[How To]Atheros AR5212 based cards, now w/ Leopard

consolation

384 posts in this topic

The two working kexts IONetworkingFamily 1.5 and IO80211Family 1.5.3 are attached. The latter one needs to be edited according to your Atheros card's IDs.

(a bit late perhaps but...)

thanks bugs - these kexts make my WG311T work straight away, no plist edits, no en0->en1 nonsense :(

What method on what system? Did you remember to fix up permissions? The blue screen lock up is usually a problem with appleSMBIOS.kext

You can always boot into single user mode with -s, delete the offending kexts; but these kext edits don't lock up your system - even if done badly - they just fail to make your wireless load.

Anyone can tell me a mini pci card that works with this method ?Thanks!Q

I AM FINALLY ONLINE VIA ATHEROS WLAN (PCMCIA) IN LEO - DARN .. ;) the solution for me was what Alucard69 had found out before: "I took all other device ids and only left mine in there and it worked fine" - referring to IO80211Family.kext/AirPortAtheros5424.kext/contents/Info.plist. Writing from Leo right now, connected to neighbours WEP-Net .. :rolleyes: via my Netgear 511 PCMCIA card (Atheros Chipset, forgot which one).Also I still have LAN and FW DHCP set to off, will switch that back 2 DHCP now.The connectivity is definitely better than in Tiger, they have worked on that! But still not as stable as in Windows (whyever)..The two working kexts IONetworkingFamily 1.5 and IO80211Family 1.5.3 are attached. The latter one needs to be edited according to your Atheros card's IDs.For PCMCIA glitchman's kexts (see sig) are still working. In the IOPCCardFamily.kext you need to swap ADP2,1 with Mac if you have successfully applied Netka's EFI bootloader + his AppleSMBIOS.kext 1.0.12. Need 2 hit the sack ..
My laptop has a PCMCIA slot but I'm not familiar with it. My router is 802.11g, will it detect the signal ? I doubts it, I read the specs on a PCMCIA card and it doesn't mention the 802.11 at all. Can you tell me more ?Q

Guys,

I think I found the simplest solution - at least it worked for me. Using Leo´s original kexts and a piece from Tiger.

First, I edited the Info.plist including 168c,1014 and it did detect my card. But it won´t enable it.

Then I copied the "AirPortEnabler.kext" directory, that is missing on the new driver, from Tiger - and it is working flawlessly... on my WPA network, and after some boots to make sure.

Obs: I did delete the Code*, but I am not sure if that´s needed.

System is a T60.

Hope this helps!

t. Then I copied the "AirPortEnabler.kext" directory, that is missing on the new driver, from Tiger - and it is working flawlessly... on my WPA network, and after some boots to make sure.Obs: I did delete the Code*, but I am not sure if that´s needed.
From which version of tiger is your kext? Feel free to attach it to your message. :(
Hi folks which you suggest to buy netgear WG311T or tlink WG651G ? just for a good osx86 experience.
Pretty much the same card AFAIK.

I followed the guide from the first post and i got my tp-link pci wlan card to work under leopard. Deleting all the other strings did the trick i'm using the toh kexts :) Thanks a lot, no need to use the tiger kexts! I rebooted 30 times and it's still working!

Hi, sorry. It was from Tiger 10.4.10, but the image already have some patch applied.

I remember I did install the Atheros 5004 package (or similar), but the 'enabler' was already there before I installed it.

I can't tell now because I screwed my Leopard install... I am getting chain boot error :censored2:

I only managed to boot leopard with a working tiger partition. As soon as I erased my Tiger Part, I got this message.

I guess it's because the Leo partition is extended and the 'boot loader' was on the tiger part, but not sure.

Sorry :)

FINALLY!! My Skyr@cer PCI Card with AR5212 Chip Works.. And Connects to my secure network on login:) no picking network manually.. Edited the IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/Contents/info.plist changed c to 3 and hurray..:blink:

Thanks to all the brilliant minds out there;)

Just an update, the time of working wlan with leopard kext seems to be over... I get kernel panics and os freezes everytime i try to boot... I'll go back to the tiger kexts.

Edit: After 7 reboots, it connected well to my network... i really don't understand. Once i get a kernel panic just after booting, then system freezes after trying to enable airport, and then i just work and connects at startup... i really really don't understand... If someone finds a stable solution wich can use the leopard kexts, would be great!!

Just an update, the time of working wlan with leopard kext seems to be over... I get kernel panics and os freezes everytime i try to boot... I'll go back to the tiger kexts.

Edit: After 7 reboots, it connected well to my network... i really don't understand. Once i get a kernel panic just after booting, then system freezes after trying to enable airport, and then i just work and connects at startup... i really really don't understand... If someone finds a stable solution wich can use the leopard kexts, would be great!!

I find it's all good as long as you use the Network Assistant to connect.

Got Iatkos working with WGR311 version 1 Ga-945gcmx, using the kext here (single file) and the instructions in the first post..

AUtomatically connects to WPA now..

thanks...

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=548337

SPoke too soon.. multiple password and airport on / off problems...

Switch to Broadcomm (Asus WL-138 v2) without any drviers and all is well..

Hey everyone. I'm using Kalyway PC EFI on a Dell E520 with a WG311 card. I only used the IO80211Family.kext from Bugs and it was recognized but could not be turned on. However, once I connected an ethernet cable to the system it started to work. I had to use the assistant to connect through WPA, but it did work and turn on after I connected the ethernet cable. I can disconnect the cable now, but for some reason that changed something. I'm the first to say that this shouldn't really make a difference, but it did for me, for some reason.

Hopefully we can figure out why we need the assistant, but at least it works!

Stevo

Hey everyone. I'm using Kalyway PC EFI on a Dell E520 with a WG311 card. I only used the IO80211Family.kext from Bugs and it was recognized but could not be turned on. However, once I connected an ethernet cable to the system it started to work. I had to use the assistant to connect through WPA, but it did work and turn on after I connected the ethernet cable. I can disconnect the cable now, but for some reason that changed something. I'm the first to say that this shouldn't really make a difference, but it did for me, for some reason.

Hopefully we can figure out why we need the assistant, but at least it works!

Stevo

Airport can't be eth0, I'm speculating here but, plugging your ethernet might have added a new device to your network.plist - bumping airport to eth1.

This method doesn't work in 10.5.1 with my WPN311 card. ;) I tried twice and never saw Airport in the Network preferences or System Profiler. Has someone managed to get this card running yet? Please let me know. :D

Which chipset does your card use? Have you tried a 10.4.8 kext, and added the interface in network prefs?

Actually, consolation, I have to mention that I actually have 2 wireless cards in the computer, one is this Netgear WPN311 (Atheros AR5212 chipset), and another Linksys WMP54G (RT2500 which is also not working)..however, in your guide you said that after the kexts have been editted with your device id, the Airport icon should be shown in the menu bar, but I do not even see that...what am I doing wrong? This has worked for me in 10.4.8 I think, but not anymore, please help!

I've TL-650G I have tried this method and its not working for me.Iam using TextWrangler to edit. maybe this is where I am going wrongHelp pleaseNote: my OS =10.5.1

Avoid text editors, they can mangle plists badly. I prefer to use nano in terminal, simply type sudo nano , drag your plist into the terminal and hit return. However, you'll need to be VERY CAREFUL about retaining the formatting and tabs. It's easier to use plist editor that comes with the developer tools on the install dvd. However, with it, you'll need to work on a copy and then move it into the extensions folder.

Attached is my kext, it should work for you as long as your device id is 168c,13 Delete the current kext before moving this one into the extensions folder.Then:

Start up terminal and type

cd /

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/

sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/

sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

Shutdown and restart, you airport should be detected. Go to system preferences/network, make sure you can see your ap, if not click the + button under the list to add it. Follow the instructions in 1st post to connect to secure networks.

good luck

I get a lot of messages asking where to add missing interfaces and icons. Go to Apple menu ->preferences ->network, then select the airport or add it. Screeny attached...

IO80211Family.kext.zip

post-57474-1199011232_thumb.jpg

Consolation, I re-read and followed the instructions 3 times now, but I still don't see Airport anywhere, not in the System Profile, not in the menubar and not in the Network preferences window when I add an interface... how do I fix this? :D I noticed that in my system profile, my LAN connection is called "en1" is that a problem? Should it not be "en0"?