[GUIDE] Dell XPS 15 (9550) Mojave 10.14 / 10.15 Quick Installation

Krim404

1,806 posts in this topic

how do you measure the performance?

I am talking about UI responsiveness - sometimes when other app is launched (like Chrome) - Launchpad opening for about 3 seconds with "jumps". Notable delays with some actions, etc.

Is there a good way to check for common mistakes? 

Just tried to preview Flurry screen saver and it lags. Not so much, but noticeable. 

My geekbench results:

https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/1821339

https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/compute/435626

I am talking about UI responsiveness - sometimes when other app is launched (like Chrome) - Launchpad opening for about 3 seconds with "jumps". Notable delays with some actions, etc.

Is there a good way to check for common mistakes? 

Just tried to preview Flurry screen saver and it lags. Not so much, but noticeable. 

My geekbench results:

https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/1821339

https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/compute/435626

Strange. For me both ElCap and Sierra were always smooth and flawless. Even when CPU is busy when Xcode is compiling something (really busy) - Launchpad is still opening without any glitches (maybe a little bit slower animation)

Hi guys how are you?

For those who experience incomplete power management, please try this solution

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/321021-guide-hwpintel-speed-shift-enable-with-full-power-management/?do=findComment&comment=2365608

Here's the proof on my XPS 13 9350(Iris 540) hwp with full power management 

attachicon.gifSnip20170209_5.png

Good luck,

syscl

thank you for your hard work!

Hi folks!

I am own 4k XPS 9550 with Samsung SSD and using default Wi-Fi card (also I am have intel 8260 and pretty new Intel 18260 with 802.11ad - it will be a good idea to set it up?).

btw I am expecting some poor performance. not sure why - just not so smooth as my MBP 2015 with Sierra. I am just disabled shadows already, but really don't think issue is here. What I should try first? Maybe HWP will help me? Or there is something else I should try?

Just saw a lot of people saying that it's much faster than MBP 2015-2016. Not for me :(

Thanks! :)

The 4K screen will appear to under-perform until you complete the optional step in the tutorial.  If you check again, there's a bit that says, "OPTIONAL If you have a 4k screen..." and some instructions.  I missed this on my first install too.  When the OS is first installed, everything is tiny, right?  I saw it an went, "Oh, I must have to adjust the display settings" which is wrong.  Once you perform the 4K patch, you get proper "retina" scaled screen, and the graphics speed is increased and the tearing completely disappears.  The "genie" effect is suddenly silky smooth when it's working properly :)

Just wanted to post here again to say, Thank You, Thank You, Thank You! :D

I'm loving my new Dell Mac!  So far it's been near flawless for me, with my Killer WiFi working out of the box, 4K Touchscreen fully functional and even dual-booting with Windows (just for gaming) too!  Only my audio jack seems to be not working, and I don't have any USB-C devices or SD cards to test those yet.

I think I did a bad thing, but without consequences.  I wanted my calendar to be working, so I tried adding my apple account for that app.  OS X "helpfully" applied the iCloud account system-wide, which I was not expecting.  This happened before I changed my BIOS, serials, or made any other tweaks.  Now my hand-off and Facetime seem to be working too... But 2 days later I haven't been banned by Apple.  Will I get hit by the ban hammer?  Is there anything I can do to prevent this?  Or am I just truly lucky and my new "iMac" is okay?

The 4K screen will appear to under-perform until you complete the optional step in the tutorial.  If you check again, there's a bit that says, "OPTIONAL If you have a 4k screen..." and some instructions.  I missed this on my first install too.  When the OS is first installed, everything is tiny, right?  I saw it an went, "Oh, I must have to adjust the display settings" which is wrong.  Once you perform the 4K patch, you get proper "retina" scaled screen, and the graphics speed is increased and the tearing completely disappears.  The "genie" effect is suddenly silky smooth when it's working properly :)

Just wanted to post here again to say, Thank You, Thank You, Thank You! :D

I'm loving my new Dell Mac!  So far it's been near flawless for me, with my Killer WiFi working out of the box, 4K Touchscreen fully functional and even dual-booting with Windows (just for gaming) too!  Only my audio jack seems to be not working, and I don't have any USB-C devices or SD cards to test those yet.

I think I did a bad thing, but without consequences.  I wanted my calendar to be working, so I tried adding my apple account for that app.  OS X "helpfully" applied the iCloud account system-wide, which I was not expecting.  This happened before I changed my BIOS, serials, or made any other tweaks.  Now my hand-off and Facetime seem to be working too... But 2 days later I haven't been banned by Apple.  Will I get hit by the ban hammer?  Is there anything I can do to prevent this?  Or am I just truly lucky and my new "iMac" is okay?

I am applied this 4k patches of course :)

I am followed guide very carefully. Now I even tried re-try install step-by-step again. I am really not sure if it's about GPU - minimize effects works great and smooth (and Launchpad now too, can't re-produce it). Of course it is not like on first boot (before Post-Installation section, when Launchpad opens 3-5 secs every time).

Also I am changed SMBIOS to Macbook13,3. I am noticed that some errors appears during boot:

`Failed to initialize graphics firmware.  Falling back to host-side scheduling`

Just done GFXBench GL and got this results.

It is good or not? :) Just though maybe it's something with me (I think it's lags, but it's not?)

x1ml714.png

Also I have a few questions:

1. Should I do something with NVidia (disable) or it's already in config?

2. How you touchpad is good? Just using mouse for now - touchpad feels much better under Windows/Linux. Also multitouch gestures does not work (like default Launchpad gesture)

Well I kept at it all week and i was finally able to get my installation going.

One thing I discovered is my Toshiba THNSN5256GPUK NVMe was NOT a hynix.

One thing I did was totally ditch Pandora's Box and create my own bootdisk the right way.

That combined with doing a lot of reading and reread finally shook something loose.

But let me say this system/install/wiki is amazing.

Very pleased with how it turned out.  Thanks to WmChris for taking the time and energy to put this together.

Im hooked!

i already said that... "Toshiba not equals Hynix" ... two different vendors... O_o what did you think "Hynix" is? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toshiba vs https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SK_Hynix

I know.  I thought that my drive could have possibly used a different vendor's components.

Which is not at all uncommon.  It wasnt until i pulled the drive out and inspected each chips that I was absolutely sure.

I believe this is the only way to know for sure.

When i update to 10.12.3 the USB-C hotplug patch become no use.

Have any new patch for USB-C hotplug in 10.12.3?

Hot plug (as far the device uses usb 3.1 interface) is working just fine under 10.12.4 public beta 2 and it was working fine under 10.12.3. Are you sure that you have set everything correctly? 

post-1631985-0-44726100-1486933243_thumb.png

• Like 1

I know.  I thought that my drive could have possibly used a different vendor's components.

Which is not at all uncommon.  It wasnt until i pulled the drive out and inspected each chips that I was absolutely sure.

I believe this is the only way to know for sure.

okay, so it was not based on a faulty explanation from me. :-) But for your information: the controller requires the driver, not the storage chips. So if the vendor is toshiba, it doesnt matter for the driver if they've assembled infineon, hynix or samsung DRAM chips

Hot plug (as far the device uses usb 3.1 interface) is working just fine under 10.12.4 public beta 2 and it was working fine under 10.12.3. Are you sure that you have set everything correctly? 

didnt find the time to test it before, but i can also confirm hotplugging works fine with 10.12.3.

Can you please help me a bit? :) Just trying to get used.

Overwrite everything in the CLOVER folder of the partition EFI with the content of git/10.12/CLOVER.

I mean for post-installation process. Should I remove everything and copy/paste provided files here or I should merge them with files built by Clover installer? Can invalid options (one of this) lower a performance?

Also C-States are disabled in your config. Should I disable them in BIOS?

Can you please help me a bit? :) Just trying to get used.

I mean for post-installation process. Should I remove everything and copy/paste provided files here or I should merge them with files built by Clover installer? Can invalid options (one of this) lower a performance?

Also C-States are disabled in your config. Should I disable them in BIOS?

merge. no need to disable in bios.

Because someone opened a ticket on github i took a deeper look in syscls files.

syscl supplied a prepatched applehda.kext, testing it right now. added to repo. i also tried using syscls VoodoPS2Controller, but this destroyed every multitouch with 3 fingers or more on my installation. didnt see any improvement in the rest (right click and scrolling) and swiping still didnt work. so i reverted these changes. :(

Because someone opened a ticket on github i took a deeper look in syscls files.

syscl supplied a prepatched applehda.kext, testing it right now. added to repo. i also tried using syscls VoodoPS2Controller, but this destroyed every multitouch with 3 fingers or more on my installation. didnt see any improvement in the rest (right click and scrolling) and swiping still didnt work. so i reverted these changes. :(

I have noticed that rehabMan Voodoo is buggy to. Swiping doesn't work. Unless I add 3 finger swiping as a shortcut to apps.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

A few days worth of testing and mostly everything is nice and smooth.

One thing I can report is Siri often times / sometimes does not work well once the computer is awaken from sleep.

Behaves as if its getting verbal input/commands but the room is dead silent.

On an unrelated note, does anyone know how to enable scrolling using the touchscreen?

Ive tried holding down shift, alt, ctrl and even options while touching the screen but the only thing I am able to do is highlight and rigth-click (when holding the control eye).

A few days worth of testing and mostly everything is nice and smooth.

One thing I can report is Siri often times / sometimes does not work well once the computer is awaken from sleep.

Behaves as if its getting verbal input/commands but the room is dead silent.

On an unrelated note, does anyone know how to enable scrolling using the touchscreen?

Ive tried holding down shift, alt, ctrl and even options while touching the screen but the only thing I am able to do is highlight and rigth-click (when holding the control eye).

1. try the new applehda patch i added a few days ago. fixed this issue with me

2. yes, i wrote it in the tutorial how to use the touchscreen

3. thats normal. no modifiers work.

• Like 1

1. try the new applehda patch i added a few days ago. fixed this issue with me

2. yes, i wrote it in the tutorial how to use the touchscreen

3. thats normal. no modifiers work.

Thanks for the tips.

I went to the touch-base website and submitted a request for a driver.

The proper driver should be match:

Touchscreen Controller Elan MicroElectronics, 10 point, USB

Operating System Mac OSX - Intel
Driver Version 05:01:1482

Will update when I've evaluated it further.

Thanks for the tips.

I went to the touch-base website and submitted a request for a driver.

The proper driver should be match:

Touchscreen Controller Elan MicroElectronics, 10 point, USB

Operating System Mac OSX - Intel
Driver Version 05:01:1482

Will update when I've evaluated it further.

using this driver in the full version, works like a charm. even with multitouch, gestures and more. i would love to see this driver with its features for the touchpad.

• Like 1

Little update - I managed to hook up both monitors to the laptops and in fact they are detected by MacOS as separate displays. First display is hooked to HDMI at laptop, second to the HDMI at dock, still for some reason VGA & display port seems to be not recognised by MacOS.

It turns out that you can only plug in single monitor through udb-c/thunderbolt output (Source) at MacOS - that's a little bit disappointing. No changes regarding plug-in peripherals such as mouse/keyboard - only way to make them to work it is to plug them directly into laptop not the docking station. 

@whchris could you do a favour (ofc  if this is not a problem for you) for me and PM me links/etc to any tutorials you may know about debugging such a devices? I'm first year IT student so I'm not afraid to try it. It actually may help me with passing some of the LO during studies. In mean time I'll ask my lecturer about it, he's unix/linux enthusiast so he may have some useful information too. 

Thank you in advance :)

@deniryer - Did you ever get this fixed?

I am running a dual screen setup (1x built in HDMI, 1x HDMI on Dell D3100 dock which connects through USB) with the laptop in clamshell mode.

This all worked on iMac 17 skylake SMBIOS but I have now just like you changed to MacBookPro13,3 and my built in HDMI does not work anymore.

The guide says to go through the AppleGraphicsPolicies kext looking for the board-id and changing "config2" -> "none", but our board-id does not exist for the MBP13,3 SMBIOS.

How did you get your built-in HDMI port working?

@deniryer - Did you ever get this fixed?

I am running a dual screen setup (1x built in HDMI, 1x HDMI on Dell D3100 dock which connects through USB) with the laptop in clamshell mode.

This all worked on iMac 17 skylake SMBIOS but I have now just like you changed to MacBookPro13,3 and my built in HDMI does not work anymore.

The guide says to go through the AppleGraphicsPolicies kext looking for the board-id and changing "config2" -> "none", but our board-id does not exist for the MBP13,3 SMBIOS.

How did you get your built-in HDMI port working?

you have to enable it manually by adding something in some config file if the system you specify in the SMBIOS configs doesnt have a native HDMI port. bad thing is: i forgot how to do it and the tutorial has been deleted by tonys guys...

EDIT:

try http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/319766-dell-xps-9550-detailled-1011-guide/- STEP 3.5.4

also for audio: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/319211-guide-fix-skylake-hdmidp-output/