HOW TO: Get the Sapphire X1950XT(id7244) and X1900XT (id7249) to work NOT THE PRO (Jccool Method)

jccool

804 posts in this topic

hallo folks,

first i have to say thank you JCCOOL!! good work.

i am totally with jonny2k. now it´s time for the X1950 pro :(

so, jccool what can we do, to get you on our side? :)

have a 10.4.6 installed an it works so far. my (X1950pro) diviceid is 7280 and i tryed

to install the X1950XT+Installer+0.3.pkg. i am normaly a windows-user, thats why i love installer.

now i have all resolutions on dvi to choose, very very nice.

now i would like to get QE and CI to work.

dbasta

Hello,

I really would like to see the X1950 pro working but you see 7280 (pro) is not coded or included in apple's X1000 driver, what iam doing for the others is bypassing efi. If I see that 7280 is ever included then there may be a way but also please understand that I only own an X1950XT and don't really have a way to test a pro because I don't own one. I created a fix for my card and it happened to work for 7249 aswell,

I'am personally very happy with my current acomplishment and very glad I'v been able to help so many people,

Thank You for understanding,

Edited by jccool

hallo folks,

first i have to say thank you JCCOOL!! good work.

i am totally with jonny2k. now it´s time for the X1950 pro :huh:

so, jccool what can we do, to get you on our side? :whistle:

have a 10.4.6 installed an it works so far. my (X1950pro) diviceid is 7280 and i tryed

to install the X1950XT+Installer+0.3.pkg. i am normaly a windows-user, thats why i love installer.

now i have all resolutions on dvi to choose, very very nice.

now i would like to get QE and CI to work.

dbasta

you mean you have a working x1950pro with resolution change possible? how about multi-monitors?

i plan on using this under latest Jas 10.4.8.

he jccool,

thx for your fast answer. i think the difference between these cards are xt= pcie and the pro version =agp.

maybe you have an idea - i´ll test it for you :(

again tank you for that, and i hope, you will keep an eye on this problem.

dbasta

my icq:104784629

Hi,

you see, weather it is agp or not, it doesn't make a difference, it is the x1000 kext that has a kernel panic (from what I infer) the only way to fix this is for apple to modify the driver and add new values, otherwise, there isn't much I can really do, qe and ci are important and they are ran using the x1000 kext, this is independent of res support which is achieved with atindrv,

I guess pro users will have to wait or upgrade to an XT which outputs incredible hackintosh performance!

I really would like to help about the pro but please everyone understand that there isn't much I can do,

Thank You,

Hi,

I'm not sure about this, it never happened to me,

are you using jccool installer 0.3.pkg?

do you have 10.4.8?

you could also try deleting atix1000.kext, atix1000ga.plugin and reinstalling the driver,

Thank you,

yeah am using your 0.3 installer. but am on 10.4.7..looks like its time to move onto 10.4.8 then!!!!

But first ill give it a go with deleting the files and reinstalling the driver, and let you know how that goes on.

Appreciate the quick reply mate, cheers

Wonderful, Thanks a lot jccool!!!! :(

Dvi and dual monitor work with my sapphire x1950xtx but i can't specify my main monitor.

OSX chose my CRT connected on a dvi-vga adapter as my main monitor and my lcd connected on a dvi as an extended moniteur.

How can solve this?

I solve It.

Jccool you are Coooooooool.

Thanks again.

@++

Edited by Kartman

Hi, I have an x1900 All in Wonder id 7249. Using JaS 10.4.8 I get QE/CI @ 1024x768 /w mouse tearing out of the box.

The card itself has one DVI port and one 'Breakout' cable that has a VGA and VIVO connectors. When I use the JCcool method (aswell as boris and natit methods) I get a black screen on both the DVI and VGA connectors. I have not tried a DVI>VGA adapter yet because I dont have one atm. I noticed some posts about swapping in an old version of ATINDRV.kext from 10.4.5 but as soon as I do that I get the same black screen. I remember I used to get full support on 10.4.6 through the VGA connection.

Any help would be awsome. Thanks

Edit: Got It Werkin! JCcool your the man! Used version .3 installer.

Works via vga on breakout cable with bad gamma, used switchres x to add my widescreen res. strange thing is that it detects my monitor over the dvi cable and its EDID capabilites and says its online but there is just a black screen/powersave mode, any ideas?

Cheers

(yer the man)

Edited by buglamp

I am new to OSx86 and mac in general. I have a Radeon X1950XT with id 7240 on JaS 10.4.8. I installed 0.3 pkg and it definitely works better, but I wonder if it is acting as it should since it does not have id 7244. I can now change the resolution, use the DVI and there are no more artifacts. I am not sure what exactly QE/CI is or how to test if it is working.

One thing I did notice is that the fan on the video card is running at full speed, where as in Windows, it would adjust depending on the load on the card. The fan started doing this just after I installed the 0.3 pkg. It was quiet when it was using the generic drivers. I believe that on the X1900XT the fan would not auto-adjust. Is my X1950XT pretending to be a X1900XT since it has id 7240? Is there a way to quiet the fan when it is not needed?

Edited by spicedHam

Hello Spiced Ham,

With my expiriance, the fan usually revs up for 1 second during osx spinning wheel then it calms down. I dont think it is normal for it to stay reved. I also dont think it is normal for your dev id to be 7240, this is uniquly the x1900xt's number as is 7249, what brand is it? I have expirianced best results with Sapphire. I havnt expirianced this so I cant really help, Google is your friend, Good Luck,

Btw, QE stands for Quartz Extreme and CI stands for Core Image, these are kinda like the mac equivilant to Direct 3D. these are hardware acceloration functions,

Edited by jccool

Thanks jccool

My card is an Asus. The card looks like it was an ATI branded card that just had an Asus label place on top of the ATI one.

<Scratch that>

Actualy while writing this, I found something out. The card I have is a X1950XTX, with the X at the end. Mine is a EAX1950XTX/HTVDP/512M. I did not realize that there was a difference. Maybe that is why it has a different number. It is strange that it has the same id as a X1900XT.

After realizing my mistake, I did a search on the forum and found someone with the exact same card as mine, and the fan does run at 100%. This person just used a modified natit kext file. Here is the link

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=268158

Does the 0.3 pkg contain this file and that is why my card works? Is there any harm in using this as opposed to just the kext file?

Hello,

Ah yes this makes far more sense, The XTX IS known to do this, also yes my driver does contain a form of natit but it is modded so that the 1950XT can work as well as my modded atindrv that fixed artifacts for the xt, because this driver was intended for the 1950xt and 1900xt 7249, coincidentally, other ones seem to work with it but sometimes not perfectly, if I had an XTX i'd spend some time debugging and trying to get it goin as well as the others (although it seems to be doing alright apart from the fan) but i don't own one and my budget does not permit to obtain one,

thank you,

Thanks for the hard work and advice jccool! Once I become a little more familiar with the kexts, I plan on trying to fix any bugs and turn off the tornado that forms behind my computer.

Hello Roger,

From my first impression the 0.3 pkg seems to work with my X1950XTX. I got my system up and running around 3:00 AM and called it a night, so I was not able to fully test it. As I mentioned earlier, the only obvious thing is that the fan runs all of the time. It sounds like a vaccuum cleaner.

Here is a hint if you are installing JaS 10.4.8 from scratch; do not load any of the generic X1x00XT ATI drivers. My system would not boot with those installed. I just installed the base system an the AMD SSE2 SSE3 package (use the intel one if you have an intel proc). You can load jccool's package after you have your system up and running.

Edited by spicedHam

Hello,

With this installer version 3, you now get FULL DVI and DUAL MONITOR SUPPORT!!!

Works for both X1950XT 7244 and X1900XT 7249

Should also give resolution support for the X1950 Pro (7280) not qe/ci though

You will get full qe/ci/rotat/openGL/res change support dual dvi and dual monitor

Enjoy

Here is the link

http://upload2.net/page/download/5QsL813nn....3.pkg.zip.html

Below is what mine looks like @ 1280x720

Feel free to post your results here

Can anybody help me? I installed this and now my computer wont boot back up. It hangs at the apple screen after a few seconds. I was previously using the ati drivers from the JAS 10.4.8 installer which I took off the DVD with Pacifier, and most everything was working. I has res change support and most applications were running, but in an attempt to fix a couple that were not working I downloaded and installed this. I thought I had the X1900, but it is X1600 which is why I am assuming it isnt working. I was just wondering if there was a way to "uninstall" this so that I can go back to my original settings? I can not get into the OS so it will have to be done in single user mode I am assuming. If anyone can help it would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Hello,

there is no uninstaller because the intension is that it will be used with a compatible card,

you can try -s then mount with uv privillages (there are guides on how to do this) and once your localuser root,

sudo rm /system/library/extensions/Natit.kext

then sudo rm /system/library/extensions/ATINDRV.kext

then type reboot (or reboot your pc)

this should get it working if not, reinstall,

hey jccool, me again :)

reckon you could email me over an x1600 tester again, seeing as you seemed to have made some great advances with your work

I've been talking to other people, the problem seems to lie with the following

ATI Radeon X1600 512MB PCIe through VGA on 10.4.8 with 8.8.1 kernel

Edited by aNILEator

Hello,

there is no uninstaller because the intension is that it will be used with a compatible card,

you can try -s then mount with uv privillages (there are guides on how to do this) and once your localuser root,

sudo rm /system/library/extensions/Natit.kext

then sudo rm /system/library/extensions/ATINDRV.kext

then type reboot (or reboot your pc)

this should get it working if not, reinstall,

You are the man. That worked. I lost the Res support, but I think I can get it back since I can now get back into my system. Thanks sincerly for all your help.