[RYZEN] macOS 10.12.x (Sierra) Kernel Research&Development Thread

Sinetek

774 posts in this topic

Hi folks.

In light of the news, and my past success with AMD chips, I thought I'd go ahead and create this thread.
We'll be waiting for someone with access to this fabled platform to report back.

--- Sinetek

• Like 18

Hi guys, me and a friend of mine will do some testing on new ryzen cpus using his new windows pc for rendering, so we will first try using the same method used to run sierra on fx cpus, so what are the exact things to do to transform a standard mac os installer usb or cloned system into an amd comptible one? can you link me kexts needed and also the kernel? Thank you for the help

@ ITzTravelInTime,
I have moved your post here because Sinetek has already created this page for Ryzen CPU

The fastest way to test it, do the following:
1. Create a clone of the Sierra partition on an external HDD
2. Then modify the boot file (Clover ==> Config.plist or Enoch ==> org.chamelon.boot.plist),
3. first use only the standard kexts, such as:
FakeSMC
NullPowerManagement.kext
VoodooTSCSyncAMD.kext
VoodooPS2Controller.kext
GenericUSBXHCI.kext
Patched AppleRTC.kext for 10.12

4. For the first boot test use the AMD FX kernel since the details for AMD Fam17h are not yet published, so these details are not included into the source ... needs to be done later.

5. Then connect the external HDD with Sierra Clone to your Ryzen hackintosh and customize the BIOS settings for Mac OS
Then try your luck.

• Like 1

ok, when we will receive the new RYZEN parts, we will do that tests, can you link me the download of the working kernel? we will start to clone the sierra installation on an external device, i think that we can use an installation that has been booted for the first time on an intel pc, and then delete all of kexts who needs to be removed and use only the kexts you said we have to use, and of course with caches rebuild and permissions repair.

But which are all the kexts that needs to be removed to get the installation to work on standard fx cpus?

I just tried to boot Enoch on my Ryzen, I briefly saw boot0 and boot1 and then the computer reset. With Clover it just hangs. I have a suspicion it's not using EFI mode booting usb discs so I'll try a few versions of linux and see what happens.

(Secure boot is disabled btw.)

• Like 1

If you use one of the latest FX Kernels from Shaneee or one of mine, then you do not need to delete any Kext drivers from S/L/E, because all problematic Kext drivers are listed in the blacklist (into the Kernel) and thus can not cause any boot problems. I do not know how it is with the kernels of bronya?

It does not matter whether you use an installation from an Intel CPU PC or from another FX CPU PC. It is very important to repair the access rights and to boot with a prelinked kernel, if it does not exist, then generate the prelinked kernel.

It does not matter whether an installation you use.... from an Intel CPU hackintosh or from another FX CPU hackintosh or a real Mac. It is very important to repair the permissions and to boot with a prelinked kernel, if the prelinked Kernel does not exist, then generate a new prelinked kernel.

The appropriate FX kernel, please look at this page, and scroll back then they will find the kernels.

I just tried to boot Enoch on my Ryzen, I briefly saw boot0 and boot1 and then the computer reset. With Clover it just hangs. I have a suspicion it's not using EFI mode booting usb discs so I'll try a few versions of linux and see what happens.

I am not sure if Ryzen CPU is listed in Enoch, please check that, if necessary contact ==> ErmaC, or Micky1979, Clover ==> Slice

I have a gut feeling that soon Ryzen users won't need modified kernels to boot macOS.

That would be very nice, if it could work with vanilla kernel :)

Only time will tell. You can try with the Vanilla kernel but I'm doubtful. I suggest trying my latest kernel from here, http://amd-osx.com/files/Shaneee_10.12_RC.zip

No, Shane, the current vanilla kernel cannot boot on Ryzen. I meant future point releases, or even 10.13, being able to boot vanilla because there are rumors Apple could ship MacPros and even MacBookPros with AMD silicon. ;)

• Like 5

I can't get it to even boot the bootloader - See attached image. That was clover in legacy mode, UEFI mode just locks with a blank screen

I checked with an I7-2600 and a phenom ii that my usb stick was good. 

Try it with Enoch instead.

• Like 1

yes we have to do it and also ask the bootloaders developers for a version of their bootloaders that contains extra console outputs for better diagnostics of the problem, for example it will be usefoul in enoch but also in clover will give help.

No, Maldon! ;)

Currently, Ryzen beats the Intel quad core i7s in everything but games. It evenly matches with Intel's best hexa and higher core CPUs that cost twice as much. MacOS is not a gaming platform, is a content creation platform, so gaming performance has little if any importance. Can someone reasonably think Apple will lose the oportunity to keep or even increase performance while cutting costs at the same time?

A MacPro refresh is long overdue. AMD new multicore CPUs are finaly competitive. Apple already uses AMD GPUs in the Mac, so there's already a business relationship going on. Let's wait and see what the future brings!

• Like 3

i deleted post, but ok

good for intel users too, the price down!

If apple uses amd processors, it will be a good
We will all have a vanilla system
gathering.gif
I hope it's not just marketing, as usual ;)
  • Like 2

Which brand and model motherboard are you using? I'm getting the same results as you with a Asus Prime X370. I'm contemplating picking up a B350 model with more legacy type features like sound, vga, dvi and Ethernet options. Maybe the bios will be a little more legacy friendly and give better error codes, lol.