OS X compatible motherboard -> QUO

meklort
4,397 posts in this topic

I notice in your sig that you picked 1867Mhz RAM, was it on purpose for overclocking or you happened to have some already ?

Are you using the stock CPU cooler or did you get one te replace the one that came with the CPU ?

I got it on purpose to see if it would work, and it did (after some boot issues initially in which I had to boot with 2 sticks, it's been rock solid). QUO recommended 1600, but I like to push things. I'm using a corsair liquid cooled water block on my CPU. It keeps it pretty steady in the mid 30's to lower 40's. I'm trying to figure out how I could water cool my graphics card (thing is LOUD and I hate how it revs up on boot or wake from sleep), but I've never attempted a custom loop before. I know it can be done (beautifully) in the FT03 case, but it's a bit daunting for a first timer. I'm also debating whether or not to upgrade to a 780ti or titan before I do that.

There is not that much space in the FT03, i could not place a bigger radiator than the one that came with my H60. If i would be doing it again, i would probbly not go for the H60 ( i find it noisy ).

So my opinion would be if you water cool do it all the way... I love my GTX 760 but it is far from quiet..

There is not that much space in the FT03, i could not place a bigger radiator than the one that came with my H60. If i would be doing it again, i would probbly not go for the H60 ( i find it noisy ).

So my opinion would be if you water cool do it all the way... I love my GTX 760 but it is far from quiet..

I'm using the 1867MHz ram as well - 2 x 8GB and have overclocked my i5-3570K to 4.2GHz on default voltages, finally settling on 4GHz for rock solid stability. I also have H60 cooling.

What version of Mavericks ? I think my troubles started with 10.9.3 or 10.9.4 

I am also having some issues with 10.9.4 ....but listen to this ... Start iTunes press play ..hear nothing ...leave it on and after about 10 minutes .. pop Audio works.

Seems like it takes a long time for it to "sync" the audio format.. 

I am still researching audio stuff .. seems Toleda/Piker-Alpha have released a patch for AppleHDA ALC Realteck for 10.9.4, trying to understands what is the difference between that, QUO Legacy Package and TheKing's Audio Patch for QUO mobo (that is referenced in Wiki)

To be continued..

No, my audio works ok, only occasional "pops", my Maverick is 10.9.4, but I expend my time on Yosemite, I love this OS, my only problem is the mic, not that I really need it, I don't do nothing recording audio or chat, it is only that I'm a bit of perfectionist and I wan't everything working 100% :w00t:

@IronManJFF. 

Just a quick picture of my water-cooled Quo motherboard

the water-cooling is all fitted to the slid out motherboard tray so can be  just slide out of the case

post-342888-0-05685900-1410189949_thumb.jpg

post-342888-0-51073900-1410190055_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

@IronManJFF. 

Just a quick picture of my water-cooled Quo motherboard

the water-cooling is all fitted to the slid out motherboard tray so can be  just slide out of the case

Awesome man, thanks for sharing.

No, my audio works ok, only occasional "pops", my Maverick is 10.9.4, but I expend my time on Yosemite, I love this OS, my only problem is the mic, not that I really need it, I don't do nothing recording audio or chat, it is only that I'm a bit of perfectionist and I wan't everything working 100% :w00t:

Will give a try to Piker-Alpha's (where you don't patch AppleHDA but create a new Kernel Extension to be included into /S/L/E )when I get back home...the benefit of this method is that you don't have to repatch after a System Update.

The script also support Yosemite (I don't run it) but will let you know how it runs on Mavericks

Be careful and have a backup or Time Machine to restore, I did some experiments with that before and brick my installation, to the date the best option is tHE KING  installer, the only problem is it is made for Maverick not Yosemite, I hope he surf this tread and put some effort in Yosemite audio, I understand this is beta and he must be waiting for the real thing to put his efforts, anyway, this mobo is amazing and is the closest to foolproof I have seen. :yes:

Applied Piker-Alpha ALC Patch ... Rebooted and started iTunes and sound works thru Green connector (labeled internal speaker in Sound Preferences).

Note 1 : Not able to configure any setup besides stereo (haven't tried with aggregate device since I don't need it)

Note 2 : Quo Audio Update list more ports but seems to have issue with 10.9.4 so I might stay on this patch until 10.9.5 or Quo Update gets updated (if ever) or until I understand better how this all works

Note 3 for elviejo  Yosemite will not load a kext that is to signed with a dev certificate unless ... nvram boot-args=kext-dev-mode=1 (I did not test this) or unless you ran Trim Enabler 3.2.5 which has to do it for you to enable TRIM support for 3rd party SSD on Yosemite

ALC892.png

Be careful and have a backup or Time Machine to restore, I did some experiments with that before and brick my installation, to the date the best option is tHE KING  installer, the only problem is it is made for Maverick not Yosemite, I hope he surf this tread and put some effort in Yosemite audio, I understand this is beta and he must be waiting for the real thing to put his efforts, anyway, this mobo is amazing and is the closest to foolproof I have seen. :yes:

Careful is my middle name 

Drives.png

I have both, the boot arguments and the Trim enabled. Glad you solved your problem, I reflashed the bios and the pops in the audio are gone, but, still no mic, are your mic working?

P.S. I'm going to try with another mic as soon I remember where I have it. :drool:

I do not have a mic that fits into the on-board audio .. i am currently using my old iSight connected thru the FireWire port, My M-Audio FW-410 now resides with my MBP

Waiting for Alesis Core-1 so I can plug my stage mic (directional)  on my Hack, great for gaming ..blast those sound effects and it does not gets into your mic 

ONBOARD SOUND IN YOSEMITE 10.10 BETA

I read your posts with interest so i tried this

1)Downloaded TrimEnabler 3.2.6. and ran the installer rebooted . ran trim enabler installer again  (as it didn't activate the first time.) reboot

2)Ran QUO Audio Update. pkg by KING . choose 10.9 from the dropdown installed to HD reboot

3) Ran kext wizard  and kext utilities 

I have only tried the green plug that works. i don't have a pluged mic to try 

I hope this helps ppl a little

This was only to get onboard sound working 

HDMI WORKED OOTB

post-342888-0-46312000-1410227308_thumb.png

post-342888-0-70429600-1410227490_thumb.png

This got me thinking that maybe QUO Audio Update as to be ran on top of a vanilla AppleHDA kext and not a patched one ( like patched by itself ) will give it another go tomorrow.. Just to make sure my troubles were not caused by some corruption...

This got me thinking that maybe QUO Audio Update as to be ran on top of a vanilla AppleHDA kext and not a patched one ( like patched by itself ) will give it another go tomorrow.. Just to make sure my troubles were not caused by some corruption...

I said several times to run the patcher/installer only on original kext.

Anyway, next BIOS will use VoodooHda for onboard and AppleHda for discrete GFX HDMI/DP audio, this means no more patching to get sound working. ;)

• Like 2

I am pretty sure that is what I originally did, but I like to be double-sure, so I will re-run the procedure from QUO Audio Update ...  (will simply move AppleHDA892.kext outside of /S/L/E) and re-apply

Question : Once I have a patched AppleHDA.kext , can it be simply renamed let's say TheKingHDA.kext and live alongside AppleHDA.kext (unpatched) or is it more complicated than that (like editing a bunch of plist files and such) ?

next BIOS will use VoodooHda for onboard and AppleHda for discrete GFX HDMI/DP audio, this means no more patching to get sound working.

Thanks TheKing, it is good to know that there is still work being done to improve the BIOS. Any other teaser you want to throw our way ?

Does anyone has an idea to solve this mystery ..... :

/Library/Preferences/Audio/com.apple.audio.DeviceSettings.plist  has entries from devices that are no longer present and drivers have been removed , I delete the file , it gets recreated and those entries  are being re-created as well , where do they come from ? How do I get rid of them/tell the system to only look at what is currently there ?
See below an example of such entry from my M-Audio FW410

Thanks

<key>com_m_audio_FWEngine1:0xD6C0100194066</key>
	<dict>
		<key>controls</key>
		<array>
			<dict>
				<key>element</key>
				<integer>1</integer>
				<key>page</key>
				<integer>0</integer>
				<key>scope</key>
				<integer>1768845428</integer>
				<key>selector</key>
				<integer>1987013741</integer>
				<key>value</key>
				<real>1</real>
			</dict>
			<dict>
				<key>element</key>
				<integer>2</integer>
				<key>page</key>
				<integer>0</integer>
				<key>scope</key>
				<integer>1768845428</integer>
				<key>selector</key>
				<key>value</key>
				<real>1</real>
			</dict>
			<dict>
				<key>element</key>
				<integer>0</integer>
				<key>page</key>
				<integer>0</integer>
				<key>scope</key>
				<integer>1869968496</integer>
				<key>selector</key>
				<key>value</key>
				<real>1</real>
			</dict>
			<dict>
				<key>element</key>
				<integer>1</integer>
				<key>page</key>
				<integer>0</integer>
				<key>scope</key>
				<key>selector</key>
				<key>value</key>
				<real>1</real>
			</dict>
			<dict>
				<key>element</key>
				<integer>2</integer>
				<key>page</key>
				<integer>0</integer>
				<key>scope</key>
				<key>selector</key>
				<key>value</key>
				<real>1</real>
			</dict>
			<dict>
				<key>element</key>
				<integer>3</integer>
				<key>page</key>
				<integer>0</integer>
				<key>scope</key>
				<key>selector</key>
				<key>value</key>
				<real>1</real>
			</dict>
			<dict>
				<key>element</key>
				<integer>4</integer>
				<key>page</key>
				<integer>0</integer>
				<key>scope</key>
				<key>selector</key>
				<key>value</key>
				<real>1</real>
			</dict>
			<dict>
				<key>element</key>
				<integer>5</integer>
				<key>page</key>
				<integer>0</integer>
				<key>scope</key>
				<key>selector</key>
				<key>value</key>
				<real>1</real>
			</dict>
			<dict>
				<key>element</key>
				<integer>6</integer>
				<key>page</key>
				<integer>0</integer>
				<key>scope</key>
				<key>selector</key>
				<key>value</key>
				<real>1</real>
			</dict>
			<dict>
				<key>element</key>
				<integer>7</integer>
				<key>page</key>
				<integer>0</integer>
				<key>scope</key>
				<key>selector</key>
				<key>value</key>
				<real>1</real>
			</dict>
			<dict>
				<key>element</key>
				<integer>8</integer>
				<key>page</key>
				<integer>0</integer>
				<key>scope</key>
				<key>selector</key>
				<key>value</key>
				<real>1</real>
			</dict>
			<dict>
				<key>element</key>
				<integer>9</integer>
				<key>page</key>
				<integer>0</integer>
				<key>scope</key>
				<key>selector</key>
				<key>value</key>
				<real>1</real>
			</dict>
			<dict>
				<key>element</key>
				<integer>10</integer>
				<key>page</key>
				<integer>0</integer>
				<key>scope</key>
				<key>selector</key>
				<key>value</key>
				<real>1</real>
			</dict>
		</array>
		<key>input streams</key>
		<array>
			<dict>
				<key>bits per channel</key>
				<integer>24</integer>
				<key>bytes per frame</key>
				<integer>16</integer>
				<key>bytes per packet</key>
				<integer>16</integer>
				<key>channels per frame</key>
				<integer>4</integer>
				<key>format flags</key>
				<integer>6</integer>
				<key>format id</key>
				<integer>1819304813</integer>
				<key>frames per packet</key>
				<integer>1</integer>
				<key>sample rate</key>
				<real>44100</real>
			</dict>
		</array>
		<key>output streams</key>
		<array>
			<dict>
				<key>bits per channel</key>
				<integer>24</integer>
				<key>bytes per frame</key>
				<integer>40</integer>
				<key>bytes per packet</key>
				<integer>40</integer>
				<key>channels per frame</key>
				<integer>10</integer>
				<key>format flags</key>
				<integer>6</integer>
				<key>format id</key>
				<integer>1819304813</integer>
				<key>frames per packet</key>
				<integer>1</integer>
				<key>sample rate</key>
				<real>44100</real>
			</dict>
		</array>
	</dict>
	<key>com_senstic_driver_PocketAudioEngine:0</key>
	<dict>
		<key>controls</key>
		<array/>
	</dict>

Anyway, next BIOS will use VoodooHda for onboard and AppleHda for discrete GFX HDMI/DP audio, this means no more patching to get sound working. ;)

Good to hear, this means we will have a 100% working Hackintosh? (looks more close to a Macintosh than a Hackintosh. :hysterical: ).

• Like 1