Non-UEFI Guide to installing OS X Mavericks with Clover

BatcOuntrY

62 posts in this topic

• 3 weeks later...

use the app C.C.C, Carbon Copy Cloner to  clone your  ML system to a External HD, if you want can install the boot loader to the clone HD,  then you can boot from the clone, very easy!!!

to restore the same, boot the clone and restore to where you need

Hi,

I'm using sometimes Acronis true image server 9.1 to backup and restore Osx partition.

Despite Acronis is basically only for windows, i found it works well also for

Osx.

If you restored osx partition on another pc , it looses bootable status and you must reinstall chameleon on hdd. Everything else is ok.

Best regards

PippoX0

I wish I had seen this two weeks ago. I spent hours figuring out clean install with clover and was stuck until I figured out pressing space bar to select inject kext on second boot. Now reading your thread, I feel confident on what I did is right. Thank you.

Hi, I followed the steps of this guide and I installed Mavericks in my laptop, all works perfect.  I made only one change in the "installation" of Mavericks in USB for wait only 24 mins in the installation. (Mount InstallESD.dmg --> mount BaseSystem.dmg --> Restore BaseSystem.dmg to USB then copy Packages folder to System/Installation in USB and change 2 files to install in MBR partition.).

Thanks for the guide, regards.

I made it. Thanks again. But I have 1 issue - OS starts only if I choose "Boot Mac OS X with injected kexts". Is this normal?

Sounds like you need to add FakeSMC.kext to /System/Library/Extensions/

you can either do that or your have your config.plist to inject kext = true or auto if you have fakeSMC installed in 10.9 folder in Kext folder.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for this guide. I am ready to try it but since my Hack would not download Mavericks (yes 10.6.8, used Chameleon Wizard to set plist.config, etc), I have received a copy of Mavericks 10.9.1 on a DVD. The DVD instructs me to copy the App to the Applications folder but I need to copy it correctly to a USB flash drive for building a Clover Boot USB. I keep seeing things like" this is not the same as other installs before mavericks". Don't really understand but, can I just copy the Mavericks app on the DVD to the USB stick?

I just tried to format and load Clover onto a 16 GB flash drive. I don't see what the difference between 8Gb and 16GB would make a difference but., when I follow your instructions exactly - I get INSTALL FAILED !

Anyone have any other ideas. I used Clover_v2k_r2444.pkg for this!??????

The Clover_Install_Log.txt message says"Can't find volume with the name /Volumes/Clover

If I use the Terminal and go to root / I find Volumes - wen I cd Volumes - I find my Clover volume mounted. I suppose Clover knows to load in the EFI Fat32 partition?

The Clover_Install_Log.txt message says"Can't find volume with the name /Volumes/Clover

If I use the Terminal and go to root / I find Volumes - wen I cd Volumes - I find my Clover volume mounted. I suppose Clover knows to load in the EFI Fat32 partition?

then in another thread

I have tried Clover v2k-r2428 and 2444.pkg under MacOS 10.6.8 and every time I try to build an EFI partition with Clover it fails. The text message inside the USB stick always tells me that it can't find /Volumes/Clover when the USB is titled Clover.

I manually format the EFI partition to msdos and prove that the EFI is not mounted first. Then I issue a mount/rdiskXsX command to mount that partition and then run the Clover bootloader.  <------This is the problem!!!.  With the pkg installer, there is actually no need to mount the EFI partition (nor format it) -and I'm pretty sure you have not unmounted it after doing the format (diskutil unmount diskXs1)

what am I doing wrong?

@mac09hack

Make sure the EFI partition is unmounted and then run Clover_v2k_rxxxx.pkg targeting the HFS+ partition on the USB ie the partition "CLOVER" if following BatcOuntrY's guide.  Can you post the full output from Clover_Install_Log.txt?  If you try to run the installer while the EFI partition is mounted, you will get a failure message :wallbash: !!!

Step 1 Format the USB drive using GUID partition scheme.  NB Even though we are selecting to create 1 partition "CLOVER" only, in reality 2 are made (an EFI partition is automatically created when we choose GUID).

post-846696-0-35826800-1389414494_thumb.png

post-846696-0-54031500-1389416004_thumb.png

Step 2 in his guide is optional (no need to format the newly created EFI partition on the USB drive) - so no need to actually use terminal for the install.

Step 3 Install Clover to the USB drive

post-846696-0-06204300-1389414656_thumb.png

post-846696-0-56448700-1389414700_thumb.png

post-846696-0-66485100-1389414760_thumb.png

Output from Clover_Install_Log.txt

Clover EFI installer log - Sat Jan 11 11:36:17 EST 2014
Installer version: v2k r2428 EFI bootloader
======================================================
/dev/disk0
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *500.1 GB   disk0
   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk0s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS OSXDell                 124.4 GB   disk0s2
   3:                 Apple_Boot Recovery HD             650.0 MB   disk0s3
   4:         Microsoft Reserved                         134.2 MB   disk0s4
   5:       Microsoft Basic Data SHARED DATA             249.8 GB   disk0s5
   6:       Microsoft Basic Data WIN7_X64                125.0 GB   disk0s6
/dev/disk1
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *15.6 GB    disk1
   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk1s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS CLOVER                  15.3 GB    disk1s2
Backing up EFI files

Installing BootSectors/BootLoader

No Active Partition

Stage 0 - Writting boot0af to /dev/disk1
/usr/local/bin/fdisk440 -u -f /Volumes/CLOVER/usr/standalone/i386/boot0af -y /dev/disk1

Stage 1 - Writting boot1f32 to /dev/rdisk1s1
File system is Fat32.
dd if=/dev/rdisk1s1 count=1 bs=512 of=/tmp/origbs
cp /Volumes/CLOVER/usr/standalone/i386/boot1f32 /tmp/newbs
dd if=/tmp/origbs of=/tmp/newbs skip=3 seek=3 bs=1 count=87 conv=notrunc
dd if=/tmp/newbs of=/dev/rdisk1s1

Stage 2 - Written boot6 (x64) to /Volumes/ESP/boot

=========== Clover EFI Installation Finish ===========

If you're still having problems, maybe try using a different USB stick.

Useful tip:  Making the EFI partition visible to make edits to Clover files (if you installed Clover to the EFI Partition)- thanks BlackOSX post

In terminal type

defaults write com.apple.DiskUtility DUDebugMenuEnabled 1

Then open Disk Utility and from the debug menu, select 'Show every partition'.  Now you should be able to see hidden partitions like EFI and the recovery partition.  To mount, right click the partition and select "mount EFI".  Conversely, to unmount, right click the partition and select "unmount EFI".

to disable, type in terminal:

defaults write com.apple.DiskUtility DUDebugMenuEnabled 0

@HurricaneX

You don't need a UEFI board to use Clover!  After installing Clover to my hard drive's EFI partition (following this guide), I was able to install both Mavericks and Win7_X64 in UEFI mode via Clover EFI- see this post by Pene.   This being on my 6 year old Dell XPSm1530 with old style BIOS :).

• Like 2

Thank you for this response to my question about using Clover. This has been very frustrating to me as I do have a background in UNIX admin.

I have tried and retried using the information contained in this post and using the link to the original article about UEIF.

This operation should be so simple! 

I simply can not get Clover to load using the script. I have checked and rechecked the creation of theUSB EFI partition and the fact that it is still rdisk (unmounted) not disk. No matter what I seem to do, the script still fails with the text message showing the content of diskutil list and at the bottom is says "cannot find /Volumes/Clover"???

There is something wrong and I can't figure out what that can be??? I tried to use another post showing the manual way to load Clover but it seems that the poster had his machine loaded with things other than I have access to such as fdisk440!

Trying to figure out what to do next. Thanks 

• 2 weeks later...

I just tried to format and load Clover onto a 16 GB flash drive. I don't see what the difference between 8Gb and 16GB would make a difference but., when I follow your instructions exactly - I get INSTALL FAILED !

Anyone have any other ideas. I used Clover_v2k_r2444.pkg for this!??????

I'm having the exact same issue on the same OS, 10.6.8. I'm using an 8GB flash drive which I used on my first hackintosh years ago, with Chameleon installed in ESP. The point being, if it worked for Leopard, it should work for Mavericks.

To go over my exact steps (I used SkylineOSX's guide, which is largely derived from rockinron's Chameleon guide in addition to this thread): 

1.) Format USB drive using Disk Utility, with GUID layout and 1 HFS partition

2.) Restore OS X Base System onto USB drive

3.) Rename USB drive label to something simple (i.e. "mav")

3.) Copy Packages folder from Install ESD into /System/Installation on USB drive

4.) Run Clover installer (latest I've tried is r2482, earliest is r2114), select USB drive with following options checked:

• Install for UEFI booting only
  • One theme
  • All of Drivers64UEFI except for CsmVideoDxe

The install fails, with the log showing the output of diskutil list:

(truncated for formatting)
/dev/disk1
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *8.0 GB     disk1
   1:                  Apple_HFS EFI                     209.7 MB   disk1s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS mav                     7.7 GB     disk1s2
Can't find volume with the name /Volumes/mav

I chuckled a bit when I first read this error log, since the script only needs to look up one line  :D

If I could figure out how to install Clover manually into ESP for UEFI booting, I'd be happy to install it myself. It can't be any worse than installing Chameleon manually, right?

@ecaslak,

Please don't mix and match install methods and later expect things to work.....the chameleon method you used before is different to BatcOuntrY's....if you follow BatcOuntrY's directions completely (not adding or removing steps), you will notice that the EFI partition is formatted FAT32 not HFS.  When you install chameleon to the EFI partition, it becomes formatted HFS and becomes inaccessible to the Clover installer (which expects a normal Fat32 EFI)--->need to completely reformat your USB EFI partition.

Also his install method is more "native" and utilizes createinstallmedia (in the Install OS X Mavericks.app) to expand OSX Base System.   When it says to type in terminal

sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Mavericks.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Clover --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Mavericks.app --no interaction

your USB should be named Clover, and you should have the "Install OS X Mavericks.app" in your Applications folder.

Finally this thread is for Clover installs onto older machines with Non-UEFI BIOSes--->you are potentially confusing other users since your motherboard has a native UEFI BIOS that requires different Clover install settings ie if you tick the box for "Install for UEFI booting only", then Clover will not install the boot files needed for booting machines with old style BIOS.

@mac09hack,

There seems to be a compatibility issue with the Clover pkg installer and Snow Leopard that prevents installation into the EFI partition (?failure to mount EFI by the installer)  eg if you tick "Install in ESP", running the installer in OSX 10.6.8:

post-846696-0-74459000-1399708616_thumb.

post-846696-0-07825800-1399708651_thumb.

You get the following in Clover_Install_Log.txt

Clover EFI installer log - Sat May 10 17:26:31 EST 2014
Installer version: v2k r2652 EFI bootloader
/dev/disk2
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *16.4 GB    disk2
   1:                        EFI                         209.7 MB   disk2s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS CLOVER                  16.1 GB    disk2s2
Can't find volume with the name /Volumes/CLOVER

You will have to either

• Install Clover to the HFS+ partition rather than the ESP/EFI partition