356 replies to this topic

fusion71au

fusion71au

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts

@avin7000,

Yes, I was referring to Clover installs on legacy BIOS systems.

You can post a dual boot UEFI Windows/OSX install guide for legacy BIOS systems instead ;)....so many people still think they can't install UEFI Windows if they have a machine with legacy BIOS.

MilesTEG1

MilesTEG1

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

@avin7000,

You can post a dual boot UEFI Windows/OSX install guide for legacy BIOS systems instead ;)....so many people still think they can't install UEFI Windows if they have a machine with legacy BIOS.

That is what I thought !

But apparently I was wrong :)

But, I don't know how to do it... And what it does better.

What does it add by installing windows in UEFI mode ?

(because I have a windows on another SSD and it is installed in legacy mode (mbr partitions), and I can launch it with clover at boot (or bypassing the SSD with clover and through the bios launch directly the windows SSD).

midi ッ

midi ッ

YYEEEEEEP .... just try it ...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

@avin7000,

I already made a uefi windows on legacy systems in my guide sorry :3

fusion71au

fusion71au

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts

@MilesTEG1,

Depending on your BIOS, sometimes Clover doesn't play well with legacy installed Windows eg sometimes Windows won't boot at all or you get BCD errors.

The other advantages are from keeping your hard drive fully GPT - you avoid the 4 partition/2TB limit of the mbr/hybrid mbr partition scheme so....you can have multiple recovery partitions, OSX, Linux and Windows installations in a multiboot arrangement on the same drive.

@midi,

I hadn't realised you wrote a guide for that already :P.

midi ッ

midi ッ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts
I had many Legacy Systems and I made Clover Legacy with fake UEFI windows booting, both os x and windows worked like charm :)

avin7000

avin7000

avi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

I already made a uefi windows on legacy systems in my guide sorry :3

I am halfway through my tutorial :P link to your guide? 

midi ッ

midi ッ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts
pjalm.com/forums/index.php?topic=392.0 << here, it still needs some edits but meh!

avin7000

avin7000

avi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

^mine is bit different. It's very noob friendly (and entirely based on fusion's posts). I have added it as an attachment. Please check, if you think it's good, then I will go ahead and create a separate thread.

midi ッ

midi ッ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts
Amazing! Just to add, for the wim part, no need to unpack the whole thing, using 7zip is sufficient! Or going to %windir%\Boot\ and just asking, you added a OS X guide, which may be confusing to those "noobs" you may just point them to follow either the aio guide or their guide ;) other than that it's well prepared and amazingly explained, even if the use of HFSPlus.efi driver is KINDA depricated since I THINK (someone need to check) Clover already gives the hfs driver when installing, and you still need to give more reasons for "Why UEFI/GPT?" (And optionally show what's UEFI and GPT) ;) GOOD WORK :thumbsup_anim:

avin7000

avin7000

avi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

^thanks! yes, I will fix about 7-zip and you are right. I added OS X installation guide too, so that they can follow only one guide. And also you guys were talking about installing Clover on legacy bios (from here), so I added that too. I will check HFSPlus.

and yes, I need to add more reasons under UEFI/GPT. Please list some and I will add :P

Actually I want to create two tutorials:

1. Which covers both installations of OS X and Windows on UEFI

2. Only installation of OS X on Legacy BIOS systems (i.e. I can remove Windows related parts from #1)

But looks like #2 is not needed and I think it's covered in AIO guides

midi ッ

midi ッ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts
I recommend you to make a Guide to show how to use Clover Legacy and installing Windows (and linux too) using clover legacy to spoof a uefi/efi firmware :P
making a os x install guide will just gather bees around ya, and as you know, noobs are noobs, they need to flood you with questions, that's why I referred to this guide, so no one will have any question since this guide is so complete :) just make sure to tell them to skip the bootloader part OR to fuse them both :)

avin7000

avin7000

avi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

I recommend you to make a Guide to show how to use Clover Legacy and installing Windows (and linux too) using clover legacy to spoof a uefi/efi firmware :P

Ha ha, I have no idea how to do this :P

so which tutorial you recommend me for Yosemite installation? I will put that link instead of 'Installation of Yosemite' section

midi ッ

midi ッ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts
This guide obviously <_<

avin7000

avin7000

avi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

This guide obviously <_<

ha ha :P

This is a AIO guide and this guide, which explains Yosemite UEFI installation is quite different - http://www.insanelym...-2#entry2030113

btw I will add Disk Utility Debug menu and mounting of EFI in my guide

midi ッ

midi ッ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts
K
Its your guide anyway

fusion71au

fusion71au

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts

even if the use of HFSPlus.efi driver is KINDA depricated since I THINK (someone need to check) Clover already gives the hfs driver when installing, and you still need to give more reasons for "Why UEFI/GPT?" (And optionally show what's UEFI and GPT) ;) GOOD WORK :thumbsup_anim:

HFSPlus.efi was taken out of CloverEFI's "boot" file after r2986 (for licensing/distribution reasons since copyright belongs to Apple) and replaced with VBoxHfs-64.efi.  For Clover r3042+, you can add HFSPlus.efi in /EFI/CLOVER/drivers64 to over-ride the inbuilt VBox driver.

If you compile Clover yourself with CloverGrowerPro, you can also specify the "boot" file to include HFSPlus.efi instead of the default VBoxHfs-64.efi.

Advantages of VBoxHfs-64.efi - Open source, supports sym links and aliases but slow

Advantages of HFSPlus.efi - faster boot performance

making a os x install guide will just gather bees around ya, and as you know, noobs are noobs, they need to flood you with questions, that's why I referred to this guide, so no one will have any question since this guide is so complete :) just make sure to tell them to skip the bootloader part OR to fuse them both :)

Hahahaha...LOL...Very true @midi.  They'll just say "it doesn't work!!" and NOT provide details of what they actually did....

@avin7000,

I alluded to some of the advantages of GPT and why install UEFI Windows when using Clover in post #344.

Congratulations and great to see your guide coming along :).

PS

One problem with Clover on legacy BIOS machines can be the long delay in booting to the Clover Menu.  You can greatly speed up the boot process by using the "BiosBlock IO" install option (speeds the process of initialising USB) if your BIOS is compatible.

Also you don't have to install any drivers in EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI (these are for UEFI booting).  When I first converted from Chameleon to Clover, I followed BatcOuntrY's Non UEFI guide which mentioned installing EmuVariableUefi-64.efi in EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI.  I've since discovered this is not necessary for legacy BIOS booting :P.

midi ッ

midi ッ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Sorry guys

When I said "KINDA depricated" I meant the "copy and paste and replace" of the HFSPlus.efi, I use CloverGrowerPro and I get HFSPlus.efi (the performance driver) automatically :) so yeah it's not depricated, but the replacing is kinda not really used, and IMO I never felt/seen any diff between HFSPlus and VBoxHFS, maybe on some specific configurations, but yeah, better have the HFSPlus driver :)

15 user(s) are reading this topic

2 members, 13 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy