OS X compatible motherboard -> QUO

meklort
4,397 posts in this topic

18 minutes ago, BALDY_MAN said:

i thank the card will work out of the box. in 10.13.6.

so just plug in the card and disable the cpu graphics ( or set the RX580 to be the first  card the os sees)

Admittedly, I haven't tried it yet. I'll test it and report my findings.

• 1 month later...

Installed successfully on my test partition with nothing special to do. Nvidia has still not released drivers yet so it stays on me test partition for now

Of course, you have to have the XMAX firmware image 

Edited by IronManJFF

IronManJFF, you are the man. Thank you for helping keep these boards alive!

Mojave installed just fine on my board. After the installation I cloned a clean install over from the APFS partition to a Mac OS Extended (Journaled) disk then ran the migration assistant. 

Now I wait patiently for Nvidia to catch up with those web drivers.

Screen Shot 2018-09-25 at 8.58.41 PM.png

hmmm..

just tried today with Mojave on this board.

Installer runs fine but after reboot and final installation I get the error:

macOS could not be installed.

There is an error checking the firmware ...

might not be accurate error message as its German on my Mac.

Any idea?

50 minutes ago, humba said:

Any idea?

Did you make the necessary changes to the Defaults.plist file??

EDIT: I’m assuming you didn’t already have the beta, and are installing from HighSierra or lower...

Edited by Casm101

On 1/27/2013 at 5:48 PM, polkaholga said:

where is your Bios Please can you post it

On 8/6/2018 at 6:11 PM, elviejo said:

Finally success, using the ROM provided by IronManJFF and an actualized with Ozmosis Configurator config.plist mac mini 6,2 and the Beta Developer 6.:thumbsup_anim:

Screen-Shot-2018-08-06-at-6_00.thumb.jpg.e2c99fa8f4af268d54b8b0d26f183f60.jpg

5 hours ago, Casm101 said:

EDIT: I’m assuming you didn’t already have the beta, and are installing from HighSierra or lower...

Yup, did all that, it just failed to install Mojave over Sierra.

Funny part though: I upgraded to high sierra first THEN to Mojave and voila, it works.

Only thing that's not working is my WIFI-Card TL-WDN4800 N900 but thats no surprise it seems. Gonna find me the proper kext or just get a compatible one..

the bcfg procedure was necessary though to get it running after install, thanks a lot for the info found here!

Bildschirmfoto 2018-09-26 um 22.54.12.jpg

P.S.: IO80211Family.kext worked for me, WiFi back up :-)

Edited by humba

Please can you post the Bios

On 9/26/2018 at 11:55 AM, Casm101 said:

where is the bios IronManJFF and an actualized with Ozmosis Configurator config.plist mac mini 6,2 and the Beta Developer 6.:thumbsup_anim:

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Again!

Thanks to IronManJFF I have been running my QUO motherboard with El Capitan for 3 years now without a single problem, but now I'm forced to update, as the applications I commonly use (Final Cut Pro, Pages, Keynote, etc..) are not compatible with El Capitan anymore, so it's time to update the System of my reliable QUO (actually more than the 2013 Macpros I have seen).

Before entering a nightmare like the last time when I updated from Yosemite to El Capitan that had both of us IronManJFF and online for a couple of weekends. I would like to check the steps I'm going to do, just to see if any of you see any problem with the procedure I'm going to use, so thanks to all in advance!

I currently have BIOS Z77MXQUOAOS.H2O.167X-MASS.ROM modified by IronManJFF

On the BIOS setup page reads as Z77MX.QUO.AOS.H20.1512242359 if is useful info.

The graphics card I have is an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2989 MB (I have his model because my Mac is a rack-mountable Low Profile Enclosure

What I plan to do

1. From my Macbook Pro (2017 model) install and setup Mojave  in a brand new SSD 

2. On my QUO update the firmware from the current versión to BIOS version Z77MXQUOAOS.H20.167X-XMAX.ROM that I have downloaded from the top of this very same page

3. Plug the new SSD  keeping the current SSD with El Capitan

4. Booth normally with the current El Capitan SSD and change the boot disk from the current El Capitan SSD to the new  Mojave SSD

5. Reboot the computer and cross fingers everything will work fine.

A. Will this work that easy?

B. Do I have to add/modifiy something else?

C. Will I be able to run the El Capitan SSD with the new BIOS?

D. What will happen with the NVIDIA drivers?

E. Anything else to have in account?

Thank you in advance!!

Edited by jjrecort

A - D) Nvidia Web Drivers are not yet available for Mojave ...don't go Mojave yet. If you are to upgrade at this time go for High Sierra.

B) The installation can be performed on the QUO itself, no need to install from your MacBook Pro. The most important thing you need to do is to upgrade your Defaults.plist file (BiosVersion and Bios Date, FF, FFM) and Firmware (bios) prior to installation. Once done, you can install from a USB stick onto your new SSD.

C) Haven't tried

E) Do you plan long term to keep El Capitan or is is just as a failsafe ? Remember that your Defaults.plist is on the El Capitan disk even if you boot from the new SSD (assuming the El Cap SSD is plugged into SATA(0,0), so you have to copy it to the new drive before unplugging.

Hi IronManJFF!

Thanks (again) for your support

A-D, I do actually don't need Mojave, but if I have to update, I was thinking to do it to the latest to avoid having to update again in a year.

I'm thinking to change the Graphics card and move to AMD, as are better for Final Cut Pro, which is my main GPU consuming app.

I'm thinking of the WX4100, will this work without extra drivers?

E) Is just a failsafe, I will keep the SSD with Capitan as a secondary drive on the computer

But thank you for the advice. I didn't know the defaults.plis was physcally on the disc attached to SAT0,0

I will start from here and try the update this weekend!

I am seeing reports of trouble with WX4100 ...

Apple has added support for these AMD cards in 10.13.4 (no extra drivers)

Sapphire RX 580 Pulse 8GB

XFX RX 580 8GB 

Sapphire RX 570 Pulse 8GB 

XFX RX 570 8GB 

Sapphire Vega 56 8GB

XFX Vega 56 8GB

Sapphire Vega 64 8GB

AMD Radeon Vega Frontier Edition Air 

AMD Pro WX 7100 8GB

AMD Radeon Pro WX 9100

Many thanks to @IronManJFF, ,@Cecekpawon and @TypeThree for putting the BIOS together. Took the plunge to update my live system today, having installed an MSI ITX Aero RX560 graphics card. Everything working except sound (again). I'll stick with it, so if anyone has any ideas about getting sound working, I'd be grateful.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, IronManJFF said:

Sound from the motherboard or from the RX560 ?

Motherboard. I use the optical s/pdif out into a DAC into a Sonos ZP90 into a modded Lepai 2020A amp. If I use the Line out (Green) directly to the amp I get a load of hiss that varies in volume as I move the BT mouse around.

Hi IronManJFF, thanks for checking. VoodooHDA is getting injected in the bdmesg output (below), which matches the HS output, and the Sound panel is essentially the same as yours. If I select the SPDIF output and then start iTunes, it immediately switches to a Line Out port. I'll order a USB to DAC device from Amazon and do what you're doing with the iTrack Solo, but cheaper!

07:856 00:000 Found Intel Panther Point HDA Controller [8086:1E20] PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1B,0x0)
07:857 00:001 Found HDA Codec #2: ALC892 [10EC:0892] Rev 0x03 Stepping 0x02
07:864 00:006  Injected PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1B,0x0) - "layout-id" = 03 00 00 00  (4) - Success
07:864 00:000  Injected PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1B,0x0) - "PinConfigurations" = 10 40 01 01 30 10 01 01 20 60 01 01 40 90 A1 01 70 90 A1 02 60 30 81 01 80 40 21 02 50 11 45 01  (32) - Success
07:864 00:000  Injected PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1B,0x0) - "AFGLowPowerState" = 01 00 00 00  (4) - Success
07:864 00:000  Injected PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1B,0x0) - "MaximumBootBeepVolume" = 73  (1) - Success
07:864 00:000  Injected PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1B,0x0) - "platformFamily" = 00  (1) - Success

On 10/9/2018 at 12:27 AM, IronManJFF said:

I am seeing reports of trouble with WX4100 ...

Apple has added support for these AMD cards in 10.13.4 (no extra drivers)

Sapphire RX 580 Pulse 8GB

XFX RX 580 8GB 

Sapphire RX 570 Pulse 8GB 

XFX RX 570 8GB 

Sapphire Vega 56 8GB

XFX Vega 56 8GB

Sapphire Vega 64 8GB

AMD Radeon Vega Frontier Edition Air 

AMD Pro WX 7100 8GB

AMD Radeon Pro WX 9100

Thank you a lot IronManJFF,

The 580 and 570 are also good for FCPX, and the WX9100 is a dream I can't afford :)

But I see all the boards are Standard Profile, this means I need to change the enclosure and have a bulkier box under my desk.

So for now I will follow your advice and go for High Sierra until I do the major change of the computer case.

Is the BIOS posted on this page good for High Sierra also?

Attached a photo of my sleek CPU

It's also rack mountable so I can take it with me in a flight case when I'm on tour

And it has a dock for 3x 5-1/4 HDDs without caddy

Thank you!

image1.jpeg

So for now I will follow your advice and go for High Sierra until I do the major change of the computer case.
Is the BIOS posted on this page good for High Sierra also?

Absolutely.. update Defaults.plist first
If I select the SPDIF output and then start iTunes, it immediately switches to a Line Out port
I am seeing the same behavior in Mojave and High Sierra 10.13.6 and I think it it because the SPDIF port is defined at 44.8kHz and iTunes wants a 44.1Khz port .. so it reverts to the previously selected port .. in my case it goes to my iTrack Solo