• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

cyris ng

cyris ng

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
After installing 10.4.x and hacking the kext to get some semblance of video acceleration and audio output are you productive? Do projects get done?

Or is it your indulging your curiocity to see what every Mac cult member is raving about?

melchior

melchior

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts
I use my x86 mac for my raw processing workflow, for my university study and for writing. It is leaps and bounds faster than my ibook which i had been using until recently =)

Tak

Tak

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Yup it's my main OS.

CthulhuOSX

CthulhuOSX

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
Yes, I'll never go back to windows, well, unless it is REALLY necessary.

domino

domino

Retired

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts
Not at it's current state. If it were my powerbook or linux, it's a different story.

Hagar

Hagar

Project Dogsbody

• Administrators
  • 2,352 posts
I get a shock every time I reboot to windows, I forget I've ever used anything else..
As for productivity, I'm about equally unproductive in any OS, but apart from a few annoying hardware issues, I don't feel OSX86 holds me back..

Technobob

Technobob

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts
I'm using it to see if it's worth switching and so far it is. I mostly surf, email, burn media, remote control my windows server. I would complete the switch to Mac but the software that makes me money only runs in windows, no Mac versions are available. I will buy a MacTel but only after they have got the bugs worked out.

johan

johan

Nuke ATWT fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts
no not yet

for my osx is to slow for now and there are not enough application i like te use

like games,

or audio aplications

for now its just for fun

Darktear

Darktear

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
Still just using it for fun, since I cant get my printer working and it runs kinda slow.. but a great os :)

39thRonin

39thRonin

Mac OS X - 10 Steps into the future of Computing...

• Retired
  • 356 posts
I use Mac OS X x86 almost exclusively - I have a couple of programs I've not found a Mac counterpart for, but for virtually everything else I'm in OSX. I've grown to hate windows in a big way - still use Linux and Solaris for certain specific things, but I use my OSX box for prolly 95% of my daily work. As a matter of fact, I just got done helping my wife with a major presentation she had for Grad school and did everything on my OSX box - slides, video, notes pages, etc.

disposition

disposition

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
I can't use OSX86 for music or movies. But it is my main OS. I plan to make the switch ASAP. Its a wonderful OS.

DiaboliK

DiaboliK

DiaboliK <- Capital K!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts
currently im using 10.4.3 8f1111 and producing work in photoshop cs2 and dreamweaver fx 2004. works perfectly. alittle slow but way faster than in windows, well i like the gui better for mac.

cyrana

cyrana

Prophetess of Doom

• Retired
  • 1,462 posts
I'm not really productive... I am used to dual displays, but only one seems to work at a time currently, and then the other machine has no wireless, so it is rather useless.

App-wise, the ones I use do all run tolerably, but Photoshop is way faster on native PPC (or in Windows).

miranda363

miranda363

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
Its a bit of both I've always been curious about Macs but at present i'm not producing anything as there are speed constraints and the availabilty of applications. I want to go over to mac though and this is a good starting point

macgirl

macgirl

Stargate's Pharaoh

• Retired
  • 7,612 posts
  • Interests:Techie gadgets
My "really" productive is in my PowerBook.

cyris ng

cyris ng

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

currently im using 10.4.3 8f1111 and producing work in photoshop cs2 and dreamweaver fx 2004. works perfectly. alittle slow but way faster than in windows, well i like the gui better for mac.

What's your PC's specs? You running on a SSE2 or SSE3 processor?

flow

flow

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
I confess that I didnt use it much since I am using a laptop

I was a fan of MAC and still love it. but this x86 has no wireless , no USB mouse, no ATI, and short of web plugins, it is like, ahha, I CAN dual boot xp and X86, then...... rarely comeback to visit it again.

I certainly will buy it if they sell a full version of tiger for my P4 laptop though

Emperor of The Unknown Universe

Emperor of The Unknown Universe

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:Mr Puter

I confess that I didnt use it much since I am using a laptop

I was a fan of MAC and still love it. but this x86 has no wireless , no USB mouse, no ATI, and short of web plugins, it is like, ahha, I CAN dual boot xp and X86, then...... rarely comeback to visit it again.

I certainly will buy it if they sell a full version of tiger for my P4 laptop though

I have a USB trackball working. but it's VIA an Intel USB controller.

fungi79

fungi79

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
Great OS.

But not really productive as there are not enough native software yet. If you just email, surf then it's perfectly fine and thoroughly recommended.

enzomusic

enzomusic

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
  • Interests:Music, Chicks, Beer 'n' OSX. ;)
Hi,
I'm not as productive as in Windows, cause I know all my Programs.
But before 2 Days I decided to completly erase my Windows (Just a WinPE for running small helpers or copying things to a NTFS Hdd).

Before I used Cubase 'n FLStudio for producing music.
FLStudio isn't available for Mac, and Cubase on Mac is not as steady as the Windows Version.

So now I'm learning to work with Logic Express and GarageBand (not so good as FLStudio).
In the time between now and the release of the Macintel and Logic for x86 I can't be productive, just learn, cause of licensing the programs. :/But I have a good feeling, that I can be a lot of more productive on the mac.

I hope Logic will be available in x86 when the 1st Macintels will be released and am looking forward to. :)
Want to buy a MacIntel, 1st Apple design and Intel CPU... *dreamin' of...* :)

Greetz
[enzo]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy