The week I spent with my Vista PC

Tech607

68 posts in this topic

And they say ignorance is bliss?!?!? :thumbsup_anim:

One right click and two left clicks and you NEVER get that notification that UAC is turned off ROFLOLOL :hysterical:

Yer what next, a notification that I've turn off the notification for UAC. :rolleyes:

I've been an exclusive OS X user for the last two years. In the last two months, however, since buying my Mac Pro, I've spent 90% of my time in Vista. It's now my default boot option. Why?

I'm a Photographer by day. Working with photography the platform is irrelevent because the software is virtually identical (Adobe Lightroom, Photoshop, Bridge). If anything, I have a slight preference for OS X because I think its built-in color profile and callibration support is slightly better - although I still use third party software for both systems.

I also write a lot of code, though. For this work, there are a few really simple things that make Windows far more productive for me. 1, Ability to CUT and paste FILES. 2, Ability to quickly/easily traverse remote SMB file shares by modifying the UNC address or using Vista's sibling navigation. 3, TextPad. I tried several editors for the Mac and my favorite was TextMate - ultimately, though, it never replaced TextPad. And last: 4, Outlook 2007. It's superior to Microsoft Entourage and Apple Mail.

There are tradeoffs, though, for sure. I disabled UAC. I also miss how easy it is to rearrange (most) apps on OS X.

I can't imagine buying another PC; I love Mac hardware. However, Vista will be my default OS - at least until the new OS X comes out, at which point I'll give it another shot.

It was all that I thought it would be and maybe even worse. I put together my list of 10 Vista annoyances.....

Have you ever heard of self-fulfilling prophecy? :D

At least you got what you expected.

Personally, when I tried Vista, I expected that Microsoft was finally going to get a lot of things right, and they did. I couldn't be happier with Vista.

How is this for being prophetic. I had to restore my system because it started taking 10 minutes to boot. HP blamed a software installation WOW! I can't even install my software (normal store bought Vista capable) programs without braking this OS. What a laugh. It is working alright now but I still have to figure out what program I just wasted money on because I can not install it. So just like looking in the future of any windows user, instead of being productive, I have to break it again. Then figure out what broke it and never use that program again. Typical Windows!

The start menu is better than XPs which doesn't overload the screen with folders.

Is that a good thing or a bad thing...I'ts not clear. :) So you WANT an overloaded start menu?

First of all, let me start off by saying that in my opinion, there is no clearly better OS.
So, I am sorry but I am a Windows defender...

Just thought It sounded a bit funny. :D

I have another Vista comment. I just wanted to adjust my time and date. It is crazy that I had to click in two places the option to change time and date. Why not take me to the correct screen from the beginning and not another spot where I would have to choose the option all over again. Plus the kicker was when it asked me to give it permission. I fear the person who wants to hack my clock and change my date. It is so stupid because it asked permission and did not need a password, it just need me to click ok. Now that is stupid because anyone could click ok.

VISTA : - Another useless OS from microsoft.

Yep. By this summer it should officially be the new albatross for microsoft. It is even worse than winME. Google 'vista is a lemon' and see how many hits you get :pirate2:

How can you tell that vista isn't a virus?

Because viruses cause less damage to your computer :whistle:

it´s like mercedes vs. bmw: someone prefers a harder to drive system, but with sporty attributes and a shiny outlook (bmw = vista), someone prefers comfort and elegance (thats mercedes = os x).

i like bmw´s but its nothing i would buy.

lol, I agree...although Giving the status of a BMW for Vista is pushing it a bit.....I wouldnt go farther than a souped up 07" Honda Civic...as opposed to a 96" civic (XP), and OS X being a Mercedes CL600 Coupe. :hysterical: If Vista does get the BMW class...then OS X deserves to be the Maybach.

"I know a week isn’t enough time to learn to hate everything Vista but it sure was enough time to send me running back to my iMac and apologizing for my indiscretion."

That made me actually laugh out loud.

I agree that while Vista isn't the best OS in the world, they (Microsoft) have come a long way from Windows XP, which wasn't all that bad.

I'd pick a Macintosh any day though.

i agree with EFI. I know my cars, and Vista is not the BMW of operating systems. A BMW is sport but definately not hardto drive, all they do is make fast driving easy. Vista is like american car companies, perfect example, lets say GM. Such as if you compare a yukon to an Escalade, its the same damn car with a shiny new exterior but all the same internals. I know vista and some new features, which in all honesty might look good on paper but don;t do jack in the real-word situations from what I;ve experienced. Like this "special" ram management that is supposed to use up more ram for better performance, if anything it makes the operating system. Oh, plus american cars are full of defects, such as vista.

Real Comparison:

Vista = pos american car

OSX = easy to use and very functional lexus

Vista is like the Scion. You can configure it any different way but underneath it is still the same old cheap car. Cute maybe but it still lacks the power and sophistication of Toyota's Lexus line of cars. So if you want a cheap get me from A to B Scion is the choice for you. Yes you will be cramped and uncomfortable. You will also be more vulnerable in an accident but you can get there. BUT OS X is like the Lexus like "The Pursuit of Perfection." If you want to drive in style and Comfort you choose the Lexus class vehicle.

Please, enough with the "Microsoft copied Apple!" stuff.

Sure, now there are thumbnails in Alt-Tab, just like OS X. How is that "copying" when there really isnt anything else that can be changed there? What are they supposed to do, make the icons bigger?

Please, enough with the "Microsoft copied Apple!" stuff.

Sure, now there are thumbnails in Alt-Tab, just like OS X. How is that "copying" when there really isnt anything else that can be changed there? What are they supposed to do, make the icons bigger?

Hey don't forget Flip 3D, Gadgets, Desktop Search, Windows Mail, Windows DVD Maker, UAC, Must I continue?