Leopard probably won't have a new UI or top secret features

SeanM

69 posts in this topic

As a few of you have said look at Itunes and Time Machine. Now let me push that even farther, look at Front Row, and Apple TV I think we are gonna see the Black Interface that these Products already have.

That or a mix between the two.

As for new features I would like to point out that we should all know by now that Apple is capable and more than likely going to completley suprise us with unexpected products and features.

Just sit back wait tell the 28th.

We will know very soon.

:)

AppleTV is the only thing that is likely not to be changing its interface with the Leopard release. Everything else "can" change, but we know that AppleTV is locked.

We know that they will want a consistent UI between AppleTV and Frontrow (two almost identical apps).

Time Machine already has the AppleTV UI implemented, so that is likely to stay.

The QuickView screens, Spaces and Expose already have the same glossy black theme as TimeMachine, so they are likely to stay.

And then we have iTunes... I guess it all comes down to what the new version looks like. We already know that there will be a new version of iTunes (7.1) for AppleTV, which we should be seeing sometime this week.

Whatever this new version looks like will probably be the final UI for Leopard's stuff.

We already know that many of the apps in Leopard are changing their spots so to speak, but they have yet to become consistent across the board. What we do have though is the migration of all of them to a new Resources directory structure, where we have a single folder called Aqua.

10.4.9 works with apps having the change to this new Resource folder layout.

So, what we are likely to see is a simultaneous release of 10.4.9 with iTunes 7.1 and AppleTV.

Odds are that the new iTunes, and the bug fix for not being able to play back audio from purchased videos is what was holding up the latest Leopard seed.

As iTunes has always been Apple's test bed, it is where we are likely to see the final Leopard UI show up.

If it still has the same look as it does now, then it is likely to be what we will see EVERYWHERE in Leopard.

If there are changes, then this update is where they will appear.

because all leopard apps will rely on the aqua resources folder to determine UI, im convinced apple will finally support themes, and downloading replacements for that folder will change the UI of every app that relies on it (that would work either way, ittl just be apple authorized)

Guys right now I'm telling you we are going to see what we dont expect, and some of what we expect at the Apple Special Event.

I have gotten ahold of some information about 3 hours ago from a contact.

I cant tell you details or really much about it

but what I can tell you is

Prepare for the unexpected, there is stuff on the list that shocks even me.

The list looks official too.

Not sure where he got it though and I would rather not ask.

I like the idea of phasing out brushed metal (sick of it, have been getting rid of it myself wherever possible eg Safari and Quicktime) and th unified toolbar look is nice. The general dark grey metal they have for iLife is ok - apart from iTunes!! iTunes is sooooo ugly!! :thumbsdown_anim:

I do get the feeling there will be a lot of stuff that resembles the iPhone and Apple TV, however.

After playing with a few builds of Leopard myself, I do get the impression that something is changing.. :whistle:

Guys right now I'm telling you we are going to see what we dont expect, and some of what we expect at the Apple Special Event.

I have gotten ahold of some information about 3 hours ago from a contact.

I cant tell you details or really much about it

but what I can tell you is

Prepare for the unexpected, there is stuff on the list that shocks even me.

The list looks official too.

Not sure where he got it though and I would rather not ask.

Is there a date and time for this yet?

:rolleyes:

i find it fascinating how many people have "friends" who are "insiders" at apple and have passed them on secret lists and information

haha also by saying that well see "what we don't expect and some of what we expect" you basically encompass everything; now no matter what they announce at the next event you can say you were right. try getting a little more specific.

I really think people are expecting like some huge changes here. Not that im any expert, but all i think is gonna happen is they will have their standard OS release. A new "aqua" wallpaper for the corrisponding os it is, some new apps, updated apps, some minor changes to some previous elements, and of course a new name and new number (10.5). And thats really it, i dont think they are gonna add new skins and all kinds of stuff, because if they were going to, i think they would have thought of that in the last 4 os's. Just my opinion.

I really think people are expecting like some huge changes here. Not that im any expert, but all i think is gonna happen is they will have their standard OS release. A new "aqua" wallpaper for the corrisponding os it is, some new apps, updated apps, some minor changes to some previous elements, and of course a new name and new number (10.5). And thats really it, i dont think they are gonna add new skins and all kinds of stuff, because if they were going to, i think they would have thought of that in the last 4 os's. Just my opinion.

It's been 6 years since Apple introduced Aqua. Since then, it's received steady evolutionary updates and modest visual tweaks.

Vista, whose look and feature set was noticably influenced by OS X and Aqua (which has been much-remarked in many reviews), was finally released, technically catching up with OS X in several areas, and loaded up with visual bling. As the alternative OS, Apple has to define itself by its difference.

At WWDC '06, Jobs flat-out stated, "there's stuff we can't show you yet", showed a big "Top Secret" slide, and proceeded to show a grab-bag of things that by and large pretty much were already announced for Vista (save -- ahem -- for an extraordinary new UI toolset, CoreAnimation). Interesting.

In Leopard there exists a private CoreUI framework that in current developer seeds houses a bundle named Aqua.

Aqua was a secret two-year project, and was introduced by it being dropped into a new developer release of OS X -- DR3 -- and presented at MSWF '00 with few, if any, developers having seen it before.

So, you decide.

Edited by lookmark

That's what Apple always do, they don't tell you anything until something is being released, or about to be released in a couple of days. If not for FCC application, we probably won't hear so much about iPhone; if not for Vista, we probably would've heard things about Leopard from MacRumours which Apple intentionally leaked instead.

Correct, Leopard's HFS+ has more indexing options.

Although, we already know that ZFS will be in Leopard, and that in 9a321 it was bootable if you took the time to do some really crazy hacking, accepted that most apps would not run and that you could NEVER reboot. Sure, the installation and rebooting limitations were entirely artificial due to crippling Disk Utility and Installer.

Now, you can not actually use ZFS on your system because it is not really ZFS but UDF (Not too helpful).

Given that it "worked" in the past, we must assume that it will be working in the final version.

The only reason why it was likely disabled in 9a321 was because Spotlight was completely dead, thus crippling Finder's search functionality and the file saving dialog box. It also did not work with Time Machine.

All of these issues could be explained by the apps not being updated to use ZFS' Metadata Lookup system. They freeze while waiting on a response and then crash after a timeout.

I never really bothered copying the ZFS modules from 321 and testing in 343. Given that we should hopefully be seeing a new build soon, I do not really see the reason to strive for it now when it probably will be completely unusable.

There must be a reason why they left ZFS as a placeholder with another working FS Module in it's place.

Back to weather or not Leo will have a new UI or not, just got the new iTunes 7.1, out today, and it all looks exactly the same as the old one, except coverflow which has a fullscreen option all in shiny black.... well i know that this has been available for ages using frontrow but my point is the UI is still standard aqua, so it would be really easy to just give it a whole new interface when leo is finally out.

As for any other features in leopard, i think its a good thing that they're keeping a bunch secret. Means we all get excited about stuff they've revealed like spaces and time machine, and when it does come out and we see some even better new stuff none of us can wait to get our hands on it. And who's better to publicize than the keen mac fan community getting all excited about it when our mates are round. Since my good friend Embio got a macbook last year, I have bought one and an iMac, and most of our other friends have either bought them or are in the process of buying them. Getting the geeks excited is one of the best marketing plans, and I have personally seen it in action, with at least £8000 being spent on macs since Embio got his and started evangelizing about how good it was.

ok rant over.....

the basic message being i think they are keeping some features secret, and with very good reason.

Plus look at the menu in time machine at the bottom, on the preview of leopard web page at apple.com. seems like its nicely black and shiny to me... maybe to fit in with the rest of a new UI?

Edited by cfhuk