El Capitan 10.11.1 versus the 5960X - A Collaborative Work-Thru

190 posts in this topic

Yeah there's something simple being missed.  Whoever is posting that to GeekBench isn't telling.  It's probably a phony result.  

https://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/search?utf8=✓&q=5960x+Mac+OS+X+10.11

Another apple test?... Maybe is easier than what we think...
Pikeralpha, we need your help, please...

Pike is out for now.  I follow his blog and he and his family have run into one health issue after another and now they're traveling.  And due to some drama within the insanelymac community (from what i understand -- and I don't know the details, the outcome wasn't anyone who manages or is affiliated with insanelymac itself, but from users), I don't believe he looks at insanelymac at the moment.  Your best bet is to message him thru his blog and don't mention IM.  I have hinted at the possibility of looking into the 5960X/10.11 on at least one comment on his blog but got no response.  

If I do set up this gofundme, who should I start asking for help? Who's on the coder call-out roster? (only people on my radar are Pikeralpha and Rehabman)  Obviously need pretty amazing C++ skills to get this done

Hey all,

I took a look at the IOPCI kext for El Capitan and it looks like the PCI Configuration Begin message does originate from that kext.  I think we should seriously focus efforts on the open source kext.

Where was it that you came to this conclusion?  I read on another site **cough** that it was AppleACPIPlatform causing the issue.

:happymac:

It could be either kext or (more likely) both. Just because the message occurs in IOPCI doesn't necessarily mean that's where the problem lies. Although in the past, we have solved similar issues by patching IOPCI (before ncpi=0x**** was a thing).

As for devs, I don't know if they'd be up for it but any of the clover devs would be a good candidate.

It could be either kext or (more likely) both. Just because the message occurs in IOPCI doesn't necessarily mean that's where the problem lies. Although in the past, we have solved similar issues by patching IOPCI (before ncpi=0x**** was a thing).

As for devs, I don't know if they'd be up for it but any of the clover devs would be a good candidate.

You would know far more than me.  I just joined the Hack community around a year before X99, with an X79 build.  So I'm a noob in all respects of the term.  Been a Mac user for along time of course, but it was the cylinder that sent me to the Hackintosh dark side.  I myself have a crazy busy life right now, but I'll try to nail down the gofundme thing and start spreading the word in the next few days.  I'll obviously post it here as well.  I hope that's not outside of the IM guidelines... 

Where was it that you came to this conclusion?  I read on another site **cough** that it was AppleACPIPlatform causing the issue.

:happymac:

Yeah I take this back, I was being overly optimistic that everything could be fixed with just IOPCIFamily.  I went through the source and the "configuration" sections of the kext seem to also rely heavily on AppleACPIPlatform headers which we don't have access to the source on.

Ok guys!  I set up the gofundme account!  I gave the first donation of $50 and encourage you to do the same.  Take 2 minutes and read the description on the donation page and make sure it's to all of your liking.  If it gets to 450 I'll throw another $50 on the pile.  I think if we approach coders with a sum as good as $500 (minimum - more is better!) then we'll actually get results.  If nothing comes of this, I'll refund you all personally via PayPal or Google Wallet (I have both set up already).  

gofundme.com/elcapx99

Ok guys!  I set up the gofundme account!  I gave the first donation of $50 and encourage you to do the same.  Take 2 minutes and read the description on the donation page and make sure it's to all of your liking.  If it gets to 450 I'll throw another $50 on the pile.  I think if we approach coders with a sum as good as $500 (minimum - more is better!) then we'll actually get results.  If nothing comes of this, I'll refund you all personally via PayPal or Google Wallet (I have both set up already).  

gofundme.com/elcapx99

Unlikely this is going to produce any results unless the dev has the hardware. Of course if the fund is high enough to purchase the hardware it could work out...

Well this is my humble contribution for this project and it is as follow: I already got in touch with someone in this forum and ask him that I'm willing to lend him a i7 5960X CPU and a 16GB memory kit 2666Mhz from Corsair for him to test. All he need to get is power supply, MB, HD or SSD and time from him and if he with any collaborator from him help him out to get part or full support that I be able to get EL Capitan installed in my rig I will donate then those to parts to him or any friend that he gets the information from. I own 2 spare 5960X cpu beside the one that I got running Yosemite from so those are my bits and conditions and you can beat on those cause I'm a man of my own words.

"I'm willing to lend Stinga 11 a 5960X and a 16GB Ram Corsair 2666 for him to get a rig setup to do some testing and if HE with help of and friend that HE know help him for this project become a success AND I get my Yosemite rig upgrade to EL Capitan success, THEN I will DONATE those two parts to stinga11 for him distribute the cost of the two parts from whoever he got the source from" those are my conditions.

I guess I did a fare contribution if he willing to accept, if the creator of this thread is willing to confirm this with Stinga11 he can do so. So my contribution to this project still stands a 5960X w/ 16GB of Corsair men kit in trade that I be able to get El Capitan install on my 5960X rig. Well done guys.

Well this is my humble contribution for this project and it is as follow: I already got in touch with someone in this forum and ask him that I'm willing to lend him a i7 5960X CPU and a 16GB memory kit 2666Mhz from Corsair for him to test. All he need to get is power supply, MB, HD or SSD and time from him and if he with any collaborator from him help him out to get part or full support that I be able to get EL Capitan installed in my rig I will donate then those to parts to him or any friend that he gets the information from. I own 2 spare 5960X cpu beside the one that I got running Yosemite from so those are my bits and conditions and you can beat on those cause I'm a man of my own words.

"I'm willing to lend Stinga 11 a 5960X and a 16GB Ram Corsair 2666 for him to get a rig setup to do some testing and if HE with help of and friend that HE know help him for this project become a success AND I get my Yosemite rig upgrade to EL Capitan success, THEN I will DONATE those two parts to stinga11 for him distribute the cost of the two parts from whoever he got the source from" those are my conditions.

I guess I did a fare contribution if he willing to accept, if the creator of this thread is willing to confirm this with Stinga11 he can do so. So my contribution to this project still stands a 5960X w/ 16GB of Corsair men kit in trade that I be able to get El Capitan install on my 5960X rig. Well done guys.

Holy s*&t.  This is in no way "humble" lol, VERY GENEROUS!  Well I will contact Stinga right away.  So I just want to make sure that I understand... You're willing to donate the 5960X, 16GB of DDR4 if he (or another coder you mentioned) gets this working?  That's incredible!  I'm sure he'll be in touch.  I do have one concern -- he admittedly made me aware that his C++ skills were not up to pare with tackling this feat, however he himself is a humble person and way smarter than he admits.    If he (or whatever coder ends up with your incredibly selfless donation) can't afford a board I will take what donations we receive (only with permission from the donors) and buy him a board also.  From there I'm sure he can assemble the rest.  What we really need is the current 10.11.X kexts compiled or patched to work with our CPU so we don't have to use rollbacks any longer.   I will also try Pike R. Alpha once more, although as I mentioned he's been distant lately.  

Thank you again!  This is really awesome. 

Holy s*&t.  This is in no way "humble" lol, VERY GENEROUS!  Well I will contact Stinga right away.  So I just want to make sure that I understand... You're willing to donate the 5960X, 16GB of DDR4 if he (or another coder you mentioned) gets this working?  That's incredible!  I'm sure he'll be in touch.  I do have one concern -- he admittedly made me aware that his C++ skills were not up to pare with tackling this feat, however he himself is a humble person and way smarter than he admits.    If he (or whatever coder ends up with your incredibly selfless donation) can't afford a board I will take what donations we receive (only with permission from the donors) and buy him a board also.  From there I'm sure he can assemble the rest.  What we really need is the current 10.11.X kexts compiled or patched to work with our CPU so we don't have to use rollbacks any longer.   I will also try Pike R. Alpha once more, although as I mentioned he's been distant lately.  

Thank you again!  This is really awesome. 

See don't read into lines I said " I will lend to Stinga11 the hardware for him to test an d if him and however assist him to get this project going and the results are a success they will keep the hardware " The hardware will be lend to the project first if success they will keep it and Stinga11 will be the one to decide how to share the hardware with whoever contribute with him. I will be calling him tomorrow to soar out the conditions you can get in touch with him what we agree. I hope other see my humble contribution and get motivate as well to help THE I7 5960X Community to get the EL CAPITAN a success. I hope the community thanks me as well.

Ok gotcha.  I just hit him up on Facebook but I'll correct myself.  I definitely misunderstood you at first.  And yes, the community will thank you  :drool:  :thumbsup_anim:  :yes:  :king::thanks_speechbubble:  :hyper:  :superman:  :gathering:  :ihw_wow:

Unlikely this is going to produce any results unless the dev has the hardware. Of course if the fund is high enough to purchase the hardware it could work out...

Yeah I always considered this, but figured we could do it thru a combination of a talented coder and communal testing.  However, now thanks to Veteran we have a solution!  

EDIT:

Hey Veteran, I posted an update on the gofundme donation page about your "gift" to the person that figures this out.

I just want to reiterate that the hardware in donation don't even have 3 month of been use on my Asus X99 Deluxe it was pull cause it wasn't a golden CPU but it gets to 4.3 with 1.30V thats the highest that this CPU have seen voltage same goes with the RAM they are Corsair but the chips are Hynix the XMP speed are 2666 but they can do 3200 w/ 100 strap so the hardware in donate it's not a cheapy one. We'll see what stinga11 and I we can come up to, I hope him and some other coders friends of him get together on this. i don't know nothing about hackintosh but I definitely can follow good instructions to get things workout. So I hope they can get the 5960X community happy with good news on EL CAPITAN.

I just want to reiterate that the hardware in donation don't even have 3 month of been use on my Asus X99 Deluxe it was pull cause it wasn't a golden CPU but it gets to 4.3 with 1.30V thats the highest that this CPU have seen voltage same goes with the RAM they are Corsair but the chips are Hynix the XMP speed are 2666 but they can do 3200 w/ 100 strap so the hardware in donate it's not a cheapy one. We'll see what stinga11 and I we can come up to, I hope him and some other coders friends of him get together on this. i don't know nothing about hackintosh but I definitely can follow good instructions to get things workout. So I hope they can get the 5960X community happy with good news on EL CAPITAN.

Man, people (coders) are gonna flip over this.  I'm in the same boat to where I learn quickly and can follow instruction but never have had the time to learn any languages.  I'm sure you two can figure something out.  Stinga knows his way around the Hack community for sure!

Well, for what it's worth, I was able to compile the 10.9 IOPCIFamily using the 10.11 SDK. It's pretty hacky though - some kexts, such as the TB/FW kexts, won't link because of missing classes (I removed vtd.c to compile, will retry later). It works on my system - although this obviously means nothing since I have Ivy Bridge hardware - your mileage may (and probably will) vary.

IOPCIFamily.kext.zip

Well, for what it's worth, I was able to compile the 10.9 IOPCIFamily using the 10.11 SDK. It's pretty hacky though - some kexts, such as the TB/FW kexts, won't link because of missing classes (I removed vtd.c to compile, will retry later). It works on my system - although this obviously means nothing since I have Ivy Bridge hardware - your mileage may (and probably will) vary.

Thanks for doing this!  Now if only Apple would post that 10.11 appleacpi source...

I'll try your 10.11 compiled kext soon

Still stuck with that.  I think AppleACPI is going to be crucial for this–– I went through the IOPCIFamily source pretty carefully.  That being said, someone with enough know how might be able to get a binary patch working?

HEy, Netkas modified the 10.6.7 IOPCIFAMILY to work with mountain lion Maybe you can modified to work with el capitan http://netkas.org/?p=1072

Back when this first started happening (10.6.8), Netkas & Oleg were able to modify the IPCIFamily to work with newer version of AppleACPIPlatform.kext.

Not an ideal situation, but perhaps something like that could be done again.

http://netkas.org/?p=1053

http://netkas.org/?p=849

I already tried this 6 months ago with Yosemite, but it is vaguely possible some DSDT edits could sidestep this.

Oleg writes, "I noticed on projectosx they mention that “_BBN method must be removed from PCI0 device” – this is not true (in my case), but I’ve found that adding an APIC device under PCI0 seems to solve. Here’s a snip of the code from my DSDT:"

Device (PCI0)
{
Method (_INI, 0, NotSerialized)
{
If (OSDW ())
{
\_SB.PCI0.SBUS.ENAB ()
}
}

Device (APIC)
{
Name (_HID, EisaId (“PNP0003”))
Name (_CRS, ResourceTemplate ()
{
Memory32Fixed (ReadOnly,
0xFEC00000, // Address Base
0x00100000, // Address Length
)
})
}

Name (_HID, EisaId (“PNP0A08”))
Name (_CID, EisaId (“PNP0A03”))
Name (_ADR, 0x00)
Name (_BBN, 0x00)
…………..

HEy, Netkas modified the 10.6.7 IOPCIFAMILY to work with mountain lion Maybe you can modified to work with el capitan http://netkas.org/?p=1072

Oh, hay. ;)

I saw on Pike R. Alpha's blog that several people have reached out to him for help on getting 10.11 to run on a 5960x build (see the comments sections for the latest two posts on his blog for the requests). He responded that he needed some data, specifically it sounds like he wants to compare the ACPI tables for the 5930 and 5960 on the same motherboard. I have a successful 5960x build on a Asus X99-e WS and could extract the ACPI tables if shown how (=DSDT?). Anyone have a 5930 build on the X99-e WS so we can send him a set of data to compare?

• Like 1