[Discussion] Fit a PC in a G5 PowerMac Enclosure!

• Please log in to reply
1070 replies to this topic

osxgus

osxgus

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
G5's ugly ripoff sister is here..

http://www.qtec.info...htm?artnr=14451

damn.. that's just plain baaad

novaris

novaris

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
http://forum.insanel...&...st&p=146385

Dear tribesman, got some questions regarding yr mod proj.

Posted Image

what did u connect to the front switch pins?

Posted Image

for the original G5 8pin molex, did u connect the power cable from the PSU that was originally meant for the motherboard?

i just got my g5 casing and i am using a dfi Venus motheboard/

thanks man,,

does anyone have a diagram detailing the position of the mobo standoffs?

my plan is to mount an alu panel consisting of the original apple standoffs positions to that i can mount it then using ATX mounts to place my atx m/b

Harvey

Harvey

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
I know this thread is pretty dead at the moment but i was wondering if any1 with an ASRock 939 Daul SATA2 motherboard has managed to fit it? Also could some1 make a basic tutorial on how to make everything fit?
Cheers Harvey

guyin916

guyin916

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts
one thing i don't understand about this topic is that it is a sticky with 7 pages... i read a few different postings, but damn.. is the project even done? can we keep at least the first post of this topic updated so i and others don't have to make these sort of postings? O:-)

ѕӎѳѳ₮ңӌ

ѕӎѳѳ₮ңӌ

InsanelyMac Leg-End

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts
  • Interests:DUH!!

one thing i don't understand about this topic is that it is a sticky with 7 pages... i read a few different postings, but damn.. is the project even done? can we keep at least the first post of this topic updated so i and others don't have to make these sort of postings? O:-)

There are a few that have been completed, but they havent posted how in detail. One chap is very close, Darklight, and i expect he will post in detail upon completion. Maybe the mods could update the first post to reflect the whole topic. :D

macmaniac

macmaniac

hackaholic

• Donators
  • 322 posts
Got my new ASrock mobo working. The sleep works. When it wakes up, and turns on the fans, it sounds just like my G5 waking up. (Its almost spooky). SO...

I just bought a G5 case on ebay. Gonna make me a beautiful hackintosh. :whistle:

ѕӎѳѳ₮ңӌ

ѕӎѳѳ₮ңӌ

InsanelyMac Leg-End

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Got my new ASrock mobo working. The sleep works. When it wakes up, and turns on the fans, it sounds just like my G5 waking up. (Its almost spooky). SO...

I just bought a G5 case on ebay. Gonna make me a beautiful hackintosh. :(

Glad to hear you got sleep working. Something i could never manage.

Make sure you post your hackintosh work here for other people thinking of doing it to see. Good Luck

Orea

Orea

Formally, FragileMac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts
There is never a powermac g3. g4 or g5 case on ebay in the uk. If you did get one off ebay, your lucky. I would pay upto 120 for a case like that. My pc rip-off id a bit crappy, mind it only cost 10.\

Any got one?

BaYlisS

ѕӎѳѳ₮ңӌ

ѕӎѳѳ₮ңӌ

InsanelyMac Leg-End

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts

There is never a powermac g3. g4 or g5 case on ebay in the uk. If you did get one off ebay, your lucky. I would pay upto 120 for a case like that. My pc rip-off id a bit crappy, mind it only cost 10.\

Any got one?

BaYlisS

Ive got one that im not using. Mac Pro sorted that one out.... PM me bayliss if your interested.

boo50

boo50

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Got my new ASrock mobo working. The sleep works.

but does anyone have working power on by schedule in power pref. ??
i do //

Edited by boo50, 29 December 2006 - 10:38 PM.

sandwer

sandwer

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Donators
  • 97 posts

Any got one?

BaYlisS

Well....there was a G5 case last week, a touch expensive although your 120 would have got it, I think. If you want a G4 case- the Quicksilver is best for modding imho - www.scrumpymacs.com, and email the owner Phil. Tell him I sent you. Mine cost me 40

//R

aqua-mac

aqua-mac

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 839 posts
Here's a few pics of my Hackintosh.

The Watercooling on my Hacintosh is up and running, photos are here:

http://www.aqua-mac....toshaqua-m.html

You may need to refresh your browser or empty Safari's cache to see the new pics.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

aqua-mac

Edited by aqua-mac, 04 April 2007 - 05:44 AM.

MacX

MacX

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
I have went threw all the pages! Man some talented people out there! Wonderful

Suspect

Suspect

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
I just got a used G5 case today but it didn't include the wires to connect the front ports to the motherboard. I asked the guy I bought it from before I paid if there were wires attached and he said yes...oh well. Anyone know where I can locate one?

aqua-mac

aqua-mac

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 839 posts
Not cheap, but available Click Here

Nykwil

Nykwil

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
If anyone has the PROPER pinouts for the g5 case it would REALLY REALLY be appreciated. I've been through several different threads all of which have different pins representing different things for the power and LED switch on the I/O panel...all i need is to get the Power switch and LED working on my Gigabyte 965P-Dq6 mobo.

i wish we can just get a standard diagram

does anyone have that?

and not some cryptic messed up diagram like the most recent pinout thread eaither

DiaboliK

DiaboliK

DiaboliK <- Capital K!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts

If anyone has the PROPER pinouts for the g5 case it would REALLY REALLY be appreciated. I've been through several different threads all of which have different pins representing different things for the power and LED switch on the I/O panel...all i need is to get the Power switch and LED working on my Gigabyte 965P-Dq6 mobo.

i wish we can just get a standard diagram

does anyone have that?

and not some cryptic messed up diagram like the most recent pinout thread eaither

you can always use a multimeter, some wire, and a soldering iron and make pigtails straight from the powerswitch and the led

that how i reworked my g4 quicksiler frontpanel for my flip mod.

Edited by DiaboliK, 24 February 2007 - 09:51 AM.

Nykwil

Nykwil

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

you can always use a multimeter, some wire, and a soldering iron and make pigtails straight from the powerswitch and the led

that how i reworked my g4 quicksiler frontpanel for my flip mod.

yeah i ended up doing that...im wiring it straight to the powerswitch board itself but i'm encountering something wierd with my initial tests. Seperately, i can get the switch the power on my computer and when it's running i can get the LED to turn on...turns out the middle solder lead on the power button is shared by the msg led - and pw+ on my mobo while the 1st lead is the msg led+ and the 3rd lead is the pw minus. Seperately they work fine...but when i twist the msg led - and the pw+ wires and place it on the middle solder lead on the power switch it seems to go into a reset loop...I'm not sure maybe something is touching something it's not supposed to I need to solder it on and test it some more.

When i look on the other side of the powerswitch board...right under the LED is what appears to be a resistor....

What i'm thnking is is there some sort of circuitry that is splitting the signals to prevent it from putting it into a reset loop or something?

I'm thinking maybe it would stop reseting itself if i wired directly to the led itself?

Edited by Nykwil, 25 February 2007 - 01:05 AM.

DiaboliK

DiaboliK

DiaboliK <- Capital K!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts

yeah i ended up doing that...im wiring it straight to the powerswitch board itself but i'm encountering something wierd with my initial tests. Seperately, i can get the switch the power on my computer and when it's running i can get the LED to turn on...turns out the middle solder lead on the power button is shared by the msg led - and pw+ on my mobo while the 1st lead is the msg led+ and the 3rd lead is the pw minus. Seperately they work fine...but when i twist the msg led - and the pw+ wires and place it on the middle solder lead on the power switch it seems to go into a reset loop...I'm not sure maybe something is touching something it's not supposed to I need to solder it on and test it some more.

When i look on the other side of the powerswitch board...right under the LED is what appears to be a resistor....

What i'm thnking is is there some sort of circuitry that is splitting the signals to prevent it from putting it into a reset loop or something?

I'm thinking maybe it would stop reseting itself if i wired directly to the led itself?

i just wired straight from the buttons and the led, and then with an exacto knife i picked out and disconnected any of the leads (lighter green portion of the board surrounded by darker green) that goto either of them so they dont interuppt or use any of the other components on the frontpanel.

i beleive the resistor you are talking about is for the power button fade function when it goes to sleep.

steven89

steven89

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Ive been modding a G5 case in the last week or so.. here are some progress pics.. will post updated pics soon

Posted Image
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy