Nvidia Web Driver updates for macOS High Sierra (UPDATE Nov 13, 2020)

fantomas
2,046 posts in this topic

Sure. By the way, I successfully installed 10.13.4 Beta 2 (build 17E150f) and I'm using patched Nvidia Driver .104. So far so good.

So, just so you know, in case you want to give this method a try.

@fabiosun, just tried the script and got everything working on 10.13.4 Beta 2. So...thank you. :)

where did u get that driver 

where did u get that driver 

The official one you can find on the first page of this thread. 

Nvidia Web Driver - 378.10.10.10.25.104 --> build 17C205 (thanks to ReddestDream)

The patched version I made myself using the script that fabiosun posted above. :) Believe me, it's pretty easy and fun to use.

If you choose this way, don't forget to disable SIP. I'm saying this over and over again, because it does make a ton of difference. At least it did to me. So yeah, disable SIP, then get to work. :)

By the way, although there are newer versions of the Nvidia Driver (as you will probably notice if you access the first page), I DO NOT recommend to use them.

Many people (including myself) have had performance issues with drivers .156/.157 (basically drivers for 10.13.3) in the form of lag in animations, opening apps and stuff like that. I tried to deal with it myself. But after a while, it became really annoying. So I first switched back to 10.13.2 and, after a while, I went to 10.13.3 again, but keeping the same Nvidia Driver.

So, in other words, if you want to avoid future headaches, do yourself a favour and skip those drivers for the time being. 

• Like 1

Nvidia Web Driver - 378.10.10.10.25.104 --> build 17C205 (thanks to ReddestDream)

The patched version I made myself using the script that fabiosun posted above. :) Believe me, it's pretty easy and fun to use.

If you choose this way, don't forget to disable SIP. I'm saying this over and over again, because it does make a ton of difference. At least it did to me. So yeah, disable SIP, then get to work. :)

By the way, although there are newer versions of the Nvidia Driver (as you will probably notice if you access the first page), I DO NOT recommend to use them.

Many people (including myself) have had performance issues with drivers .156/.157 (basically drivers for 10.13.3) in the form of lag in animations, opening apps and stuff like that. I tried to deal with it myself. But after a while, it became really annoying. So I first switched back to 10.13.2 and, after a while, I went to 10.13.3 again, but keeping the same Nvidia Driver.

So, in other words, if you want to avoid future headaches, do yourself a favour and skip those drivers for the time being. 

thanks, i will it test out right now 

i get this error = Mac OS X version 10.13.4 (17E150f) is not supported with this package. Please see NVIDIA’s website for further driver information.

thanks, i will it test out right now 

i get this error = Mac OS X version 10.13.4 (17E150f) is not supported with this package. Please see NVIDIA’s website for further driver information.

First patch, then install. :)

You're already on 17E150f. If you don't patch the driver before installing it, since the driver is not made for that build, it will show this error. So, as I said above, first patch the driver, then install it. Otherwise you will always get that error.

wat program do i patch it with, let me guess the nvda web driver updater 1.5  

I can let you guess. But you would be wrong.

As I said above, you need to use the script that fabiosun posted above.

Here is the link to the post, in case you missed it: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/324195-nvidia-web-driver-updates-for-macos-high-sierra-update-01252018/?p=2587217

what build version do i use 

There you go. You're getting closer. Good job.

You need to use the one of the MacOS build you want to patch for. In this case: 17E150f

It's like saying: I want the driver to be compatible with [THIS] build. In this case, of course, you want it to be compatible with the build you're currently on. That's what the patch does. It "convinces" the driver to work with a build it wasn't meant for.

In between the brackets in the screenshot below, you will probably notice it suggests 17D47, because that's the build I'm using on this particular machine. However, this is not the machine with the Nvidia Driver installed. :) And I am on 17D47. So that's what's gonna suggest.

In you case, it will most likely suggest 17E105f since that's the build the YOU are currently using.

post-1303722-0-31657900-1518119592_thumb.png

There you go. You're getting closer. Good job.

You need to use the one of the MacOS build you want to patch for. In this case: 17E150f

It's like saying: I want the driver to be compatible with [THIS] build. In this case, of course, you want it to be compatible with the build you're currently on. That's what the patch does. It "convinces" the driver to work with a build it wasn't meant for.

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2018-02-08 at 21.49.28.png

ok i did that, now i got this = Summary:

- Selected OS Build Version:  17D47

- Selected installer package: WebDriver-378.10.10.10.25.104.pkg

Starting patching process...

[OK] Expanding WebDriver-378.10.10.10.25.104.pkg

[OK] Patching Distribution for 17D47

[OK] Unpacking Payload

[OK] Patching NVDAStartupWeb.kext for 17D47

387198 blocks

[OK] Recrompressing Payload

[OK] Repacking the installer package

Finished. Would you like to install the Webdrivers now? (y/n): y

Ok. Starting installing process...

Password:

installer: Error - Mac OS X version 10.13.4 (17E150f) is not supported with this package. Please see NVIDIA’s website for further driver information.

[ERROR] Unable to start the installation

logout

Saving session...

...copying shared history...

...saving history...truncating history files...

...completed.

[Process completed]

ok i did that, now i got this = Summary:

- Selected OS Build Version:  17D47

- Selected installer package: WebDriver-378.10.10.10.25.104.pkg

[OK] Patching Distribution for 17D47

[OK] Unpacking Payload

[OK] Patching NVDAStartupWeb.kext for 17D47

387198 blocks

Password:

installer: Error - Mac OS X version 10.13.4 (17E150f) is not supported with this package. Please see NVIDIA’s website for further driver information.

logout

Saving session...

...saving history...truncating history files...

...completed.

[Process completed]

As I said, you need to use the build number of the OS you want to patch for.

In this case 17E105f.

So NOT 17D47. I explained above why in my case it suggests 17D47.

You need to input: 17E105f

As I said, you need to use the build number of the OS you want to patch for.

In this case 17E105f.

So NOT 17D47. I explained above why in my case it suggests 17D47.

You need to input: 17E105f

ok got it, i change the build number like you said 

[OK] Patching Distribution for 17E105f

[OK] Unpacking Payload

[OK] Patching NVDAStartupWeb.kext for 17E105f

387198 blocks

Password:

logout

Saving session...

ok got it, i change the build number like you said 

[OK] Patching Distribution for 17E105f

[OK] Unpacking Payload

[OK] Patching NVDAStartupWeb.kext for 17E105f

387198 blocks

Password:

logout

Saving session...

Hmmm..ok, it shouldn't say it's not compatible when it is compatible.

Can you please, close the terminal window, redownload the original driver, put it into the Downloads folder (if your downloads don't go there already) and start over again?

I feel like there might be some cached things somewhere.

Also, do a restart and see if you have the Nvidia panel in System Preferences. You shouldn't, since the driver was not installed. Actually, do that first, then try again with the download and the patching.

Hmmm..ok, it shouldn't say it's not compatible when it is compatible.

Can you please, close the terminal window, redownload the original driver, put it into the Downloads folder (if your downloads don't go there already) and start over again?

I feel like there might be some cached things somewhere.

Also, do a restart and see if you have the Nvidia panel in System Preferences. You shouldn't, since the driver was not installed. Actually, do that first, then try again with the download and the patching.

ok now i got this = Starting patching process...

[OK] Patching Distribution for 17E150f

[OK] Unpacking Payload

[OK] Patching NVDAStartupWeb.kext for 17E150f

387198 blocks

Password:

installer: Package name is NVIDIA Web Driver 378.10.10.10.25.104

installer: Upgrading at base path /

installer: The upgrade was successful.

installer: The install requires restarting now.

The Webdrivers are succesfully installed. Fixing kext permissions...

thank you for help arsradu = its fully working 

ok now i got this = Starting patching process...

[OK] Patching Distribution for 17E150f

[OK] Unpacking Payload

[OK] Patching NVDAStartupWeb.kext for 17E150f

387198 blocks

Password:

installer: Package name is NVIDIA Web Driver 378.10.10.10.25.104

installer: Upgrading at base path /

installer: The upgrade was successful.

installer: The install requires restarting now.

The Webdrivers are succesfully installed. Fixing kext permissions...

Now THAT's what you should see for a successful patching. Let it finish the job, then restart, and you should be good to go.

• Like 1

I don't why but I don't have any problems with Nvidia driver 156 on the latest beta. I have a GTX 750 Ti

Sent from my WAS-LX1 using Tapatalk

Not everyone does. Apparently it depends on many factors other than the card itself. 

Question to the people with 104/106 drivers, are they working as smooth as previous OSX versions?

I have a 980Ti 10.13.3 and with 156 drivers the lag made everything impossible to use, with 104/106 it's smoother but still not as smooth as Sierra.

• Like 1

Question to the people with 104/106 drivers, are they working as smooth as previous OSX versions?

I have a 980Ti 10.13.3 and with 156 drivers the lag made everything impossible to use, with 104/106 it's smoother but still not as smooth as Sierra.

The patched version of 104 is working a lot better than the 156 but not as smooth as Sierra or the 10.13.2

• Like 1

Thank you @cyberdevs, guess we'll have just to wait a better driver then

Yup, we need to wait for a miracle from the team green to make their GPUs great again even though some people don't have the lags as bad as we do.