OS X compatible motherboard -> QUO

meklort
4,397 posts in this topic

Hello dear Quo hive-mind,

I finally decided to give my QUO based system some update love- its been on 10.12.6 and happy there for a long, long time. 

In order to do this i decided to clone my working 10.12.6 drive and then update. I made the clone, and then ran the BIOS update with the mojave compatible version provided by @IronManJFF. This all seemed to go without a hitch. However as soon as i tried to boot the cloned drive i was immediately greeted with the infamous "NO!" screen:

IMG_4472.thumb.JPG.8ca649c79a854610e47e330cc143fd87.JPG

This screen appears almost instantaneously after selecting either the macOS volume, or the recovery volume. 

I can still boot windows as long as i have the cloned or original drive in (the boot loader for windows also seems to be in that EFI partition, which i thought is weird but lets leave that be for now).

Now even when i replace the cloned drive with my original working drive it has the exact same issue.

I tried generating a simple Defaults.plist with proper Macmini 6,2 SMBIOS info just in case that might be an issue but that has not helped.

Here is what i get with F12:

IMG_4471.thumb.JPG.98815c5058b27ae1869b4382794e2535.JPG 

RED is the 10.12.6 clone- and the same name as the original volume that has always booted just fine (but now also wont boot).

And here is what i see when entering the shell:

IMG_4473.thumb.JPG.f34d328966a314a86ca3ffaebc67fea3.JPG

I can get into the EFI and OZ folders just fine, and see my defaults.plist in place- though i don't know why i would need one just to boot into 10.12.6 now (I have yet to start the OS updates).

IMG_4474.thumb.JPG.cbf91afba9a1b6032e6c4c72761e49ae.JPGIMG_4475.thumb.JPG.c1fa74fa6a84a9cb3d59320519771865.JPG

Finally, if i try loading boot.efi manually from the shell i also get the same result.

IMG_4477.thumb.JPG.cbf3905f5c105e0e60b533f86ecd3c64.JPG

Instant "NO!" as though it does not even try to load.

Appreciate the support,

g\

Edited by genzai

48 minutes ago, IronManJFF said:

Did you update BiosDate & BiosVersion in Defaults.plist ?

yes, i have used ozmosis configurator to generate and modify Defaults.plist and it seems to put the correct details in those fields.

Would a non-functioning defaults plist cause even a 10.12.6 drive to fail to boot? it basically flashes black for a split second before giving me that symbol on screen.

If you have a known working plist i would be happy to throw that on and try it though!

Thanks,

g\

2 hours ago, genzai said:

yes, i have used ozmosis configurator to generate and modify Defaults.plist and it seems to put the correct details in those fields.

Would a non-functioning defaults plist cause even a 10.12.6 drive to fail to boot? it basically flashes black for a split second before giving me that symbol on screen.

If you have a known working plist i would be happy to throw that on and try it though!

Thanks,

g\

Here's mine set up for Mojave 10.14.1, less serial nos. I disable NVidia injection as I have an AMD video card.

Defaults.plist

Edited by ntsmkfob
added info
  • Like 1

Thanks,
g\

Totally, if Defaults.plist is rejected, the SMBIOS info is not updated and it will take the value in BIOS which is a MacPro3,1 ... on which you cannot install Your desired OS, hence the no-no sign

On 11/6/2018 at 7:23 PM, IronManJFF said:

I had not much time to work on it .. I tried 10.14.1 update on my 'beta partition' and it exhibits the same problem ... I need to find time to read Ozmosis thread and see if there is something about kernel patching since 10.14.1/10.13.6SU

I noticed that both updates included a new firmware for iMac13 and updated BiosDate and BiosVersion in Defaults.plist but still no go ...

Hmm...

I have an issue that might be connected to this.

My Quo worked fine with Mojave and the first update. Now yesterday I tried to install the 10.14.1 Update and it rendered my Computer useless.

I even deleted everything from HD and tried a clean fresh install, similar to what has been discussed here several times.

Only one HD is connected to make sure I only have the one EFI Partition in System.

The new Ozmosis-generated default.plist sits in the Oz directory.

Reflashed xmax bios.

cleared NVRAM.

when I try to run installer from USB key I get the nice Nono-image shown.

Obviously something changed with that update huh?

attached is the oz generated plist.

any idea?

Defaults.plist

Edited by humba

The Prohibition sign is a sure sign that your Defaults.plist is rejected.

I do not have this issue, The 10.14.1/10.13.6SU installer just give up/crash before the update is complete.

As far as I can tell, The OzConfigurator generated Defaults.plist has never worked correctly with our boards, just take the values for BiosDate and BiosVersion a put it in a working Defaults.plist

Success with 10.13.6SU and 10.14.1.. it was related to Nvidia Web Drivers. You have to disable them during installation

image.png.b83c5ad3469e0003987fae574bfa5591.png

Here is how I did it ...

Run the installer, when it restarts, intercept it by pressing F12 and go into UEFI shell

Select the corresponding partition in shell (in my case it was fs8 because I have multiple drives)

fs8:edit "macOS Install Data\Locked Files\Boot Files\com.apple.boot.plist"

You need to edit the Kernel Flags line so ...

ReplaceKernel Flags-rootdmg-ramdisk auth-root-dmg=file:///macOS%20Install%20Data/Locked%20Files/BaseSystem.dmgByKernel Flagsnv_disable=1 -rootdmg-ramdisk auth-root-dmg=file:///macOS%20Install%20Data/Locked%20Files/BaseSystem.dmg

Now relaunch the installer from the UEFI shell and enjoy the show

"macOS Install Data\Locked Files\Boot Files\boot.efi"

Edited by IronManJFF
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/11/2018 at 4:19 PM, IronManJFF said:

Success with 10.13.6SU and 10.14.1.. it was related to Nvidia Web Drivers. You have to disable them during installation

image.png.b83c5ad3469e0003987fae574bfa5591.png

Here is how I did it ...

Run the installer, when it restarts, intercept it by pressing F12 and go into UEFI shell

Select the corresponding partition in shell (in my case it was fs8 because I have multiple drives)

fs8:edit "macOS Install Data\Locked Files\Boot Files\com.apple.boot.plist"

You need to edit the Kernel Flags line so ...

ReplaceKernel Flags-rootdmg-ramdisk auth-root-dmg=file:///macOS%20Install%20Data/Locked%20Files/BaseSystem.dmgByKernel Flagsnv_disable=1 -rootdmg-ramdisk auth-root-dmg=file:///macOS%20Install%20Data/Locked%20Files/BaseSystem.dmg

Now relaunch the installer from the UEFI shell and enjoy the show

edit "macOS Install Data\Locked Files\Boot Files\boot.efi"

Thanks for working this out. However, I can't edit the plist file, as the Locked Files folder  is ...Locked! so the shell edit command can't save the updated file.

Also, is the 'edit "macOS Install Data\Locked Files\Boot Files\boot.efi"' line meant to reload the install process - ie the edit is a typo?

1 hour ago, IronManJFF said:

You edit it from UEFI shell, not Terminal

Typo corrected, thanks for pointing it out

It's in the UEFI shell that I'm editting it. I don't think there is an edit app in the Mac OS.

But you've given me an idea...

I editted the file using sudo nano in Terminal, then rebooted to the shell and ran the boot.efi in the Locked Files\Boot Files folder and the update worked.

Thanks (again) for your help.

Edited by ntsmkfob
More info

So I am a step behind in this I am wanting to upgrade to HSierra from Sierra. I thought I read correctly with my set up now I have waited this long all I had to do was run the set up because my drivers were now supported.  HSierra and now I have beach ball grey screen. Where do I start?

Z77MX-QUO-AOS

i7-3770K 3.5 GHz

Corsair Vengeance 24GB

EVGA GeForce GTX650Ti Boost

Edited by kevinaba

On 11/8/2018 at 10:39 AM, IronManJFF said:

Totally, if Defaults.plist is rejected, the SMBIOS info is not updated and it will take the value in BIOS which is a MacPro3,1 ... on which you cannot install Your desired OS, hence the no-no sign

Thanks @IronManJFF,

So the main crux of my issues was indeed the Defaults plist. Bummer that the ones generated from Ozmosis Configurator don't seem to be loading or working properly. I was able to boot back in to my original drive after modifying and using the defaults plist that @ntsmkfob provided. Thanks man. Then was able to clone, boot the clone and update. 10.14 installer still would just hang immediately at the apple logo, so i decided to try 10.13.6 instead and that went well. Was able to install the latest SU as well using a combo of @IronManJFF's instructions for editing the boot plist and forcing a second boot from the installer folder's boot.efi after the first reboot.

I did all the updates with imac13,2 smbios but eventually reverted back to macmini6,2 because imac13,2 still disabled some USB ports i use. I am still not sure why i cant seem to boot a 10.14 usb installer or a fresh 10.14 drive made on another computer, but i decided i would re-install my GTX 970 into this system for now so i'll stay on 10.13.6 anyway, at least until there are nvidia drivers for 10.14.x

Anyway, thanks all- especially @IronManJFF and @ntsmkfob.

g\

PS- If you end up making any new updated BIOS versions with other improvements, it might be best to change the default SMBIOS info in the BIOS so that it is iMac 13,2 or something thats likely to remain macOS compatible for a while. I'd think its safe to assume anyone updating to these later BIOS versions are doing so primarily for new OS support, and adding APFS support for instance certainly is in line with this.

Edited by genzai

9 hours ago, kevinaba said:

So I am a step behind in this I am wanting to upgrade to HSierra from Sierra. I thought I read correctly with my set up now I have waited this long all I had to do was run the set up because my drivers were now supported.  HSierra and now I have beach ball grey screen. Where do I start?

Z77MX-QUO-AOS

i7-3770K 3.5 GHz

Corsair Vengeance 24GB

EVGA GeForce GTX650Ti Boost

Take the firmware and biosversion / date info from the defaults.plist I attached a few msgs ago, and load it into nvram.

PS- If you end up making any new updated BIOS versions with other improvements, it might be best to change the default SMBIOS info in the BIOS so that it is iMac 13,2 or something thats likely to remain macOS compatible for a while. I'd think its safe to assume anyone updating to these later BIOS versions are doing so primarily for new OS support, and adding APFS support for instance certainly is in line with this.

The reason I did not burn iMac13,2 or MacMini6,2 into the firmware Default.plist is that it make it so obvious to spot when your Defaults.plist is rejected ... you get the no-no sign.
  • Like 1

Hi there!

I know this is to basic now, but I can't find my defaults.plist file.

I have check both SSD I have on my system (the one currrently booting with El Capitan, and a spare one)

This is the boot disk

1714276669_Screenshot2018-11-1519_51_35.png.b476f4c0b30b62d776616a027bba7e77.png

and this is the spare disk (it was the original boot disk with Yosemite)

324880396_Screenshot2018-11-1519_51_55.png.cedce9a2ca4580f8abeca4ae208a2e5c.png

All the folders are empty, 

Maybe I are hidden files and I need to use some sort of utility to see the contents?

Thank you!

On 6/3/2018 at 4:03 PM, IronManJFF said:

I had to adjust BiosDate and BiosVersion for it to go (used small update) ... Apple bundle a Firmware Update for iMac13 in 10.13.5 (and updated apfs.efi)

You can do it like this

sudo nvram 4D1FDA02-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B30102:BiosDate=04/09/2018
sudo nvram 4D1FDA02-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B30102:BiosVersion=IM131.88Z.0115.B00.1804091830

Also made corresponding adjustment in Defaults.plist 

Hello, I now have a correct Default.plist, but I am puzzled on how to change the bios date and version. I don't have access to a working OSX on my AOS Z77 board, so I am wondering how I do this in the EFI shell. I am running what I believe to be the latest BIOS version Z77MXQUOAOS.H20.167X-XMAX.ROM. According to the dmpstore the BIOS date is 02/29/08 and the version is MP31.88Z.006C.Bo5.0802291410. Right now, I get the stop sign as soon as I try booting from the Mohave installer USB. Attach is my Default.plist. Thank you, Tim

Defaults.plist

You can put the defaults.plist onto a USB stick, boot to the shell, then do ls fs1: ls fs2: until you find the USB stick and the EFI partition. Then use cp fsx:\defaults.plist fsy:\EFI\OZ substituting the correct file system numbers for x and y - or something like that.....

PS - usually the serial and boardserial are identical until the 5 extra chars on the boardserial.

Edited by ntsmkfob
More info

55 minutes ago, tlogan23 said:

Hello, I now have a correct Default.plist, but I am puzzled on how to change the bios date and version. I don't have access to a working OSX on my AOS Z77 board, so I am wondering how I do this in the EFI shell. I am running what I believe to be the latest BIOS version Z77MXQUOAOS.H20.167X-XMAX.ROM. According to the dmpstore the BIOS date is 02/29/08 and the version is MP31.88Z.006C.Bo5.0802291410. Right now, I get the stop sign as soon as I try booting from the Mohave installer USB. Attach is my Default.plist. Thank you, Tim

Defaults.plist

ok, just remembered that I have a clover based installer, so I am booting off it and accessing the terminal from there. Hopefully that will take care of my stop sign problem.

49 minutes ago, tlogan23 said:

ok, just remembered that I have a clover based installer, so I am booting off it and accessing the terminal from there. Hopefully that will take care of my stop sign problem.

Throwing more complexity at the problem will not help.  Do not install from Clover if you intend to use it with Ozmosis.

Make sure your Defaults.plist in on FS0:/EFI/Oz/Defaults.plist and that it contains these values

<key>BiosDate</key>
<string>17/09/2018</string>
<key>BiosVersion</key>
<string>IM131.88Z.F000.B00.1809171346</string>

and REMEMBER TO CLEAR NVRAM SO THE NEW VALUES WILL TAKE EFFECT

2 hours ago, ntsmkfob said:

You can put the defaults.plist onto a USB stick, boot to the shell, then do ls fs1: ls fs2: until you find the USB stick and the EFI partition. Then use cp fsx:\defaults.plist fsy:\EFI\OZ substituting the correct file system numbers for x and y - or something like that.....

PS - usually the serial and boardserial are identical until the 5 extra chars on the boardserial.

I already have this. As I said, the only way I could set the nvram was to use one of my clover usb, so I could access terminal. So now the date and version in nvram matches what IronManJff

53 minutes ago, IronManJFF said:

Throwing more complexity at the problem will not help.  Do not install from Clover if you intend to use it with Ozmosis.

Make sure your Defaults.plist in on FS0:/EFI/Oz/Defaults.plist and that it contains these values

<key>BiosDate</key>
<string>17/09/2018</string>
<key>BiosVersion</key>
<string>IM131.88Z.F000.B00.1809171346</string>

and REMEMBER TO CLEAR NVRAM SO THE NEW VALUES WILL TAKE EFFECT

Ok I've adjusted my Default.plist to the above data and did the 4 finger salute. I try booting from the Mohave (non-clover version) and I still get the crossed circle. As I said I am just using the clover usb so I can gain access to a terminal to set nvram. I also notice, that if I go into the efi shell, and do the dmpstore, the date and version does not match.

On 11/15/2018 at 9:35 PM, IronManJFF said:

Check within UEFI shell ...

Hi there!

I have tried UEFI shell

The systems appears to be in fs1

and the EFI on fs3

but again all folders are empty.

Where I cant look now?

where the defaults.plist file mus be located?

Thank you al lot (again!)