• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

MacVampire

MacVampire

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi I'am new in here, well i just wanna find out dat is it possible OS X to install on odinary Intel Xeon processor??????? And does any one ever tried???? Please let me know and how to do it

Thanks Fellas!

kernalzero

kernalzero

aesculapius

• Donators
  • 569 posts
http://wiki.osx86pro...CL_10.4.7#:Xeon
this example didn't work but check the rest of the wiki i'm sure there are examples there of working or non-working processors

http://wiki.osx86pro....4.6#Processors

working xeons are listed here at the bottom of the processor list. also check if your processor is atleast sse2 and hopefully sse3. SSE2 is a must though

Colonel

Colonel

11 Herbs & Spices

• Retired
  • 4,157 posts
The Mac Pro's have Xeons, so yes, a regular Xeon would work.

Alessandro17

Alessandro17

Chief of Security

• Administrators
  • 8,333 posts

Hi I'am new in here, well i just wanna find out dat is it possible OS X to install on odinary Intel Xeon processor??????? And does any one ever tried???? Please let me know and how to do it
Thanks Fellas!

I hope two points are clear enough:

1)You'll need a hacked version of OS X
2)When it comes to compatibility the motherboard is more important than the CPU.

MacVampire

MacVampire

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
yes i do have OS X 10.4.6 Goatseck, the thing is that i have successfully install on

Mobo:Asus,945
Intel P4 HT,3GHz
RAM:512MB,DDR2
hard drive : 40 Gb

more over i want to know more on installing on Intel Xeon processor???????

Alessandro17

Alessandro17

Chief of Security

• Administrators
  • 8,333 posts

more over i want to know more on installing on Intel Xeon processor???????

Maybe you want to read this thread:

http://forum.insanel...o...c=26508&hl=

and this one:

http://forum.insanel...o...387&hl=xeon

OMX-Knuckles

OMX-Knuckles

Girl wif the hammer ^_^

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts
The single-socket 30x0 series Xeons are simply Core 2's that have been re-labeled. To get a Xeon system working with OS X you'll really want to have Nocona or newer Xeons (think Prescott). The minimum will be Foster (think Willamette) or Prestonia (think Northwood). For Foster/Prestonia/Nocona/Irwindale/Paxville Xeons (any Xeon with a 400, 533 or 800mhz FSB) your best bet for compatibility will probably be an ASUS PC-DL or NCCH-DL or IWill DH-800 motherboard- all of these use the i875 chipset and are workstation boards so they'll have an 8x AGP slot. For newer Xeons (Dempsey/Woodcrest) and an x5000 chipset board you'll most likely enjoy excellent support as this is the platform that the Mac Pro is based on. Keep in mind that building a Woodcrest system will be orders of magnitude more expensive than putting together an older Netburst system- i5000 boards run at least $350 and the procs are at least $200 apiece. A PC-DL or NCCH-DL can be found for under $150 if you look around and it's common to see a pair of procs for under $200. You also won't need expensive FB-DIMMS or even registered memory. You could take a risk and pickup an E7520 board and you'd get PCI-e slots.

EDIT- to make things a bit more clear and to help identify-
Foster Xeons= any Xeon with a 400mhz FSB has SSE2 only
Prestonia= 533Mhz FSB, SSE2
Nocona= 800mhz FSB has SSE3
Paxville= Dualcore, 667 and 800mhz FSB, SSE3
Irwindale= 800mhz FSB, SSE3
Dempsey (50x0 series)= Dualcore, 667mhz FSB, SSE3
Woodcrest (51x0 series)= Dualcore, 1066 and 1333Mhz FSB, SSE3
Clovertown (53x0 series)= Quadcore, 1066 and 1333mhz FSB, SSE3

Woodcrests and Clovertowns will be the fastest as they're multicore *and* Core-based so they'll be lower power as well. Dempseys will offer a future upgrade path to Clovertown or Woodcrest and they're dirt cheap anymore. I'd stay away from Fosters (too slow, no SSE3) and Paxvilles (too expensive for what you get). Get a pair of Noconas if possible.

luv2rip

luv2rip

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
I successfully installed Hacked ToH Leopard 9A581 on Dell PowerEdge SC1430, that has dual Xeon 3GHz

No Sound, No Internet , just plain Leopard

NEwork: BroadcomNX1 Gigabit card
Soundcard: Creative X-FI SB

joshbillions

joshbillions

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I have 10.5.2 running on a Dell PowerEdge SC1420 with Dual Dual-Core Xeons @ 3.0 GHz. EFIv8. Everything working beautifully. Only major problem was installing my 7300GT, but luckily I found a solution:

http://tkdan.com/SC420/

Nothing a blowtorch and a steady hand couldn't handle.

socal swimmer

socal swimmer

socal swimmer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts
  • Interests:swim, learning, computers
this is so massively the wrong forum that its not even funny.

i dont know why you guys are even helping him.

Superhai

Superhai

InsanelyMac Legend

• Retired Developers
  • 1,425 posts
Xeon is a wide variety of cpus. The original poster is not around anymore, so waking up this thread was necessary?

A Nonny Moose

A Nonny Moose

Proud PPC User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,421 posts
Shouldn't this be in the Hack forum???

j33p33

j33p33

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Xeon is a wide variety of cpus. The original poster is not around anymore, so waking up this thread was necessary?

Hewwwwwww, more than a year later here i am, running OS-X on my dual quad core xeon server board

anyone else here been sucessful with that?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy