Haswell-E mach_kernel patch (5960X, 5830K and 5820K) 10.10 - 10.10.1 Yosemite

stinga11

670 posts in this topic

Do you happen to know where these numbers come from and what they mean?

I really do not remember where I found it, I do not know if it was pikeralpha, rampagedev or someone else.

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to check in again about my overclocking progress... Here is what I discovered:

-OS X flat out refuses to go above the base multiplier, which in my case is x30. If I don't use NCPM, it APPEARS as if it's going above x30, but it's actually not based on my identical benchmark results.

-Intel Power Gadget reports incorrect readings. When it reports your clock speed in GHz, it assumes you are using a 100 MHz bus speed, so if I have my BCLK set to 125, it will show "3.00 GHz" when it's at 3.75 GHz. This happens in the Windows version as well.

-The only way I am able to get OS X to successfully use my overclock is by overclocking the BCLK. Currently, I've got a 167 MHz BCLK and x29 multiplier so I'm at 4.34 GHz.

Thanks @schumlav for suggesting overclocking the bus.

I got my 5960x overclocked at 4.16 Ghz (as seen by iStatMenu only by adding a 42 cpu multiplier in bios, with a 1.2 vcore temperature but - very important, by disabling speedstep and enabling turbo. If you don't enable turbo mode, nothing above the base multiplier (30, in my case) will be recognized by clover / osx.

Also, disabling Xhci got me a 10% improvement in cpu performance, but lost all the usb 3 ports ( I guess I have to install generic usb kext  for those to come back).

33000 in geekbench at 64 bit with 10.10.2 with cpu temps at around 50 celsius (fractal design  s36  water cooler - awesome one !)

• Like 1

Has anyone with a 5960x found a workaround to the sometimes slow boot? Usually it hangs on PCI configuration begin for about 5 seconds, but sometimes it will take like 30 seconds. Nullcpupowermanagement seems to alleviate it a bit. Obviously we know what the cause of this is, I'm just wondering if anyone else has noticed and has found a reliable workaround.

Hi all,

Any app or tool we can use to get CPU temps and/or frequency listed accurately in OSX on X99? I realize this may be impossible because of the lack of OSX x99 support, but thought I'd ask in case those two issues are not tied together. Thanks.

hi friends,

i have a fresh installation 10.10.3 on my 5960x with U*****. all is ok expect cpu idle, frequency is stuck at 4.2ghz.

I tried different SSDT but nothing works. i used nullcpupowermanagement. my bios settings is the same as i use for 10.10.1

otherwise power management works well in 10.10.1 (1.20ghz to 4.2ghz)

thanks for your help.

Sam

Hey all,

Ended up downgrading to 10.9.5 to get my X99 Deluxe / 5960X machine working well.

Two questions that I'm wondering if anyone has insight on.

I'm running the latest AppleIntelE1000e.kext (3.1.0). When I do, I seem to get KP's with both NIC's enabled in the BIOS. I've turned the second one off, but even then, sometimes the NIC will lose connection. Any tips here?

Also, VMware Fusion 6 loads my Windows 7 VM verrrrry slowly. What might be going on?

Hey all,

Ended up downgrading to 10.9.5 to get my X99 Deluxe / 5960X machine working well.

Two questions that I'm wondering if anyone has insight on.

I'm running the latest AppleIntelE1000e.kext (3.1.0). When I do, I seem to get KP's with both NIC's enabled in the BIOS. I've turned the second one off, but even then, sometimes the NIC will lose connection. Any tips here?

Also, VMware Fusion 6 loads my Windows 7 VM verrrrry slowly. What might be going on?

I don't know about your nic issue, but for VMware, there's an insanely high amount of interrupts on xhci which causes slowdowns (not just for VMs). To work around this you either need to install genericusbxhci or disable usb3 in the bios.
  • Like 1

I am going to say this once for people chasing PM and to stop the mass confusion.

Please do not confuse EPU for PM. Its not PM. Your using EPU from the Mother Board and not enabling PM at the OS level. So the "results" that people are posting are not results at all. 

Also the SSDT's on my x99 DMG have nothing at all to do with PM.

Until Apple adds support this is a dead topic. Either buy a Asus MB so that you can use EPU or wait for Apple. Refresh after WWDC should happen. 

• Like 2

I am going to say this once for people chasing PM and to stop the mass confusion.

Please do not confuse EPU for PM. Its not PM. Your using EPU from the Mother Board and not enabling PM at the OS level. So the "results" that people are posting are not results at all. 

Also the SSDT's on my x99 DMG have nothing at all to do with PM.

Until Apple adds support this is a dead topic. Either buy a Asus MB so that you can use EPU or wait for Apple. Refresh after WWDC should happen. 

I have  a Asus MB and i used your SSDT.

I don't know about your nic issue, but for VMware, there's an insanely high amount of interrupts on xhci which causes slowdowns (not just for VMs). To work around this you either need to install genericusbxhci or disable usb3 in the bios.

Aha - I heard about needing to use genericusbxhci, but missed the install note for 10.9. Working now - thanks a lot.

Continuing to test nic's.

Has anyone successfully done an upgrade to 10.10.3 with Asus x99-deluxe (bios 1702) and 5960X?  I am stuck again with PCI Configuration Begin.  I stayed back on 10.10 and ran stable since my initial build and then decided to move to 10.10.3 for NVMe support (no not using that drive yet).  I will continue to go back over the usual suspects to get past pci configuration begin, but it is always nice to know someone can prove there is a happy path

Alright - back up and running on 10.10.3.  Here is my config and what it took me to recover

Asus X99 Deluxe + 5960X, Bios 1702, Clover 3202

First off i cloned my 10.10 driver before starting so I use that drive to boot and modified my updated drive (used combo update).  My issues were back to PCI Configuration Begin.  Even with kext wizard and disk utility repairing permissions and rebuilding kext cache it did not work.  I had to delete the folder com.apple.kext.caches in S/L/Caches (used terminal)

After that it was quite a pain to get the rebuilt.  Eventually i used this command

sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions
sudo kextcache -update-volume /[volume you want to rebuild here)

After that - had the black screen issue which has been solved elsewhere (installing applegraphicscontrol.kext).

All said - up and running on 10.10.3, but still no support for my NVMe drive.  going have to dink around in bios to see what is going on there as neither disk utility or system information recognize it.

I still think i have some USB work to do as i have very slow file transfer times (Even file copy from one folder to the other) so i assume i am getting the massive USB3 interrupts.  

All in all - happy i got back

Alright - back up and running on 10.10.3.  Here is my config and what it took me to recover

Asus X99 Deluxe + 5960X, Bios 1702, Clover 3202

First off i cloned my 10.10 driver before starting so I use that drive to boot and modified my updated drive (used combo update).  My issues were back to PCI Configuration Begin.  Even with kext wizard and disk utility repairing permissions and rebuilding kext cache it did not work.  I had to delete the folder com.apple.kext.caches in S/L/Caches (used terminal)

After that it was quite a pain to get the rebuilt.  Eventually i used this command

sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions

sudo kextcache -update-volume /[volume you want to rebuild here)

After that - had the black screen issue which has been solved elsewhere (installing applegraphicscontrol.kext).

All said - up and running on 10.10.3, but still no support for my NVMe drive.  going have to dink around in bios to see what is going on there as neither disk utility or system information recognize it.

I still think i have some USB work to do as i have very slow file transfer times (Even file copy from one folder to the other) so i assume i am getting the massive USB3 interrupts.  

All in all - happy i got back

Any news regarding your NVME drive? same issue here, and it sucks to run win10 instead of yosemite on my 750 :(

Any news regarding your NVME drive? same issue here, and it sucks to run win10 instead of yosemite on my 750 :(

Nope - have not gotten it to wiggle yet.  I can see the drive in bios (and boots fine to win10) but have no way to see it through 10.10.3.  

Hi all,

I install mackintosh 10.10.3 with great help from Crushers.
Only problem that i have now is with memory.
I have installed 32GB and my mackintosh 10.10.3 see only 16GB.
I was try to replace RAM modules in different slots, reset CMOS - remove battery from motherboard,  but always the same problem.
any help would be great.

Clover UEFI boot
when installing I check: EmuVariableUEFIx64, OsxApatioFixDrv-64

config:
i7-5930 3.50GHz  6 core processor
asus x99-a Motherboard
Nvidia GeForce GTX 780 strix - 6GB / dual 2 cads / not SLI

thanks.

• 5 weeks later...

I promised to make a good guide but I can't seem to boot USB either with un!beast or chameleon. They both stuck at PCI Configuration Begin, even with 10.9.5 kexts. I think it could be related to my GPU (980)...

My theory was to use this installer (+patch kernel and use stinga11 kext pkg) instead of having to use un!beast. But it didn't work so... Maybe someone else can try that.

So the best steps are really so far the same as detailed in onmybikedrunk's post. I am rewriting them here with some added details. Remember this guide is primarily for 5960x users.

1. Make sure you have working Mac install to prepare your USB on (can be other machine), and latest BIOS

2. Create USB install with un!beast (if you don't want to support them, you can try installer link above)

3. Patch kernel according to first post in this topic

4. While in 10.9.5 delete stock AppleACPIPlatform and IOPCIFamily from USB/S/L/E and then remove all kexts from Extra on your finished USB installer

5. Copy the kext's from stinga11's package to USB/S/L/E: [stinga11 pkg for 5960x]

6. Boot with -v npci=0x2000 kext-dev-mode=1 (if Maxwell gpu, also use nv_disable=1)

7. Complete install and then reboot your previous working OS X install

8. Now redo step 3, 4 and 5 but on your Yosemite disk as target

9. Reboot to USB but select your Yosemite in bootloader

10. Install latest Clover and Clover Configurator on your disk

11. Install nvidia web drivers if necessary

12. Use clover configurator to set your clover boot args and Mac Pro 6.1 smbios. Set nvda_drv=1 if you installed nvidia web drivers. 

13. Install AppleE1000.kext and AppleGB.kext to S/L/E. This enables internet straight away.

14. Now you can remove the USB and just boot your Yosemite disk!

sRUzCWt.png

Only main issue right now is audio. Let's get it fixed   :yes:

I am working in a Asus X99-A USB31 mobo, XEON E5-v3 2670, Asus GFX970 Strix

Also stuck on 'PCI configuration'; I tried with your solution, but no luck for me.

• Like 1