Non-UEFI Guide to installing OS X Mavericks with Clover

BatcOuntrY

62 posts in this topic

@bigpoppa206,

I made the change quite recently and haven't looked back :)

I discuss the rationale behind changing over in this post.

The best way to start is to install Clover on a FAT32 USB stick and experiment with various boot settings in its config.plist.  This way, your hard disk with chameleon is untouched.  Once you find the settings that successfully boot the computer, you can then install to your HD's EFI partition and easily copy Clover's settings over.

Also have a look at my posts in the Dell DSDT laptop thread eg here and here for some pointers.  I have converted 3 rigs over to Clover & 2 are old BIOS computers:

1. GA-P55A-UD3/Intel i5-750/ATI 5770
  2. Dell XPS m1530/Intel T9300/nVidia 8600GT
  3. GA-B75M-D3H/i3 3225/Intel HD4000

Useful resources

Clover wiki

Clover Instructions @Insanelymac

Sample Configurations

Clover Configurator

Good Luck!

Hi Guys,

I'm stuck at step 4 -

b.     Open the attached CloverBootConfig.plist using your favorite plist editor. At a minimum you will need to modify the SMBIOS section with your relevant information. Save the file as config.plist and copy it to the directory shown.

c.      Copy HFSPlus.efi to the directories shown

d.     Copy your DSDT.aml and SSDT.aml to the directory shown

e.     Copy FakeSMC.kext to the directory shown

I'm trying ton install Mavericks with Clover bootloader into a Dell Studio XPS 1640.

b - how / where do I get the relevant information about my machine (which is running win7 only... for now)

d - I managed to find a 1640 DSDT.aml file but nothing about an existing SSDT.aml file. How can I create one matching my system?

e - I'm not sure I'm using the correct FakeSMC.kext file, where could I download it from, can I generate it somehow?

Thanks

@Imothep77,

Pls read the Clover wiki re SMBIOS.

You can use Clover Configurator.app to help configure your Clover config.plist.  Open BatcOuntrY's sample config.plist and in the SMBIOS tab, click the magician's wand to choose a SMBIOS which most closely matches your hardware eg MBP 7,1 with core 2 duo processor.

post-846696-0-08441500-1391515896_thumb.png

post-846696-0-55397000-1391515949_thumb.png

You might like to try the sample config.plist below which enables ATI injection and the "Shrike" framebuffer for your 4670....

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
    <key>GUI</key>
    <dict>
        <key>ScreenResolution</key>
        <string>1920x1080</string>
        <key>Theme</key>
        <string>BGM</string>
        <key>Mouse</key>
        <dict>
            <key>Enabled</key>
            <false/>
        </dict>
        <key>Scan</key>
        <dict>
            <key>Entries</key>
            <true/>
            <key>Tool</key>
            <true/>
            <key>Legacy</key>
            <false/>
        </dict>
    </dict>
    <key>KernelAndKextPatches</key>
    <dict>
        <key>AppleRTC</key>
        <true/>
        <key>KextsToPatch</key>
        <array>
            <dict>
                <key>Name</key>
                <string>AppleAHCIPort</string>
                <key>Find</key>
                <data>
                RXh0ZXJuYWw=
                </data>
                <key>Replace</key>
                <data>
                SW50ZXJuYWw=
                </data>
                <key>Comment</key>
                <string>External icons patch</string>
            </dict>
        </array>
    </dict>
    <key>SMBIOS</key>
    <dict>
        <key>BoardType</key>
        <integer>10</integer>
        <key>ChassisType</key>
        <integer>8</integer>
        <key>BiosReleaseDate</key>
        <string>03/25/10</string>
        <key>Version</key>
        <string>1.0</string>
        <key>SerialNumber</key>
        <string>CK146C13ATM</string>
        <key>Manufacturer</key>
        <string>Apple Computer, Inc.</string>
        <key>BoardManufacturer</key>
        <key>BoardSerialNumber</key>
        <string>CK146C13ATM123456</string>
        <key>ChassisAssetTag</key>
        <string>MacBook-Aluminum</string>
        <key>BiosVendor</key>
        <key>ChassisManufacturer</key>
        <key>BiosVersion</key>
        <string>MBP71.88Z.0039.B05.1003251322</string>
        <key>Board-ID</key>
        <string>Mac-F222BEC8</string>
        <key>Family</key>
        <string>MacBook Pro</string>
        <key>ProductName</key>
        <string>MacBookPro7,1</string>
        <key>Mobile</key>
        <true/>
        <key>Trust</key>
        <false/>
    </dict>
    <key>ACPI</key>
    <dict>
        <key>DSDT</key>
        <dict>
            <key>Debug</key>
            <false/>
            <key>ReuseFFFF</key>
            <false/>
            <key>Name</key>
            <string>BIOS.aml</string>
            <key>Fixes</key>
            <dict>
                <key>AddDTGP_0001</key>
                <true/>
                <key>AddMCHC_0008</key>
                <false/>
                <key>FakeLPC_0020</key>
                <true/>
                <key>FixAirport_4000</key>
                <true/>
                <key>FixDarwin_0002</key>
                <true/>
                <key>FixDisplay_0100</key>
                <true/>
                <key>FixFirewire_0800</key>
                <true/>
                <key>FixHDA_8000</key>
                <true/>
                <key>FixHPET_0010</key>
                <true/>
                <key>FixIDE_0200</key>
                <true/>
                <key>FixIPIC_0040</key>
                <true/>
                <key>FixLAN_2000</key>
                <true/>
                <key>FixSATA_0400</key>
                <false/>
                <key>FixSBUS_0080</key>
                <true/>
                <key>FixShutdown_0004</key>
                <true/>
                <key>FixUSB_1000</key>
                <true/>
                <key>NewWay_80000000</key>
                <false/>
                <key>FIX_RTC_20000</key>
                <false/>
                <key>FiX_TMR_40000</key>
                <false/>
                <key>AddIMEI_80000</key>
                <false/>
                <key>FIX_INTELGFX_100000</key>
                <false/>
                <key>FiX_WAK_200000</key>
                <false/>
                <key>DeleteUnused_400000</key>
                <false/>
                <key>FIX_ADP1_800000</key>
                <false/>
                <key>AddPNLF_1000000</key>
                <false/>
                <key>FIX_S3D_2000000</key>
                <false/>
                <key>FIX_ACST_4000000</key>
                <false/>
            </dict>
            <key>DropOEM_DSM</key>
            <false/>
        </dict>
        <key>SSDT</key>
        <dict>
            <key>DropOem</key>
            <false/>
            <key>Generate</key>
            <dict>
                <key>PStates</key>
                <true/>
                <key>CStates</key>
                <true/>
            </dict>
        </dict>
    </dict>
    <key>Boot</key>
    <dict>
        <key>Log</key>
        <false/>
        <key>Timeout</key>
        <integer>5</integer>
        <key>XMPDetection</key>
        <string>Yes</string>
        <key>Secure</key>
        <false/>
    </dict>
    <key>Devices</key>
    <dict>
        <key>Audio</key>
        <dict>
            <key>Inject</key>
            <string>No</string>
        </dict>
        <key>USB</key>
        <dict>
            <key>Inject</key>
            <true/>
            <key>FixOwnership</key>
            <true/>
            <key>AddClockID</key>
            <true/>
        </dict>
    </dict>
    <key>Graphics</key>
    <dict>
        <key>FBName</key>
        <string>shrike</string>
        <key>LoadVBios</key>
        <true/>
        <key>Inject</key>
        <dict>
            <key>Intel</key>
            <false/>
            <key>ATI</key>
            <true/>
            <key>NVidia</key>
            <false/>
        </dict>
    </dict>
    <key>SystemParameters</key>
    <dict>
        <key>InjectSystemID</key>
        <true/>
    </dict>
</dict>
</plist>

Having a patched DSDT &/or SSDT is optional.  The above config.plist utilizes Clover's ability to auto-patch your native DSDT from BIOS and generate p+c states.

Slice's FakeSMC 3.3.1 works well with Dell laptops.

PS Please put details of your hardware into your sig (use mine as an example).  It makes it easier for others to help you.

Matty9119 has reported success with 10.8.0 and 10.8.1 in this post @OSX.net and here in the ATI Mobility 4670 thread (he uses ATY_Init.kext instead of Graphics Enabler/Injector to inject his card's ID).  Your most difficult task might be to enable your graphics card....you may or may not need ATI connector patching.

EDITS  Great!  Questions you have regarding fine-tuning your install should be asked and posted in the post-installation forum.  Once you have your system up and running, please add your config details to the Clover Sample Config thread to help others :).

Edit2: Install FakeSMC.kext and your Voodoo kexts into S/L/E with kextutility--->this rebuilds kernelcache--->should be able to do default Clover boot by pressing enter with the OSX partition highlighted (uses kernelcache, no kext injection).

To avoid issues multibooting with Clover EFI, I recommend that you keep your HD partitioned as pure GUID (with protective mbr.  Diskutil may convert the drive to hybrid mbr if you use it to add a FAT partition- check with gdisk as I mention in my post here).  This way, you can install both Windows and Linux in UEFI mode and Clover can start all the different OS through their own efi loaders.....

Ctugt's guide you followed in post #31 was for a machine with UEFI firmware......for a BIOS-based PC, the booting pathway is different

BIOS>MBR>PBR>boot>CLOVERX64.efi>OSLoader

OSLoader is boot.efi in case of Mac OS X and bootmgr.efi in case of Windows.

The boot file automatically finds CloverX64.efi and gives it preference over Windows bootmgr.efi (unlike most UEFI firmware that give preference to Microsoft's bootloader)---->no need to rename CLOVERX64.efi to bootmgfw.efi

Edit3:

Re Non Functional Devices: run System Info App (needs internet connection to access its database but can run also in windows & linux) and determine which kexts are available for your hardware - post by Cassio.

Re Wifi: Cards based on Atheros AR5B91 & Broadcom BCM94321MC chipsets will work for all 3 OS.

Re Sleep Issue:  Try adding boot flag darkwake=0 to your config.plist (under boot tab if you open with Clover Configurator) or a different PS2Controller.kext.  I can't guarantee either will work - sleep issues are notoriously difficult to diagnose & fix.

Re Themes: See my post in your WIP thread. Pls only 1 post install thread :).

@fusion71au

(edited my signature btw :))

Thank you mate... Now I can't wait to go home to test this !!!

I'll edit my message to report success (hopefully) ... or ask more questions :-)

--EDIT

Used your config.plist ; I didn't copy my DSDT.aml into the EFI partition for now.

Booting from Clover with injected kexts is now working and I get the "Welcome" screen (at - oh my God - the correct resolution!!!) but I'm still unable to use neither my touchpad nor my keyboard. Will try to load a voodoo kext and see what it gives. 

--EDIT

Used the kext from here:

http://forum.osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/1948-elan-touchpad-driver-mac-os-x/

Keyboard's now working but still no luck with the trackpad.

So I copied all kexts from here:

http://www.osx86.net/files/download/997-10-8-kexts-for-dell-studio-xps-16/

No more luck....

Actually I made a big mistake and left the old Elan ApplePS2Controller.kext instead of taking the one from the 2nd link just above... I now have both my trackpad and mouse working....

About to re-partition my hardrive and install Mavericks now, wish me luck...

--EDIT

1 hour later... Mavericks is WORKING!!!!!!!

• No sound
  • No WiFi
  • No Bluetooth
  • Video on webcam OK (launched Facetime & PhotoBooth)

The system is SUPER fast (using a standard HDD)

Hey...

Installed Clover to my laptop's HDD, was working fine but still I needed to hit space and then choose "boot without cache with kexts injected".

So I tried to continue and follow this guide:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/293574-beginners-guide-to-uefi-tripledual-boot-os-x-windows-and-linux-kali-on-an-single-true-gpt-ssd/

I installed the kexts (same as the ones I had on my USB "EFI/Kexts/10.9/" directory) to S/L/E using KEXT Wizard

I also renamed my boot folder in my HDD EFI partition as suggested in the above guide.

Now when I boot from my HDD, I get an error at boot, Clover is not even loaded...

I tried to boot from the USB using the standard boot without cache with kexts injected but it freezes on an all grey screen until it displays some glinches...

I'm stuck now and trying to manually remove kexts from the HDD. and rename back my boot folder to "boot"... using the USB installer.

The problem was due the renamed boot folder - must have misunderstood the statement on the other guide.

I used the USB installer again (Terminal --> mounted the USB/EFI partition --> renamed to 'boot') and restarded.

NOW: Mavericks booting without even hitting a key!!

Will try to resolve my audio / WiFi issues now, if someone has ideas, please drop them here.

--EDIT

Still no luck with audio when everybody says it's working... :shock:

For me it is only able to play sound through one of my airplay compatible devices but not through the speakers ; no entry device detected either.

Sound now working!!! I just used Clover configurator to change my SMBIOS settings... to MacBookPro 5.5 (instead of 7.1)

• For the Intel 5300 AGN WiFi Adapter, I think I'm gonna need to change my mini PCI-e card to another WLAN adaptor.
  • I also figured out my Ricoh internal card reader is not working.
  • Bluetooth still no working
  • When the laptop goes to sleep, God, it's waking up SOOOOO damn fast, but I'm loosing the trackpad (keyboard OK)
  • Inside Clover configurator, in the GUI tab, when I try to change the theme, nothing happens, I still get the same theme I installed when creating the EFI Clover partition on my HDD, whatever theme I chose eventhough I copied the themes in the EFI/Themes folder...

Can someone please help?

Please help.

I started the process from scratch with the objective to repeat a clean install and be able to write my guide for the Dell Studio XPS 1640 (Core2Duo).

I have completed the installation of Mavericks, but I have no more hair, since I've been tearing it off while trying to get sound to work...

I finally managed to do it during my 1st install, but I'm not able to get it to work anymore on my fresh install... tried every possible Voodoo/Apple HDA kexts I've downloaded, with no luck...

Please help

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I have a problem with clover,

When installed to a USB stick everything is fine.

Now i tried to install it on the harddrive. When restating the i allways get this screen. What I am doing wrong?

Please help.

Cloovboot2.JPG

Thanks in advance

Jean-Marie

@rubymac,

That looks like the Duet menu (Clover EFI is actually based on the Duet bootloader). 

You can get this if you press any key on the keyboard too early in the boot process - see post by kyndder in the Clover General Discussion thread and also Slice's reply directly below...

PS: Please put details of your hardware and software in your signature (see mine as an example).  It makes it easier for others to help you :) .

Edit: From Clover wiki FAQ

Q: A BIOS-like interface with five options appears, with Continue as topmost one.

A: This means that the boot file was successfully loaded and is working but it cannot find the file CloverX64.efi. Either the according partition is not found or the whole device. Explore the options and try to figure out what is wrong.

I am having a real problem doing this. I was going to start a new thread, asking for help. I Can start here. I just tried the Clover method and it failed to install Clover. I have tried several methods and so far, non of them are working. Help from someone would be so much appreciated. Ready to pull my hair out and I don't have much of that left these days.

I don't know what the new standards are for board architecture so I cant really problem solve this on my own. When I built my machine it was in 09 and the i7 was first generation. I am now on 10.6.8 and trying to make the leap to Mavericks. My board is UD4P and I just updated the BIOS from F8 to F13 (in case that was part of the problems I am having upgrading - apparently not). I am wondering, which Clover boxes I can check and which boxes I should never check? If I don't click customize and I just install Clover, it installs. But, I can't start on that USB without a crash. I have tried Insanely Macs DD script (my old go to fav) and Tony M and MyH and Clover and now, clover here on this thread. I just cant get it to work ... why? Can anyone, PLEASE, be of any help here?

With the different methods I have tried I have gotten a quick flash and then a restart as if nothing changed, a verbose boot for several screens then a failure error (non dramatic) and also a epic fail screen (YOU MUST RESTART!!!). Well heck, all I want to do is upgrade to Mavericks and get on with trying the speech to text feature so I Can write my book. Been at this for over a month now, maybe more.

Any help? Thanks very much.

Thanks. I know Carbon Copy Cloner. But I want something like Acronis. I read somewhere that Acronis don't work with HFS+ correctly.

Use Paragon Hard Disk Manager 12 Suite. It's beyond amazing, works every time, does EVERYTHING including HFS+, NTFS, and can even do them all at the same time.

I just tried the Clover method and it failed to install Clover. I have tried several methods and so far, non of them are working. Help from someone would be so much appreciated. Ready to pull my hair out and I don't have much of that left these days.....

I am wondering, which Clover boxes I can check and which boxes I should never check? If I don't click customize and I just install Clover, it installs. But, I can't start on that USB without a crash. I have tried Insanely Macs DD script (my old go to fav) and Tony M and MyH and Clover and now, clover here on this thread. I just cant get it to work ... why? Can anyone, PLEASE, be of any help here?

Looking at your hardware signature (I assume it is a GA-EX58 mobo) you should have no problems running Mavericks.  The fact that you have tried so many methods and failed suggests a faulty USB drive &/or operator error (note some USB drives can't boot) &/or BIOS incompatibility with booting GUID USB....

It is important if you don't fully understand what you are doing to follow the BatcOuntrY's guide EXACTLY (don't mix and match install methods).  Only tick the Clover install options as shown in post #22.  You DO need the customized options for this to work....

post-846696-0-03106400-1393020577_thumb.png

Configuring Clover

After installing Clover to your USB, you need to configure it.  Here is a sample config.plist that should work for your machine based on a MacPro 3,1 SMBIOS and nVidia injection

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>RtVariables</key>
	<dict>
		<key>LogEveryBoot</key>
		<string>10</string>
		<key>LogLineCount</key>
		<integer>3000</integer>
		<key>MountEFI</key>
		<string>Yes</string>
	</dict>
	<key>SMBIOS</key>
	<dict>
		<key>BoardType</key>
		<integer>11</integer>
		<key>ChassisType</key>
		<integer>6</integer>
		<key>BiosReleaseDate</key>
		<string>02/29/08</string>
		<key>Version</key>
		<string>1.0</string>
		<key>SerialNumber</key>
		<string>CK949TNOXYL</string>
		<key>Manufacturer</key>
		<key>BoardManufacturer</key>
		<key>ChassisAssetTag</key>
		<string>Pro-Enclosure</string>
		<key>BiosVendor</key>
		<key>ChassisManufacturer</key>
		<key>BiosVersion</key>
		<string>MP31.88Z.006C.B05.0802291410</string>
		<key>Board-ID</key>
		<string>Mac-F42C88C8</string>
		<key>Family</key>
		<string>Mac Pro</string>
		<key>ProductName</key>
		<string>MacPro3,1</string>
		<key>Trust</key>
		<false/>
	</dict>
	<key>ACPI</key>
	<dict>
		<key>DSDT</key>
		<dict>
			<key>Debug</key>
			<false/>
			<key>ReuseFFFF</key>
			<false/>
			<key>Name</key>
			<string>DSDT.aml</string>
			<key>Fixes</key>
			<dict>
				<key>AddDTGP_0001</key>
				<true/>
				<key>AddMCHC_0008</key>
				<false/>
				<key>FakeLPC_0020</key>
				<false/>
				<key>FixAirport_4000</key>
				<true/>
				<key>FixDarwin_0002</key>
				<true/>
				<key>FixDisplay_0100</key>
				<true/>
				<key>FixFirewire_0800</key>
				<false/>
				<key>FixHDA_8000</key>
				<true/>
				<key>FixHPET_0010</key>
				<true/>
				<key>FixIDE_0200</key>
				<false/>
				<key>FixIPIC_0040</key>
				<true/>
				<key>FixLAN_2000</key>
				<true/>
				<key>FixSATA_0400</key>
				<true/>
				<key>FixSBUS_0080</key>
				<false/>
				<key>FixShutdown_0004</key>
				<true/>
				<key>FixUSB_1000</key>
				<true/>
				<key>NewWay_80000000</key>
				<false/>
				<key>FixRegions_10000000</key>
				<false/>
				<key>FIX_RTC_20000</key>
				<false/>
				<key>FiX_TMR_40000</key>
				<false/>
				<key>AddIMEI_80000</key>
				<false/>
				<key>FIX_INTELGFX_100000</key>
				<false/>
				<key>FiX_WAK_200000</key>
				<false/>
				<key>DeleteUnused_400000</key>
				<false/>
				<key>FIX_ADP1_800000</key>
				<false/>
				<key>AddPNLF_1000000</key>
				<false/>
				<key>FIX_S3D_2000000</key>
				<false/>
				<key>FIX_ACST_4000000</key>
				<false/>
				<key>AddHDMI_8000000</key>
				<false/>
			</dict>
			<key>DropOEM_DSM</key>
			<false/>
		</dict>
		<key>DropTables</key>
		<array>
			<dict>
				<key>Signature</key>
				<string>DMAR</string>
			</dict>
			<dict>
				<key>Signature</key>
				<string>SSDT</string>
				<key>TableId</key>
				<string>CpuPm</string>
			</dict>
		</array>
		<key>SSDT</key>
		<dict>
			<key>DropOem</key>
			<false/>
			<key>Generate</key>
			<dict>
				<key>PStates</key>
				<true/>
				<key>CStates</key>
				<true/>
			</dict>
			<key>MinMultiplier</key>
			<integer>8</integer>
		</dict>
	</dict>
	<key>Boot</key>
	<dict>
		<key>Arguments</key>
		<string>npci=0x2000</string>
		<key>Legacy</key>
		<string>PBR</string>
		<key>Log</key>
		<false/>
		<key>Timeout</key>
		<integer>15</integer>
		<key>XMPDetection</key>
		<string>No</string>
		<key>Secure</key>
		<false/>
	</dict>
	<key>Devices</key>
	<dict>
		<key>Audio</key>
		<dict>
			<key>Inject</key>
			<string>No</string>
		</dict>
		<key>FakeID</key>
		<dict>
			<key>ATI</key>
			<string>0x0</string>
			<key>IntelGFX</key>
			<string>0x0</string>
			<key>NVidia</key>
			<string>0x0</string>
			<key>LAN</key>
			<string>0x0</string>
			<key>SATA</key>
			<string>0x0</string>
			<key>WIFI</key>
			<string>0x0</string>
			<key>XHCI</key>
			<string>0x0</string>
		</dict>
		<key>UseIntelHDMI</key>
		<false/>
		<key>USB</key>
		<dict>
			<key>Inject</key>
			<true/>
			<key>FixOwnership</key>
			<true/>
			<key>AddClockID</key>
			<true/>
		</dict>
	</dict>
	<key>DisableDrivers</key>
	<array>
		<string>Nothing</string>
	</array>
	<key>GUI</key>
	<dict>
		<key>Language</key>
		<string>en:0</string>
		<key>Theme</key>
		<string>metal</string>
		<key>Mouse</key>
		<dict>
			<key>Speed</key>
			<integer>5</integer>
			<key>Enabled</key>
			<true/>
		</dict>
		<key>Scan</key>
		<dict>
			<key>Entries</key>
			<true/>
			<key>Tool</key>
			<true/>
			<key>Legacy</key>
			<string>First</string>
		</dict>
		<key>Hide</key>
		<array>
			<string>Windows</string>
			<string>\EFI\BOOT\BOOTX64.EFI</string>
		</array>
	</dict>
	<key>Graphics</key>
	<dict>
		<key>Inject</key>
		<dict>
			<key>Intel</key>
			<false/>
			<key>ATI</key>
			<false/>
			<key>NVidia</key>
			<true/>
		</dict>
	</dict>
	<key>KernelAndKextPatches</key>
	<dict>
		<key>AppleRTC</key>
		<true/>
		<key>AsusAICPUPM</key>
		<true/>
		<key>KextsToPatch</key>
		<array>
			<dict>
				<key>Name</key>
				<string>AppleAHCIPort</string>
				<key>Find</key>
				<data>
				RXh0ZXJuYWw=
				</data>
				<key>Replace</key>
				<data>
				SW50ZXJuYWw=
				</data>
				<key>Comment</key>
				<string>External icons patch</string>
			</dict>
			<dict>
				<key>Name</key>
				<string>IOAHCIBlockStorage</string>
				<key>Find</key>
				<data>
				QVBQTEUgU1NEAA==
				</data>
				<key>Replace</key>
				<data>
				AAAAAAAAAAAAAA==
				</data>
				<key>Comment</key>
				<string></string>
			</dict>
		</array>
	</dict>
	<key>SystemParameters</key>
	<dict>
		<key>InjectSystemID</key>
		<true/>
		<key>InjectKexts</key>
		<string>Yes</string>
	</dict>
</dict>
</plist>

In the attached GAEX58.zip file

1. config.plist--->put into EFI/CLOVER folder
  2. HFSPlus.efi--->put into EFI/CLOVER/drivers64 & EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI
  3. FakeSMC.kext--->put into EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other & delete 10.6-10.9 folders*

* removing /EFI/kexts/<version> subfolders will allow you to inject FakeSMC.kext from /EFI/kexts/Other for all OSX versions.

With my provided config.plist, you will not need a DSDT/SSDT since it utilizes Clover's ability to patch the native DSDT in BIOS and generate P&C states to enable speed step.

Copy Mavericks to USB

Assuming you named your USB "Clover" and downloaded "Install OS X Mavericks.app" from the App Store into the Applications Folder, open terminal and type

sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Mavericks.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Clover --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Mavericks.app --no interaction

When you are finished, reboot your computer

• Press <F12> to access your boot menu as your computer POSTs and choose your USB stick (sometimes listed as USB-HD) to boot it
  • At the Clover Main Menu you should see....

post-846696-0-54253300-1393138245_thumb.png

To install Mavericks (step 6 of BatcOuntrY's guide), select Boot OS X install from Install OS X Mavericks and hit the spacebar....

then from the menu choose Boot Mac OS X with injected kexts and hit enter.

post-846696-0-26692000-1393138517_thumb.png

Useful resources

Keyboard Shortcuts while at Clover GUI

Clover wiki

Clover Instructions @Insanelymac

Sample Configurations

Clover Configurator to tweak config.plist (once you know what you are doing)

Good Luck!

GAEX58.zip

• Like 1

Thanks. I am beginning to think I have one of those non booting USB sticks. It's a relativly new Kingston metal 8 Gig stick. Any opinions about that? Mean wile I will try this other meathod. FWIW, I do not think I have been mixing meathods. I mean, I have tried many meathods but on each try I am pretty sure I am following directions. With that said I will very earnestly follow the direction that you have suggested. And, thanks. Cant beleieve it took 90 minutes to format this stick using the DD hackinstaller script. It wont boot with that stick in the machine so I might as well, nuke it and begin again. (explative deleated). oh well. Deep breath, rolling up sleaves even more, and a one, and a two ....

@ZoroLives,

An alternative to using a USB is to create an 8GB installer partition on a spare GUID partitioned hard drive (can be external USB) named "CLOVER" using disk utility....
format the partition as HFS+.....
and follow the same directions from BatcOuntrY's guide (substituting any references to the USB with the name of your installer partition).

After installing the Clover bootloader into the hard drive's EFI partition, you can then boot the Mavericks installer from the installer partition.

Edit
It is easier to create an installer partition on your working HD if your existing partitions are HFS+

post-846696-0-97076200-1393029485_thumb.png

I recommended a spare HD since installing Clover to your working HD will overwrite your existing chameleon settings......if you do something wrong, you may not be able to boot.......safety first: - get a spare hard drive for backups and experimentation :).

OK, remember that install guide. Installation failed contact software manufacturer, etc. I think the last time I tried Clover I tried a standard install and at least it did not fail, but then, neither did it boot. Don't know that I have such a spare drive at the moment. Assuming that if I partition an 8 gig partition on a working drive, the whole drive gets erased? I know in Windows you can reformat drives on the fly without loosing data, not Mac though. Am I correct?

Been at this for 12 hours today, most of yesterday, last week, etc. Might have to stop and return tomorrow. Apparently, and I made sure the EFI partition was unmounted with Clover still mounted, following the guide exactly, I get a failure to install Clover every time. So we are stuck for the moment. Without customizing Clover, it will install successfully. Cant boot later but it will install. Is the standard CLover install going to leave me in a bad way or can that successful CLover install be tweaked correctly later on?

Unless you have other ideas it looks like I should go get a boot USB stick tonight at Best Buy. Any sticks to get or to avoid so we are not here again tomorrow? Patriot? I would not have thought and still don't really know that this stick is unbootable, but what else can I try at the moment?

OK, that's enough fun for one day. I do appreciate having some guidance at this point. Tomorrow afternoon I will revisit this wtih fresh eyes.

@ZoroLives,

I suspect there are 2 issues causing problems here:

1) Some older motherboards will not boot from GUID partitioned USBs ie they will only boot if the USB has a single partition that is MBR layout.  This is the major drawback to BatcOuntrY's method.

2) If you have previously installed Chameleon to your USB drive's EFI partition (eg Digital Dreamer's automated installer does this- see known issues in Mavericks), it becomes formatted as HFS+ instead of FAT32 and becomes unavailable to the Clover Installer.  In this case, you will most likely need to reformat the EFI as FAT32 for Clover to complete the customised install (see Steps 1 & 2 of BatcOuntrY's guide).

Diagnosing the Problem

With your USB drive plugged in, what is the output from OSX terminal when you type

diskutil list

Please post screenshots to help diagnose the problem: In OSX, press the left <Command>, <Shift> and <3> buttons together (on Windows keyboards, substitute <Alt> or <Windows Key> for <Command>).

Workarounds

1) Create a 8GB installer partition on one of your hard drives.  It is possible to add an extra partition to your working/system hard drive without losing all your existing partitions but I recommend safety first - see my edited post #40.

2) Using Disk Utility, create a single partition, FAT32, MBR formatted USB on which to install Clover and boot the computer....here, the option to install into the ESP is left unticked....

post-846696-0-33983300-1393050540_thumb.png

post-846696-0-83031000-1393050563_thumb.png

• Configure Clover on that drive as described in post #38....
  • Create another partition on your hard drive (or on another USB), formatted HFS+ and named "Installer"

---->copy Mavericks to the "Installer" partition

sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Mavericks.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Installer --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Mavericks.app --no interaction

---->boot the computer with the FAT32 USB (set your BIOS to boot from USB first or press F12 while machine is POSTing and select USB)....

then start the Mavericks installer from the "Installer" partition/second USB (remember to use spacebar to activate boot options).

post-846696-0-86321100-1393071265_thumb.png

post-846696-0-01437600-1393071334_thumb.png

3) Try a different install method based on Chameleon eg The All In One Vanilla OSX Install Guide but formatting the USB with a single partition MBR layout -

"Motherboard POST Freeze

If your motherboard freezes during POST (you don’t even get past the BIOS screen) it’s possible your BIOS isn’t compatible with the GUID partition table of the USB we created the installer on. To fix this in step 2.0.5 select MBR instead of GUID"

With this method, after performing all the steps listed in 2.0 & 2.1

• place FakeSMC.kext and NullCPUPowermanagement.kext into S/L/E of the installer USB
  • install the latest chameleon bootloader
  • copy your old /Extra folder from SL (including smbios & org.chameleon.boot.plist & DSDT) onto the USB
  • ensure the mach_kernel is on the root folder of the USB drive
  • boot into the installer & use -v -f flags

OK, I am back. I picked out three drives at $20, SanDisk Cruzer 8 Gig, PNY 8 Gig and Toshiba 16 GB. All are usb 2.0.

Perhaps I need to be specific as we begin. I updated my boards bios and I used this board, the GA-EX58-UD4P (rev. 1.0). That link goes to GA's product page, its a 1366 socket. Some of the boot instructions says if you have MBR or MBR0 etc... but I dont know wqhat that means? I have an early version of the i7 chip, probablyt the second iteration of the design. It (think it) single steps but if memory serves I think they got that right a little better after my chip.

I have the SanDisk erased and I am ready to figure this out (again).

#:      TYPE NAME                               SIZE            IDENTIFIER
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme             *8.0 GB       disk2
   1:      EFI                                            209.7 MB    disk2s1
   2:      Apple_HFS Installer USB             7.7 GB        disk2s2

(My image, screen shot, was denied by this board. I used SKitch for my screen shot so it was easy to try png (not allowed) jpg (not allowed and gif (not allowed). My comments below reference the screen shot that my main 1 TB drive is at 999.9 GB. All show GUID partisions @ 209.7 MB

1) Some older motherboards will not boot from GUID partitioned USBs ie they will only boot if the USB has a single partition that is MBR layout.  This is the major drawback to BatcOuntrY's method.

How can I tell if my MOBO falls into this category?

Should I start from scratch? I have run just about every install method out there by now. If you want to suggest Chameleon, or Clover, or Chimera or the DD script or the hand over hand method, I don't mind. I just get lost because I don't really understand all of what I am doing. Following directions is one thing, but guessing what something means as a choice leaves me trying .... guessing .... that's how I have been at it so long, trial and error is extremely time-consuming.

One other question, kind of important. You can see from my screen shot that my main drive is too full and needs some serious de-duplication. I have pretty much backed everything up to the 3 Gig drive (not external as it says but internal). Once I get Mavericks installed, I still have work to do de-duplicating everything. But does Mavericks HAVE to be a CLEAN install? Upgrading the last several upgrades was not a wipe of the drive. I was assuming Mavericks would also not require wiping the drive first. Is this true, or not? Some have been saying that Mavericks wont just upgrade, that it needs to start fresh as a clean install. Yes? No?

Thanks in advance for the help.

------------------------------------

OK, trying: Formatted Drive Fat32

Mounted EFI partition

Ran Clover, result Failed

Tried everything BUT top folder, second item EFI, passed

Tried mounting EFI as FAT just in case with: newfs_msdos -v EFI -F 32 /dev/rdisk2s1

Tried Clover again with the EFO checked as the instructions show: Failed

Now what?

What about Master Boot Record VS GUID? One instaler method Beasty, used Master Boot REcord. If GUID affects some USB drives, perhaps I will try again with MBR (Oh, so  thats what MBR means)

Hmmm, that makes it with no EFI, which I guess is OK, so long as I can follow a guide?

I get:  DOS_FAT_32 USB 8.0 GB     disk2s1

Following your suggestion: Formatting my 8 GB USB to 1 Gig FAT and 7 Gg HFS+. Was not able to tell one partition to be GUID and the other to stay MBR so trying the drive as GUID now.

So far so good. Clover installed OK with the EFO unchecked on the Fat 1 gig partition. Dragged Install Mavericks to the BootMavericks partition, copying now. FWIW, I was a little unsure if I had the command line correctly written for transferring Mavericks installer so I just dragged and dropped. Should do just fine, yes?

@ZoroLives

What is GUID or "GPT" vs MBRLink

How can I tell if my mobo falls into this category?

I have a machine of similar vintage - a Gigabyte GA-P55aUD3/i5-750 - that can only boot from single partition, MBR layout USB drives.

Should I start from scratch?

Yes, there are too many variables as to why things aren't working for you and the use of automated install methods makes diagnosing the problem difficult.

You can see from my screenshot....?

Dude, there is no screenshot in your post like I requested.  The output of diskutil list is also missing the "Disk Type" column.  If your USB is formatted FAT32, it will show the type as "DOS_FAT_32"

My main drive is full...can I install Mavericks over the top?

Yes you can, but given the circumstances, are you willing to lose your working SL if you make a mistake and you can't boot into it anymore?  That's why for you, i recommend getting a spare external USB HD to backup/clone your existing working install and experimenting with a fresh Mavericks install.

What is your recommended course of action? 

Personally, I would try Workaround Option 2 (from my post #42) if I didn't have access to an external USB HD. 

It requires 2 USBs - the first to create a single partition FAT32 formatted Clover Boot Disk with an MBR, the second to create a single partition HFS+ formatted USB containing the Mavericks installer (can be GUID or MBR layout).

I will outline the steps to create a bootable Clover Boot Disk below.....

Edit: To upload files and pictures, you need to click "More Reply Options" on the bottom right, upload the file as an attachment and then "add to post" - this board does allow upload of png & jpgs - that is what I'm doing!

Sorry, I had too much info there. You might have missed my comment: (My image, screen shot, was denied by this board. I used Skitch for my screen shot so it was easy to try png (not allowed) jpg (not allowed and gif (not allowed). Not sure why this board wont accept my JPG or PNG or Gifs but say what it takes and I will gladly retry the screen shot.

Just tried the boot method you recommended. I thought You meant to partition the single 8 GB stick into one, the HFS+ For Mavericks Installer and 2, the Fat32 for Clover? If you are saying use two separate sticks, I Can also do that. Reading your last post, it looks like it might work on the single stick, but the partitions should both be MBR.

Yes, I am using the 3 TB drive as my test installation drive. It has a fresh BU of my min drive and if that works I plan to kill the dups and make the 3 TB the main drive and use the nearly full 1 TB for Time Machine.

When I first built this machine I had a RAID set up I Could boot to with two 500 GB drives. Hereby that is hardly ever used and that is one more problem I have to tackle to get all the dups off that drive. Yes I know, bad management and, I am really trying to fix all this mess.

PS - I just tried again with the screen shot. THe board says: "You are not allowed to use that image extension on this community." That was jpg, I also tried jpeg, png and gif.  :no:

Oops, you did say, SINGLE PARTITION... sorry, I will get out a second drive and try it that way.

@ZoroLives,

Yes, 2 separate USB sticks, each with only 1 partition.

How to Create A Bootable Clover FAT32 USB With MBR

1. Open Disk Utility and select your USB flash drive

post-846696-0-98333800-1393109117_thumb.png

2. Click on the "Partition" tab, choose 1 Partition and change the name from "Untitled 1" to "Clover".... then click the "Options" button

post-846696-0-86031700-1393109148_thumb.png

3. Select "Master Boot Record" for partition scheme

post-846696-0-96316800-1393109177_thumb.png

4. At the confirmation screen, click "Partition" to complete the formatting process

post-846696-0-20756400-1393109220_thumb.png

5. Open OSX terminal and type diskutil list to confirm the USB is now DOS FAT32 & named Clover

post-846696-0-66638700-1393109243_thumb.png

6. Double click on the Clover install pkg

post-846696-0-20676300-1393109655_thumb.png

7. Select your Clover USB as the target

post-846696-0-59300500-1393109681_thumb.png

8. Choose the following custom install options

post-846696-0-54109900-1393109720_thumb.png

9. Finished Clover Install!

post-846696-0-01573900-1393109751_thumb.png

10. Configure Clover as described in my post #38.  At the end of the process, the folder structure of the Clover USB should look like below

post-846696-0-43496400-1393110427_thumb.png

Congratulations!  You now have a bootable FAT32 MBR Clover Stick - if it boots, everyhing should be smooth sailing from now on :).

Follow the rest of my instructions from post #42 for Workaround 2 (if your bootable Clover Stick Works) to install Mavericks:

1. Create a single partition >8GB HFS+ formatted USB (can be MBR or GUID) and named "Installer"

2. Copy Mavericks to the "Installer" partition

sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Mavericks.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Installer --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Mavericks.app --no interaction

3. Boot the computer with the FAT32 Clover USB (pressing <F12> as it is posting to access the boot menu and choosing the USB).  Plug in the second "Installer" USB when you reach the Clover main menu ----> the screen will refresh & it will be detected automatically

post-846696-0-03835300-1393140458_thumb.png

4. Start the Mavericks installer from the "Installer" USB (remember to use spacebar to activate the boot options- you want to boot without caches and with injected kexts). 

post-846696-0-08802200-1393140518_thumb.png

Essentially, follow BatcOunty's guide steps 6,7,8 to complete the install.

Taking Screenshots in OSX and Uploading to the Forum

Press the left <Command>, <Shift> and <3> buttons together (on Windows keyboards, substitute <Alt> or <Windows Key> for <Command>).

The screenshot png files will be saved to your desktop.  After clicking "more reply options" or "use full editor" in your browser you see this....

post-846696-0-98171500-1393113731_thumb.png

You just need to upload the png files by browsing to the file on the desktop, attaching them to your post and then click "Add to Post".

Now finished Formatting the two drives. Clover installed, yep, just like your images (thanks). And, Mavericks installer is currently copying to the second USB stick. BTW, the PNY stick is noticeably slower than the SanDisk was. Both USB 2.0 but not the same copy rate.

Please tell me how you are posting screen shots? I still get errors and complaint that the board will not allow that kind of extension (jpg). Looked over the board rules and saw a certain size images suggested but did not see what image type?

I know about screen shots, although I am using 4 instead of three, crosshairs. Same end result though. The board is not letting me post, don't know why. I could show you a screen shot of it, if I Could post screen shots. Will keep trying PNG instead of JPG.

I just finished another boot attempt, and fail. I compared my Clover to your Clover Screen Shot, looks the same. I followed the instructions in the file you left for me (thanks). Replaced the plist, put the HFSPlus.efi in both drivers64 and in drivers64UEFI, and put the FakeSMC.kext in KEXTS Other and deleted the regular KEXTS in the KEXTS folder. All I can think of now is to run the DD script on the Clover drive and have it touch the caches. Isn't moving KEXTS telling me I have to somehow bless them or reset them or some such (step 4 in the DD script) ?

ADDED: Nope, the DD script cannot see the Clover drive at all. And the step four I was referring to was:  4) System boot cache updater.

When I booted I saw no images for either drive, NADA.

PS, maybe the trouble with screen shots is I have been dropping them on the post instead of asking it to look for them on my Mac. Let me try that ... Whew, was thinking it was like email, sorry about that Chief.

Please notice that I have done as you asked in the KEXTS department, cleared out 10.6 - 8 and added Fake to Other. However I see that the folder OEM also has this structure. Should I do the same on this folder? Since I am trying everything I can I am going to replace every instance of those files and reboot once again, ever hopeful.

ADDED: the app in your zipped files, Clover Configurator Setup, whatever that is, quits as I open it.

Thanks for all your help today. I have an hour left and I have to pack it in for today. If you have additional input I can still try things ...

I know I am tired of doing this but, I really don't understand why this thing that "should be" working by now, isn't? I mean, I am reviewing your nice well laid out screen shots. Since you don't seem to be on line and may not before I have to pack in tonight, I will do it all again. It's pretty straight forward, it really should work. So, why do I keep Failing? Maybe it's like that old line in a Jimmy Buffet song, "It was like the jitterbug, it was so simple it plumb evaded me". Trying to keep it light, so tire of this. Wah, there, I feel a little better, just. Sigh. :thumbsdown_anim:

Just rebooted after reinstalling and, same results, exactly. No drive seen on boot. OK, I seem to be the last man standing so, I sincerely appreciate the dialog and hope we can continue this at a later time. I have been sitting here too long and must pack it in for now. I don't know if I will be able to revisit this tomorrow (Sunday) or not but will definitely be back Monday. Everybody says this should be easy ... I know it should be easy, I am sure ready for that.

Again, my thanks. (Night).

post-328514-0-19810400-1393114283_thumb.jpeg

post-328514-0-74490400-1393115207_thumb.png

post-328514-0-25970100-1393116344_thumb.png

@ZoroLives,

You need to provide more information than "I just finished another boot attempt, and fail" - how and when is it failing?  What are you seeing on the screen?  Do you get to the main Clover Menu?  What keys are you pressing during boot (if any)?

When you booted the computer with the Clover FAT32 USB inserted, did you press the <F12> key while it was POSTing to access your BIOS boot menu?  This should enable you to choose the Clover USB to boot from (maybe listed as "USB-HDD")

post-846696-0-76323600-1393149113_thumb.jpg

---->Eventually you should see the Clover Main Menu

I suspect you omitted this step and the computer simply booted to your SL hard drive.  As an alternative, press <Del> to configure your BIOS boot preferences to use the USB first (this will also show whether it is being detected by BIOS).

The output of your diskutil list screen is missing the "Clover" FAT32 MBR USB - is it plugged in?  I want to confirm it is FAT32 and single partition MBR.....the USB that is currently showing is the second "Installer" USB and is GUID, correct?

For now, don't worry about the other config.plists in the OEM folder (the OEM folder would be used if you wanted to use the same USB to boot more than 1 computer).  The config.plist I provided should be placed in the top level Clover folder.

I included Clover Configurator in the bundle of files I provided to you since it is very useful for configuring the config.plist.  However it may not be compatible with SL - see Clover Configurator Download Page.

And yes, I don't want this to sound bad but I'm pretty sure most of the problems stem from "operator error"....you seem to have a great propensity to mix and match install methods and go off on tangents....

"All I can think of now is to run the DD script on the Clover drive and have it touch the caches......Nope, the DD script cannot see the Clover drive at all. And the step four I was referring to was:  4) System boot cache updater"

Whatever you do, please follow directions EXACTLY and don't add extra steps you don't fully understand....I have never asked you to run DD's script on your Clover USB....who knows what it will F4xcs! up?  There are no permissions you need to fix on the Clover boot USB.

Please post screenshots if the Clover USB fails to boot (can you take with your mobile phone's camera?).  I need to know if it is failing before or after you reach the main Clover menu?

In the end, I think you need to do much more reading to understand the basics of disk partitioning, hackintosh and Clover (why don't you study and read the references I linked to at the end of post#38).

FWIW I wrote this reply last Sunday morning and the board seemed to be having load problems. Saved it and am following up today.

You need to provide more information than "I just finished another boot attempt, and fail" - how and when is it failing?  What are you seeing on the screen?  Do you get to the main Clover Menu?  What keys are you pressing during boot (if any)?

What I get varies slightly per attempt. In the current part of this thread, following your instructions exactly, I get nothing to take a screen shot of. Meaning, yes I hit F12 and the boot menu comes up, just as your screen shot shows. Then I chose USB-HDD and hit enter. I get a blank, black screen with a turning prompt for a few seconds, maybe 5 - 10 seconds, then I get the normal boot screen.
What normal boot screen means. I started this project using the instructions from this forum using Chameleon. That worked for a long time. At one point my system crashed and I couldn’t get it back, couldn’t find an answer here and tried the MultiB method. That worked, so for now my normal boot screen is a picture of a tomato and my main drive while a progress bar diminishes. Same thing that Chameleon used to do. I press down arrow and I Can look at any bootable drives and right or left arrow to any drive to boot from. Then I can arrow down to Boot, Boot verbose, Boot Single User, Boot ignoring Cache, etc.  Sometimes I use AppleJack on my main drive by booting this way to SU mode.

Getting back to my earlier paragraph, when I get no response from the USB-HDD menu choice, it pops to the Tomato(Apple?) main drive progress bar diminishing screen. When I arrow down I would have seen the usb drive in the past. But in this configuration I can see no extra drives whatsoever.

When you booted the computer with the Clover FAT32 USB inserted, did you press the <F12> key while it was Posting to access your BIOS boot menu?  This should enable you to choose the Clover USB to boot from (maybe listed as "USB-HDD")
---->Eventually you should see the Clover Main Menu
I suspect you omitted this step and the computer simply booted to your SL hard drive.  As an alternative, press <Del> to configure your BIOS boot preferences to use the USB first (this will also show whether it is being detected by BIOS).

No, I did not.

The output of your diskutil list screen is missing the "Clover" FAT32 MBR USB - is it plugged in?  I want to confirm it is FAT32 and single partition MBR.....the USB that is currently showing is the second "Installer" USB and is GUID, correct?
For now, don't worry about the other config.plists in the OEM folder (the OEM folder would be used if you wanted to use the same USB to boot more than 1 computer).  The config.plist I provided should be placed in the top level Clover folder.

OK

I included Clover Configurator in the bundle of files I provided to you since it is very useful for configuring the config.plist.  However it may not be compatible with SL - see Clover Configurator Download Page.

OK

And yes, I don't want this to sound bad but I'm pretty sure most of the problems stem from "operator error"....you seem to have a great propensity to mix and match install methods and go off on tangents....

I will help you to feel satisfied I am doing everything that you have asked and laid out here.  I really think that I have but I remain open to my own error or anything to resolve this. Talking with a friend last night about problem solving in general I was wondering about the BIOS as a variable? One of the guides I did had me change the HPET to 64 from 32, which I did. Otherwise I think the bios is pretty much as it has been since I first build this. Is there anything you can suggest about BIOS changes good or bad for this board and Mavericks? It is still booting so I am sure I haven’t hurt the BIOS but with Mavericks I keep thinking there must be something I have to change. True? Not true? I know, you should feel satisfied I have followed all direction here first. "All I can think of now is to run the DD script on the Clover drive and have it touch the caches......Nope, the DD script cannot see the Clover drive at all. And the step four I was referring to was:  4) System boot cache updater" 

Whatever you do, please follow directions EXACTLY and don't add extra steps you don't fully understand....I have never asked you to run DD's script on your Clover USB....who knows what it will F4xcs! up?  There are no permissions you need to fix on the Clover boot USB.

I apologize.

Please post screenshots if the Clover USB fails to boot (can you take with your mobile phone's camera?).  I need to know if it is failing before or after you reach the main Clover menu?

BEFORE, definitely before.

In the end, I think you need to do much more reading to understand the basics of disk partitioning, hackintosh and Clover (why don't you study and read the references I linked to at the end of post#38).

I have been and as you are suggesting it again, I just visited the Clover WIKI page and was reading there. I will say that I will probably never be a full on programmer in some ways. I am not exactly a novice but you are right that I am missing large gaps of information that really hurts my understanding of the process I am now in. Part of it is me too, I am having some real issues with organization and memory. Doing my best to work around it all but for example, I can follow all the instructions but when someone assumes I should now how to zig when it is implied, sometimes I zag. For example, your pointing out that Batcountrys guide wasn't going to work as written because I was following the GUID instructions when because of this board I should have been following the MBR method. This is an example of why I need to have this conversation with you or your peers, real users who also have a board like mine who can say, OK you followed the directions but did you know (whatever) doesn't work on this board? Uh, no, I did not know that. And to make matters worse, I am having a hard time understanding why I am missing it?
My fault but frustrating for me as I am sure it is for others. Again, I appreciate the assistance.