[Guide]Dell Inspirion 17R SE (7720) Installation Guide

WaldMeister

207 posts in this topic

Nope... that didn't work.

I tried Kext Utility that rebuilds the Kext Cache and restarted => Touchpad did not work.

I booted with -f argument => Touchpad did not work... :(

I have to use an external mouse every time.... :/

Plz help!

What arguments do you use when booting with clover?

Did you change anything, or just copied the package i provided?

It's strange that the touchpad only works with 1 specific boot loader.

Attached my current PS2controller, works under 10.8.3 with Clover, if not, open terminal and type the following:

sudo -s
password
chown root:admin /
kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel
kextcache -system-caches

It will rebuild the kext and kernel caches.

ApplePS2Controller.kext.zip

• Like 1

Hey Bro!

I tried your commands:

kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel

it returned with an error:

bash-3.2# kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel

Kernel file /mach_kernel does not contain requested arch: i386

kxld[com.apple.iokit.IOAHCIBlockStorage]: The following symbols are unresolved for this kext:

kxld[com.apple.iokit.IOAHCIBlockStorage]: IOAHCIDevice::SetRecoveryState(bool)

Link failed (error code 5).

Prelink failed for com.apple.iokit.IOAHCIBlockStorage; aborting prelink.

Failed to generate prelinked kernel.

However I proceeded with the next command which displayed no errors.

I do not think the process was completed, but will report if touchpad started working or not after the restart....

One thing more, I am experiencing a hang of few secs and subsequent restart of the computer....It happens with no specific pattern..... its like, mac randomly decides to reboot if it experiences a hang....

I have used your downloaded files ONLY. Nothing else. btw, the EXTRA folder is still in place.

I guess m in some weird s*^&!, experiencing Unique errors!!! :/

Thank you for your help!

ok. Sometimes the fault is so small that you become too big to spot it... :pyth:

I feel stupid. :blush::blowup:

That Kext Utilty App I was using to install the ApplePS2Controller somehow decided not to work but displayed SUCCESS reports!!!

Kext Utility :laser:

I checked the S/L/E folder for ApplePS2Controller... It was not there! :wacko:

Copied-Pasted-manually

Repaired permissions, used Kext Utility to build cache... rebooted....

Yup, TOUCHPAD STARTED WORKING!!

:lol:

:D

Thanks for the help Lejenk! :):thumbsup_anim:

:yoji:

• Like 1

Glad it works now, what a dumb issue, would have never thought of that. :blink: (But now i know why i gave up on Kext Utility when i switched to ML :P)

May i recommend using Kext Drop, it will install the kexts with the right permissions, but for rebuilding the caches you would have to type the above commands, or use another utility to do so.

Perhaps i should have thought of this earlier, another way to test if a kext is installed (do not try it with system essential kexts, will probably give a kernel panic)

Open terminal and type:

kextload /System/Library/Extensions/kextname.kext

Will return something like this if the kext is not found:

/System/Library/Extensions/kextname.kext failed to load - (libkern/kext) not found; check the system/kernel logs for errors or try kextutil(8). 

Also:

Kernel file /mach_kernel does not contain requested arch: i386

is nothing to worry about, i have the same issue when rebuilding the cache, but it does rebuild. I do not know about the other errors, and could not find anything specific on it :/

I can see in your signature something in Speedstep/Sleep that it is done via Clover injection, also in the config you have some C states etc. I dont have these, but I did not had kernel panic, never(since succesfull config) but sometimes I experince shutdown issues, it did not shut down or it take toooooo much time...

Have the same issue since 10.8.3, good news on the other hand, after reinstalling, the kernel panics did not occur anymore.

Nope. My notebook has been in and out of repairs, they should fix it properly in 1 time, ah well. And due some personal issues i did not bother to look into the problem any further. I'm waiting for 10.8.4 and just hope the problem solves itself, but i doubt it.

I followed the guide, to a point. I have not gone the extra mile to install Clover as my bootloader, yet... a little wary of that.

Question I have is this... what's the safe way to upgrade the OS?

My install went 10.8.2, and App Store is telling me that the following updates are available for my machine:

iTunes 11.0.2 (I assume this one should be relatively safe?)

OS X Update 10.8.3 (this one I am afraid of...)

Airport Utility (also, should be okay, right? or will it mess with my wifi? I bought a Broadcom-based wifi card, so I have wifi working inside my machine)

MacBook Air and MacBook Pro Update 2.0 (really unsure what this does, but it mentions graphics, which seem to be a sticking point with this laptop)

Any advice as to what is safe to update and what I should avoid, or the best method to go about doing said upgrades, would be greatly appreciated!

Dell Inspiron 17" 7720 SE, 8GB RAM, 250GB HD (in second HD bay) running 10.8.2

Hi,

Hide the Mackbook 2.0 update, it will screw up the Intel Graphics.

About the 10.8.3, i can not remember what it replaces, just make sure you have an USB stick with Chameleon and the kext files provided in the first post ready, to boot with -f. If you get a kernel panic after updating, the USB will let you boot and replace kexts.

10.8.3 will screw up the Intel Graphics also btw, but there is a rollback for that.

iTunes and the Airport Utility is safe.

• Like 2

Hi Guys,

Really thx for Lejenk becaue I've finally installed MacOS on the external USB hd 3.0 and it looks a really great! I have only few questions because when I'm using MacOS I don't want to have my internal disks visible/mounted so the questions are:

1. Is it possible to disable internal disks to not initialize them at the booting? or somehow maybe it is possible to disable automatic mounting? Can you tell me please how to do this?

2. One of my internal disks is Samsung SSD 830 - Is the TRIM future automatically standard enabled? I have to say that I've used Niresh installation hackintosh and then I've copied all Extra folder from Lejenk tutorial...

3. I've installed additionally an official Realtec Ethernet drivers but seems that they don't work - fixed but working only as 10Mbit/s speed. Is there any way to run at 100Mbit/s?

< 4. My sound driver seems to be not installed > - finally fixed this!

But still problems with installation of Ethernet driver...

Cheers!

You can use any boot loader that is compatible with OSx86.

When you use UEFI boot, i recommend using Clover, when booting in Legacy mode, i recommend using Enoch, a branch of Chameleon.

If you want to use any other boot loader, just be sure the settings are correct, and all files needed are in the right place.

I have only tested and had success with the above stated bootloaders with this system, the files for both are provided in the first post.

Hope this helps.

Hello, I created a bootable USB stick with your instructions, but for some reason after choosing to boot into Mountain Lion the boot sticks at the Apple logo.

I have ACPI set and usb emulation is enabled.

For the most similar hardware I chose option 55 MacbookPro 10. resolution 11 1920x1080, and laptop option 6.

Any suggestions?

Hi paulbt1979,

Please boot with -v, my guess would be that the following line shows:

Still waiting for root device

Are you using an USB 2.0 stick? Then also download the IOUSBMassStorageClass.kext.zip and IOUSBFamily.kext.zip.

Place them in the Extra/Extensions folder on the USB stick.

Or use an USB 3.0 device :)

Hope this helps.

Try the following boot flags: -f -v.

Skips the kernel cache, and should load the replaced files.

Tried that still stuck at waiting for root device.

I ordered a USB 3.0 stick to see if that fixed the problem, should be here in a few days.

• 2 weeks later...

To disable the GPU, you will also need to add the following:

Method (PINI, 0, NotSerialized)
{
\_SB.PCI0.PEG0.PEGP.OPOF ()
\_SB.PCI0.PEG0.PEGP._PS3 ()
}

Lejenk, thank for your great guide. When I apply your DSDT.aml to my 7720 (3D display variant), it reports several C-States/P-States errors and hung on boot up. Then I extracted my own copy with DSDT Editor on both Mountain Lion and Windows 8. I found that they are a lot more simpler than your version. There is no OPOF() and _PS3() methods on _SB.PCI0.PEG0.PEGP. I suspect that something went wrong.

I am trying to disable 650m because Optimus always kicks in for the 3D-variant. No HD4000 is detected (with whatever methods I've tried) as it always says that NVIDIA is the only display card from the system report.

Would you kindly suggest me how to proceed? Many thanks!

Yes, it is a USB 2.0 stick and I have replaced the extra folder with the one from the usb_boot attachment, then I replaced IOUSBMassStorageClass and IOUSBFamily files. Also yes when booting with -v it is giving me the waiting for root device error.

This is all on the first boot before installing. Thanks for your help.

I found that I also need to replace the kexts in /System/Library/Extensions on the usb drive in order to bypass the waiting for root disk situation.

hi,guys

I try to enable HDMI interface,but failed.

I used the following solution(I am not sure which exactly webpage).

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/288241-intel-hd4000-inject-aaplig-platform-id/

I changed the aaplig-platform-id to 3.But only extend monitor can work. The laptop is black and can not work.

Any body can help to check ?

Thanks.

Hi china2834,

Use id 4. 

Code from DSDT:

"AAPL,ig-platform-id", 
                            Buffer (0x04)
                            {
                                0x04, 0x00, 0x66, 0x01
                            },

hi, 

anybody can test the hdmi interface? I modified DSDT file, but only extend display can work.

Dell 17' display is black ,and can see nothing.

anybody can help ?

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
                {
                    Store (Package (0x04)
                        {
                            "AAPL,ig-platform-id", 
                            Buffer (0x04)
                            {
                                0x03, 0x00, 0x66, 0x01
                            }, 

"AAPL00,override-no-edid", 
                            Buffer (0x80)
                            {
                                /* 0000 */    0x00, 0xFF, 0xFF, 0xFF, 0xFF, 0xFF, 0xFF, 0x00, 
                                /* 0008 */    0x0D, 0xAE, 0x20, 0x17, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 
                                /* 0010 */    0x02, 0x15, 0x01, 0x04, 0x90, 0x26, 0x15, 0x78, 
                                /* 0018 */    0x02, 0xED, 0x95, 0xA3, 0x54, 0x4C, 0x9C, 0x26, 
                                /* 0020 */    0x0F, 0x50, 0x54, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x01, 0x01, 
                                /* 0028 */    0x01, 0x01, 0x01, 0x01, 0x01, 0x01, 0x01, 0x01, 
                                /* 0030 */    0x01, 0x01, 0x01, 0x01, 0x01, 0x01, 0x31, 0x37, 
                                /* 0038 */    0x80, 0xBE, 0x70, 0x38, 0x24, 0x40, 0x38, 0x26, 
                                /* 0040 */    0x46, 0x00, 0x7E, 0xD7, 0x10, 0x00, 0x00, 0x1A, 
                                /* 0048 */    0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 
                                /* 0050 */    0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 
                                /* 0058 */    0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0xFE, 0x00, 0x48, 
                                /* 0060 */    0x44, 0x4B, 0x50, 0x56, 0x83, 0x31, 0x37, 0x33, 
                                /* 0068 */    0x48, 0x47, 0x45, 0x0A, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 
                                /* 0070 */    0x00, 0x00, 0x41, 0x01, 0x9E, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 
                                /* 0078 */    0x00, 0x02, 0x01, 0x0A, 0x20, 0x20, 0x00, 0xF0
                            }
                        }, Local0)
                    DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
                    Return (Local0)
                }