Your Next Computer

Your next computer  

230 members have voted

1. 1. Which you will buy?

• Mac
    • PC

99 posts in this topic

Never owned a mac but currently have 2 hackintosh computers, switch to OSX on the day Vista was released after running a beta for months on a Dell laptop and a custom build desktop. I travel a lot and spent most of my time on the laptop so I will probbaly buy a MBP soon because some of the small things that just don't work probably with Dell Hack, like sleep, Due Core and the hassle with every patch to make everything work again.

As far as the desktop, I would love to own a Mac Pro 8 core but realistically for the money I can't justify it and I don't need it but would love one...it would look so cool in my home office with 30" Cinema Display....... I will probably just build the fastest hackintosh I can, just waiting to see what is gonna happened with Leopard - if we can't run it on a Hackintosh I might have to look at a Mac for the desktop too.

• 2 weeks later...

This is becoming a hugely relevant question for me at the moment. Money is tight, and after a record amount of hardware failiure this year, I'm reaching a situation where my main hackintosh is simply worn out. I'm still terribly disappointed that Apple haven't come up with a midrange desktop that might fit the bill, a mac pro is out of the question due to cost, and I don't want an iMac or mini because I dislike the cramped all-in-one design. It looks like it'll have to be a macbook, depending on what happens first: terminal failiure of my current hardware, major increases in income, the release of leopard etc..

Tough choices, but having something that is solidly reliable both in hardware & software is now no longer optional. I'd buy a mac pro if I could afford one.. maybe there will be some second-hand before long, but I won't hold my breath.

I just built my budget system .. PC since my old p4 3.0ghz died and I didnt have enough $$ to buy a Mac . but im saving now and waiting for the new macbookpro

I just bought a refurbished MacBook for $800 and its being shipped right now. My next desktop will be a quad core of octa core mac pro but that will be sometime from now probably when they are going out of style =)... It sucks to be a poor artist.

I will go PC , i cant think of a system withouth the latest games and given that the DX10 its near i just cant pick the mac, on the other hand i want a media center like the mini or apple tv but... thats not a computer.

ZۊLot

I build my own PC towers, have built six so far, all AMD powered. But now my wife wants a laptop so

i'll probably buy the Gateway MX7525 which should have no problems with Mac OS X 10.4.4 ***

being installed on it. So it will dual boot with PCLinuxOS 2007 just like my main rig does.

Yea, life is good.

Probably a PC. My CX210X is working wonderfully, but eventually I'll shell out the cash for a quad-core.

That is, unless they sell a mobile quad core, then I'd replace the Core 2 Duo with it. Highly doubt four cores could do anything on a 667Mhz bus though.

I'm looking to buy an Acer 3680, with celeron M and use it as a hackintosh, for about $500. This should tide me over while I save up for a real Mac, something like a early 2008 model Macbook, which should have LED backlighting, run Leopard, and have a 45nm Intel Chip in, HELL YEAH!

probably an old G4 PowerBook 12" as a second notebook, because my 15,4" MBP is too big for daily using it outside my house (taking to the uni and work). Also looking forward to get some money to buy 20" LCD

Anxiously waiting to buy a Mac.

I'm hesitant due to the limited graphic cards in iMacs and the expected upgrades coming.

Be nice if there was a model with the features of the iMac without the monitor.

I already have a top notch 20" widescreen LCD but the Mac Mini is too underpowered and the Mac Pro is more than I need and too much $$$

I don't think I will be in the market for a new PC for a while but the one I got right now is pretty close to a dream machine

Intel Core 2 Duo e6600 OCd to 3ghz stable with stock cooling

Asus p5n-e sli motherboard lapped heatsinks on NB and SB

2x1gb ddr2 800 with heatspreaders

nVidia GeForce 8800GTX

250gb 7200rpm 16mb cache main hdd

200gb 7200rpm 8mb cache backup hdd

sata lightscribe dvd+/-rw burner

120mm fan in from

120mm fan in rear

80mm fan in side panel

80mm fan over NB

What would make my system a dream machine is if I had a raid array with 10k rpm drives, core 2 extreme qx6700, 680i motherboard running 8800GTXs in SLI, dangerden watercooling for the vid cards, NB, SB, and CPU. And of course I would need a 30" dell lcd to enjoy it all. I can dream right?

I realy want an iMac, because they look nice and osx is perfect (almost). But the grapics card in an imac is crappy and I want to play games.

My guess is that Apple will come with a new apple desktop (I hope an iMac) which has an improved graphics card. Because I read somewhere that Apple hired (some) men to make osx ready for gaming, and that's all very good but with a crappy video card it doesn't make much sense.

So I realy hope there will be a new iMac soon and then, if I have enough money:P, I'll buy it.