OS X compatible motherboard -> QUO

meklort
4,397 posts in this topic

The good thing about the MB (if it's going to be as described) that a user can install OS X as easy as Windows or Linux. It's cool and exacting, but IMO boring.

For me the whole Hackintosh thing is mostly about overcoming technical difficulties, doing things that are not done easily. In other words the game itself is more important then the result. No pain, no game :) It's just the way I see it.

From developers' point of view it (the development of the MB) most likely is the same exacting thing (overcoming technical difficulties) as installation of OS X is for some. So I can understand all the joy about it. And I do respect the effort and hope it will be success.

An easiness of install may have few negative side effects. Though it may also stimulate some new ideas. Let's wait and see...

• Like 2

Sorry about wrong link that is right > http://www.techbuy.c...Z77MX-D3HTH.asp

and of course you are right to close your ears and your eyes and like to buy at any price you just want.

So I was right, you want it to be cheaper then GA-Z77MX-D3H TH even is superiour in every aspect.

This prove what I said and will be my last reply to you...

And that is my Passport on Hackint0sh community.. :moil:

I fail to see your contribution...

• Like 1

The good thing about the MB (if it's going to be as described) that a user can install OS X as easy as Windows or Linux. It's cool and exacting, but IMO boring.

For me the whole Hackintosh thing is mostly about overcoming technical difficulties, doing things that are not done easily. In other words the game itself is more important then the result. No pain, no game :) It's just the way I see it.

From developers' point of view it (the development of the MB) most likely is the same exacting thing (overcoming technical difficulties) as installation of OS X is for some. So I can understand all the joy about it. And I do respect the effort and hope it will be success.

An easiness of install may have few negative side effects. Thou it may also stimulate some new ideas. Let's wait and see...

Yes it will be exactelly the same, I have the second EVT sample and touch it every day, still can't believe it was possible.. :)

People know what I think about clone makers, closed source and {censored} like that, at first I didn't looked good at QUO until iztech talked with me and told me what he is trying to do, that did ring a bell in my head, and I said what a heck this was never done before!

I saw the oportunitty to move hackint0sh 'scene' beyond the actual limits and pieces, this is not just about making a motherboard with hardware that 'fits' OS X needs, just think why projects like coreboot does not have big success, because developers are not working on same project, just imagine how would be to get the majority of osx86 developers to work on this one...

The AOS stands for more, no vendor test on all OS's, you know they say '"íf works on windows is fine..'', we are doing several tests on Windows and Linux to make sure works as good as on OS X or even better if possible(sic!), and more then that everything we add/change in firmware will be open source!

From my point of view the fun just starts...

• Like 1

@ Moviemakergr

We do understand your point of view, but I would like to remind you that in this topic, kindly started by meklort, we would like to talk about this motherboard and not other stuff. So please, if you want to talk about other things do it in another topic. You are dirtying this topic.

I smell something else here....

I'm going to think about the same.

• Like 2

This is very cool.

A great innovative idea :D

Id buy it soon as I could get my hands on it, only thing I personally would like to be added is at least one Pci port for my soundcard.

Most PCI soundcards aren't supported in 10.7/10.8 anymore, because the manufacturers refuse to update the drivers. And i can understand them, they're interested to sell new products instead of wasting their time on supporting outdated 10+ years old technology. I'm selling my RME 9632 card soon, would you like to buy it? :)

Id buy it soon as I could get my hands on it, only thing I personally would like to be added is at least one Pci port for my soundcard.

XLR explained very well the reason to not include a PCI slot and instead have more PCIe, for audio geeks we added FireWire 800, even a Thunderbolt 2 FireWire adapter can be used, is hard to decide what to do in Micro ATX space...

This is very cool idea to made mobo like this ! Just tell me why ALC892 and not a codec that can be found in Mac ?

ALC889A(PC name for 885) is EOL, 885 is for Apple only and EOL too.

AD1988b EOL.

Others still supported EOL.

CirusLogic makes only for Apple...

So what was left is ALC892 or 898, since 898 didnt fit AOS standards(has some problems) we decided for 892.

• Like 1

So what was left is ALC892 or 898, since 898 didnt fit AOS standards(has some problems) we decided for 892.

How will therefore implemented support for this chip in Mac OS X.

Will there be a required patch AppleHDA, or maybe you use VoodooHDA.

How will therefore implemented support for this chip in Mac OS X.

Will there be a required patch AppleHDA, or maybe you use VoodooHDA.

We will not be using VoodooHDA. We worked for months on Audio chipset choices.

Everything will be seamless.

The only thing we were would have wanted was 2 Intel LAN ports for bonding purposes. But that is in our plans on all future projects.

The idea here is to bring better hardware to system builders and we have worked very hard on a quality product.

We appreciate all the postive vibe that is coming.

• Like 8

First off - Awesome new design on the web page - SOOOOO much better than before!

Second - did I see the price listed for the MB on pre-order status at $219? That a pretty reasonable price considering all that is on there. Its a little more pricy then similar boards, but its also got things on there that others don't, and I really like the open-source BIOS. I think that even if you like to make a system from scratch and test out what you can do, this is still a good board. If I hadn't already bully my rig, I would be first in line buying this MB and makes me dream about building another rig. ahhhhh... one can dream.

... anyways, good job guys and good luck! Please keep the updates coming!

Most PCI soundcards aren't supported in 10.7/10.8 anymore, because the manufacturers refuse to update the drivers. And i can understand them, they're interested to sell new products instead of wasting their time on supporting outdated 10+ years old technology. I'm selling my RME 9632 card soon, would you like to buy it? :)

Sorry I have a bunch of cards mysel lol.

I have two pci cards in my ML. build so it works ok. The M-Audio Delta 1010 and 44 works really good with the driver you can find in the Audio section here. The other card is an older long 32 and 64 bit card and it works out of the box so probably a lot of different cards probably would work.

Great idea to develop an open firmware and open OS MOBO..........reminds me of the DD-WRT firmware project (Linux based alternative Open Source firmware for a wide range of OEM WLAN routers and embedded systems) which I use on my WLAN routers (Motorola and Buffalo models).........KUDOS to all involved in the project.........it will be even better news if and when it becomes easily available to purchase outside the USA....... :thumbsup_anim:

Clever, really clever! Price is relative to how much effort goes into building the machine, but at this point irrelevant. UEFI makes it all possible. I even fathom Taiwanese board makers will heed the call and soon jump into the fray. Nevertheless, this is the first ever. Frame it and perhaps some days display it at some museum of science!

The LifeQ looks so good, though I don't know how well it ventilates.

It's definitely an interesting idea, but the board definitely seems pricey for what it has to offer. Specifically, in regards to hackintoshing, most modern boards seem to have excellent OSx86 compatibility, with most people will to go the extra mile to do the research to get their particular components working properly.

I agree with besweeet. Haswell is coming next corner. This type project has not enough resource to keep it up to date. Evolution is too fast. It is more effective to focus better and stronger software development, meaning boot loaders and kexts. in my humble opinion.

I hope this project everything well. Of course.

T -.-

I am old men words corny meaning, excuse me this.

I agree with besweeet. Haswell is coming next corner. This type project has not enough resource to keep it up to date. Evolution is too fast. It is more effective to focus better and stronger software development, meaning boot loaders and kexts. in my humble opinion.

I hope this project everything well. Of course.

T -.-

I am old men words corny meaning, excuse me this.

Yes Haswell is comming and we do have plans for it only if it will fit the AOS standards, we don't know yet if will be adopted by Apple so no point to even think on it now.

First step is always harder to make, after that is more easy, and we do have enough resources, just wait and you will see the magic ;)

It's definitely an interesting idea, but the board definitely seems pricey for what it has to offer. Specifically, in regards to hackintoshing, most modern boards seem to have excellent OSx86 compatibility, with most people will to go the extra mile to do the research to get their particular components working properly.

I wont argue on price anymore, is pointless, I will say just this, here the most cheap motherboard with Z77 express chipset and 2 Cactus Ridge Thunderbolt ports is 200 euro not dollars, and is way far from AOS hardware specifications and goodies.

Clever, really clever! Price is relative to how much effort goes into building the machine, but at this point irrelevant. UEFI makes it all possible. I even fathom Taiwanese board makers will heed the call and soon jump into the fray. Nevertheless, this is the first ever. Frame it and perhaps some days display it at some museum of science!

The LifeQ looks so good, though I don't know how well it ventilates.

For sure I will frame it! :)