can we get back the apple logo on boot?

JahStories

769 posts in this topic

Hi there guys, 

i was wondering if someone managed to boot yosemite with the gray background and the apple logo,

or are we stuck with black screen and progress bar only?

Thanks! :)

It seems that its happening only on hackintosh, my macbookpro5,5 boot with the new progress bar but with the usual grey background....

i've sended Slice a PM i'm sure that he know more about this ;)

Mine is black and no logo. And grey with no logo (at the moment that the logo appears in the video and the bar loads faster) if I boot in verbose. If I boot normally I can't see the bar loading fast before the desktop appear.

EDIT: I only see the grey screen booting in verbose mode but setting it by this way (not using config.plist):

sudo nvram boot-args="-v"

And using Clover in Fast mode.

With Chameleon bootloader r2377 Yoosemite V2 post by chris1111 in org.chameleon.Boot.plist have:

<key>Legacy Logo</key>

<string>No</string>

no -v in boot-flags i can see background gray, apple logo and progress bar

With Clover bootloader i have only black screen and progress bar, has no apple logo

I am also looking for a solution for this. look at this video:

must be related to something else

Jesus that thing boots fast! My yosemite boots 5 times slower than my mountain lion installation.

I find the loading bar to remind me off Linux, a few Linux distros have a loading bar like this. It's not bad, but it isn't apple..

Wow, how many speculations here are around :D

I will get some of the facts right:

1) Chameleon's Apple boot screen is fake. Everything is drawn entirely by Chameleon. When using Clover, OS X's boot.efi draws it.

2) The Clover video with the apple shows a "fake" apple. The boot process does NOT show it, it pops up after graphics are initialized and the OS is ready to show the login UI. In my case I do NOT see an apple there as my graphics need initialization and thus my screen turns black and on again in mean time. If my gfx would be supported by the boot process (sounds weird indeed), my screen would not turn black and I would see the apple aswell. Apple pretty much renders the boot screen twice.

3) It's not Clover's fault it doesn't show up, as it's drawn by boot.efi. But I think Clover needs to pass a variable over to boot.efi. Why? Because: How would boot.efi even know it should draw the grey or the black version? I don't know how it decides. I'm 100% sure it decides to use the grey version as I get a grey screen after my screen turns on again.

4) Black and grey version? Yes. Some newer Macs got firmware updates and have a black boot screen aswell... with an white Apple.

5) The logos are contained in an efires file. If you're interested, grab them with this script: Yosemite DP1 Includes new EFI images/sound files

5.1) The boot.efi refers to a black Apple logo file... well, two as the others is 2x. However, such a file is not present in the archive. The logo used for "black" EFIs is the generic one without a color name in its file name. Maybe we need a way to edit these files?

I'm entirely sure that we should wait for at least DP2 as the appleLogo.efires is entirely new and yet not all Macs got firmware updates. We shall see.

• Like 6

Look into a real mac's ioreg under the display port ("<framebuffername>,@0"), you will find some values called AAPL,grey-page and AAPL,grey-color (or something like that). If you start osx with clover, the grey-color is 00,00,00,00 in ioreg. The zeros means black... So.... maybe this is why we get black screen at boot? I tried to inject proper grey value into there via DSDT but nohing changed, it doesn't got saved in ioreg. Any idea how to change that?

• Like 1

I think Pike has the answer….http://pikeralpha.wordpress.com/2014/06/13/yosemite-dp-includes-new-efi-imagessound-files/ (see towards end of post). If I understand correctly - and possible I don't! - then the boot loader will need to recognise and load the efires images/logos mentioned. So guess it is probably just waiting on Clover/Chameleon implementation in due course.

I think Pike has the answer….http://pikeralpha.wordpress.com/2014/06/13/yosemite-dp-includes-new-efi-imagessound-files/ (see towards end of post). If I understand correctly - and possible I don't! - then the boot loader will need to recognise and load the efires images/logos mentioned. So guess it is probably just waiting on Clover/Chameleon implementation in due course.

Tried the "meter=0" bootarg, and now I have the spinner on the bootscreen instead of the progressbar, nice! Btw as I understand, apple implemented a dark and a light bootscreen mode. So maybe it will be different colour on different mac models. So there is a dark and a light apple logo as well in the efi file. I hoping a clover update with choosable dark or light bootscreen mode.

I am also looking for a solution for this. look at this video: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcO8nX_5KtI

must be related to something else

hi ... that's my video ... sorry for the quality    :P

whitw apple boot logo still appear in Yosemite DP2 ... but when booting into Mavericks (dual boot) I get the boot logo as usual, gray background with silver apple logo carved ...
* Clover v2k 2721 - Gigabyte Z68 - AMD HD7970/R9 280X/HD 6870 --> give the same result -- I use SMBIOS MacPro6,1 ...

post-197145-0-81352100-1403573164_thumb.jpg