[Guide]Dell Inspirion 17R SE (7720) Installation Guide

WaldMeister

207 posts in this topic

Ignore the file, and just read the post, correct the settings according on your system, should solve the problemhttp://www.insanelym...-realtek-8105e/

Thing is, when I go to Network, there's nothing listed in the left pane.  If i click the "+," I get only VPN, PPoE, and 6 to 4 as interfaces.  There is no Ethernet.

Thanks.

As a seperate issue...

I'm having a little trouble installing Clover or Chamelon, because I left my Dell 7720's hard drive the way it came from the factory.

This means a few things.

First, the hard drive is setup as Intel Smart Response in the BIOS.  In order to get anything to work, I needed to change this to AHCI.  This does allow me to successfully install OSX as per the instructions.  However, this also means that I can no longer boot into Windows 7.  If I try to do so (just by starting the machine with the HD the primary boot device), it says that there is no operating system.  I need to go back to iSRT in order to boot to Windows.

If I boot from my MacOS install USB drive (as built from above) and select the "C" drive, it still fails.  Worse, if I then reboot to the USB drive, it doesn't load Chamelon any more.  It's as if the USB drive was written to, somehow, by Chamelon to say "don't boot Chamelon from this drive any more."  Does this make sense.

So, now I'm stuck not being able to boot into OSX any more.

I should note that I have OSX on the same physical drive.  Since the 7720 is a laptop, I cannot add a second drive (although there is a SSD used for cache).  I've tried installing Clover to a USB hard drive.  However, the instructions for Clover talk about creating a new boot option in the BIOS.  My BIOS does not let me create a new boot option, and doesn't even show the USB hard drive as a choice to boot from.

There's really several things here.

First, is there a way I can repair my USB flash drive to un-do the "don't boot from Chamelon any more" problem I've run into?  Or do I need to rebuilt it from scratch?  I suspect the later, since when I plug the flash drive back into a real Mac, it tells me "The disk you inserted was not reable by this computer."

Second, other than reformatting my hard drive, any way to get a boot loader that will permit both OSX and Windows?  If not, I'm OK with needing a "key" (in the form of a flash drive) to boot one or the other. 

When I built a Hackintosh a few years ago (dual boot to Windows XP), I recall using a Microsoft boot manager that let me pick which OS to run.  Does that no longer work?

Thanks, in advance, for any help.

Hi,

Install the driver from here, reboot, and follow the instructions in the previous post: http://www.realtek.com/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=13&PFid=5&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

Boot with -f to skip kernel cache. 

Since the 7720 is a laptop, I cannot add a second drive

This statement is false. you can remove the cover on the bottom of the laptop, and install an extra 2,5 inch HDD. This will not void your warranty. 

About Clover, if you go in to the bios, and select the boot options, set it to UEFI boot, this will allow you to add boot options. As long as it is in Legacy mode, you will not be able to do so. 

About Chameleon and the USB, i recommend rebuilding it, from what i see from your explanation, somehow the USB has been corrupted, what and how, i do not know, and the error you are describing is something i have not come across yet, so i do not have a solution for that. 

I recommend getting Chameleon back to work on the USB device, since you have access to a real Mac, this should not be the problem. 

Replace the contents of the USB device with my package for Chameleon, and you should be able to boot from the HDD. (At least OS X) 

After that, you can install any bootloader you like. My guess is that you are using Legacy boot, and so is Windows, so i recommend installing Chameleon to the HDD. 

If you can not boot Windows after installing Chameleon, mark the Windows partition active in OS X. Boot from the Windows DVD/USB, and run the startup repair. 

Now boot back in to OS X using the USB device, and set the partition on which Chameleon is installed to active. 

Now you should be able to boot OS X and Windows using Chameleon.

I do recall the method, it had something to do with adding the boot0 file to the Windows bootloader, i have no idea if this still works with the current version of OS X and Windows, in theory it should. But it is outdated, and there are easier/better methods available.

Hope this helps.

Hi,

Install the driver from here, reboot, and follow the instructions in the previous post: http://www.realtek.com/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=13&PFid=5&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

Boot with -f to skip kernel cache.

This statement is false. you can remove the cover on the bottom of the laptop, and install an extra 2,5 inch HDD. This will not void your warranty.

About Clover, if you go in to the bios, and select the boot options, set it to UEFI boot, this will allow you to add boot options. As long as it is in Legacy mode, you will not be able to do so.

About Chameleon and the USB, i recommend rebuilding it, from what i see from your explanation, somehow the USB has been corrupted, what and how, i do not know, and the error you are describing is something i have not come across yet, so i do not have a solution for that.

I recommend getting Chameleon back to work on the USB device, since you have access to a real Mac, this should not be the problem.

Replace the contents of the USB device with my package for Chameleon, and you should be able to boot from the HDD. (At least OS X)

After that, you can install any bootloader you like. My guess is that you are using Legacy boot, and so is Windows, so i recommend installing Chameleon to the HDD.

If you can not boot Windows after installing Chameleon, mark the Windows partition active in OS X. Boot from the Windows DVD/USB, and run the startup repair.

Now boot back in to OS X using the USB device, and set the partition on which Chameleon is installed to active.

Now you should be able to boot OS X and Windows using Chameleon.

I do recall the method, it had something to do with adding the boot0 file to the Windows bootloader, i have no idea if this still works with the current version of OS X and Windows, in theory it should. But it is outdated, and there are easier/better methods available.

Hope this helps.

Thanks. The network driver worked (took a few tries to get it to install without error),

A big thanks on the HDD. I had no idea there was an extra drive slot. I had a spare drive, so I was able to install it and put OSX on that.

Unfortunately, my BIOS has no such options. No mention of legacy mode, no EFI. But since I can boot to my second HD with Enoch (I know the warning). I'm good for now.

Thanks again.

Just wondering, has anyone gotten 10.8.4 or Mavericks on the system yet, also any solution ATM for the intel wifi?

I just used 10.8.4 (what is currently available in the Mac App Store) to make my install flash drive. No problems. Haven't tried Mavericks, but I've found (after weeks of struggling to install) that I have a very stable system.

Hi Coasterghost,

There is and will not be a solution for the Intel wireless cards anytime soon. The iwidarwin project has been stopped years ago, and i have not found anything about future development yet. 

For reference: http://code.google.com/p/iwidarwin/

I'm running 10.8.4 with the files provided in the first post. 

About Mavericks, it does run, but unfortunately, only with Chameleon, somehow when i use Clover as bootloader, it will stall on patching the boot.efi, it seems to be an uncommon problem, which i have not found a solution for yet. 

Mavericks runs with the intelcpupm patch, the Intel HD 4000 is recognized as 512mb without editing, only injecting the ig-platform-id in the DSDT. Wifi injection through DSDT did not work anymore, so it will need kext patching, i inject the Atheros AR9285. (Patching the kexts is not that big of a deal.)

I have not tested further, this was with DP1, think a lot has changed in the meanwhile. 

• Like 1

Have you done your's so it's Windows on HDD1 then Mac and Linux of HDD2?

Hi Coasterghost,

There is and will not be a solution for the Intel wireless cards anytime soon. The iwidarwin project has been stopped years ago, and i have not found anything about future development yet. 

For reference: http://code.google.com/p/iwidarwin/

I'm running 10.8.4 with the files provided in the first post. 

About Mavericks, it does run, but unfortunately, only with Chameleon, somehow when i use Clover as bootloader, it will stall on patching the boot.efi, it seems to be an uncommon problem, which i have not found a solution for yet. 

Mavericks runs with the intelcpupm patch, the Intel HD 4000 is recognized as 512mb without editing, only injecting the ig-platform-id in the DSDT. Wifi injection through DSDT did not work anymore, so it will need kext patching, i inject the Atheros AR9285. (Patching the kexts is not that big of a deal.)

I have not tested further, this was with DP1, think a lot has changed in the meanwhile. 

I have to update my signature, i do not run Windows and Linux anymore.

But in the past, OS X was on 1 HDD, Linux and Windows on the other. 

I cant for the love of me make the Bootloader USB, My only other hackintosh wont run Pandora, and the best i can do an a VMWare Mac from SoulTeamDev is make the DVD. 

What error do you receive when starting or running Pandora? 

In VMWare I can't mount the USB stick becuase of the SoulteamDev and 3.0 and Pandora won't even run, The other hackintosh I have is running Leopard. I think I'm first going to have to make a DVD iso installer, Install it to an old HDD on the system then make the proper USB installer.

It will only run from Snow Leopard and up, could be Lion. 

About the SoulDevTeam, i have no idea... Why not create your own vanilla VM? 

It was from a while ago from SoulTeamDev for VMWare. It's 10.8.0 and It really was a test to see if Mac worked on my system. How should I go in making the Bootdisc?

Are you burning a retail OS X disk to DVD atm? 

I'll have a look at creating a boot CD specific for this system tomorrow. I'll have to find out how to do so, has been a long time ago. Well, plenty of time at work to do so :P

Otherwise, google: How to create a boot cd osx86.

That is what i will be doing tomorrow.

I'll have a look at creating a boot CD specific for this system tomorrow. I'll have to find out how to do so, has been a long time ago. Well, plenty of time at work to do so :P

I'm going to try the SoulTeamDev 10.8.3 that has AMD Support if a sibling will letme. Then I should hopefully beable to mount the USB and make it. If I can't I'll reply back. I really don't want to create a DVD for it but may have to, I'll let you know if the AMD system works, since that has no USB 3.0.

I'm going to try the SoulTeamDev 10.8.3 that has AMD Support if a sibling will letme. Then I should hopefully beable to mount the USB and make it. If I can't I'll reply back. I really don't want to create a DVD for it but may have to, I'll let you know if the AMD system works, since that has no USB 3.0.

I think i figured out a fix.

Update: 5:09AM ET: Nada yet. I've mounted the Virtual Drive that I made the stick to my Computer and backed it up using Paragon Hard Disc Manager Pro 12, I then restore the flash drive to that and replace the files and restart my system, I Can't boot of the flash drive with UEFI and Secure Boot off. I just made a copy of the drive using New Image in Disc Utilities and it's over 5gb and I am taking it to my 10.5.3 system and going to restore it from there, and hopefully it should work. But It seems that I'm at all ends here. The ATI system when using the SoulTeamDev VMWare in which i can Mount the USB Drive, I lose mouse and keyboard. What do you think I should do from here? I'm using an Old 16GB SanDisc Cruizer as my USB drive. It might also help that that windows software I was using was MacDrive 9, that gave me access to the HFS+ partition. 

Update 2: I've been up all night trying to make this work, gonna get some sleep. The Restore Image is not working. UGH!

I'm On day 6 of trying to make the USB boot device but I can't do it whatever I do It seems to fail. When using pandora. Lejenk, is there any way to make the Pandora DVD iso fit to a single layer disc or convert it to USB?

Thanks for this great guide. I just seem to have an issue with my keyboard not picking up with this message while loading:

appleps2keyboard: keyboard probe fail

any help would be much appreciated!

edit: so I installed rehabman's voodoops2controller which allows for both my keyboard and trackpad to work.  Unfortunately, the trackpad doesn't fully function as I'm struggling with getting the trackpad to drag items(e.g. dragging windows).  It's as if whenever I move my cursor, the computer thinks that I release the mouse button although I still have it depressed.

I also tried the driver here to no avail.  And the version of appleps2controller in this thread allows for my trackpad to work but not my keyboard on my Dell Inspiron 5720.  Thanks again!

Hi dawntone,

Attach the voodoops2controller please, i'll see what i can do. 

@Coasterghost,

Sorry for the late response, the pandora DVD option should fit on a single layer DVD. Pandora also offers to create an USB installer. A 8gb USB stick is required.

Hi dawntone,

Attach the voodoops2controller please, i'll see what i can do. 

@Coasterghost,

Sorry for the late response, the pandora DVD option should fit on a single layer DVD. Pandora also offers to create an USB installer. A 8gb USB stick is required.

Lejenk> As much as I appreciate your guide, I too would appreciate any further help with getting both my trackpad and keyboard to work.  I've attached the driver that best works with my Inspiron 5720.  Thank you!

VoodooPS2Controller.kext.zip

• 2 weeks later...

My Pandora ISO is 4.93 gb. Currently when I run the installer it pickups NO Hard drive when I said screw it and burned that ISo to my 4.7gb dvd and then using a cloned USB drive from my virtual machine.Now I just have to get the right blend of kexts. I'm not installing clover till I get the right blend or should I install clover? It appears that even sofar my eithernet does not work, but that might a faulty cable on my end 

Lejenk, thank for your great guide. When I apply your DSDT.aml to my 7720 (3D display variant), it reports several C-States/P-States errors and hung on boot up. Then I extracted my own copy with DSDT Editor on both Mountain Lion and Windows 8. I found that they are a lot more simpler than your version. There is no OPOF() and _PS3() methods on _SB.PCI0.PEG0.PEGP. I suspect that something went wrong.

I am trying to disable 650m because Optimus always kicks in for the 3D-variant. No HD4000 is detected (with whatever methods I've tried) as it always says that NVIDIA is the only display card from the system report.

Would you kindly suggest me how to proceed? Many thanks!

I found that I also need to replace the kexts in /System/Library/Extensions on the usb drive in order to bypass the waiting for root disk situation.

Hello idpdystem2!

I have read this total topic, because of thinking about also to buy the 3D variant of the 17R SE. It seems, that you are the only one left over with it. I hope you have not given up.

I have read many other threads about mobile Kepler cards built in by various costumers. Apple uses this cards, i think, all wired to the mainboard, in MacBook Pro and IMac models.

We all here with our PC hardware dupe with help of FakeSMC an bootloaders the Mac OSX, that we have real Apple devices.

By using SMBioses of MacBook Pro or IMac assumes OSX, that it is running on this hardware with it's in an other way than on the mobile Kepler cards, we use in our lappies, give connector adresses. If this cards are built in with the Optimus and therefore muxless switched only by the operating software,  assumes OSX to run on this given fixed adresses and does the gfx-output by using the framebuffer of the integrated Intel graphics variants.

But this is on the 17R SE 7720 3D, as on other 3D able Laptops, not the case. The display ports are directly connected with the mobil cards in the same way as they are soldered on all graphics-cards for desktop computers with various adressings. But our port-adresses, as before mentioned, differ from the fixed adresses of Apple products with their buildt in Kepler graphics solutions. I am sure about this, because there is on the Nvida homepage an overview with mobil Kepler cards.

In the list of series 6, with manufactorers with their produced models, for each of them, if optimus is activated, 3D TV Play and 3D Vison able. For all various cards with 3D Vison abillity is Optimus as not activated listed, exept for some models of Dell.  But this is for certain wrong and a mistake of Nvida. As common known, can optimus at this times not handle 3Vision and 3D 120 hz display panels. Any of

I for myself see two possibilities, but there could be more, for solving this inconveniece.

On one side to patch the bios adresses of laptop cards to the Apple used one's in DSDT's and on the other side to use the not fixed  graphics adressing of Apple desktop models.

The first way, to find a solution, is in my humble opinion harder and lasts longer because of reverse-engeering of compiled code and has be done with the Vbios of each in Laptop used card and with it's corresponding Apple model.

The second method of resolution seems to me easier and faster. We should try to use the not fixed adressing for gfx output of Mac Pro's and let the bootloader do the work for us. Even if this does not work out of the box,  because of a to bootloader unkown gfx card, editing a DSDT with the needed infos is not so complicated as the first suggested way, to solve our common problem.

Even if there are problems, because there is no MacPro with HM7x chipset, with Cpu Powermangement and Speedstepping, these should bee easier, perhaps in the same way as for Sandybridge chipset, to solve.

Problems with battery-life don't matter for me so much, because I plan to use the 17R SE 7720 as desktop replacement.

Here is an DSDT-edit for the GT 650m, done by RampageDev. Thanks and credits to him for this. But attention: It is  from a 17R SE 7720 non 3D model (Optimus on board). I don't know, if the with questionmark´s signed lines must be corrected or not. I have changed the model name form "GTX 650m" to "GT 650m".

Device (PEGP)
            {
                Name (_ADR, 0x00010000)
                Method (_PRW, 0, NotSerialized)
                {
                    Return (GPRW (0x09, 0x04))
                }
                Method (_PRT, 0, NotSerialized)
                {
                    If (PICM)
                    {
                        Return (AR02 ())
                    }
                    Return (PR02 ())
                }
                Device (GFX0)
                {
                    Name (_ADR, Zero)
                    Name (_SUN, One)
                    Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
                    {
                        Store (Package (0x1E)
                            {
                                "AAPL,slot-name", 
                                "PCI x16", 
                                "@0,compatible", 
                                Buffer (0x0B)
                                {
                                    "NVDA,NVMac"
                                }, 
                                "@0,connector-type", 
                                Buffer (0x04)
                                {
                                     0x00, 0x08, 0x00, 0x00
                                }, 
                                "@0,device_type", 
                                Buffer (0x08)
                                {
                                    "display"
                                }, 
                                "@0,name", 
                                Buffer (0x0F)
                                {
                                    "NVDA,Display-A"
                                }, 
                                "@1,compatible", 
                                Buffer (0x0B)
                                {
                                    "NVDA,NVMac"
                                }, 
                                "@1,connector-type", 
                                Buffer (0x04)
                                {
                                     0x00, 0x08, 0x00, 0x00
                                }, 
                                "@1,device_type", 
                                Buffer (0x08)
                                {
                                    "display"
                                }, 
                                "@1,name", 
                                Buffer (0x0F)
                                {
                                    "NVDA,Display-B"
                                }, 
                                "NVCAP", 
                                Buffer (0x18)
                                {
                                    /* 0000 */   0x04, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x03, 0x00, "?"
                                    /* 0008 */   0x0C, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x0A, "?" 
                                    /* 0010 */   0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00                          "?"
                                }, 
                                "VRAM,totalsize", 
                                Buffer (0x04)
                                {
                                     0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0xC0
                                }, 
                                "device_type", 
                                Buffer (0x0C)
                                {
                                    "NVDA,Parent"
                                }, 
                                "model", 
                                Buffer (0x11)
                                {
                                    "GeForce GT 650M"
                                }, 
                                "rom-revision", 
                                Buffer (0x1E)
                                {
                                    "nVidia GT 650M OpenGL Engine"
                                }, 
                                "hda-gfx", 
                                Buffer (0x0A)
                                {
                                    "onboard-1"
                                }
                            }, Local0)
                        DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
                        Return (Local0)
                    }
                }
                Device (HDAU)
                {
                    Name (_ADR, One)
                    Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
                    {
                        Store (Package (0x02)
                            {
                                "hda-gfx", 
                                Buffer (0x0A)
                                {
                                    "onboard-1"
                                }
                            }, Local0)
                        DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
                        Return (Local0)
                    }
                }
            }

"------------------------------------------------------------"

Device (B0D4)

I hope my thougts can help a litte. I wish to get some answers an espacally results of trying to switch to SmBios of a MacPro, even if it is necessary to install temporary NullCpuPowermanagement.kext.

At last but not least I want to note, that on mobile workstations, like Dell Precision M6600 and Lenovo Thinkpad (I know, that these are Fermi cards), switching to SMBios of MacPro 3,1 have  successfully loaded the framebuffer and got them to wark with QE/CI.

Have fun!

PS: Sorry for my being a bit :offtopic: I hope it get no :tomato::whistle:

• Like 2