[Guide] Clean 10.12.2 Sierra installation on the Surface Pro 1

Savoury.Monkey

76 posts in this topic

Couldn't get the installer to work. I followed all the steps exactly, and managed to boot the Surface (with -v) to a flickering gray screen with a beachball. I've let it sit there for 40 minutes, and it just hangs on that screen. I can't get it to boot with -x, and disabling InjectIntel doesn't stop the flickering. i5 128GB model.

Edit: This DSDT.aml is broken and doesn't let the machine boot. The ones present in the El Capitan thread work. Still can't reliably get the white halo to not show, it usually takes a couple of restarts to get a fully working display.

Do you replaced the DSDT.aml file? It's not working for me...the boot is stucking in the white boot screen...

Do you replaced the DSDT.aml file? It's not working for me...the boot is stucking in the white boot screen...

I replaced the DSDT with http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/308556-guide-surface-pro-1st-gen-el-capitan-clean-installation/page-5?do=findComment&comment=2232811(the DSDT_no_PWR.aml). Sleep doesn't work for 10.12, it seems to have worked on 10.11.

Is brightness working?? 10.12.5

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, it's locked at around 70%

I replaced the DSDT with http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/308556-guide-surface-pro-1st-gen-el-capitan-clean-installation/page-5?do=findComment&comment=2232811(the DSDT_no_PWR.aml). Sleep doesn't work for 10.12, it seems to have worked on 10.11.

No, it's locked at around 70%

10.12.4 breaks acpibacklight kext but with a brightness app works fine..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Now I finally installed Sierra....everything works. The only problem I have is a white washed screen. I already changed the 0x0a006601 to 0x0a006604, but without any access. Do you guys have an idea?

I had the same issue as well, a white washed screen. I tried the same thing you did plus a myriad of other things. None of them worked at-least right away. Weirdly enough though, when I rebooted it one day it just worked. I'm not sure what I did or how it was fixed - but at-least for me it supposedly fixed itself... Wish I could help more but I can't for the life of me understand what I did. 

• 1 month later...

I am facing screen garble on 1st boot from clover. I replaced the whole EFI folder as merging didn't work. Any suggestions?

IMG_7179.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

hi ducati

i have updated succesfully from sierra 10.12 to high sierra 10.13

only problem i get the screen washed white 

have you applied any kext for the graphics ?

i use the same kexts from sierra.i have washed screen only in the installation process. 

the external dp doesnt work in high sierra...

the brightness works from system preferences if you restore 2 kexts and display framework from 10.12.3

• Like 1

i use the same kexts from sierra.i have washed screen only in the installation process. 

the external dp doesnt work in high sierra...

the brightness works from system preferences if you restore 2 kexts and display framework from 10.12.3

indeed..everything works great except for external display 

i tried fresh install on sd card with new apfs and it works too 

hope someone get a fix for the external dp ...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi,

I want to install Sierra on my Surface and after start the clover, on screen show apple logo and start loading progress bar but after a few minutes i see a white screen and duplicate apple logo. ( i made a photo).

can you help me with that problem ?

post-2329505-0-50177900-1516003914_thumb.jpeg

Anybody can post some proper DSDT and SSDT files for Surface Pro 2? Had used a problematic tutorial posted by tran huang or similar on this forum.

Basically after weeks of effort, most things are functioning...bluetooth is still problematic though and wonder if USB is actually configured right in the ACPI files. Thus the request.

Thanks in advance!

By the way, used FakePCIID posted by Rehabman to get a lot of things functioning properly. Basically the intelbacklight kext, the graphics kext, the mux kext, in addition to the title kext. That made the USB get handled as 2 and 3 and also made the backlight work and the graphics card acceleration to function with metal and so on. Still would like a control panel to better configure the HD4400 drivers.

• 1 month later...
On 3/14/2018 at 6:36 AM, ik_ben_Mark said:

Is it possible to make it dual boot? If I look at the signature of @xflier I see he is running Sierra 10.12.3 dual boot.

I am running 10.13.3 now on my SP1 with dual boot and FileVault tuned on. the rough steps are as below:

1. in windows, shrink the partition of windows, and create a new partition about 40 G.

2. follow the instruction of this thread to install Mac OS in the new partition. 

3. In windows, use EasyUEFI to specify a boot device so that Mac OS can be boot from windows with Shift + Restart

4. if want to upgrade to High Sierra, remember to disable APFS by edit minstallconfig.xml

Edited by xflier

• 3 months later...
Guest ricoc90

Currently running Mojave beta 2 on my SP1, which runs pretty well except that BT (and WiFi of course) doesn't function.

Using Lilu+AppleALC for audio

Jv3wPSH.png

Edited by ricoc90

4 hours ago, ricoc90 said:

Currently running Mojave beta 2 on my SP1, which runs pretty well except that BT (and WiFi of course) doesn't function.

Jv3wPSH.png

Hi ricoc

I managed to install Mojave beta 1 on SP1 too... how about external display does it work for you ? 

Guest ricoc90
Just now, omega_xl said:

Hi ricoc

I managed to install Mojave beta 1 on SP1 too... how about external display does it work for you ? 

I'm not using an external display, nor do I have a mini DP cable so I can't test it :(

Edited by ricoc90

• 4 weeks later...

First of all, thank you very much for your guide, it was very helpful. It's been a few months since I've hackintoshed it and I did manage to dig up a dsdt that supports bluetooth. From which thread, I am not certain but I will attach it for posterity. However for those of you that struggle with the lack of reliable sleep on your surface, which essentially renders it useless as a tablet, there is great news, as hibernation now works with clover and osx. I've attached lilu.kext and hibernationfixup.kext which will enable you to take advantage of the hibernation functionality. Place them in your EFI/kext/'osversion' folder. For this to work it is however essential that you don't have EmuVariableUefi-64.efi installed as a efi plugin as it relies entirely on native nvram. Proceed by opening your terminal and input: 

sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 25

Put your surface to sleep, it will suspend your surface and save your memory into /private/var/vm/sleepimage and shut down. Once it has been properly shut down, push the power button and let it boot up 'Macos (hibernated)'. You'll be presented with a black screen, but don't panic, just push and hold the power button for two seconds and your session will be restored. 

In other news, I've purchased the touch-base drivers. They were kind enough to weed out the clip on keyboard issue at my request. For the most part, the touch experience with these drivers is 'okay', however the lack of a proper pop-up on screen keyboard makes the experience a little tedious.

Surface.zip

Anyone else still having trouble with the odd washed out screen? I've tried a few different things on various installations of high sierra and can't figure out what's causing it

i've got a working installation with a working screen, seems to have something to do with the acpibacklight.kext, pnlf in the dsdt.aml, (will have a washed out screen if i remove npci=0x2000 from config.plist or acpibacklight.kext) even if it doesn't work in high sierra

Edited by vindu

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
On 6/23/2018 at 4:34 PM, ricoc90 said:

Jv3wPSH.png

Hi, i'm noob, but is there any step by step guide, how to install Mojave on Surface Pro (first Surface Pro ever), like on this screenshot? Thanks in advance.