mengder

mengder

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
my card is Broadcom BCM4318 802.11b/g Wireless Network Adapter
i'm wondering if this is the same one as that in you post:

" 4318, Broadcom BCM4318 [AirForce One 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN (confirmed)" ?

many thanks

mcsmart

mcsmart

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Interests:Un*x-like systems, PCs, Scripting and Programming

I have to put my hardware PCI id in AppleAirPortBrcm4311's Info.plist file:-
/System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext/Contents/Info.plist

This is what my script is for. Actually this is the only thing it does: it just adds some PCI-IDs.

With Tiger Works great

With Leopard: Kernel Panic!!!

Yeah, I might add Leopard support later. For now only Tiger is supported.

my card is Broadcom BCM4318 802.11b/g Wireless Network Adapter
i'm wondering if this is the same one as that in you post:

" 4318, Broadcom BCM4318 [AirForce One 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN (confirmed)" ?

many thanks

Yes it's the same one. This is actually just the name of the chipset shown by "lspci" under Linux.

regards,
mcsmart

kozlowski

kozlowski

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts
Solution for LinkSys WMP54G (if card is recognized, but it tells you that AirPort is not configured).

http://forum.insanel...showtopic=83428

E-werd

E-werd

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
I got a Dynex DX-BNBC from Best Buy for $35 with a BCM4318 (pci14e4,4318) chipset in it, which is all well and good--I would add this model to the first post, for the sake of forum Newbies and

If I use the Airport utility, it finds nothing. I click on the Airport icon at the top, Airport: Not Configured. If I go to network preferences, click "Assist Me..." and go through the motions, it finds my router and allows me to enter the password. However, next screen it says "cannot connect to internet." So, I close the assistant window and look at network preferences... Connected, with an assigned IP address. All is good. :)

If I go to system profiler, then down to Airport card, it says "AirPort is currently turned off" when I am clearly connected. :P

Still quite odd that Airport is not seeing it correctly. :(

It would be cool if somebody had any ideas as to how to get Airport to be seen as "enabled." Any thoughts?

more or less

more or less

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
I just had the same problem with a BRDCM 4311, try to delete that set up in Network preferences and make a new one.

It seems after running the assistant, and then trying to initialize the card, it works. Did for me, anyways.

E-werd

E-werd

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
Well, oddly enough, I rebooted and now its working perfectly. Huh, thats weird. Works absolutely great now. It even automatically connected to my network, with other options. :D

Thanks for the tip though, I'll remember that.

mcsmart

mcsmart

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

I would add this model to the first post, for the sake of forum Newbies

Thanks for the hint :D

Well, oddly enough, I rebooted and now its working perfectly. Huh, thats weird. Works absolutely great now. It even automatically connected to my network, with other options. :P

Good to hear. Did you do a reboot in the first place?

pcrhckyman

pcrhckyman

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I cannot find the AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext anywhere! Can someone post it?

Using deadmoo 10.4.1 image

EDIT: Found it on a spare Leopard install disc. Somebody should post it in case someone doesn't have it.

gai-jin

gai-jin

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
I have a 4318, but after running the script I'm still not seeing anything that indicates the wireless card is enabled.

One odd bit -- before running the script, 'Built in Ethernet' in the network panel was dithered out. After running the script, it is available and I can set configuration options for it. I plugged into a wired network w/ dhcp, but it didn't seem to detect it.

Is is possible that, since I don't have a driver yet for my wired ethernet, it is looking at the first ethernet adapter it finds (the wireless, in this case) and assuming it's the 'built in ethernet'?

How could I correct this?

gai-jin

gai-jin

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
Also, FWIW, I checked in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist. and show en0 and fw0 interfaces, but nothing for wireless.

gai-jin

gai-jin

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Is is possible that, since I don't have a driver yet for my wired ethernet, it is looking at the first ethernet adapter it finds (the wireless, in this case) and assuming it's the 'built in ethernet'?

How could I correct this?

It looks like that's exactly what's happening. Digging around, I found in the Network Utility the Info section. There, for interface en0, it lists Vendor as "Apple", model as "Wireless Network Adapter".

I'm still trying to get my Yukon 8036 adapter working, but until then, what do I need to do to get the broadcom adapter recognized / configured as an airport card, rather than as en0 ?

k3nny

k3nny

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 538 posts
From my understanding you just have to set the integer from 0 to 1 in this part of
/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist
(after modifying the kext)

<key>IOInterfaceUnit</key>
<integer>0</integer>

This did the trick for me and i could configure the card with Airport. Earlier it was like a simple ethernet device..

gai-jin

gai-jin

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
Thanks! That's exactly what I needed!

Now, off to try and figure out how to get some sound.

k3nny

k3nny

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 538 posts
@mcsmart:

If you got a modified kext, your script will make it unusable because it just writes the string section and the rest disappears.

Maybe you also could add my earlier post (link)

to the FAQ on the first page. I see thats exactly whats causing many people trouble :)

mcsmart

mcsmart

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

@mcsmart:

If you got a modified kext, your script will make it unusable because it just writes the string section and the rest disappears.

What do you mean by modified kext? It is recommended to install Apple's AirPort-Update before running the script... Then you should get a vanilla-kext.

Maybe you also could add my earlier post (link)

to the FAQ on the first page. I see thats exactly whats causing many people trouble :(

Thanks for that hint.

Regards,
mcsmart

k3nny

k3nny

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 538 posts

What do you mean by modified kext? It is recommended to install Apple's AirPort-Update before running the script... Then you should get a vanilla-kext.
Thanks for that hint.

Regards,
mcsmart

Some days ago i experimented with the .kext from tubgirl's v10.4.10 . Seems the AirPort Update is already integrated.
Anyway the kext already contained the IDs of additional wireless adapters and as i ran your script the .kext was a completely mess :D

bgthndr

bgthndr

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi, I'm new to the scene and I installed Leopard (iATKOS) recently on my laptop. My built in wireless card which is intel 3945 is not working. I found out from reading this forum that there are no drivers for it yet. I got a motorola wn825g wireless card that has a broadcom chipset in it but I dont know how to configure it. I already have the AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext with the pcid 4320 in it. All help to configure the card would be much appreciated.

mcsmart

mcsmart

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

I got a motorola wn825g wireless card that has a broadcom chipset in it but I dont know how to configure it. I already have the AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext with the pcid 4320 in it. All help to configure the card would be much appreciated.

Is it a USB card or PCMCIA? With PCMCIA you probably won't have any luck. USB could work: plug it in and see what happens. Especially the output of "sudo dmesg" should be interesting.

mcsmart

bgthndr

bgthndr

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for a quick reply. It is a PCMCIA card not USB. I ran the command 'sudo dmesg' and it displayed a lot of information which i dont understand which included something about the ethernet. (I have my ethernet working).

mcsmart

mcsmart

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Thanks for a quick reply. It is a PCMCIA card not USB. I ran the command 'sudo dmesg' and it displayed a lot of information which i dont understand which included something about the ethernet. (I have my ethernet working).

Yeah, see: PCMCIA is sort of a problem. You should first be sure that your PCMCIA controller is working, and only very few chipsets are supported by OSX86. You can try to attach the output of dmesg to one of your posts.
But trust me: just get a new USB wireless card (check the forum for recommended cards) and life will be a whole lot easier for you :lol:

regards,
mcsmart

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy