Glasgood's macOS Mojave [SUCCESS][GUIDE] for Aorus Z390 Pro

glasgood
1,582 posts in this topic

23 hours ago, tasc said:

Thanks, I've taken @larabee's advice and swtiched the RX560 to slot 1. I was initially worried about a performance difference using the x16 vs x8 lane, but that turns out to not really matter. In fact, both cards are running at x8 anyways regardless of what slot they are in.

@larabee do you do anything to disable the nvidia card in macos or just ignore it?

@tasc sorry for the late reply, i was away on vacation. I didn’t disable the nv card but you can do that. I have no issue witn any acceleration because the amd card is in slot 1. 

You can do one quick test: get final cut to export project as h264 and see if it’s working fast. That’s my final test to see my intel HD card is working. 

You will see weird purple lines appear on screen before the apple logo but it’s totally normal. 

For radeon VII, I encounter random blackout if my intel card is not injecting properly (error witn ATIframebuffer). It’s a known problem, radeon VII needs a helper card to initiate frame buffer.

8 hours ago, neurus said:

@larabee Are you still using VGTAB to manipulate voltage and fan speed? I heard Mojave 10.14.5 is doing a great job on that? link to post about VGTab (read the beginning)Can I use the same device properties as yours or they are dependent on the card manufacturer? If so how do you find the values to inject in the config.plist device properties?

Thanks

@neurus I’m still using it just for under volting the core and overclocking the memory to 900mhz. It gains me an extra 20% performance in benchmark such as Unigine. I occasionally play games on my hackintosh (total war 3 kingdoms) because Im too lazy to restart, and overclocking the card helps with the frame rates. 

If you don’t need extra 3d performance, you dont need any extra modifications. 10.14.5 works wonder. 

Edited by larabee
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, tasc said:

And the 30 second delay at boot is there every time. I switched it back to 0300923E and it boots fast again. I also checked VideoProc, and it shows everything working and accelerated, so not sure what to make of this on the i7-9700k.

This delay issue has been solved now by upgrading to lilu 1.3.6 from 1.3.4.

• Like 1

@glasgood Have you seen something similar to this. I'm getting this error randomly but one simple restart can get rid of it. 

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3439.thumb.jpg.02483fef59c40396747957e171e80d76.jpg

On another totally different topic, I've tested 3 most popular SMBIOS to see how my rig performs under different system definitions. The results are as followings: 

53106223_ScreenShot2019-06-17at4_44_39PM.thumb.png.95863dab7bf87ae4e4215f673dc88bff.png

Settings are the same, except for iMac Pro 1.1, the iGPU is completely disabled in Bios. 

I've had some frame drops with iMac Pro Smbios while playing games, but it is crushing 18.3 and 19.1 in Final Cut Pro because hardware encoding in Vega is being used in iMac Pro. Because Vega encoder is somewhat faster than Intel, it directly translates into better performance. 

Note: I'm using Vega 56 overclocking to match Vega 64 performance. This is by no mean a scientific test and your results may differ. This test is performed just to show how different system definition affect performance. 

Edited by larabee
  • Like 1

Well, I am now up and running with my new Hackintosh thanks too your brilliant guide and help! Similar setup apart from a Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming, but I used you pre install Clover which worked great followed by a combination of your main Post and the X post folders and then some tweaks. Pretty much everything working very well! So, a big thanks from me for posting this guide.

I do have a couple of minor things which I don't know if you have come across? Firstly, when sleeping / waking, external disks get ejected and I get the "did not eject properly" message. I did some searching and found a supposed USB fix, but that didn't't work for me. Have you come across that at all?

The other is that every 3rd or 4th boot I get a Kernel Panic message. Not a major issue as I don't reboot a lot (just with installing a lot of apps I have done). The problem is I have 3 4k monitors and the test is so tiny (and goes by so fast) I cannot see what is wrong. Is there a bootr log somewhere that you can look at to narrow down the Panic do you know? 

Again, thanks so much for this, it gave me the confidence to actually go ahead and do it. I can't quite believe how fast this thing is compared to my 2013 Mac Pro.!

10 hours ago, soniferous_fox said:

I do have a couple of minor things which I don't know if you have come across? Firstly, when sleeping / waking, external disks get ejected and I get the "did not eject properly" message. I did some searching and found a supposed USB fix, but that didn't't work for me. Have you come across that at all?

I don't normally keep external USB storage media attached to my Hack as i mainly use my NAS device. After reading your message,  I attached an external USB device and put Hack to sleep and did encounter the "did not eject properly" message.

To fix this use fixUSB.sh   ( Credit to Bernhard Baehr & syscl )  install open terminal:

1- Copy and paste :

// command will download the latest fixUSB.sh

git clone https://github.com/syscl/Fix-usb-sleep

Enter

2- Copy and paste:

chmod +x ~/Fix-usb-sleep/fixUSB.sh

Enter

3- Copy and paste:

cd ./Fix-usb-sleep
./fixusb.sh

Enter

1616739613_Screenshot2019-06-18at09_37_24.png.5cccf4fe240c66d12c0e9f264816e32d.png

Then press Ok, shutdown and restart and test. External storage will be still be mounted on wake from sleep.

11 hours ago, soniferous_fox said:

The other is that every 3rd or 4th boot I get a Kernel Panic message. Not a major issue as I don't reboot a lot (just with installing a lot of apps I have done). The problem is I have 3 4k monitors and the test is so tiny (and goes by so fast) I cannot see what is wrong. Is there a bootr log somewhere that you can look at to narrow down the Panic do you know? 

As you are using the Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming then try using a different driver, the Aorus Pro seems very fussy about driver used. You might be better removing OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi and testing out ApfsDriverLoader-64.efi. Have a look at Maldon's Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming Guide .

:) 

11 hours ago, larabee said:

Have you seen something similar to this. I'm getting this error randomly but one simple restart can get rid of it. 

@larabee

What I have noticed over a period of time when compiling this guide, is that when troubleshooting, changing settings in Clover and BIOS,  then sometimes I would receive a random boot error.  But after a restart the error would be gone, and only time I would reappear would be when Clover and BIOS settings are changed. 

----------------------------------------------

11 hours ago, larabee said:

On another totally different topic, I've tested 3 most popular SMBIOS to see how my rig performs under different system definitions. The results are as followings: 

53106223_ScreenShot2019-06-17at4_44_39PM.thumb.png.95863dab7bf87ae4e4215f673dc88bff.png

Settings are the same, except for iMac Pro 1.1, the iGPU is completely disabled in Bios. 

I've had some frame drops with iMac Pro Smbios while playing games, but it is crushing 18.3 and 19.1 in Final Cut Pro because hardware encoding in Vega is being used in iMac Pro. Because Vega encoder is somewhat faster than Intel, it directly translates into better performance. 

Thanks
:thumbsup_anim:

12 hours ago, tasc said:

This delay issue has been solved now by upgrading to lilu 1.3.6 from 1.3.4.

Thanks for point this out :)

4 hours ago, glasgood said:

I don't normally keep external USB storage media attached to my Hack as i mainly use my NAS device. After reading your message,  I attached an external USB device and put Hack to sleep and did encounter the "did not eject properly" message.

To fix this use fixUSB.sh   ( Credit to Bernhard Baehr & syscl )  install open terminal:

As you are using the Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming then try using a different driver, the Aorus Pro seems very fussy about driver used. You might be better removing OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi and testing out ApfsDriverLoader-64.efi. Have a look at Maldon's Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming Guide .

Thanks. I already tried that fix and it didn't work for me, I may well have to give the Jettison app a go.

I'll try that driver as well. I did actually use Maldon's EFI to start with and kept getting a No Entry sign, so I switched to your Pre and it installed. Then I tried his EFI again and I just got the No entry again on boot, so went back to your :)

8 minutes ago, soniferous_fox said:

Thanks. I already tried that fix and it didn't work for me, I may well have to give the Jettison app a go.

I'll try that driver as well. I did actually use Maldon's EFI to start with and kept getting a No Entry sign, so I switched to your Pre and it installed. Then I tried his EFI again and I just got the No entry again on boot, so went back to your :)

@soniferous_fox

Possibly because your USB Ports may need fixed, use Hackintool and create USBPorts.kext and remove USBInjectAll.kext, then  remove all USB related SSDT's from Clover ACPI / Patched folder. 

Uncheck USB from devices. The FixUSB.sh script definitely works with macOS 10.14.5

Uncheck Devices / USB

461785318_Screenshot2019-06-18at15_04_00.thumb.png.e949e35a5dd15974be18bcce17dc86c3.png

Quick look at info.plist from USBPorts.kext, the model matches my current SMBIOS for iMac 19,1,and it has the extra USB power properties. I just recently stopped using USBInjectAll.kext and SSDT's,  USBPorts.kext seems better solution, as it integrates ports and power fix into the one kext. 

1983648258_Screenshot2019-06-18at15_05_41.thumb.png.66ed46137d2152365a66e731fea05907.png

16 hours ago, larabee said:

This is awesome!! I saw something like that in a YouTube video while ago.

I wanted to see if it was possible with my GPU (RX590) but I think it's not :( 

Made some research and could't even find people trying haha

1 hour ago, mfortuna said:

This is awesome!! I saw something like that in a YouTube video while ago.

I wanted to see if it was possible with my GPU (RX590) but I think it's not :( 

Made some research and could't even find people trying haha

You're using Rx590 which is just a overclocked RX580 in a nutshell. You're better off with QuickSync on. 

----------------

6 hours ago, glasgood said:

@larabee

What I have noticed over a period of time when compiling this guide, is that when troubleshooting, changing settings in Clover and BIOS,  then sometimes I would receive a random boot error.  But after a restart the error would be gone, and only time I would reappear would be when Clover and BIOS settings are changed. 

I'm pretty sure I didn't make any changes to the bios or clover when this happen. I will try to replicate this issue by just stress testing the card , then do quick restart. It tends to happen right after a long session of gaming on Windows. Possibly a faulty card I have. 

5 hours ago, glasgood said:

@soniferous_fox

Possibly because your USB Ports may need fixed, use Hackintool and create USBPorts.kext and remove USBInjectAll.kext, then  remove all USB related SSDT's from Clover ACPI / Patched folder. 

Uncheck USB from devices. The FixUSB.sh script definitely works with macOS 10.14.5

Uncheck Devices / USB

461785318_Screenshot2019-06-18at15_04_00.thumb.png.e949e35a5dd15974be18bcce17dc86c3.png

Quick look at info.plist from USBPorts.kext, the model matches my current SMBIOS for iMac 19,1,and it has the extra USB power properties. I just recently stopped using USBInjectAll.kext and SSDT's,  USBPorts.kext seems better solution, as it integrates ports and power fix into the one kext. 

1983648258_Screenshot2019-06-18at15_05_41.thumb.png.66ed46137d2152365a66e731fea05907.png

Thanks! I am actually using the USB port limit patch under Kernels and Kets, should I get rid of that too if I do the above?

5 minutes ago, soniferous_fox said:

Thanks! I am actually using the USB port limit patch under Kernels and Kets, should I get rid of that too if I do the above?

Yeah, just disable or remove the ports limit patch after you create USBPorts.kext.

7 hours ago, glasgood said:

Just checking; I know there's instruction in Hackintool, but can I also follow your guide here: 

It's just you mention SSDT's on that, but I presume that's changed?

Also, just to clarify, does it really matter whether you set to USB3 or USB2 when they are all USB 3? I am thinking that if things get moved around in the ports or changed, it could mess things up unless they are just set to USB3? I realise the internal one for Bluetooth has to be set to internal and the USB-C correctly as well. Oh, and should the front ones that are connected to the Motherboard be set to internal?

6 hours ago, soniferous_fox said:

Just checking; I know there's instruction in Hackintool, but can I also follow your guide here: 

It's just you mention SSDT's on that, but I presume that's changed?

Also, just to clarify, does it really matter whether you set to USB3 or USB2 when they are all USB 3? I am thinking that if things get moved around in the ports or changed, it could mess things up unless they are just set to USB3? I realise the internal one for Bluetooth has to be set to internal and the USB-C correctly as well. Oh, and should the front ones that are connected to the Motherboard be set to internal?

When you map out the ports following guide, hackintool will output both SSDT's and USBPorts.kext.  In the guide, I previously used the SSDT's that it created, but now use USBPorts.kext. 

Set:

USB 2.0 ports as USB2

USB 3.0 ports as USB3

Internal motherboard USB 2.0 header as Internal

USB3.0 Ports on motherboard that are connected to case / chasis as USB3

Hey there,

I tried your guide and followed it carefully but I'm running into a problem at the osx install:  I made the USB installer, changed the bios settings and plugged it into the new machine.  However if I try to select the UEFI of the USB installer in the boot selector, I get the Aorus logo and it just sent me back to the boot selector again.. Is this problem known to you? 

edit: ok so I changed my smbios to imac 19.1 

now it shows a black screen with some white horizontal lines before it boots into clover. 

In clover I have the option to boot from usb, 2 preboot options, boot Mac OS from osx (previous install). 

Booting both from the USB as the OSX option get me the following error:

Error allocating 0x#### pages at 0x####alloc type 2

I already tried to use the post install EFI from your guide. it gives me the same result. 

And I unplugged every other disk except for the 970.

Tried these bios changes without succes:

platform power management - disabled -> enabled 

Erp - enabled -> disabled

Could it be that its not working because my USB drive is 3.0 instead of 2.0?

(ordered a 16gb 2.0, hoping to receive it tomorow)

A little bit of background info:

- osx was already installed but sleep was not functioning, my ssd's where slow and the USB Drives where not mapped. 

I tried to fix it and bricked it by replacing the EFI Folder from a tonymac guide.  Now it simply boots into the no parking sign.

-  I'd prefer to get my current install up and running without having to reinstall but If that's what it takes then I have no problem with it. 

Gigabyte Z390 AORUS PRO WIFI

I9-9900k

Corsair vengeance lox 32gb 3200mhz

Sapphire Radeon RX Vega 56 8gb

Samsung 970 EVO M.2 500gb (osx)

Let me know if any other info is required, thank you in advance!

Edited by bleedingstar

4 hours ago, bleedingstar said:

Hey there,

I tried your guide and followed it carefully but I'm running into a problem at the osx install:  I made the USB installer, changed the bios settings and plugged it into the new machine.  However if I try to select the UEFI of the USB installer in the boot selector, I get the Aorus logo and it just sent me back to the boot selector again.. Is this problem known to you? 

I already tried to use the post install EFI from your guide. it gives me the same result. 

And I unplugged every other disk except for the 970.

Tried these bios changes without succes:

platform power management - disabled -> enabled 

Erp - enabled -> disabled

Could it be that its not working because my USB drive is 3.0 instead of 2.0?

(ordered a 16gb 2.0, hoping to receive it tomorow)

A little bit of background info:

- osx was already installed but sleep was not functioning, my ssd's where slow and the USB Drives where not mapped. 

I tried to fix it and bricked it by replacing the EFI Folder from a tonymac guide.  Now it simply boots into the no parking sign.

-  I'd prefer to get my current install up and running without having to reinstall but If that's what it takes then I have no problem with it. 

Gigabyte Z390 AORUS PRO WIFI

I9-9900k

Corsair vengeance lox 32gb 3200mhz

Sapphire Radeon RX Vega 56 8gb

Samsung 970 EVO M.2 500gb (osx)

Let me know if any other info is required, thank you in advance!

Hi,

On the USB installer there are two partitions, one partition with macOS Majave installer and second with Clover EFI boot image, you want to ensure you choose the partition on USB that starts with UEFI:   (No 2 in screen shot below )

737099271_Screenshot2019-06-19at17_26_34.png.b9ce2885261cb0437031213ce7e02eec.png

for instance, choosing the wrong partition, example Generic Flash Disk 8.07 on the USB installer will result in the Aorus logo appearing:

996373937_Screenshot2019-06-19at17_26_14.png.1270d89b30bc262d2004f9214a354df4.png

followed by a redirect back to boot menu, as per below.

1235859652_Screenshot2019-06-19at17_26_34.png.563e3f69d6972af51f817d586c7d7c29.png

Selecting UEFI: partition you would arrive at Clover boot Screen:

screenshot1.thumb.png.6d7e80da7fe1b237118a13984a4d2d14.png

USB 3.0 installer should work, did you try alternative USB ports. 

Please ensure you create USB installer as per this guide and it will work, double check that you placed the EFI folder inside the EFI partition.

Screenshot 2019-06-19 at 17.37.25.png

Edited by glasgood

A bit of related question, but I don't suppose you are aware if it is possible to hide certain audio devices from MacOS from Clover do you? So for example, if I don't want to see the DisplayPort outputs of my 3 monitors, as I never use them. I know on an actual Mac there is no way to do it, but wonder if there might be a hack that could? No big issue, though I'd ask in case you had heard of it being done!

Cheers. 

10 minutes ago, soniferous_fox said:

A bit of related question, but I don't suppose you are aware if it is possible to hide certain audio devices from MacOS from Clover do you? So for example, if I don't want to see the DisplayPort outputs of my 3 monitors, as I never use them. I know on an actual Mac there is no way to do it, but wonder if there might be a hack that could? No big issue, though I'd ask in case you had heard of it being done!

Cheers. 

Sorry, not something i'm aware of. 

12 hours ago, glasgood said:

Hi,

On the USB installer there are two partitions, one partition with macOS Majave installer and second with Clover EFI boot image, you want to ensure you choose the partition on USB that starts with UEFI:   (No 2 in screen shot below )

737099271_Screenshot2019-06-19at17_26_34.png.b9ce2885261cb0437031213ce7e02eec.png

for instance, choosing the wrong partition, example Generic Flash Disk 8.07 on the USB installer will result in the Aorus logo appearing:

996373937_Screenshot2019-06-19at17_26_14.png.1270d89b30bc262d2004f9214a354df4.png

followed by a redirect back to boot menu, as per below.

1235859652_Screenshot2019-06-19at17_26_34.png.563e3f69d6972af51f817d586c7d7c29.png

Selecting UEFI: partition you would arrive at Clover boot Screen:

screenshot1.thumb.png.6d7e80da7fe1b237118a13984a4d2d14.png

USB 3.0 installer should work, did you try alternative USB ports. 

Please ensure you create USB installer as per this guide and it will work, double check that you placed the EFI folder inside the EFI partition.

Screenshot 2019-06-19 at 17.37.25.png

Thank you for the speedy reply. 

I tried both the usb as the efi of the usb, both got me back in to the boot select screen. 

The first fix that got me closer was changing my smbios to iMac 19.1, I assumed that would fit my system better as I have an i9900k and a Vega-56.

The result then was that selecting the efi got me a strange green 3/D clover screen but every option there led me to the no parking sign. 

The next thing I tried was add a Vega 56 kext from a different build guide, switched virtualsmc with fakesmc and tried again. 

Its booting now, and although I haven't had the time to test everything at least the ssd speeds are finally as they should be!

31 minutes ago, bleedingstar said:

Thank you for the speedy reply. 

I tried both the usb as the efi of the usb, both got me back in to the boot select screen. 

The first fix that got me closer was changing my smbios to iMac 19.1, I assumed that would fit my system better as I have an i9900k and a Vega-56.

The result then was that selecting the efi got me a strange green 3/D clover screen but every option there led me to the no parking sign. 

The next thing I tried was add a Vega 56 kext from a different build guide, switched virtualsmc with fakesmc and tried again. 

Its booting now, and although I haven't had the time to test everything at least the ssd speeds are finally as they should be!

Can you attach your EFI folder.

2 hours ago, glasgood said:

Can you attach your EFI folder.

This is my EFI folder before doing any post-install changes. (deleted the APPLE folder because of upload size limit)

I'm now going to try to replace this folder with your post folder, and I'll add the VegaTab_56.kext and replace virtualsmc with fakesmc. 

I was comparing the config.plist of the pre and post EFI folders and I'm noticing a lot of changes. I would be curious to know the motivation behind them, do you have some info on this? Or maybe a good source where I can read some more about it? 

EDIT: I replaced my EFI Folder (the one attached) with the post install EFI from the guide, and added the vegetab_56 and the fakesmc as mentioned above. The system booted but after a minute or two it went into sleep mode, and on restart gave me a kernel panic. 

I then tried to just use the Post Install EFI without my additions, same story. 

I reverted back to the EFI Folder from before and its not booting again.

Strangely every time I startup I get asked to login to ICLOUD again. 

EFI - backup 20-06.zip

Edited by bleedingstar

19 minutes ago, bleedingstar said:

This is my EFI folder before doing any post-install changes. (deleted the APPLE folder because of upload size limit)

I'm now going to try to replace this folder with your post folder, and I'll add the VegaTab_56.kext and replace virtualsmc with fakesmc. 

I was comparing the config.plist of the pre and post EFI folders and I'm noticing a lot of changes. I would be curious to know the motivation behind them, do you have some info on this? Or maybe a good source where I can read some more about it? 

EFI - backup 20-06.zip

Try using this EFI as your post install ==> POST-INSTALL Aorus Pro Z390 EFI - AMD.zip