Apple's Logo

26 posts in this topic

They were the favourite fruit of co-founder Steve Jobs and/or for the time he worked at an apple orchard. He was three months late in filing a name for the business, and he threatened to call the company Apple Computer if his colleagues didn't suggest a better name by 5 p.m. Apple wanted to distance itself from the cold, unapproachable, complicated imagery created by other computer companies at the time — which had names such as IBM, DEC, ADPAC, Cincom, Syncsort and Tesseract — in order to get people to use them at home

Why is an apple ?

anybody ???

Because in the 80's Cupertino (the place where Apple started) was known for it's Apple-yards, Apple-cider and Apple-wine. So the folks at Apple decided to use the apple as a logo. The same is true for Acorn Computers Ltd. in the UK. Cambridge (where Acorn Computers started) is known for it's oaktree forrests hence the Acorn in their name.

Cheers,

EPDM

Here's some insight from Wikipedia:

Apple's first logo, designed by Jobs and Wayne, depicts Sir Isaac Newton sitting under an apple tree. Almost immediately, though, this was replaced by Rob Janoff's "rainbow Apple," the now-familiar rainbow-colored silhouette of an apple with a bite taken out of it, possibly as a tribute to Isaac Newton's discoveries of the gravity (the apple), and the separation of light by prisms (the colors). This was one of several designs Janoff presented to Jobs in 1976. In her book Zeroes and Ones, author Sadie Plant speculates that the rainbow logo was a homage to Alan Turing, the father of modern computing.

Wow i like these theory's. I thought i knew everything about apple. Good thread.

Apple logo is from their name... but i still love the wiki info and stories of the name of Apple computers.

Some extra info, I also posted on my blog, about the bite out of the apple:

Prior to the first Macintosh, Apple used a typeface called Motter Tektura alongside the Apple logo. Motter Tektura was designed by Othmar Motter of Vorarlberger Graphik in 1975 and distributed by Letraset. At the time, the typeface was considered new and modern. One modification to the typeface was that the dot over the i was removed. The lowercase "s" was also modified for the label on the Disk II 5.25" floppy disk drive.

According to the logo designer, Rob Janoff, the typeface was selected for its playful qualities and techno look, in line with Apple's mission statement of making high technology accessible to anyone. Janoff designed the logo in 1976 while working with Palo Alto marketer Regis McKenna.

The apple's "bite" was originally designed to fit snugly with the Motter Tektura "a."

325px-Apple_logo_Motter_Tektura.svg.png

I used this font in some banners:

post-6877-1180301428_thumb.png

• 3 weeks later...
They were the favourite fruit of co-founder Steve Jobs and/or for the time he worked at an apple orchard. He was three months late in filing a name for the business, and he threatened to call the company Apple Computer if his colleagues didn't suggest a better name by 5 p.m. Apple wanted to distance itself from the cold, unapproachable, complicated imagery created by other computer companies at the time — which had names such as IBM, DEC, ADPAC, Cincom, Syncsort and Tesseract — in order to get people to use them at home

No, I heard it was just because it came before Atari in the phone book. :(

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Funny store. I have a buddy who works at the Apple Store near here and he told me this.

Some woman comes into the store, storms up to the genius bar and throws her iPhone down and says angrily, "There's something wrong with my iPhone!"

She explains that she called tech support at home and they told her to bring it in to the Apple Store. My friend picks up the iPhone and plays with it for a bit and says "It seems to be working fine, ma'am." She says "No, I went to reset it the other day and when it powered back on, there was a bite missing from the Apple logo!"

Of course he was just like "Uh, that's our logo, it's plastered all over everything in here." and she had an embarrassed "...oh" reaction.

Funny store. I have a buddy who works at the Apple Store near here and he told me this.

Some woman comes into the store, storms up to the genius bar and throws her iPhone down and says angrily, "There's something wrong with my iPhone!"

She explains that she called tech support at home and they told her to bring it in to the Apple Store. My friend picks up the iPhone and plays with it for a bit and says "It seems to be working fine, ma'am." She says "No, I went to reset it the other day and when it powered back on, there was a bite missing from the Apple logo!"

Of course he was just like "Uh, that's our logo, it's plastered all over everything in here." and she had an embarrassed "...oh" reaction.

lmao

nice... i'm always surprised by the stupidity of some in the general population

listen this. my friend had an powerbook.and he was siting in his computer service when one women came in.she wanted to buy some laptop,and when she spotted his powerbook ,she said : "i want same laptop just with peach instead apple..." :D:P:)

~R

Even if it's quite surely not the true version, I prefer thinking it's a reference to Alan Turing's suicide (condemned to chemical castration because of it's homosexuality (remember that the Apple logo was rainbow-coloured for long), he suicided eating an poisoned apple).

By the way, an Apple has a lot more evocational power than any other fruit (Adam & Eve,…)

Even if it's quite surely not the true version, I prefer thinking it's a reference to Alan Turing's suicide (condemned to chemical castration because of it's homosexuality (remember that the Apple logo was rainbow-coloured for long), he suicided eating an poisoned apple).

Very unlikely that it was a reference to Turing. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Turing#P...uring.27s_death

By the way, an Apple has a lot more evocational power than any other fruit (Adam & Eve,…)

Yes, and that biblical symbology might be a real link between Turing's death and Apple Computers.