding the site"?

I won't accept about posting erroneous information. I too am learning things as I go. ;)

However, :idea: I'd stop posting :D , If that is your wish. :)

Regards,

Freaky Chokra ;)

hey guys i have a problem. i had a bunch of kexts in my /extra/extensions. but i deleted ones i didnt think were necessary, and now my ide dvd drive doesnt work. any help? thanks

I hope I am not against to the rules of this forum, I will attach my extra extensions for this mainboard. I hope it helps. I have an IDE drive and it works here.

If the attachment is a violation, I ask the administrator to delete it.

Extensions.zip

I hope I am not against to the rules of this forum, I will attach my extra extensions for this mainboard. I hope it helps. I have an IDE drive and it works here.

If the attachment is a violation, I ask the administrator to delete it.

thanks so much man, it worked.

• 3 weeks later...

hi guys i have many problems with the bootable iso of snow leopard 10.6.0. following the guide step by step of blackch i obtein this screen:

mac002.jpg

anyone can help me? i downloaded the iso called "Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard (Final Retail) (ISO BOOTABLE)"

P.S: sorry for the english i'm italian

hi guys i have many problems with the bootable iso of snow leopard 10.6.0. following the guide step by step of blackch i obtein this screen:

anyone can help me? i downloaded the iso called "Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard (Final Retail) (ISO BOOTABLE)"

P.S: sorry for the english i'm italian

I would say is the graphic card. Try with the onboard card (no QE/CI) to see if you get the same result, also unplug any unnesessary devices/cards you might have connected/plugged

Respected BlackCH.

There's been a new development on the FakeSMC.kext revision 110.

It has support for our ASUS P5K-VM motherboard, supports iStat etc from reading temperature sensors, and Fan speeds, etc. etc.

Can you help us how to go about installing the Kext successfully so that Snow Leopard does not KP out?

I've tried installing it in /System/Library/Extensions/

Deleted the kextcache; rebuilt it. rebooted. But still a KP!

Can you just point us how you got it working, Please?

Regards,

Freaky Chokra :(

Freaky Chokra: Post edited, removed bogus content". Sorry. Was not the intention.

Edited by Freaky Chokra

Repaired the permissions. Rebuilt .mkext of my both /E/E and /S/L/E kexts.

Most of my system is vanilla except for VoodooPowerACPI (in /S/L/E), OSXRestart, Yukon2 injector, and NUllCPUPowermanagement.kext (in /E/E).

I dont understand why are you using those kexts (VoodooPowerACPI, NUllCPUPowermanagement.kext) when there is no need for them. Seems difficult for you to follow a standard (even if it guarantee a nearly 100% working system)...Why man, why? (its a retorical question, I dont want an answer). If you go your own way (which is fine, I dont really care) get your answers for yourself, I cannot be guessing whats wrong in your system. So long

...and please do not post bogus or unrelated information in the thread

For the record:

http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1206

Theres a development being made for reading temp/fan sensors on boards with certain S-I/O chips (winbond/ITE/Fintek) and generic ACPI registers (needs DSDT mod). For more details follow the link.

Its working on my setup (for now only reads CPU fan speed). Nothing special, install in S/L/E, use Kext Utility

post-51637-1275729683_thumb.png

I dont understand why are you using those kexts (VoodooPowerACPI, NUllCPUPowermanagement.kext) when there is no need for them. Seems difficult for you to follow a standard (even if it guarantee a nearly 100% working system)...Why man, why? (its a retorical question, I dont want an answer). If you go your own way (which is fine, I dont really care) get your answers for yourself, I cannot be guessing whats wrong in your system. So long

...and please do not post bogus or unrelated information in the thread

For the record:

http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1206

Theres a development being made for reading temp/fan sensors on boards with certain S-I/O chips (winbond/ITE/Fintek) and generic ACPI registers (needs DSDT mod). For more details follow the link.

Its working on my setup (for now only reads CPU fan speed). Nothing special, install in S/L/E, use Kext Utility

post-51637-1275729683_thumb.png

Hi BlackCH.

I apologize to have bothered you. I'm deeply Sorry to have troubled you.

Hate me :D ; Be my guest. :thumbsdown_anim:

Here is what I tried and posted at that site:

Respected Slice and alphamerik.

I too have tried loading the Revision 110 builds.

There is a Kernel Panic as soon as fakesmc.kext is loaded from the .Mkext.

I have placed it it /System/Library/Extensions/

Repaired the permissions. Rebuilt .mkext of my both /E/E and /S/L/E kexts.

Most of my system is vanilla except for VoodooPowerACPI (in /S/L/E), OSXRestart, Yukon2 injector, and NUllCPUPowermanagement.kext (in /E/E).

I have same motherboard as BlackCH -> ASUS P5K-VM. He did get your builds working...

Is there some code to be injected in DSDT? I tried inserting the code on the first page... no success.

However, When I boot with -f -v, My Snow Leopard boots fine with no Kernel Panics at all!

iStat menu and iStat widget, show CPU temps, FAN Speed accurately (which is the Max value I know from the manual), and Northbridge temperature values.

BTW, my ASUS P5K-VM mobo has a Winbond chip. Missed taking a digi-snap for posting here... will do in next post.

But, Please I humbly request, can you guide us on how to get it working without KPs or having to boot using -f?

Regards,

Freaky Chokra ;)

The Kext causes kernel Panic only with IntelThermal.kext... instantly as system loads it.

Regards,

Freaky Chokra ;)

i just tryed with this method but no results... can you tell me your exactly settings on your bios maybe i do some mistakes (all settings)

All the relevant information is in the last 25 pages of this thread and in the readme that comes with the boot cd from my signature; theres nothing else to add to.

If you already readed through that and everything checked ok, then could be a problem with the install disk you are using (maybe bad-burned, maybe corrupt ISO?)

Hi

Fairly new at this but managed to get a good install of Leopard on my P5K-VM about two years ago. Have now managed a good install of SL using your CD (for which many many thanks) but left with two problems I can't seem to resolve.

I'm using a NV44 graphics board which works fine in Leopard (using NVInject), but I cannot get it working properly on SL. It defaults to 1024x756. I've tried using Graphics inject on Lizard, but it hangs on reboot. NVEnabler produces the same result.

On Leo I can see all the PCI devices (SUB bridge, audio, graphics etc) in "about this mac", but I cannot see them at all under SL. I've kept the Leo install on a separate disk so I've been able to boot back into it to check.

One other small point, I got audio working, but it seems to switch off when not playing a sound.

Any and all help much appreciated!

I'm using a NV44 graphics board which works fine in Leopard (using NVInject), but I cannot get it working properly on SL. It defaults to 1024x756. I've tried using Graphics inject on Lizard, but it hangs on reboot. NVEnabler produces the same result.

I dont know if those cards (6xxx series I think) works on 10.6 (for sure they need 32 bit mode like the 7xxx series). You need to have a look in the graphic card section of the forum. This is not a P5K-VM specific problem but I can recommend you to get a new NVidia card (a cheap 8400GS would be enough and trouble free)

On Leo I can see all the PCI devices (SUB bridge, audio, graphics etc) in "about this mac", but I cannot see them at all under SL. I've kept the Leo install on a separate disk so I've been able to boot back into it to check.

That doesnt affect in any way the performance of the machine. Is 'cosmetic' info and can be injected by editing the DSDT file or by Device Properties Strings if you want to.

One other small point, I got audio working, but it seems to switch off when not playing a sound.

Thats correct, it switches off but once you play anything trough it should be back on right away. Also is somehow noisy (not good for audio production, but good enough for movies, etc)

Just a few comments from my side:

• I had posted a variety of Q6600 DSDT's going up to version 3.4, and all of them work. They were all Q6600 adaptations of DB1's and BlackCH's work. I am presently on version 3.3 and have been for months.
  • Speed stepping works, and works without flaw.
  • Temperatures of 58°C (idling) to 77°C (full load) are NORMAL. Version 3.4 DSDT had slightly higher idling temperatures, but makes little difference in the end.
  • Shutdown, sleep, wake all work, and without flaw, for many months now, as BlackCH indicated in his message.
  • Wake from USB works, and without flaw. BlueTooth wake has not worked for many, myself included.
  • Vanilla 10.6.3 (with the exception of one single audio kext, modified as documented by BlackCH) works flawlessly with kexts provided in this forum.

Folks, please stop creating unnecessary traffic on this site for problems addressed way back, with solutions clearly spelled out. First read carefully, and implement. If there are specific issues that were not covered before, we as a community will try to help and resolve.

ello there Bikinifarm,

I'm trying for a long time now to compile my dsdt from your example. Can't seem to make it work. Yours is working without sleep but i think this is due to te different videocard.

My system is a p5k-VM Q6600 with 4 Gb and a NVIDIA 7600 GS.

Hope you can help me out.

Cheers