10.4.10 Upgrade Sucessful

josh256

305 posts in this topic

May I ask another stupid question? Can I install in via software update? Or I have to download it manually (with or with out combo update).

As said, you MUST NOT REBOOT when the setup has been completed because you have to replece the previous extensions otherwise the system will not reboot. Anyway you look into this forum you will find a member who wrote exactly what he did before. :D

Do you have a real Mac oder just a Hacintosh?

I'm using the Hacintosh.

to sev7en,

I have read all post but I couldn't find exactly where is the source of this update. (software update, download from apple website, or somewhere else)

Well, if you are on Intel, download the update from your "Software Update", do some backups as mentioned before, don't reboote after the Update ist dont and copy the files are said in this dependig post back.

If you are on AMD, wait for a usermade update.

Lemme ask a stupid question. What's the point of installing the update if you are then overlaying with and older kernel?

There is no point to it unless you are looking for better support for certain hardware. Lets say graphic cards. So many people have newer nVidia card from the Geforce 8 series and others like myself are hoping for full x1950 pro support.

Well, I had all sorts of video issues (assuming that is what they are) after the upgrade, even after replacing my kext's. I would get a black screen with a cursor, and nothing else. Wouldn't hang entirely, as I could move the cursor around, but would never get passed this. I ended up giving up and replacing my entire Extensions folder with my backup as well. This works fine, but as you said, not exactly clean... :-/

If your card doesn't like the 10.4.10 NVidia kexts (v 4.5.6) then roll them back to 10.4.9's (4.5.2)...

joshuas-computer:~ Joshua$ kextstat | grep nv40

70 0 0x47e9c000 0x1ae000 0x1ad000 com.apple.nvidia.nv40hal (4.5.6) <69 16 11>

joshuas-computer:~ Joshua$ kextstat | grep NVD

69 2 0x3b4ec000 0x1fc000 0x1fb000 com.apple.NVDAResman (4.5.6) <68 67 16 11 5 4 3 2>

joshuas-computer:~ Joshua$ kextstat | grep GeF

81 0 0x3b735000 0x52000 0x51000 com.apple.GeForce (4.5.6) <69 68 67 16 11 5 4 3 2>

joshuas-computer:~ Joshua$

Dear Josh,

Replacing the NVidia Kext Files did the job! But still I'm intrested what exactly is incompatible between the new (4.5.6) and the old

(4.5.2) NVidia drivers.

Thanks Again,

Kasper

Is there any working update für AMD out there with matching kernel? And how to for it?

@djdan2006: Check your PM

Check out hackint0sh channel, I'm uploading an AMD package right now. Will be ready in a few minutes.

I did update in usual way AppleACPIPlatform.kext, AppleSMCBIOS.kext, System.kext and kernel keept in previous versions.

Finally is ok no problems at all, i applied patch to new AppleHDA with same Targua AppleHDAPatcher_v1.16, also wireless auto connecting started to work propelly with new IO80211.kext (mine WIFI is BCM4318)

Hi, I have successfully updated to 10.4.10 using the method discussed earlier, that is, by copying the various kexts from Extensions, including IONetworkingFamily and AppleHDA since I have altered both of them. Then I repaired permissions and rebooted. Apparantly, I don't know the proper way to copy and restore mach_kernel because it would not permit me to add what I thought I'd saved as my mach_kernel. It said something about being invisible.

When rebooting, it just kept repeating the boot process. So I used the uphuck v1.3 install disk to re-install just the kernel (sse3-2) and all is working fine. But I'd really like to learn how to copy and restore the mach_kernel properly. Would appreciate if someone could point me to a 'how to'. Thanks!

Hi, I have successfully updated to 10.4.10 using the method discussed earlier, that is, by copying the various kexts from Extensions, including IONetworkingFamily and AppleHDA since I have altered both of them. Then I repaired permissions and rebooted. Apparantly, I don't know the proper way to copy and restore mach_kernel because it would not permit me to add what I thought I'd saved as my mach_kernel. It said something about being invisible.

When rebooting, it just kept repeating the boot process. So I used the uphuck v1.3 install disk to re-install just the kernel (sse3-2) and all is working fine. But I'd really like to learn how to copy and restore the mach_kernel properly. Would appreciate if someone could point me to a 'how to'. Thanks!

Hey Moose,

Many system files are "invisible" to the finder so you'll need something like TinkerTool: http://www.bresink.de/osx/TinkerTool.html to make these files visible. This is one of several handy utilties that will enable you to fiddle with stuff under the hood, Cocktail is another and there is an AppleScript called Show\Hide Files that you can google for. Also can do this from the command line but that's not a strong suite for me, perhaps someone else can provide the code for that.

You'll then need to drag the kernel to the trash (you'll be asked for your administrators password) and copy over the back up of your mach_kernel then repair permissions etc., and reboot

Hope that helps.

Join #10.4.10 on irc to get download link for AMD package. Will make intel package too.

I've applied your package and on the first boot I get a kernel panic.. The problem was the Nvidia drivers so I've to modified and add the PCIMatch in these 3 files.. NVDANV40HAL, NVDAResman, GeForce

And at the end I've to delete rc.installer....... from /etc

Thanks anyway... I just information to make a better package. If you want I'll send you the modified kext. :hysterical:

I've applied your package and on the first boot I get a kernel panic.. The problem was the Nvidia drivers so I've to modified and add the PCIMatch in these 3 files.. NVDANV40HAL, NVDAResman, GeForce

And at the end I've to delete rc.installer....... from /etc

Thanks anyway... I just information to make a better package. If you want I'll send you the modified kext. :)

Yeah new Nvidia kexts are known to cause troubles for some people now.

can't find the kernel or AppleACPIplatform.kext no idea where they are stored i will wait until someone like jas releases an updater.

What do you mean?You don't have to backup and replace anything, just install the package.

The guide on the first page of this topic has nothing to do with my package.

Intel package done, but untested yet because I dont have intel machine to test on. Please test and report back on irc.